Borough Park, NY - NYC Mayor To Hold First Town Hall Meeting In Brooklyn’s Jewish Area

Published on: May 12, 2017 01:30 PM

Borough Park, NY - A town hall meeting with Mayor Bill de Blasio taking place next week in Borough Park may be the first event of its kind ever to be held in the midst of Brooklyn’s Orthodox Jewish community.

The meeting, taking place on May 16th, is being hosted by City Councilman David Greenfield.

“I reached out to the mayor a while ago once I heard he was doing these kinds of meetings in the city,” Greenfield told VIN News. “I thought it would be a great opportunity for our community to be able to bring their concerns directly to the mayor.”

de Blasio will be bring his top advisors with him to the town hall event which is intended to give residents of Borough Park, Flatbush, Bensonhurst and Kensington a chance to discuss issues directly with the mayor.  To the best of his knowledge, this event is the first of its kind, said Greenfield.

“As long as I have been around, I have never seen this before in Flatbush in Borough Park,” noted Greenfield.

Even as a city councilman, Greenfield said there he himself has run into brick walls on occasion, noting that his efforts to get a traffic light installed at the corner of 18th Avenue and 56th streets near the newly renovated 18th Avenue Park, have so far not borne fruit.  Greenfield said that he intends to ask the mayor to do his part to get a traffic light installed to provide greater safety to the many people who have been enjoying the park since it reopened last summer.

The town hall will be held at FDR High School on 20th Avenue and 58th Street.  500 seats are available for the event, and an additional large area will be set up to accommodate the expected overflow.  The event is free to the public, but RSVPs are recommended to reserve seating in the main room.

Since announcing the event to the public this past Tuesday, 350 people have already RSVPed and received tickets for the town hall, said Greenfield.  Doors will be opening at 6 PM and will close at 7:30 PM.  Greenfield encouraged participants, even those who hold tickets for the event to come on time.

“You need to be there by 7 PM to have a guaranteed seat,” said Greenfield. “We reserve the right to give your seat away if aren’t there on time.”

Greenfield is hopeful that there will be a large turnout for the town hall which he described as an opportunity to address issues, both large and small.

“When you are speaking directly to the mayor, there is an extra level of accomplishment and you can literally get things done just by showing up,” said Greenfield.

The town hall meeting is co-sponsored by Community Boards 12 and 14, NYPD 66th and 70th Precinct Community Council, the Boro Park Jewish Community Council, COJO of Flatbush, Chinese American Social Service Center and Sephardic Bikur Holim.  To RSVP for tickets, email TownHallRSVP@cityhall.nyc.gov or call 212-748-0281 by 12 noon, May 15th.

Huntington, NY - At a Roman Catholic high school in New York's Long Island suburbs, two dozen visiting Muslim students knelt and prayed while teens in uniform blazers... Nicosia - Palestinian officials are planning for the territory to have its own digital-only currency within five years, a move designed to safeguard against potential...

May 12, 2017 at 01:48 PM triumphinwhitehouse Says:

the Mayor has done these in literally 2 dozen other city council locales of 51, so the frum naïve people in these areas to think the mayor is coming to them specifically, also its an election year and the mayor represented much of Borough Park before it was redistricted. He knows our issues like tuition yet is best friends with UFT, he claims to like Israel yet loves Linda Sarsour. Greenfield is not his priority , Jumaane Williams is. The mayor has raised property taxes, made it unbearable to drive in NYC, the subways are atrocious, yet says he gave us $25 million to share with Catholics AND Muslims for private school security and said he will fight any tax credit for tuition paying parents in Albany. He came to Borough Park 3 times in the last 3 years all to pay shiva calls to his frum donors. Greenfield saying "as long as I been around" isn't impressive hes been around 2 terms and half of that was with de bozo.

May 12, 2017 at 02:17 PM Anonymous Says:

I like what he's done with traffic and parking. Crime is down. The neighborhood is getting too old; we need more young families buying homes. Maybe property taxes should be raised more, especially for people who flip houses or own more than one home for 'investment'. That might make it easier for young families to live here. Overall, I don't have a problem with this mayor.

