New York City - NYC Gets 13% Increase in Food Stamps from Stimulus

Published on: April 1, 2009 01:59 PM
By: AP
file photofile photo

New York City - Poor New Yorkers will get a 13 percent increase in their monthly food stamp grants from funding in the economic stimulus package.

The increase amounts to a monthly increase of $63 for a family of three, and $80 for a family of four, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Wednesday that food stamp households will receive the new increase by mid-April.

The new funding comes from the stimulus legislation signed recently by President Barack Obama. The city says it will bring an extra $25 million a month to food stamp households in New York.

New York, NY - Michael R. Bloomberg, the mayor of New York is a man who knows his way around a floor plan. While Mr. Bloomberg is justly famous for his open-air office... Jerusalem - The Obama administration is still committed to a two-state solution, according a Reuters report Wednesday which quoted the White House. Mike Hammer, a...

Apr 01, 2009 at 01:11 PM Anonymous Says:

As if this is going to help anyone.
The groceries prices went up the roof because we don't drill for our own oil.
Wait till gas prices go back back to 4.00 a gallon this summer.

Apr 01, 2009 at 01:09 PM Anonymous Says:

It seems the only ones geting raises are the food stamps oilam. Not that I begrudge them, they could do with a few extra $, but pray tell who is going to pay for all of this? No-one I know is making any money, just trying to hold on until the economy gets better.

Wait until 4/15 when the federal gov will wake up that the rich will not be liable for paying taxes because they all LOST money in 2008.

Apr 01, 2009 at 01:46 PM PMO Says:

As if this is going to help anyone.
The groceries prices went up the roof because we don't drill for our own oil.
Wait till gas prices go back back to 4.00 a gallon this summer.

While I agree about oil, we could not get one drop out of the ground for 4-6 years. So how does that help us?

Why the heck do we need more food stamps? If you are not disabled or severely sick, GET A JOB.... or get TWO jobs if you have to.

Nobody around here wants to live by the "goyim's laws", but you'll happily take their money when it suits you!

Apr 01, 2009 at 02:10 PM esq Says:

you are right. And dont forget the refund claims for those who paid estimated taxes based on last years income.

Apr 01, 2009 at 01:20 PM Charlie Hall Says:

As if this is going to help anyone.
The groceries prices went up the roof because we don't drill for our own oil.
Wait till gas prices go back back to 4.00 a gallon this summer.

With all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about. High oil prices are *necessary* if the US is to have more energy production because of the high costs of extraction.

Apr 01, 2009 at 02:26 PM Anonymous Says:

PMO Says:

Eaay to say try finding a job in todays market then you should talk.you should be thankful that you don't need it

Apr 01, 2009 at 04:08 PM Anonymous Says:

PMO Says:

you are 1000% wrong I went to work and lost food stamps and medicad and I'm leaving work now because I made $600 a week befor e all these crazy taxes and I'm better off just living of the goverment!!!!
this is a fact

Apr 01, 2009 at 04:44 PM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #6. U Are Worng if u really wanna find a job u can find if their is a will their is a way .

Apr 01, 2009 at 05:36 PM PMO Says:

this is a fact

So get a different job... or get 2 jobs... who cares? Why does everyone else have to take care of you? Don't you have any pride? Don't you have any sense of responsibility?

I lost my job last year. I managed to get a 1 year contract making 40% less than I made before... so we cut back a bit. Now that contract is over in May. I don't have another job yet, but I would take a job mowing lawns or mopping toilets18 hours a day if I had to. I would never take that money away from those who cannot do for themselves, and I would NEVER steal people's tax money that way.

I hope someone has the decency to report you to the state for the fraud you are committing. It is geneivoh! That money is meant for those who CAN'T work. You are no better than the illegals who come here, don't pay taxes and cheat the government out of healthcare.

Apr 01, 2009 at 06:06 PM Anonymous Says:

You are a morron, you dont know what it means looking for a job in these days.

Apr 01, 2009 at 08:11 PM PMO Says:

You are a morron, you dont know what it means looking for a job in these days.

He is not a moron. He is 100% correct!

I'm looking for a job and I cannot find anything in my field. However, there is a cleaning service hiring here... my neighbor works for them cleaning medical offices. If I have to mop toilets to feed my family I will. Yes, it's hard to find a GOOD job right now... but there are jobs out there. The only people I see not working are the people who are too proud and selfish to take a job that is "beneath" them, or outside of the community. This disgusting sense of entitlement is a disgrace to every yid who came here from Europe and built this for us. My grandfather didn't ask for anything. He started out cleaning up in a meat packing plant (I think the company was Mogen David)... it was back breaking work, but he fed his family. He never looked for a handout and never saw himself as anything less than a hard working man who provided for his family. My other grandfather worked on the docks unloading fruit and vegetables from the ships. They didn't have much... but they still never asked for anything. Their pride came from building a life for their family... not from stupid job titles, status symbols or material things.

Take some pride in YOURSELF.

Apr 01, 2009 at 10:55 PM Anonymous Says:

Great ! now all of the groceries are going to raise their prices 13%. maybe the stimulus money sjould go for new food stamp cards so that I don't have to wait on line till the cashier punches in a thousand numbers (twice).

Apr 02, 2009 at 12:18 AM hard working and making the same as not working american Says:

to # 8 you are 1000 percent right I could tell u I have job and make 60000 a year which is considered nice but to tell u all that if I didn't work or took a part time job and relax go to florida every second week and just apply for all legel programs like food stamps, medicaid, wic, section 8, I would be making more then the 60000 just calculate what all these programs get u a year plus let's not forget child credits at the end of the year which when u make money u don't get.
Just put this in a few words the dems and the goverment want u to rely on them its not worth working trust me u make more by living off our crasy gov.

Cause if the gov wanted people to work they would cut all programs and all these nuts that could work which are almost all would work and not be able to live otherwise
Also let's not forget that all these programs make things go up in price like section 8 cause houses to go up WHY? Simple if the gov is giving people 1200 a month then u can charge that and the rest
I think I said enough if u have any complaints on what I'm saying please email me and tell me why I'm wrong I'd love to hear

Apr 01, 2009 at 11:58 PM Anonymous Says:

Good point about the card!

Apr 02, 2009 at 10:26 AM Anonymous Says:

Good point about the card!

my card only works manually and each time I call the office noone picks up.and I do not know where to go for a new one.how do I get a new card?

Apr 02, 2009 at 09:44 AM PMO Says:

#12 & 14... your statements just show how LOW we have sunk.

Food stamps shouldn't be convenient! If you are not sick or disabled, you have no business being on food stamps in the first place! GET A JOB!

Things like food stamps, WIC and welfare are designed to help the most vulnerable in society... those who legitimately CANNOT do for themselves. I'm so sick of people talking about being on food stamps as if it is just something everyone is entitled to. That we should live on the backs of taxpayers like leeches!

Able yidden who take social assistance in lieu of working or working a second job are cheating the system. Its like stopping at a food pantry on your block and taking food intended for the needy because you don't want to walk all the way to the market on the next block. Why our rabbonim allow this to go on is beyond me.