Washington - Trump Campaign Paid Lawyer Now Representing Son $50,000 In June

Published on: July 16, 2017 12:00 PM
By: Reuters
FILE - Republican U.S. presidential nominee Donald Trump (L) talks with his son Donald Trump Jr. (R) after his debate against Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York, U.S. September 26, 2016.  REUTERS/Joe Raedle/POOLFILE - Republican U.S. presidential nominee Donald Trump (L) talks with his son Donald Trump Jr. (R) after his debate against Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York, U.S. September 26, 2016.  REUTERS/Joe Raedle/POOL

Washington - Donald Trump’s campaign paid $50,000 to the law office now representing Donald Trump Jr. a little more than a week before news surfaced of an unreported meeting with a Russian attorney that has prompted new accusations of collusion.

The payment to the Law Offices of Alan S. Futerfas, dated June 27, was disclosed in a filing with the Federal Election Commission on Saturday. It was described as covering “legal consulting” fees.

Trump Jr. admitted to meeting with a Russian lawyer in New York City during the 2016 presidential campaign after he was told she might have damaging information about his father’s rival, Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.

The payment was made to Futerfas’ firm days before the story about the meeting broke, which caused a scramble inside the White House and Trump Tower to contain it.

The disclosures do not say who Futerfas was hired to represent. Spokesmen for Trump’s re-election campaign and Futerfas did not respond to requests for comment.

Futerfas was revealed as Trump Jr.‘s lawyer on Monday after a New York Times report detailed meetings between the president’s eldest son and the Russian lawyer. Futerfas has not said when he was hired.

Separately, the campaign also paid more than $538,000 to Jones Day, the law firm that represented Trump’s campaign during the election. The campaign also paid $89,561 for “legal consulting” to The Trump Corporation, which is owned by the president. The payment was dated June 30th.

A federal special counsel and several congressional panels are investigating allegations by U.S. intelligence agencies that Russia meddled in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, as well as potential connections between Russian officials and the Trump campaign.

Moscow has denied any interference and the president and Trump Jr. have denied any collusion.

The Federal Election Commission has previously ruled that candidates and federal office holders may spend campaign funds on legal fees incurred because they were a candidate.

Trump has also hired a longtime legal adviser, Marc Kasowitz, as outside counsel. His campaign finance disclosure did not list any payments to Kasowitz.

The White House confirmed in a statement on Saturday that veteran Washington attorney Ty Cobb will serve as special counsel, and sources familiar with the hiring said Cobb would handle the White House’s response to the Russia-related investigations.

Cobb, a partner at the law firm Hogan Lovells, is expected to be an intermediary between the White House and Congress, as well as outside attorneys as the probes continue.

In the second quarter of 2017, Trump’s re-election campaign raised about $8 million and spent $4.4 million, according to Saturday’s disclosures.

Much of the money raised from individuals came in the form of “small dollar” donations, classed as donations of less than $250. Trump and his campaign have frequently touted the number of small-dollar donors as proof of his widespread support.

Trump filed for re-election the day after taking office - allowing his campaign to continue to raise and spend money while he is in office.

New York - Every day, tens of thousands of U.S. airline passengers settle into their seats, lower the window shades and reach up to twist the air vents without the... New York - Conservative commentator Ann Coulter took to Twitter to express her displeasure with Delta Airlines about a seating dispute. The Huffington Post reports...

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:50 PM Realistic Says:

So should I believe Trump that he only found out about the meeting 11 days after a check was cut for this lawyer.

Jul 16, 2017 at 01:35 PM Snaglepuss Says:

So what? This is nothing news just to fill space on this website.

Jul 16, 2017 at 02:35 PM Educated Archy Says:

Realistic Says:

Probably not but who cares. I also believe he colluded with the Russians and I love it. The man plays dirty but he wins. Thats the bottom line. Now let him play dirty with the USA and make the USA win.

Jul 16, 2017 at 02:28 PM Anonymous Says:

Realistic Says:

There are other issues as well.

For instance, ethics and conflict of interest - how can an attorney take a client (Trump Jr.) in a criminal case that will definitely involve another existing client (the Trump campaign organization). In this case, the subject of ethics is kind of funny because the attorney in question is a high-profile mafia lawyer (Literally. He has been a go-to-guy for some of the major Italian mafia families).

Another issue is the appearance of mis-use of campaign donations to pay for the personal criminal matter of a candidate's relative. This one is messy because Trump Jr. WAS involved in the campaign and the criminal matter IS related to the campaign. The legal experts will decide what laws apply. IANAL, but IMO the worst-case for the Trumps would be that it would be considered some form of fraud, theft, and/or money-laundering.

Jul 16, 2017 at 04:22 PM TRumpIzPrez Says:

Educated Archy Says:

"The end justifies the means."

