London - UK Police Adopt Uniform with Muslim Hijab

Published on: February 9, 2009 12:21 PM
By: thisisleicestershire.co.uk

Metropolitan police officers wearing a uniform hijabMetropolitan police officers wearing a uniform hijab
London - Police have opened the door to female Muslim recruits by incorporating the hijab into the uniform.

The force has become the latest to approve a design for a headscarf suitable for officers on patrol.

Senior officers believe the lack of the option has deterred applications from the considerable number of Muslim women who choose to wear the hijab.

The police hijab is plain black and made of a flame-retardant material.

Officers will be able to wear a standard police hat on top of it.

A small number of forces nationwide have taken a similar step, including Thames Valley and the Metropolitan police.

Superintendent Geoff Feavyour, who leads the Leicestershire Constabulary recruitment team, compared the development to the incorporation of the turban several years ago, which removed a barrier to the recruitment of male Sikhs.

The police’s annual report for 2007/08 showed women made up about 23 per cent of the force’s officers.

The number of officers from black and Asian communities stood at about six per cent – short of the 15 per cent target.

Mr Feavyour said: “Clearly, we want people from all walks of life to join the force and the fact we have the hijab available now shows our commitment to that. It’s an extension to our uniform which will, hopefully, show people they are welcome.

“It is very important to us that the force reflects the community it serves.”

The move has also been welcomed by officers, including the Leicestershire branch of the National Association of Muslim Police.

Sgt Yakub Ismail, chairman of the branch, said: “Leicestershire Constabulary is always understanding and supportive of the religious needs of its staff.

“It has always encouraged applicants from all communities and religious denominations.

“I firmly believe neighbourhood policing can only be truly achieved by having officers from within those neighbourhoods being part of the police family.”

Sughra Ahmed, a research fellow at the Islamic Foundation, in Markfield, said: “Not every Muslim woman who wants to join the police would want to wear the hijab, but that choice is there now and that is a very important step.

“There may also be women who are already with the force who do not wear the scarf but choose to later. Again, this will be positive for them.”

Sabrina Khan, a 19-year-old student from Evington, Leicester, said: “I don’t wear the veil, but a lot of my family and friends do.

“I have seen Sikh officers wearing turbans and if I saw a female officer wearing the hijab, I would feel that the police respected the Muslim faith.”

Osob Osman, an 18-year-old student from North Evington, said: “The hijab has had a lot of bad press during the past couple of years.

“This will give women more career opportunities and, hopefully, change people’s attitudes to Muslim people.”

Police spoke to community groups, including the Leicestershire Federation of Muslim Organisations, when they were developing the garment.

Suleman Nagdi, spokesman for the federation, said: “It’s a wonderful move and it will help the police encompass a wider range of people in its recruitment.”

Resham Singh Sandhu, chairman of the Sikh Welfare and Cultural Society and a trustee of Leicester Council of Faiths, said: “This is a positive step forward for religious people who want to serve the community as police officers.”

New York - Chasidic superstar Avraham Fried will be headlining the 20th anniversary salute event of Bris Yosef Yitzchok in Israel . The grand event at North... Manhattan, NY - The Securities and Exchange Commission and Bernard Madoff have reached an agreement that could eventually force the disgraced investor to pay a civil...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Feb 09, 2009 at 11:44 AM bigwheeel Says:

..."this will give women more career opportunities and, hopefully, change people's attitude towards Muslim people"... So said Mr? Osob Osman, an 18 year old student from North Evington. (a groyser mayvin)...! Mr. Osman, Sir! As a non-Muslim, I happen to know of one thing that will surely "Change "People's" attitude towards Muslim people"... STOP THE TERRORISM!!! (yes, I know it's not you, and why am I generalising (In British, it's spelled thusly). And would I like it, if people said "All the ---- are----! No! I wouldn't like it one bit, Sir! But the [sad] fact remains that ALL the terrorists are Muslims and the "Peaceful" Muslim community (you included, utters a DEAFENING SILENCE!!!)!!!

Feb 09, 2009 at 11:40 AM Avraham Says:

As they say in Arabic, "dawla ma'ana" which in plain English means, "the government is with us".

