Queens, NY - From Living at Ikea for a Week to 30 Days On a Plane

Published on: June 1, 2009 12:56 PM
By:  NY Post
Mark Malkoff at IkeaMark Malkoff at Ikea

Queens, NY - It’s a hell trip in the heavens for a Queens man who hatched a bizarre plan that he thinks will finally cure his fear of flying.

Mark Malkoff said he is going to stay on an airplane for an entire month, crisscrossing the country on various flights. His journey begins today at La Guardia with a two-hour flight to Atlanta, followed by San Francisco, then back to Atlanta. On some days, he’ll fly as many as 12 times a day, al though he’ll average about five or six, he said.

And when everyone takes off, he’ll stay on—alone—and sleep onboard.

“The only time I might get off is if I have to switch planes. Maybe I’ll go on the tarmac,” he said.

The Astoria man plans to video tape his above-ground odyssey, as well as live-blog throughout his flights.

To prep for his monthlong trip, Malkoff said he’s hit up some professionals to ask their advice.
“I’ve been talking to people like airline attendants, and they say breathe, shut your eyes and think tranquil thoughts,” said Malkoff.

Easier said than done.
“I flew with my wife recently—I gripped my wife’s hand so hard it was blue,” he said.

His plan to beat what he calls “an irrational fear” began about a year and a half ago. He met with brass at Airtran, a low-cost airline that caters to business travelers, who agreed to let him video his journey.

Malkoff—a comedian, writer and filmmaker who made headlines last year for living in an Ikea for a week—refused to say if the airline was paying him.

Alden, NY - Jerry Rosenberg, New York's longest serving inmate, has died of natural causes after 46 years in state prison. Rosenberg who's Jewish name was Yakov... Berlin - The thin, old man with gray wisps of hair talks slowly, but what he has to say could ruin John Demjanjuk's defense at his trial in Germany. Alexander...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Jun 01, 2009 at 12:04 PM Anonymous Says:

did he see the news of todays airplane tragedy

Jun 01, 2009 at 12:31 PM Anonymous Says:

Wow what a perfect world hashem created with all different types mishugoyim

Jun 01, 2009 at 12:14 PM Anonymous Says:

The airline food alone will kill him.

Jun 01, 2009 at 12:37 PM Milhouse Says:

did he see the news of todays airplane tragedy

Flying is still safer than driving. Car crashes don't even make it on the news any more, because they're so common.

And I still wish people would stop misusing the word "tragedy". Today's news is sad but it's hardly tragic.

Jun 01, 2009 at 12:37 PM Anonymous Says:

lol..hes gonna be raking in those frequent flier miles...maybe he wants to donate them to me?

Jun 01, 2009 at 12:35 PM Anonymous Says:

did he see the news of todays airplane tragedy

Yes, and the rarity of that event served to reassure him on the safety of air travel over any other mode of transportation.

Jun 01, 2009 at 02:00 PM Anonymous Says:

Wow what a perfect world hashem created with all different types mishugoyim

What makes you think he's meshugah I see a person willing to try new things

Jun 02, 2009 at 07:31 AM united gs Says:

Sounds like my life and I'm not videoing it mabe he will be on one of my many flights.

Jun 02, 2009 at 09:00 AM Jon Says:

So it says he didn't say if they were paying him for it, why would they pay him? I wonder if he has to pay to do this? How much would that cost?

Either way it sounds like fun, I'd be game!

Jun 02, 2009 at 11:46 AM Anonymous Says:

Where exactly will he shower during these 30 days?