First said by Machiavelli. Then advocated by Karl Marx.

Yes, if USA wins (the end) because of playing dirty works (the means) is Marxist.

I don't want to live in a Marxist Communist society. America is greater than that!

Jul 16, 2017 at 04:50 PM Anonymous Says:

Educated Archy Says:

"I also believe he colluded with the Russians" Lets hope you are right and this nightmare will end in a year or two.

Jul 16, 2017 at 04:24 PM TRump Is A Liar Says:

Educated Archy Says:

So you believe that TRump is a liar?

So do I!

Jul 16, 2017 at 03:43 PM Anonymous Says:

Educated Archy Says:

You're saying about yourself that you're proud to be amoral and crooked-in-the-head. "play dirty", "win", "bottom line". If you went to Jewish school, the tuition was wasted. Well, maybe not - it did give parnassa to mechanchim and the menahalim and it did keep you off the streets and out of public school, so there is all that.

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:45 PM Educated Archy Says:

TRumpIzPrez Says:

"The end justifies the means."

First said by Machiavelli. Then advocated by Karl Marx.

Non sense Americans are just as corrupt as ruskies . Nothing new . It's just we are more PC and trump is not . Plus if we win I dint care . I am a narcissist

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:36 PM rivka Says:

Educated Archy Says:

Even though I disagree with you , on just about everything, I did admire the way you articulated your position with well thought-out comments. However, with your nasty and unkind comment about the young chabad woman who helped the autistic child on the airplane, and now with your admiration for Trump's playing dirty, your true colors are out and your comments and opinion are now worthless. You join the rest of Trump's selfish and intolerant flunkies!! And I have always wondered, how do you have so much time to comment on VIN throughout the workday, if you have such an important job???

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:47 PM Educated Archy Says:

Keep in dreaming buddy . I am right but the man is here for another 7 and half years . Get used to it . Trump plays dirty but he wins and l love winners

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:57 PM afzaw Says:

Maybe unpatriotic archy bunker is also being payed for by the Russians ?

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:02 PM Anonymous Says:

Educated Archy Says:

"Play dirty but he wins" In Russia maybe you are right. In the USA just ask Nixon, Madoff etc. In a Democracy bad guys loose in the end. All the time. He is in his 6th months and there 3 different criminal investigation on him and his family. They hir5ed about a dozen Criminal Attorneys. Just a reminder. Obama never needed a Criminal lawyer in 8 years not 6 months. All of this when the Republicans are in total control. Can you imagine for a minute what will happen if the Democrats take over.

Jul 16, 2017 at 09:27 PM Educated Archy Says:

rivka Says:

Rivka thank you for pointing out that comment to me . I normally don't read non
Trump articles so thavks . Let me be clear that disgusting comment was not me . It was an imposter trying to frame me . A real low life . I can't prove it online in the open . But vin has everyone's email address . They can look up the email address associated with that comment and see it's not the usual educate archys email . I am shocked vin allows people to stoop so low that they can pose as someone else name to shame them . This is a new rotten low . I hope vin blocks that guy permanently

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:34 PM Anonymous Says:

Educated Archy Says:

Rivka thank you for pointing out that comment to me . I normally don't read non

To put it mildly, I don't believe you:

1] "Rivka thank you for pointing out that comment to me" - How did THAT happen? Another personal friend, like "Esther"?

2] "I normally don't read non Trump articles" - demonstrably false, based upon your prolific comments. Besides, this is a Trump article.

3] You have a long recorded history of expressing similar views in similar language.

Jul 17, 2017 at 09:21 AM Educated Archy Says:

To put it mildly, I don't believe you:

Let me repeat I was framed by some low life baby trying to portray me as a dispicable guy .
1) if you don't believe me you are invited to contact vin . They know whose account each comment came from . I fully invite you to call vin and ask if I was the one who posted that hateful comment about the plane . Just ask if it's from the regular educated Archy . They have my info and can tell

2) yes I read this trump article but not the airplane one . Thus when I saw rivka comment in the trump article I noticed some bad mishigina frame me on that article
3) don't lie about me . I never post disparaging comments upon other Jews or vin cimmemtors . Show me one comment where o called someone a fool , uneducated , dumb , a pollack etc ... You are lying when you say I post nasty comments . It's not true . I do degrade Muslims but never a from Jew . Never . Go read my comments . While they are fiesty they are never name calling .

I suspect you are that imposter trying to
Further sow doubt but I have no proof albeit vin does . And if you are that guy you should be permanently blocked from vin .

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:08 PM Anonymous Says:

Educated Archy Says:

So you think it's OK that he colluded with one of our countries enemies. That's not playing dirty, it's sedition.