Feb 09, 2009 at 11:38 AM Babishka Says:

Do they have an official sheitel for Orthodox women officers?

Feb 09, 2009 at 11:35 AM Anonymous Says:

Sick country!!! Thats all we need now!

Feb 09, 2009 at 11:59 AM just wondering Says:

I was just wondering how they can run in their hijab if they had to stop a suspect.

Feb 09, 2009 at 11:58 AM Anonymous Says:

Babishka Says:

Do they have an official sheitel for Orthodox women officers?

Frumme police office have always been allowed to wear a sheitel in the UK...this is not really so different...

Feb 09, 2009 at 12:17 PM anonymous Says:

how do their arab husbands let their wives work for the police? isnt it too public?

Feb 09, 2009 at 11:52 AM Manny Says:

Welcome to 'LONDONISTAN'

Feb 09, 2009 at 12:35 PM Anonymous Says:

Next its going to be Sharia Laws for the UK!

Feb 09, 2009 at 11:33 AM Milhouse Says:

This seems fair. Let's not have the usual blind anti-Moslem ranting. There are plenty of Moslems in the UK who are NOT radical Islamists, and are committed to protecting everybody's rights. Let's not discourage them. Reasonable accommodation for religious headgear, as has always been available for Sikhs, doesn't mean we're suddenly turning dhimmi.

Feb 09, 2009 at 11:26 AM Anonymous Says:

By the time liberals are finished with these type of things the world will be controled by islamofacist

Feb 09, 2009 at 12:55 PM bigwheeel Says:

just wondering Says:

...They're not running to catch a suspect, they're running AWAY from the suspect!!!!

Feb 09, 2009 at 02:02 PM Anonymous Says:

Can someone explain why anyone is upset? It sounds like a good thing to me.

Feb 09, 2009 at 01:37 PM Anonymous Says:

We have a MINHAG HAMAKOM, In Shul we yiden daven the nusach of the shul, and not ones own.In your country you dress your way when you are in another country THAT IS NOT YOUR HOME COUNTRY,and you want to join a government body, you do not give conditions. If it does not suit your religious direction, then you just don't go in that area!!!!

Feb 09, 2009 at 04:05 PM emabarassed to be british Says:

I have to admit I am embarassed to hold a UK passport. They forever pander to these people. As the earlier post said they may not all be violent but you never hear them condemn those that are - shtika kehoda'a. Its time to make a mass aliya

Feb 09, 2009 at 03:58 PM Anonymous Says:

I wonder if the Saudi police force has the same uniform. Oh, I forgot, women are not allowed in the Saudi police force!

Feb 09, 2009 at 03:56 PM Milhouse Says:

Moslems are just as English as anyone else, and England has had enough of religious intolerance in its past. Sikhs have always been allowed to wear turbans, Jews have been allowed head coverings, why should Moslems not be accommodated?

And for your information, a yochid davening in a shul can daven his own nusach. Only when he's shliach tzibur does he have to daven the tzibur's nusach.

Feb 09, 2009 at 03:44 PM Obamanation Says:

last week on this web site was a vidio how the british police where being chased by the muslim demonstaters through the streets. now that they will have there owen people in the police who will they chase now???:-)

Feb 09, 2009 at 03:22 PM Anonymous Says:

So if we apply your logic, a heimishe policemen in London should not be allowed to wear a yarmulke or streimel; a woman police officer couldn't wear a sheitel. In the U.S., orthodox groups have gone to court and won cases requiring police to accomodate observant yidden's need to wear a yarmulke. There is no a federal law requiring such accomodation. Last week in Washington DC., the federal court ordered the local transit authority to allow a woman busdriver to wear a skirt rather than the standard pants. In her case, she was a Seventh Day Adventist, not jewish.

Feb 09, 2009 at 03:22 PM Anonymous Says:

So, according to you Jewish people should not take jobs if it means asking for any rules to be eased for them. Many employers have some rules which were not intended to keep Jews from working there, but had the rules for other reasons. When they discover that the Jews would be willing to apply for jobs if they relax the rules, many of these companies and government agencies here in the US happily do so.

So, we should turn down all these jobs?

