Brooklyn, NY - Boro Park Williamsburg Bus Line Urges Schools To Advise About Schedules Due To Overcrowding

Published on: February 19, 2009 11:50 AM

Brooklyn, NY - The Private Bus Company has the franchise for a bus line connecting Boro Park and Williamsburg. Serving a Chassidishe clientele may sometimes require special considerations. Those living in Williamsburg generally identify the bus service as the “Williamsburg - Boro Park Bus.” Boro Park residents call it the “Boro Park-Williamsburg Bus.” A recent meeting of the management of the bus line with Councilman Simcha Felder to discuss service improvements was fully reported. Issues such as overcrowding and service disruptions were touched on.

Management shared with Councilman Felder its difficulties at times in satisfying public demand. When yeshivas or girls schools dismiss their students at irregular times, such as on fast days, buses overflow at unanticipated times. Passengers are unable to board buses and drivers are forced to pass bus stops ignoring passengers waiting there. In addition, if the bus line is not informed in a timely manner as to when Chassidishe Rebbes make weddings, the passenger overflow is not served properly.

Further, the bus company’s board of consulting rabbis directed that male passengers occupy the front of the bus and females the back. When a bus driver attempts to service an overflow of passengers, men and women are unacceptably intermingled. Accordingly, when buses are full, the board of rabbis has directed that buses not stop for additional passengers.

As a result of the meeting, requests are being made for schools and institutions to advise of any temporary change of schedule as well as events, like weddings, melaveh malkahs, dinners, etc. In addition, private parties making weddings or other large gatherings that rely on the Boro Park-Williamsburg bus line are advised to give the bus company notice so that passengers are not inconvenienced.

Passengers are urged to fold carriages before boarding a bus, to make boarding easier and allow passage for other passengers. Passengers are directed to prepare fares and tickets in advance.

Delray Beach, FL - An appeals court gave a Jewish woman a second chance to fight Jews for J. missionary group. Edith Rapp, a Delray Beach resident, filed the $1... Washington - President Barack Obama has tapped two men with ties to New York for White House urban affairs jobs. Obama said Thursday that Bronx Borough President...

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:07 AM ShatzMatz Says:

How about having them better maintain the buses and clean them from time to time. Driving around those shlocky dirty buses, with parts dangling everywhere and stupid advertisements that are encrusted in dirt, is a very poor reflection of our community and a chilul hashem. Its not Kvod Habrius.

The contents of the add are also very embarassing. The one that says "nachomas yisroel saves yiddishe neshumes" is highly offensive to ordinary New Yorkers who are generally well meaning and concerned for others, who dont understand who needs saving. The mentchliche thing would be to make the ad in all Yiddish or in regular english like "Nechomas Yisroel is an organization that saves Jewish souls".

Just my thoughts...........

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:02 AM Anonymous Says:

You won't satisfy people anyway doesn't matter what you do. People complaining on every thing they can let me see if people are ready to work with driver's

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:01 AM Anonymous Says:

Anybody familiar with this bus route knows that their service is horrible on an every day schedule. If it is 10 in the morning or 5 in the afternoon. They don't have enough bus space regularly.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:35 AM huh? Says:

ShatzMatz Says:

Just my thoughts...........

do you clean your car every day because of "Kvod Habrius"?
Or maybe, to keep the fair cost low, they don't clean the bus that often!
think of it as being "green"
Regarding the advertisement, I have no idea what your saying talking about.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:31 AM mendel Says:

to 2..are so shaky in your beliefs that every little thing afraid of chillil hashem?..those signs are made for plian ehrliche temmimes yidden not for sophisticated educated.....etc

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:24 AM Boro Parker Says:

I'm from Boro Park and we simply call it the Williamsburg bus

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM Anonymous Says:

So now they consult with Rebbes on transit problems.Their expertise is overwelming.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:27 PM Anonymous Says:

They are so frightened of someone complaining to the rabbonim, they routinely leave passnergers standing on the street because the woman's section is full and they are afraid of one of the ehrleche yidden screaming about a woman taking an empty seat in the men's setion. Once they stop, they cannot say we will take the men passengers only and leave the women at the bus stop for the next bus. Thus, the solution these bus drivers have adopted is not to stop for anyone. They should be fired and replaced with drivers with a minimum of chachma and common sense. Its no big deal if a woman has to stand/sit in the women's sectio for a few stops if its cold/raining outside rather than leaving them at the bus stop because some jerk might complain.

Feb 19, 2009 at 01:14 PM fedup Says:

I dont use the BP/W bus that often, but every time I do, I remember again why I dont! If there would be a competition company out there, maybe we would see some changes. The buses are run down, overcrowded, and the route it takes is the same for the last 15 years, although both BP and the W doubled in size since then. We have no choice, and they know it. They put minimal efforts into pleasing the olem.

Feb 19, 2009 at 01:11 PM shmiel glassman Says:

i do use the bus occasionaly & find them on time ,running... from 700am -1140 pm THATS SERVICE.( maybe driving a little too fast for our congested city

Feb 19, 2009 at 01:08 PM Anonymous Says:

Does the bus receive public funding,

If so then it can't discriminate against the women

Feb 19, 2009 at 01:23 PM Anonymous Says:

What if it was a Rebbe's wife who was left standing on the street in the cold rain late at night and something terrible happened. Would they still demand this stupidity.

Feb 19, 2009 at 01:00 PM Anonymous Says:

THis whole thing is bizarre to me. Dont these same pelple take the subway?

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:54 PM Anonymous Says:

You can please some of the people some of the time, you can't please all of the people all the time.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:48 PM Anonymous Says:

What expertise??? These heilege rebbes cannot find their seforim sitting in front of them on the tisch...how would they know how to schedule a public transit system other than to tell the drivers, "when in doubt (about whether they are too crowded and their might be inappropriate touching) just keep driving and don't schtup"

Feb 19, 2009 at 02:01 PM Anonymous Says:

fedup Says:

Whats the problem with the route?
Ya want them to go thru Munrow?

Feb 19, 2009 at 01:59 PM Anonymous Says:

Firstly, it's Rabonim not Rebbes.
Secondly and more importantly, YES!!! As frimme Yidden we consult with our Rabbonim and abide by theis p'sak AND sage advice.
Pirkei Avos teaches, "ASAY LECHO RAV UK'NAY LECHO CHUVER".
I'm so thankful you're not either of those for me.

Feb 19, 2009 at 01:52 PM Williamsburger Says:

Boro Parker Says:

I'm from Boro Park and we simply call it the Williamsburg bus

& I'm from Williamsburg and we simply call it the Boro-Park Bus.

Feb 19, 2009 at 01:51 PM yossi Says:

When you run a Monopoly business thats what you get...I been riding those buses from day one when there was only one stop in front of the YCH on 14th ave. The service is horrible and the drivers reflect on the owner..who ever knows Yakov Mermelstein the owner wont expect any better service..Please complain to the local politicians,Felder

Feb 19, 2009 at 01:49 PM Brizdovitzer Says:

ShatzMatz Says:

Just my thoughts...........

It's a BUS not a restaurant!!
Lighten up!!

Feb 19, 2009 at 01:46 PM Anonymous Says:

What makes you think any of these rabbonim would care more about their own wives than any other yiddshe voman left standing on at the bus stop...thats why they are "rabbonim".... ther is no heter under halacha for the exercise of judgement or common sense.....the rules of "negiah" mandate equal stupidity be demanded of all, whatever the outcome.

Feb 19, 2009 at 01:42 PM Anonymous Says:

I was use this bus for about 10 years when I was learn in a yeshiva in boro park and I was never see such a harebell service

Feb 19, 2009 at 02:18 PM Miss Williamsburg Says:

I rarely use it but when I do, I noticed that the ladies have much more seating and space. Meaning the men are about the first 6 seats upfront on both sides (about 24-28 seats) But the rest are all for the women, starting almost from the front all the way to the back. So it doesn't bother me physically that I can't sit in the first few upfront seats. It's the whole idea of men in front, women in back.
However I did see the dayan of Monroe pasken that if there are no empty seats and a woman or women are standing, the men are obligated to give up their seats to the women. That calmed me down a little.

Feb 19, 2009 at 02:15 PM Anonymous Says:

I use the Will/Bp bus quite often and find it to be the worst place to be on, even for one minute! The bus can literally shake you up, with all those bumps and jumping they make along the way, cant they be more careful at driving? People get off that bus nauseas and dizzy, Its really not fair!!
sometimes these drivers can also go out of the way to pick up another driver on the way, this is really not normal since it takes up alot more time from the passengers!

