Jerusalem - Israeli Voters Turn Out En Masse Despite Forecast of Apathy

Published on: February 10, 2009 07:41 AM
By: Jpost
Lieberman, Livni, Netanyahu and Barak cast their votesLieberman, Livni, Netanyahu and Barak cast their votes

Jerusalem - As of 12:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, some 23.5 percent of the 5.2 million people eligible to vote had cast their ballots at the 9,263 polling stations available nationwide, the Central Elections Committee said. The turnout was 3% higher than the figure registered at the same stage of the 2006 general election.

Political leaders cast their ballots on Tuesday morning and called upon those eligible to vote to brave the rainy weather and exercise their right.

Israel Beiteinu leader Avigdor Lieberman was the first of the leaders of the four major parties to vote, afterwards saying, “I wish to take advantage of this moment to call upon all of the residents of Israel, Jews and Christians, Druze and Muslim, to come and vote.”

Lieberman praised his own party as the only one that “has come to work” and was confident that “people would come and vote even in a hurricane.”

Jerusalem - Members of the ultra-Orthodox community opening the weekend edition of haredi daily Hamodia in search of a recipe for a good Shabbat meal last week were... Manchester, UK - A burglar has been banned for three years from entering a Jewish district of Salford. Keith Doyle was jailed for 18 months at Manchester Crown Court...

Feb 10, 2009 at 06:57 AM Anonymous Says:

B'ezras hashem there will be a government that respects the rights of all Isrealis to pursue their own derech on issues related to yiddeshkeit while pursuing a strong military and security posture against the terrorists. Also, its time to stop the dependency of all these group on the government for more money for schools and welfare for large families--whether religious or not-- and rely on private tzadakah and greater job-training efforts. The treasury is operating at a huge deficit and the military will continue to require huge investments. All sides should declare a moratorium on asking for more money from the government for their favorite program, charity, social welfare need etc. Yidden should support one another but not look to the government for continued handouts.

Feb 10, 2009 at 07:11 AM Not Apathetic Says:

I am not apathetic, I just don't give a hoot.

Until there is a choice: "None of the Above" who would want to vote?
I know I have no interest.

As long as Israel is unfriendly to Chareidi Jews, I could not care who wins or loses.
Israel has "religious freedom" as long as it is not Torah Judaism.

No, I am not NK and not Satmar. I am just a regular religious Jew who is sickened by the government's obvious, and unfortunately successful attempts to make their population hate their fellow Jew by constantly demeaning the Chaeidim.

As long as they act like that, I really don't care if the government actually falls.
If we do not protect and love our fellow Jews, including the most religious Chareidim, the country does not deserve to survive.

Feb 10, 2009 at 07:19 AM Anonymous Says:

Not Apathetic Says:

I am not apathetic, I just don't give a hoot.

Until there is a choice: "None of the Above" who would want to vote?
I know I have no interest.

Israel has "religious freedom" as long as it is not Torah Judaism.

The problem may be that the Chareidim are demeaning themselves by their behavior and atitude towards the medina and the rest of klal yisroel. We need achdus to survive, and the last time I checked the Chareidim were not leading the charge on behalf of unifying all factions of EY.

Feb 10, 2009 at 08:29 AM Anonymous Says: