Lakewood, NJ - Kars-4-Kids Jingle Drives Some Listeners Insane

Published on: March 20, 2009 09:00 AM

Lakewood, NJ - Anyone who spends 15 minutes listening to the radio has felt its wrath.

The plunking of the piano, the out-of-tune child, the off-key, slightly-creepy male voice that follows.

Over and over again, the music plays at all hours of the day, until you feel like someone is threading your eardrum with a knitting needle.

1-8-7-7 Kars for Kids

K-a-r-s Kars for Kids

1-8-7-7 Kars for Kids

Do-nate your car ta-day

(The commercial can be heard in its entirety at www.kars4kids.org .)

It’s not just me. A quick Google search for “kars 4 kids jingle” produces a trove of infuriated listeners, including some who are close to committing acts of violence. Their spelling errors, undoubtedly made in a blind fit of rage, have been corrected.

• “As irritating as a hemorrhoid!”

• “That stupid song is gonna send me to a padded cell if I hear it again.”

• “The Kars 4 Kids radio jingle makes me want to set my hair on fire. If I could find the person who wrote that, I would shoot them with a harpoon gun.”

• “I seriously was considering suicide last night thanks to this craptacular commercial.”

• “It will burrow into your skull and slowly gnaw away at the gray, squishy parts. It will never leave you.”

• “I have actually gotten out of the shower on the fifth or sixth note - risking electrocution - to shut off the radio because that damn song is so God awful.”

• “Damn you Kars-4-Kids!”

Who are these Kars-4-Kids people?

And why are they so intent on making our ears bleed?

Based in Lakewood, N.J., Kars-4-Kids is the charitable arm of Joy of Our Youth, “a national organization providing for the spiritual, emotional and practical needs of Jewish children from impoverished or dysfunctional families,” according to www.kars4kids.org.

The group’s big goal is getting Jewish kids enrolled in Jewish schools, with the sale of donated cars helping to accomplish that mission.

Kars-4-Kids manager Esti Landau said the commercial first aired about six years ago. She was aware the jingle has become somewhat of a sensation - for better and for worse.

The goal isn’t to drive people into bouts of madness, she said, but to burrow the Kars-4-Kids brand into enough heads that the notion of donating an old car to the charity automatically pops up when the time comes to buy a new car.

The strategy has been largely successful, she said.

To saturate the market locally, the commercial plays several times a day on the most popular AM radio stations, including WBBM, WGN and WLS. There are rock, reggae and country versions of the jingle for other markets and station formats.

“We try not to make people set their hair on fire, but the jingle is very effective,” Landau said. “The campaign has worked for us. We hit a lot of people.”

She said all of the voices in the commercial are affiliated with the organization.

Not everyone is a hater, either.

Some listeners have called asking for an mp3 cut of the commercial.

Landau said a boy who benefited from the charity walked down the aisle at his uncle’s wedding while the Kars-4-Kids song played.

She pointed out that companies coming up with corny, catchy jingles are nothing new. A former Chicago resident, she recalled the old Empire Carpet commercials.

“That’s still stuck in my head,” Landau said. “And I’ve been out of Chicago for 10 years.”

At that rate, we should still be hearing the “1-8-7-7 Kars 4 Kids ...” chorus in our ears until 2050.

Jerusalem - A heartwarming act of charity was performed by the well known philanthropist Ira Rennert this Pesach. He has donated 10,000 new suits to yeshiva students all... Sydney, Australia - Jewish community stalwart and former judge Marcus Einfeld, 70, will spend at least two years behind bars after he was convicted of lying before a...

Mar 20, 2009 at 08:15 AM Anonymous Says:

what a stupid article!

Mar 20, 2009 at 08:14 AM I love it Says:

Thank you VIN for this.

I believe it is a great jingle. Some people just hate jingles. They are intended to be such that you can't get them out of your mind. That is what makes them effective.

Yes, this one sounds like it will become irritating after awhile, but that is what makes if effective.

So, though I may find it annoying, I enjoy the "art" of its effectiveness.
"1-8-7-7 Kars for Kids

K-a-r-s Kars for Kids

1-8-7-7 Kars for Kids

Do-nate your car ta-day"

Here I am humming it....

Mar 20, 2009 at 08:11 AM robroy560 Says:

The jingle drives my wife insane, and I turn it up in the car.

If the cars actually are sold and the monye is used for tzedekah, I'll deal with the annoying jingle. Or, you can just change the station.

Mar 20, 2009 at 08:33 AM Anonymous Says:

It doesnt deive me insane because the song is annoying and sounds like a VERY out of tune uncle moishy song (WHAT on earth HAPPENED to him? who persuaded him to do this?)

Mar 20, 2009 at 08:38 AM Contry Yossi Fan Says:

It's Gonna be the little Kinderlach who make mashiach come!!!!

Mar 20, 2009 at 08:37 AM Anonymous Says:

robroy560 Says:

The jingle drives my wife insane, and I turn it up in the car.

Great way of getting Even with "THEM" Thanks for the idea~!!!!!

Mar 20, 2009 at 08:44 AM Anonymous Says:

robroy560 Says:

The jingle drives my wife insane, and I turn it up in the car.

if it drives your wife insane, no need to turn it up. deal with an annoying jingle for tzedakah when it's not at the expense of your wife - i.e. when she's out of the car.