Feb 19, 2009 at 03:32 PM Joel Says:

Who has the advertising rights on the buses?

Feb 19, 2009 at 03:29 PM YZG Says:

Chill, it's a bus not a hotel.It's the most 3 hours

Feb 19, 2009 at 04:02 PM tsig,monsey Says:

They should learn from the Lubavitch bus that serves Crown Heights aka Kan Tzivo Havayo ess Habrocho to Boro Park.The service is great and with lots of chasidishkait

Feb 19, 2009 at 04:54 PM Anonymous Says:

I am a female from the UK and when I used the bus I found the service good but the clientelle abominable - why on earth can't the women fold up their strollers so that others can get along the gangway and on or off the bus with minimal effort? The safety issues were terrible!

Feb 19, 2009 at 05:19 PM Anonymous Says:

Miss Williamsburg Says:

Apparently you were the only one who heard that psak.

Feb 19, 2009 at 05:26 PM Anonymous Says:

Obviously, in the UK, yiddeshe women have some midos and derech eretz that results in their considertion of others; I don't know how long you have lived in BP or WB but don't expect that from our women here...they only think about themselves and their rush to get home to their husbands to cook dinner or pick up the kids from school

Feb 19, 2009 at 07:22 PM Anonymous Says:

I hate to go with them they are terrible, they close doors on carriages with babies inside, they dont stop for people running or banging on the door. And when you call in to complain they dont even listen to you.

Feb 19, 2009 at 07:28 PM Anonymous Says:

The drivers on these buses eat, drink, read their newspapers, talk on their cell phones, yell at the passengers, all at once ,while driving! These buses are extremely unsafe! MTA would do a much better job!

Feb 19, 2009 at 07:36 PM MTA user Says:

fedup Says:

during the day the M train goes from boro park to williamsburg, get off on Marcy Ave, Hewes St, or Lorimer St. If you are on the kensington side of boro park take the F train to smith 9th street change for the G train and it'll take you to Broadway. You get off at Broadway and Heyward and Rutledge St.

Feb 19, 2009 at 07:35 PM Anonymous Says:

Exactly, it's not the service that's so bad. It must be some of the people taking the service, leaving their personal garbage on the floor of the buses & creating a filthy mess. I use the bus daily, early in the morning & evening. In the morning the buses are always clean, but when going back home the buses are filthy, so who is to blame? just like the s........

Feb 19, 2009 at 07:50 PM Anonymous Says:

MTA user Says:

Enjoy your company & make sure you don't get mugged.

Feb 19, 2009 at 07:47 PM fedup Says:

Whats the problem with the route?
Ya want them to go thru Munrow?

Very funny. But extending the route in W to the new areas where people dont need to walk a mile home would be nice , or having two buses with different routes would help the overcrowding as well. Public transportation has it, the Trolley in the W has it, why cant they?

Feb 19, 2009 at 06:59 PM A Wmsbg Woman Says:

Without bashing chassidishkeit or the bus line, I have been angry for years about several things:

-->The physical condition of the buses. On more than a few occassions, different buses, different routes...I got wet from the leaking roof when it was raining and kept switching positions on the bus ride. No matter where I stood or sat (there were empty seats once and I remember clearly moving around a lot in the "raining bus") you couldnt escape the leaks in teh bus roof

-->The general attitude of the drivers. For a while there was a sign forbidding cell phone talking. The driver, though, is distracted in a heated conversation, out loud, laughing racously and inappropriately. Someone told me the driver once asked for quiet in the back of the bus because he cant hear his telelephone buddy, so a woman said you are not supposed to talk on teh bus, the sign is posted right there...he answered, "This sign is for me, so that I can hear my conversations!"

-->I've been "skipped" or just ignored by the drivers. I was one among a few who were waiting in teh freezing snow and sleet on a short Friday afternoon. The driver just didnt stop. He saw me. I waved when I realized he wasnt slowing, but speeding dangerously ahead. I was mad. Why leave out a stop just at whim? What justifies that? Its totally unacceptable in any weather, especially in severe ones.