May 12, 2017 at 02:52 PM Reubies Says:

You like what he's done with traffic and parking. What exactly has the mayor done for parking and traffic? If you drive around Boro Park I think you'll certainly come up with a rather different conclusion. Next, how do you think raising property taxes will make housing more affordable?
I personally would rather not have the mayor try to fix these problems. We've seen the cement dividers he put up on Fort Hamilton to cure traffic problems. Luckily most of those were removed but the rest of the communities where they were installed weren't that lucky. It's like the story of Chelm where the overcrowded house was filled with farm animals.
I just hope that we'll have a good strong alternative to DeBlasio come next election.

May 12, 2017 at 03:14 PM MrSmith Says:

You are a retard!

May 12, 2017 at 04:17 PM Anonymous Says:

MrSmith Says:

You are a retard!

Spoken like a bottom-dwelling house-flipper.

May 12, 2017 at 05:16 PM yaakov doe Says:

I haven't noticed any improvement with either traffic or parking and in the neighborhoods I frequent it's gotten worse. Both problems and be blamed in part on the proliferation of TLC cars for services like Uber. I also can't understand how raising taxes would make it easier for young families. My taxes have increased 4 fold in recent years and are approaching what our suburban neighbors pay.

May 12, 2017 at 05:29 PM Reply to AON #2, Like what he's Says:

I really can't fathom where you are coming from!
Most new Yorkers are appalled at the obvious increase in violent crime, statistics notwithstanding.
I am not sure how property taxes affect flippers any differently and how you expect to solve the problem. I am very affected by increased real estate taxes on commercial buildings and that is the real problem. By the way, most places in the USA have higher taxes than NYC.
Traffic is a real issue and the Mayor's progressive push to support bikers and bike lanes is a huge issue. Nostrand Ave and Rogers Ave have a lane reserved for Busses and it is attrocious, worse tha anytime in the last 50 years. The worst part is that there is no enforcement of neither parking nor bus lane use. It almost seems as though the no enforcement policy is official NYC protection of minorities that live nearby and vote.
So, in short, I can not fathom what you are talking about!

May 12, 2017 at 07:09 PM yamsar Says:

Reply to AON #2, Like what he's Says:

I really can't fathom where you are coming from!
So, in short, I can not fathom what you are talking about!

Really?! Try driving in the bus lane on Rogers... be sure to keep an eye out for that $115 penalty in the mail. Courtesy of NYC traffic cams.

May 13, 2017 at 10:17 PM Anonymous Says:

It's better that the Mayor comes into Borough Park to talk to the residents, than for Bloomberg and Kelly to send their strong armed goons (riot squads of the NYPD) into Borough Park, as they did during Chol Hamoed Pesach, of 2006. I just hope that our people will treat the Mayor with derech eretz.

May 13, 2017 at 10:53 PM Anonymous comment #2 Says:

Explanation of how raising taxes on house flippers helps young families.

The almana or yorshim knows nothing about business or real estate, and house flipper looks and talks ehrlich instead of the home going on the market, the flipper swindles them and flips the home to a hug price unaffordable to young families. Tax the flipper to make it not profitable, and the almana gets a better price on sale, the young family gets an affordable price.

May 13, 2017 at 11:14 PM No, yamsar Says:

yamsar Says:

Yes, certain sections have photo ticketing.
I stand by my previous statement. No Standing enforcement is non existent except in the rare case that a Jew stops his car. I have witnessed many cars being ignored by traffic agents because the driver was in the car or nearby. My personal experiences always end with a ticket.
It seems that minorities driving cars in the bus lane are exempt from NYC Police action when they are seen by Police. The people also have a list of camera intersections and cut into legal lanes just for those intersections.
There are also many drivers that can ignore rules because they have license plate covers that prevent photographs or have illegal PA plates that are untraceable.

May 14, 2017 at 02:04 AM Anonymous Says:

When I see a bicycle, I think that's one less car to fight in traffic or for a parking spot. I saw in midwood, they added parking spots on some wide streets by making the spots diagonal instead of parallel. Maybe try that as an experiment on one wide street in BP? Maybe on one side of 14th avenue?

May 14, 2017 at 12:43 PM reply to anon/bike lover Says:

When I see a bike I have to concentrate on safety.
Bike riders have become very brazen. They cut off cars, use bike lanes or do not, changing by the moment, they wiz past school buses and other dangerous things.
The laws also apply to bike riders but they have the favor of the Mayor these days and are never held to task.
All this does not matter till a relative is hurt by a bike or an accident happens and the bike rider gets hurt. There are never winners!