Mar 20, 2009 at 08:49 AM Joseph Says:

It's funny because that niggun comes from that old song (from Country Yossi I think) "It's gonna be the little kinderlach" and it never drove anyone crazy before. It's just the repetitiveness that drives people mad.

Mar 20, 2009 at 08:39 AM Anonymous Says:

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who goes nuts from this jingle. I turn the radio off the second it comes on. Btw the tune was used by Country Yossi for the song "its gonna be the little kinderelach"
The little little kindrelaaach

Mar 20, 2009 at 08:39 AM Anonymous Says:

get a life! I think it's cute and certainly no worse than that Window Factory advertisement where you "save" so much money by buying their windows.

Mar 20, 2009 at 08:58 AM good commercial Says:

How dare they make fun of the kid who sings the jingle? He had a good voice & now that he has reached maturity, its even better KNH!!

Mar 20, 2009 at 09:18 AM oorah fan Says:

totaly agree its been driving me crazy for long time i always change stations when i hear it. thanks for posting this article very important for other people to know there suffering together its therapeutic.

Mar 20, 2009 at 09:52 AM Anonymous Says:

i guess the only solution is "YOU GO TA B&H !!!!!!!!!!"

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:15 AM Babishka Says:

It's not an out-of-tune piano, it's an out-of-tune guitar. If I had to listen to that thing over and over I might hurt somebody.

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:31 AM HaMayvin Yovin Says:

Country Yossi generally did not have ORIGINAL songs. They were "borrowed" from other sources.
I used to know the original source of the song but now the jingle STICKS IN MY HEAD!!!!!! Aaaaarggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:28 AM Joseph Says:

Whether it drives you crazy or not, one thing's for sure: They met their objective on keeping it in your mind, which is what great advertising is all about. Oorah is a marketing genius for this and everything else they do terms of marketing.

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:59 AM Joe Says:

This is so true! That commercial must have caused a lot of road rage and accidents.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:06 PM new mom Says:

what are you talking about, that kid has a great voice! If the jingle is annoying, that's one thing, but don't take it out on that boy.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:32 PM Anonymous Says:

They should screen where they advertise. They are a regular on an FM talk show that is at best for mature adults.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:55 PM Anonymous Says:

I donated my car to their organization and not to anyone else because their jingle popped into my head and I did not have to look up any telephone numbers!!! I love their jingle and I think they do great work!! Yup great advertisement really does work.

Mar 20, 2009 at 02:00 PM A shikker iz a goy Says:

it actually sounds more like a drunken Johnny Cash singing...

Mar 20, 2009 at 01:55 PM kugel Says:

their organization is great but the jingle does drive me crazy. but nu, life is life.

Mar 20, 2009 at 03:28 PM Help me Says:

I listened to this and the man is so off key. HELP ME

Mar 20, 2009 at 04:56 PM nate Says:

it is very annoying by the amount of times i hear it a day...wcbs wins wfan etc. it drives me mad & i do switch stations when it comes on.... don't think its important enough 2 make an article out of it... i think the u.s. window factory was much more annoyin "WE TOLD U SO" besides that other car dealership in queens which the guy yells like a real nutjob that radio commercial takes the cake 4 being the most annoying by far!! good shabbos everyone!

Mar 20, 2009 at 04:32 PM abi gezint Says:

oh sure it drives me crazy , but thats the purpose! btw the NETFLIX spot is way more awful thats just the words wiyhout d jingles!

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:47 PM Anonymous Says:

The song is copied from a song Four Wet Pigs which you can hear at the link below

Mar 21, 2009 at 09:33 PM Anonymous Says:

I work at a Goyishe company with non jewish employees, and I can testify that the goyim go crazy when this advertisement is played. They run to turn off the radio and curse out the song. I'm not sure I understand why, but it seems that their soul can't fartrug a heiliga song. Anyway, it might be time for Oorah to change their ad, or at least alternate with some other commericial.

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:34 PM Anonymous Says:

this article was worth just for the laughs. Thanks for the humor guys.

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:54 PM Milhouse Says:

That's not even close.

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:53 PM good american Says:

it's a lot better than the window factory and most of geico's adverts!! anyway, we don't get protected against getting annoyed, there's a volume dial on the radio for a reason!!!

Mar 25, 2009 at 01:36 PM Just don't get it... Says:

LOVE THE JINGLE!!! It's a very catchy commercial. The point of a commercial is to make the listeners remember the company or product. So... Job very well done!

Mar 27, 2009 at 09:38 AM git gezugt Says:

The buzz generated by this jingle is worth a million dollars.This is an "original" Country Yossi song from his first album. CY has a few originals on each album besides the parodies.There is something annoyingly hypnotic about it that makes you stop whatever it is your doing and take listen. CY also co-hosts the Oorah radiothon every year. Great team Oorah and CY!

Feb 12, 2010 at 02:03 AM Robert L Says:

The childs voice in the Jingle I think, is not a child. I was seated in a Subway Sandwhich shop in SOHO NYC some years ago, and I overheard what I thought was two children speaking. But one, the female sounded more like a parent then a young child. When I looked, I was amazed to find a full grown adult speaking with this little child's voice. The voice sounds the same and she lady did mention some auditions she was trying out for because they liked her little girl voice. It could be her?