Does that also mean that we must never take any job for a company which normally has people working on Shabbos or late on Friday? After all to allow us to go home early is making an exception or a "condition" for us.

How about disabled persons who ask for "conditions" like a ramp to get their chair into the building? Should they simply stay home?

For me, in my company, if a potential employee asked if he/she can be allowed special persmission to dress differently to allow him/her to obey the rules of customs of his/her faith, I would do my best to satisfy this request.

I would allow a Chassidishe man to wear a beard and payus.
I would allow a Chassidishe woman to wear a wig or teechel.
I would allow an Islamic woman to wear a hijab.
I would allow any frum woman to wear a skirt to her ankles.
I would allow men to wear their tzitzis out.

These are normal requests that employees SHOULD feel free to request in a free and normal society, and employers SHOULD allow this unless there is compelling reason to refuse.

Now, I would NOT allow either a man or a woman to wear unnecessarily UNtziusdik clothing, as that is truly offensive to frum people of most faiths, and disturbs OTHERS from practicing their faith.

Feb 09, 2009 at 06:11 PM Anonymous Says:

bigwheeel Says:

They ARE the suspects

Feb 09, 2009 at 09:01 PM Anonymous Says:

All you guys who are defending the rights of Muslims... Yet the silence from the Muslims by any terror attacks is deafaning... and you wonder why people HATE Muslims... phew... Yemach Shmom Vzichrom

Feb 10, 2009 at 07:23 AM Ex-Brit Says:

emabarassed to be british Says:

I'm in the same boat & I agree wholeheartedly. I'm going for the Triple...UK, US, & Israeli citizenship! But I never travel on my British passport, not even to the UK. Frankly, I'm ashamed of my Britishness. When my passport expires, that's it.

To #9 the head galach in UK recently recommended Sharia Law in Britain. So many a true word really is spoken in jest. That country is bad for the Jews. Get out!!

Feb 10, 2009 at 07:45 AM Respectfully Disagree Says:

Funny, I know of TWO Chassidishe men in Willi who are Gerim. Guess where they came from. Guess what faith their families are still practicing today.
You guessed it. They both come from Muslim families.
They are both talmidai chachomim today, and very frum. Definately full of Ahavas Yisroel.
But, here is the kicker. Can you guess WHY they converted to Yiddishkeit? Can you guess what got them interested in learning about us?
Their fathers and grandfathers taught them to hate the terrorists. Their families DID speak out. This got them curious to learn about us.
These families today, are still speaking out quietly against anyone who persecutes the Jews.

Also, let us all stop and think for a moment. The Jews who are still today living in Islamic countries are a VERY tiny minority. Besides the occassional trouble they have had, like today in Yemen, they have lived and survived in the midst of Islamic territory for generations.
If ALL Muslims hated Jews, they would not have survived; would they?
Their very existence is proof that there are large numbers of the Islamic faithful who are not Jew Haters.

Keep in mind, they are all afraid to speak out too openly. They may despise terrorists, but they do fear them.

Yes, Sure, many DO hate us. But, it is wrong to say all do. And, though WE paskin Shtika K'Hodaah Damya, it does not apply in cases where speaking out is likely to cause the death of their families.

I live in Florida now, and have met a few "Frimme" Islamic people who are Jew friendly, and whose families are also taught to like Jewish people.
I know one former Palestinian but currently Muslim family which lives in Tamarac now. Almost all of their friends are Jewish. He used to own a repair shop. I brought my car to him a couple of years ago, and he said, "Bring it in at 7:00 AM, and I will drop you at shul for Shacharis. When you are done, call me and I will come pick you up."
There ARE good people among them, and to hate all of them is just as wrong as having them hate us.
So, when you wonder why people HATE Muslims, I am no longer one of those. And, I get angry when I hear or read people say Yimach Shmom Vzichrom automatically about all of them.

How loud would YOU protest if you had a family with a wife and precious children YOU loved?

Feb 10, 2009 at 01:26 PM Anonymous Says:

I agree - our uniform is no less absurd objectively speaking that is.

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:34 PM Anonymous Says:

25: Since when does the exception prove the rule? (And not everyone friendly to your face has friendly thoughts in their hearts.)