Berkeley, CA - Ann Coulter Rejects Berkeley's Bid To Reschedule Speech

Published on: April 21, 2017 09:52 AM
By: Reuters
FILE - Commentator Ann Coulter gestures as she addresses the Conservative Political Action conference (CPAC) in Washington, February 12, 2011.  REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst FILE - Commentator Ann Coulter gestures as she addresses the Conservative Political Action conference (CPAC) in Washington, February 12, 2011.  REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

Berkeley, CA - Conservative commentator Ann Coulter said on Thursday she could not speak at the University of California, Berkeley, on a new date chosen by the university and intended to show up for the original event, which was canceled over security fears.

Officials at U.C. Berkeley, who abruptly canceled her planned April 27 speech on Wednesday citing security concerns, reversed course on Thursday and rescheduled the event for May 2.

U.C. Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks said in a statement the university had canceled the April 27 event based on specific threats “that could pose a grave danger to the speaker.“Dirks said the university, in its commitment to free speech, had found an “appropriate, protectable” venue where Coulter’s speech could go forward in a safe environment on May 2.

However Coulter, who had vowed after the cancellation to show up for her April 27 speech anyway, said she and her security detail could not arrange to be on campus on May 2 ” ... and there will be no students there that week!”

“So I’m planning on speaking on the 27th as scheduled. Maybe they will arrest me,” she said in an email to Reuters.

The university’s academic calendar shows that May 1-5 is a “reading/ review/ recitation period” before final exams.

Harmeet Dhillon, an attorney representing two groups organizing Coulter’s speech, also sent a letter to the university on Thursday demanding she be allowed to speak on the original date.

One of the country’s best-known conservative pundits, Coulter had been scheduled to speak to a college Republican club about her 2015 book, “¬°Adios, America!: The Left’s Plan to Turn Our Country Into a Third World Hellhole.”

Berkeley is known as the birthplace of the student-led Free Speech Movement of the 1960s. As with other U.S. colleges and universities, it has tried to find a balance between ideological openness, student safety and student opposition to what some describe as “hate speech.”

Several conservative speakers have been met with disruptive, sometimes violent, protests when invited to speak at U.S. universities with liberal-leaning student bodies in recent months.

In canceling Coulter’s speech on Wednesday, UC Berkeley cited violence that broke out at the campus in February, hours before right-wing media personality Milo Yiannopoulos was scheduled to speak there.

U.S. President Donald Trump, who had taken office just days earlier, threatened to cut off funding to the school after the violence surrounding Yiannopoulos’ planned lecture and U.C. Berkeley’s decision to cancel it.

Highland, NY - A former IBM employee who is deaf says a sign language miscommunication with his lawyer caused him to accept a lowball offer in an earlier discrimination... West Bank - From deep within an Israeli prison, Palestinian uprising leader Marwan Barghouti has once again thrust himself to the forefront of the Israeli-Palestinian...

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:12 AM Educated Archy Says:

In yonasonw and hashomers world free speech is only a threat if we try to limit the nyt from printing endless scandals and classified information . But Berkeley can do what they want . How about we tell the nyt that for security reasons don't print the torture gitmo memos for example ? Is that less of a security concern vs Ann coulters security at Berkeley ?

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:13 PM Anonymous Says:

Educated Archy Says:

It's time for me to ask you for mechila. For months now, I've been sitting on the sidelines, reading your comments and being entertained by them, laughing at you, when I really should have contacted you in some way to let you know how badly your comments reflect on you and what an embarrassment they are. I rationalized to myself that no one could ever link your online persona to you as a real person, but I feel less comfortable with that now that you've changed your online ID to something that sounds like it may have a reference to a real name.

I didn't single out this particular comment for any special reason. It just was time. In this particular comment, your sickness just expresses itself in its need root your comment in what seems to be your personal "enemies list", ie. anyone who dares disagree with. My attitude had been to laugh at you, "Like you think anyone cares that you're too insecure to accept that someone might disagree with you". But I really should have cared, and I shouldn't have laughed at your sickness and mussar deficiencies. This site doesn't have a way to send you an off-line personal message, so here it is, because your ID is still semi-anonymous. Seek help.

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:28 PM Esther Says:

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing;your post is just extraordinarily nasty.

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:09 PM Educated Archy Says:

Excuse me but I always act civil and polite . Unlike other vin commenters I never personally attack anyone via calling them stupid or racist , demogauge etc .. And I never tell anyone to seek help . I debate issues in an intellectual manner . I totally respect other opinions . In fact Esther so eleqountley pointed out a while ago that I should not say all
Arabs hate us rather most Muslims hate us . And I respected and accepted that despite my reservations . But respecting other opinions does not mean that I can't debate or question them. And I can call on
those commenters that so vehmentlley defend free speech when it's under attack under Trump to do the same when the left attacks free speech . I don't think that's disrespecting anyone else opinion .

Now please address the substance of the issue . Should free speech advocates be concerned about berkleys discrimination ? If no
Why not ?

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:44 AM Jew Lover Arab Hater Says:

Ironically you're the one who looks bad here. Bad mouthing/laughing at someone because they voiced their opinion as in free speech. Nothing at all wrong with that when you're the one doing it, but you can't accept when others voice their opinions. Like I said, she's who the big person is & who the lowly person is.