New York, NY - New iPhone App Allows Users to File Complaints with 311

Published on: October 1, 2009 11:23 PM

New York, NY - The city is introducing a new iPhone application that will let residents file quality-of-life complaints immediately to the city’s 311 system.

Under an initiative of Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, the 311 system was designed to make sense of the labyrinth of city agencies by sorting all incoming calls. Questions, complaints, requests for service were all directed through a single phone number. There was also a web site.

But the new application was released to provide a more user-friendly approach, said Paul J. Cosgrave, the city’s information technology commissioner. The application was started after a request was made in March by City Council speaker Christine C. Quinn and Councilwoman Gale A. Brewer.
Other programs for other smart phones will be released by the end of the year.

Whether it is graffiti, a pothole or a noise complaint, the application allows users to use the phone’s G.P.S. technology to locate the offense and photos to support the claim.

Manhattan, NY - The Landmarks Preservation Commission has approved a controversial proposal by Chabad of the Upper West Side to build a day school, synagogue and... Bronx, NY - Visitors to the new Yankee Stadium craving falafel, shawarma or matbuha (red pepper and tomato salad) should seek out the services of chef Ouri Nidam. Nidam...

Oct 02, 2009 at 12:46 AM Tina18 Says:

I do not like this idea at all. 311 started off as a good idea but has turned into a snitching device. Anyone who is not happy with his landlord, boss, teacher, spouse can go complain to 311 that they are being abused or being paid cash as an employees, etc . and can cause all kinds of trouble just because someone complained. I know the usual chachumem will disagree with me, but thats just the way I see it

Oct 02, 2009 at 07:26 AM Anonymous Says:

Tina18 Says:

Not to worry. These complains are falling on deaf ears anyway.

Oct 02, 2009 at 07:51 AM Manny Says:

Tina18: I just installed the 311 NYC app on my iPhone, you have nothing to worry cause you can only report a broken light or a damaged tree etc.

Oct 02, 2009 at 01:59 AM Anonymous Says:

#1 spot on the 311 has become out of hand

Oct 02, 2009 at 01:38 AM Anonymous Says:

311 makes every newyorker for a quick muser

Oct 02, 2009 at 12:39 AM Anonymous Says:

Now every new yorker can be a 'muser' faster

Oct 02, 2009 at 10:02 AM Anonymous Says:

Good! now i know where to complain bout landlords not wanting to sent their apts only so section 8 holders so they can squeeze out every penny from them and middle class hard workers must suffer. it's absolutely atrocious.

Oct 02, 2009 at 12:42 PM Anonymous Says:

Tina18 Says:

You have to understand that of course tenants are abusing the system & its a great way to drive a landlord cray & not to pay rent & after that asking $20,000 to move out!!!

But on the other i know alot of landlords who give no service at all no heating for the entire winter, not taking care of leaks, etc., & the tenants get their GEHENOM on this world,

its a good idea but it has to be modified to be more fair,

Just like our housing court system, a tenant can play with a landlord for 2 YEARS in court & not paying a dime rent in the meantime,