-->I've witnessed the bus starting to drive away while women were exiting the back. Too bad, the driver said. Its taking too long to get off. Sorry, driver. Perhaps if it wouldnt be so crowded people would find it easier to push through throngs of others to get to the door.

-->When the men's section is empty (there are usually more women than men because the men find alternate means of transportation often) and a woman will ask a bachur or man to move more towards the front, it is common to get a shrug of the shoulders. Just like that. No comment. Its like, "Who are you anyway? I dont care to get up and move two seats to teh front of the empty bus." Its blatant chutzpah and uncommon sense, unfortunately very common.

--> I dont know why, but every time I want to get onto the bus, I am shoved or almost shoved away by a bachur or man or many of them. Why do they think they need to push? And wouldnt it make more sense to let the ladies go first, all manners aside, for the sake of tznius? After all, the women need to go to the back of the bus. So why push ahead, get on, then let the women push through a packed bus, through the men, and yes, there may be a question of tznius, a big one here. After manners.

-->What was written about the drivers taking passengers' time to pick up other drivers is true. I've had this on many occassions. Most annoying is when they WAIT for that driver. I remember one stifling hot, summer day, a packed bus which left Boro Park at about 5 pm to Wmsbg, where we waited for fifteen minutes.

-->The drivers smoke most of the time. Its disgusting, its dangerous in a closed place, and its downright illegal!!

--> The general attitude of the drivers is appaling. One Polish driver (no discrimination intended, but there is only one Polish one) likes to scream like a maniac, "Quickly, quickly, quick, quick." Its not like someone is standing in the doorway shmoozing. They arrive off-schedule, skip scheduled routes, and do the heck whatever they want. So why treat your passengers like chickens, herding them like animals, "Quickly, quickly!!" The answer is that we dont expect anything better. I'd say if we'd collectively complain and boycott the bus in an organized way, instead of inactively seething and complaning to one another, which I very often hear, we'd get somewhere. But as long as we dont expect better, we wont get it. Absolutely not.

There are major problems with the bus line and everyone knows it. The tznius problem is just one of them, if at all.

Feb 19, 2009 at 08:09 PM ML Says:

A Wmsbg Woman Says:

Well said, and what about the drivers starting to move the bus while yI'm trying to insert money into the slot and losing my balance causing me to fall? It happened to me a few times.

Feb 19, 2009 at 08:07 PM Anonymous Says:

Why cant they do two seperate buses, one for women, one for men on the rush hour slots? The buses are overcrowded as it is, making two buses at those times, would solve two problems with one solution.

Feb 19, 2009 at 09:28 PM Ayiddishemame Says:

#1 Perhaps if there would be someone willing to help a mother with a baby, 3 year old, and a folded carriage, get onto the bus, then we'd try to fold them. Many times you end up standing alone at a bus stop.

#2 Let me see you wake up a sleeping baby and have a miserable ride home because the sreaming baby's jumping out of your hands and needs to eat... etc. I guess it takes one mother to undestand the other and not mind the open carriages. Men who are not the ones holding the baby the whole way home will NEVER get it!

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:27 PM Big deal! Says:

When I lived in BP and I wanted to get to WillyBurg, I used to take the subway 99 out of 100 times. Timewise it wasnt that much longer and it was a better ride.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:23 PM another brisdovitzer Says:

everyone is always full of nasty complaints! a jew is always counting someone elses money & full of criticism. it would not be the end of the world if a man helped awoman fold her carriage and shlep it on the bus for her while she is trying to carry her baby with her packages!

Feb 20, 2009 at 01:00 AM Anonymous Says:

During the day there are 3 busses every hour (one every 20 minutes) but during the morning rush hours - when people have to get to work and school on time there are only 2 busses per hour.T.hat's CHUTZPAH and sheer STUPIDITY. Ofcourse the bus will be OVERCROWDED. And if you chalilah miss the 7:55 am bus - you have to wait 35 minutes for the next one at 8:30am and there you are surely LATE to work or school. The girls STAND in the aisle reaching all the way into the men's section - not a very TZNIUSDIGE position. At the slightest short stop, the girls nearly land in a gentleman's LAP - that is a DISGRACE. If there is a garbage or oil truck parked on a certain block, the driver will bypass that block and SKIP the stop entirely. People can be waiting there and can't run quickly enough to meet up with the bus at the next stop and then have to wait more than 1/2 hour for the next bus. It's only because the bus company has a MONOPOLY that they can DO whatever pleases them. COMPETITION is the ONLY answer. MTA supports this bus - that's why the route is called B110 like a city bus. The complaints should go to 311 or the local politicians and GUARANTEED this company will shape up or some other company will get their route. That's what MUST be done by ALL the DISATISFIED riders IMMEDIATELY!

