Welcome, Guest! - or
Easy to remember!  »  VinNews.com

Brooklyn, NY - Borough Park City Council Seat Attracts National Attention

Published on: June 8, 2009 07:19 PM
Change text size Text Size  
40 year old Josh Skaller 40 year old Josh Skaller

Brooklyn, NY - The 39th Council District, which encompasses a large portion of the Orthodox Jewish Borough Park community, is the focus of national political figures, including former Presidential candidate and Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, Former Governor Dr. Howard Dean. 

VIN News has learned that Dr. Dean will be endorsing 40 year old Josh Skaller for the seat currently held by Bill deBlasio, who is not running for a third term. This endorsement will be taking place tomorrow, Tuesday, June 9. 9:00 AM at the campaign office of the Central Brooklyn Independent Democrats (CBID), 548 10th Street (between 7th & 8th Avenue) in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

The implications of this endorsement, according to Borough Park leaders, are enormous as it demonstrates the importance of this election to a political figure of Howard Dean’s stature and the potential ability to tap into resources that the former Governor and DNC Chairman may have at his disposal on behalf of the local communities.

Advertisement:

“Borough Park can only benefit by the representation of Josh Skaller, who clearly enjoys the respect of political leaders like Howard Dean,” said Simcha Eichenstein, who is coordinating the Jewish outreach effort for the Skaller campaign. “We believe that Josh Skaller can utilize his contacts at the highest levels of national government on behalf of the residents of the 39th Council District.”

Josh is the son of Jewish immigrants who fled Germany in 1939 to New York to build a new life in America. Josh was active in the Presidential campaign for Howard Dean.

Already there are two other declared candidates: longtime Community Board 6 district manager Craig Hammerman and Brad Lander, director of the Pratt Center for Community Development and former executive director of the Fifth Avenue Committee.

Lander, like Skaller, is new to running for office, but Hammerman ran against DeBlasio in 2001.



More of today's headlines

Jerusalem - A robot snake with a camera and microphone in its head is the Israeli military's latest battlefield weapon, according to an Israeli TV report broadcast... Kiryas Joel - Young men shouted and pelted trooper cars with eggs and plastic water bottles Monday during a melee that erupted hours before an outdoor wedding that was...

 

Total16

Read Comments (16)  —  Post Yours »

1

 Jun 08, 2009 at 06:41 PM Concerned for Boro Park Says:

How does Howard Dean’s endorsement help him in Borough Park?

2

 Jun 08, 2009 at 06:49 PM Milhouse Says:

Reply to #1  
Concerned for Boro Park Says:

How does Howard Dean’s endorsement help him in Borough Park?

It probably doesn't, but it certainly does in Caroll Gardens!

3

 Jun 08, 2009 at 06:52 PM Anonymous Says:

it might help him all over the district, but brad lander has much more chances in boro park, we all remember when brad lander came to the Bonei Olem Dinner and shaked hands with hundreds of people who pleged to vote for him

4

 Jun 08, 2009 at 06:51 PM Yoely from 11th Avenue Says:

Reply to #1  
Concerned for Boro Park Says:

How does Howard Dean’s endorsement help him in Borough Park?

Helps with fundraising-money-gelt

5

 Jun 08, 2009 at 07:46 PM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #3  
Anonymous Says:

it might help him all over the district, but brad lander has much more chances in boro park, we all remember when brad lander came to the Bonei Olem Dinner and shaked hands with hundreds of people who pleged to vote for him

Well boro park is less then 15% of the district and we all know that boro park doesn't vote. Just ask Simcha Felder

6

 Jun 08, 2009 at 08:16 PM Anonymous Says:

A message to Josh Skaller: If you are running for office in Boro Park, Howard Dean is the worst endorsement you could have gotten

7

 Jun 08, 2009 at 08:14 PM Borough Parker Says:

This is huge for a local council race. How did he get howard dean to endorse him?

8

 Jun 08, 2009 at 08:10 PM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #4  
Yoely from 11th Avenue Says:

Helps with fundraising-money-gelt

I don't know if there is 50 people in Boro Park who know who is howard dean so for fundraising it dosnt make to much of a diffrence, its only a little publicity, but brad lander has endorsments of working family party, plus from lots of elected officals like Assm Dov Hikind,Rep Jerry Nadler, Sen, Daniel Squdren and more

9

 Jun 08, 2009 at 09:32 PM Milhouse Says:

Reply to #6  
Anonymous Says:

A message to Josh Skaller: If you are running for office in Boro Park, Howard Dean is the worst endorsement you could have gotten

But in Carroll Gardens, Windsor Terrace, Red Hook, Sunset Park, etc. it's pretty good. So why should he care how it plays in Boro Park?

10

 Jun 08, 2009 at 10:10 PM sam Says:

simcha eichenstien would be the right candidate for city councel, we all need SIMCHA

11

 Jun 09, 2009 at 01:41 AM Anonymous Says:

So Dov Hikind helps the candidate for Boro APrk that is 15% of the district and part of the District that doesn't vote. Howard Dean helps for the other 85% of the district that does vote.

Now tell which endorsment is better?

Josh good job, Brad should run around in Boro Park and put all his effort there and you make sure to work the other part of the district that will get you elected.

12

 Jun 09, 2009 at 10:39 AM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #11  
Anonymous Says:

So Dov Hikind helps the candidate for Boro APrk that is 15% of the district and part of the District that doesn't vote. Howard Dean helps for the other 85% of the district that does vote.

Now tell which endorsment is better?

Josh good job, Brad should run around in Boro Park and put all his effort there and you make sure to work the other part of the district that will get you elected.

according to my info Brad is very strong in all parts of the district especially in park slope where he lives and he was the 1st one in the race, acording to most of the people i spoek to he has the most of the vote, plus he has major endorsments like Sen Squadron who is very pouplar in the District, so the endorsment of Howard Dean isnt major news

13

 Jun 09, 2009 at 11:26 AM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #12  
Anonymous Says:

according to my info Brad is very strong in all parts of the district especially in park slope where he lives and he was the 1st one in the race, acording to most of the people i spoek to he has the most of the vote, plus he has major endorsments like Sen Squadron who is very pouplar in the District, so the endorsment of Howard Dean isnt major news

Senator Daniel Squadron doesn't represent Park Slope, he only has a small portion of the district in Carrol Gardens. Get your facts straight

14

 Jun 09, 2009 at 01:52 PM Dean Endoresd Says:

i heard that Dean endorsed Lander with Skaller can some one confirm?

15

 Jun 09, 2009 at 02:27 PM BB Says:

The day I vote for someone who has been endorsed by both Messrs. Nadler & Dean, is the day Iran converts en masse to Judaism.

16

 Jun 10, 2009 at 04:27 PM Milhouse Says:

Reply to #15  
BB Says:

The day I vote for someone who has been endorsed by both Messrs. Nadler & Dean, is the day Iran converts en masse to Judaism.

Don't laugh, it's happened over there before. ורבים מעמי הארץ מתיהדים

17

Sign-in to post a comment

Click here to sign-in.

Scroll Up
Advertisements:

Sell your scrap gold and broken jewelry and earn hard cash sell gold today!