Kaikoura, New Zealand - More Pubs Ban Israelis Over Gaza Operation

Published on: January 16, 2009 11:18 AM
By: VIN News credit to local NZ Blogger

Kaikoura, New Zealand - The owner of the Strawberry Tree, a local pub in the town of Kaikoura, New Zealand, placed a sign outside its door reading, “Israelis not welcome before shelling (in Gaza) stops”. The owner, who previously worked as a photojournalist in Gaza, also has a sign that reads “Free Palestine” inside the pub.

A few days ago two other Israeli tourists encountered a similar restriction at a café located in another part of the country.
Kaikoura, located on the east coast of New Zealand’s South Island, is a tourist hub known for its dolphin shows.

Circuit City Stores Inc., the nation's second-biggest consumer electronics retailer, reached an agreement with liquidators on Friday to sell the merchandise in its 567... New York City - Giulio Farnese and Natale Pinetti went from ferry crewmen members to hero rescuers when the US Airways jet splashed down in front of them in the Hudson...

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM Anonymous Says:

everybody please be mispalel that these places go out of business

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:54 AM Traveler Says:

It would help if Israelis and Jews didn't flock as tourists to countries such as New Zealand.

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:15 PM robroy560 Says:

Are yellow stars next?

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:26 PM Anonymous Says:

vois hut ah yid tzi zichen in ah pub

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM Anonymous Says:

They r sooo down under in NZ they r practicly fallen off the globe what do you expect a bunch of martian "bloaks" who presumably never traveled to the centre of the rea world to think? isrealies/jew for that matter have horns?! there isn't a large jewish or isrealy presence there they are a buch of ignorant "out of towners" rather off the globers!what a bunch of fools I can't see such a sign last a minute in NYC!

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:57 PM YANKEL Says:

I don't see this as a problem. If hospitals refused to serve them it would be different, but these are traif eating places, where the Jewish Israelis shouldn't have eaten in the first place. Now if we can only get the Burger Kings and McDonalds worldwide to join in.

Jan 16, 2009 at 01:33 PM Anonymous Says:

YANKEL Says:

Good point- sometimes apparent anti-semitism does force Jews to be Jewish.
But do they not have any anti-discrimination laws in this country, any courts? or are they "kangaroo courts", no offense meant ,Australians. I will stop buying and eating kiwis.

Jan 16, 2009 at 02:03 PM Anonymous Says:

Good question, #6. I am an American lawyer, and of course, the policy would be illegal here. Anyone know about New Zealand jurisprudence?

Jan 16, 2009 at 02:55 PM Anonymous Says:

I'm a Jew and I'm going to boycott Arab products and services . . . uh, let's see . . . that is, if I can think of any.

Jan 17, 2009 at 08:30 PM Anonymous Says:

I was so upset I phoned the Consul and spoke with him. He told me in no uncertain terms that they were aware of the situation and it is blatantly against everything they stand for and against the law over there, their laws on discrimination read very similar to ours. The actual decision of pressing charges is a local decision but he stressed that he and all levels of the NZ government were aware and watching the NZ situation.

Jan 17, 2009 at 08:16 PM NYCESQ Says:

"I'm a Jew and I'm going to boycott Arab products and services . . . uh, let's see . . . that is, if I can think of any"
Hmm, let me think, how about all the gas you use for your minvan/suburban.

Jan 17, 2009 at 08:15 PM Tracey NZ Says:

Traveler Says:

Check your facts...They dont!!!

The turkish cafe owner is who you should be venting against! we dont want middle eastern warmongering here, we are a peaceful nation.

Jan 17, 2009 at 08:11 PM Tracey NZ Says:

Yes it is illegal here & most NZers aren't happy about these people bringing their bigoted ideas here!!

Jan 17, 2009 at 08:08 PM Tracey NZ Says:

To annonymous...Get your facts right & learn to spell !!!!
The cafe owners that refused to serve the Israeli women are Turkish!!! They may have residency but that doesn't make them Kiwis!!!
We may be at he bottom of the world but at least we can spell!! You sound like an ignorant moron who should find out what NZers think before you talk!!!

Jan 16, 2009 at 03:53 PM aron gottesman Says:

there is one...OIL!! stop driving OK.

Jan 16, 2009 at 02:27 PM Anonymous Says:

I've been in New Zealand twice, great country
and freedom of speech is granted.
If somebody doesn't like Jewish has the right to write it, the owner of the pub also stated why he doesn't want them : "because they are shelling Gaza"...and probably killing innocent civilians .

Jan 17, 2009 at 09:42 PM Anonymous Says:

Here in New York it is very easy to boycott. I did it myself last week in a discount store. They had 2 types of towels one made in Pakistan the other in China.Just check the labels. We can all do it and tell the store owners!!

Jan 17, 2009 at 09:47 PM Anonymous Says:

agree that's why they are so down under!

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:57 PM Anonymous Says:

vois hut ah yid tzi zichen in ah pub

I agree with you However the issue is their level of yiddishkeit. Remember Hitler didn't care how yiddish you were.

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:59 PM Anonymous Says:

vois hut ah yid tzi zichen in ah pub

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:28 AM Nigel Fleming Says:

I’m astonished to see people making hateful, ignorant, and offensive anonymous posts about New Zealand on the strength of the illegal actions of 2 or 3 of its citizens.

As a non-Jewish New Zealander, I am proud to support Israel’s right to defend itself from attack. Israel is under constant assault and has every moral right to fight back.

Israel has many friends here and although there is robust public debate, New Zealand’s government has not uttered one single word of criticism against the state of Israel over the recent Gaza operations. The local protests here have been miserably small and the clear majority of protesters have been Islamic immigrants. And did I mention the fact that our prime minister is Jewish? Would a nation of anti-Semites elect a Jewish leader?

And for those American Jews negatively contrasting New Zealand with the United States, let me say this; something else I’m immensely proud of is the fact that both my Kiwi grandfathers were fighting the Nazis when Americans were happily doing the jitterbug and refusing to ‘get involved’ in a European war, so how about showing a little respect?

Long Live Israel!

Jan 18, 2009 at 09:33 AM Anonymous Says:

Dear Mr.Fleming! thank you and your friends for your inspiring support for Israel. We seem to be getting such unfair press all the time, and your support of a country that should not be forced to defend itself all of the time is a bit of relief. I understand NZ is a wonderful place, it certainly has the very finest representative. Please continue with your support, we need you!

Jan 19, 2009 at 05:21 PM Tracey NZ Says:

Nigel Fleming Says:

Long Live Israel!

Well said Nigel! Ive been amazed at the ignorant comments made on this site against NZ (& Israel).
Too many forget that Israeli "citizens" (yes, they do have them!) have had rockets fired at them for 8 years. Personally I think its about thime they put a stop to it. Who else would put up with that?