Avon, CO - Colorado Newspaper Apologizes for ‘Jewish descent’ Description

Published on: July 1, 2009 01:22 PM

Avon, CO - The Vail Daily last week took the brunt of a well-deserved public beat-down for publishing a sheriff’s department press release in which a witness to a home break-in in Edwards described a suspect as being of “Jewish or Eastern European descent.”

The now properly edited staff report is still on the paper’s Web site, but the offending original version made it into print last week Wednesday, prompting an apology from self-described Jewish American managing editor Matt Zalaznick i n Thursday’s paper and a flood of justifiably outraged letters to the editor in Friday’s paper.

The press release issued by the Eagle County Sheriff’s Department and printed by the Daily went on to relay the witness description of the suspect as having “dark hair, large nose, pierced ears, narrow face and eyes that were close together.”

Zalaznick admitted the paper screwed up: “We felt there was a difference between saying that all Jewish people look a certain way and that one alleged burglar in Edwards, Colorado looked Jewish. The former is truly reprehensible, the latter still offensive, but a result of sloppy editing rather than any individual or institutional bigotry.”

Trenton, NJ - Couples getting a divorce can decide who gets custody of their children outside of court through mediation, the state Supreme Court said today. The... Los Angeles, CA - American Apparel whose founder Dov Charney has been a vocal advocate of immigration reform, has been told by the United States government that 1,800 of...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Jul 01, 2009 at 01:04 PM Raphael Kaufman Says:

What does and Eastern European look like?

Jul 01, 2009 at 02:19 PM yankel Says:

In Eagle County Colorado they'd never know that I was Jewish because I don't have “dark hair, large nose, pierced ears, narrow face and eyes that were close together.” But the beard, yamalka and tzitzis would give it away.

I'm going to look around the shule to see if we have anyone their with dark hair, large nose, narrow face, and eyes that are close together. I know we have no men with pierced ears!

Jul 01, 2009 at 02:17 PM Anonymous Says:

Could have been an Arab terrorist?

Jul 01, 2009 at 01:59 PM Anonymous Says:

What an idiot. The Jewish look doesnt exist. Middle Eastern, European, dark skinned, thos all work, but Jewish looking? Meshuggeneh.

Jul 01, 2009 at 01:58 PM Anonymous Says:

I dont see a problem with this if it were said amongst Jews. Often I meet other Jews and say, you look like your family is from .... and I dont find that to be wrong! Im sorry but litvish Jews for instance have a distinct look that seperates them from syrian Jews.

Jul 01, 2009 at 04:12 PM Avrohom Abba Says:

Apology accepted.
They could have done the exact same thing, without ever mentioning the word, "Jewish."

Jul 01, 2009 at 03:33 PM esther Says:

of course there's a jewish(ashkenai)look.i meet other yidden like that often.perhaps we're sensitive to this description by non-jews because of the nazi caractures of jews.

Jul 01, 2009 at 05:48 PM Double Standard Says:

But if they would have said shvartza look or spic look, it would have been curtains!!

Jul 01, 2009 at 09:18 PM mike Says:

My eyes are close together. I never knew that me Jewish looking.