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:05 AM Anonymous Says:

Here in lakewood they don't have such a thing b'h but I heard they are planing of making buses

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:37 PM Anonymous Says:

I recently was on the bus and EVERYBODY near me was having legitimate complaints but nobody did anything about it!!! we must take action if not we will continue riding those overcrowded old rickety shaky buses!!

Feb 20, 2009 at 08:14 AM Anonymous Says:

The rabbonim have given a heter for men and women to stand together for short bus and subway rides where there is crowding an no alternative, thus there are no concerns for either negiah or tzinius. People should just exercise common sense and not worry about where the sit. If any of the men or bochurim object, they should be politely but firmly thrown off the bus for disruptive behavior.

Feb 20, 2009 at 08:59 AM Anonymous Says:

The comments thus far are all very LEGITIMATE . Can we please SHARE them with somebody who may be in a capacity to HELP - like Felder or Hikind? It's a SAFETY issue here - the ride is rollercoasterish sometimes and let's NOT wait till somebody chalilah gets HURT to SCREAM about it.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM Ellen Says:

Separate sections on a Jewish-run bus are not well administered if women are in the back. Unless they can come on by the back door. They should be side to side, and a mechitza if you want. Otherwise how does anyone justify women walking through a crowd of men?

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM Ellen Says:

A Wmsbg Woman Says:

A bus boycott worked in Montgomery Alabama in the 1950s. And from what you say I don't understand why anyone takes this bus.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM Anonymous Says:

ML Says:

You should file a law suit. If enough people do, things might change. We should also go to the police and file a charges of reckless endangerment against the driver. This might shake them up.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:25 PM miriam Says:

Does the bus receive public funding,

If so then it can't discriminate against the women

no they do not !
this was done out of the sensitivity of the issue of tsnius that the people of these communities demand

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:28 PM miriam Says:

yossi Says:

if you would know the owner you would know he works very hard and a true baal chesed

Feb 20, 2009 at 01:12 PM Anonymous Says:

A lawsuit? What else should we do. I don't get it. This is a service. You don't like it, don't use it. And the side by side thing like the Monsey bus is a no no. A thin sheet does not a mechitza make. Some of the men brush up against the women on purpose. Disgusting.

Feb 22, 2009 at 09:59 AM Anonymous Says:

I'm sorry. This is NOT a service - it is a full fledged business and should provide for the $2.50 fare in addition to the MTA subsidy. The riders don't really have another option. The train is too far from my home and then too far from my office. I don't drive, and even if I did - I don't have a car. Besides that parking in Wmsbg is IMPOSSIBLE.So if I want to get to work the bus is my means of transportation. Do you have any better ideas?

Feb 22, 2009 at 03:54 PM Anonymous Says:

yossi Says:

I agree- when you call to complain about something very legitimate all you get is a RUNAROUND and a RECORDING. Never the decency of a call back or an interest to help solve the problem. Even if 50% of the riders were to boycott the bus would still be FULL so why bother satisfying the customer! It's a CHARPAH and a SHANDAH!

Feb 22, 2009 at 05:42 PM fedup Says:

Riding on the bus today.... besides having the driver start up his wild driving as soon as I dropped the money in his slot, while balancing my baby in one hand and carriage in the other, he totally disregarded the request of this old lady who could barely walk to "please wait, Im getting off " and just zoomed past her stop. I felt like giving him a piece of my mind but knew it wouldnt help. I m just so fed up! I actually paid $25 for a car to get back home instead of taking this ride of terror with the kids again!!

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:48 PM Anonymous Says:

Can you please forward these complaints to the bus company? May be all this negative reaction will remind them to SHAPE UP.....O R E L S E! They don't have a contract with the MTA for life - and if these complaints would be forwarded to the MTA it won't be in the bus company's favor. So---LET'S SEE SOME POSITIVE OUTCOME