Hatboro PA - 'Arbeit Macht Frei' Sign Replica Marketed on eBay

Published on: December 23, 2009 09:00 PM
Replica Marketed on eBayReplica Marketed on eBay

Hatboro PA - The Simon Wiesenthal Center is urging eBay to cancel the auction  of an “Arbeit Macht Frei” sign, touted as “similar to the one in Auschwitz” being offered for sale on the Web site.

The representation, which is being sold by a Pennsylvania man using the name “ss panzergrenadier,” is being marketed a few days after the real sign was stolen from Auschwitz and found two days later in northern Poland in a forest buried under snow.

The sales description on eBay reads: “For sale is a sign in German meaning ‘Work for Freedom’ that dates back to the 1700s and was used in many Nazi Concentration camps.

“It was designed specifically from the sign over the main gate at Auschwitz. It measures about 7 feet long and is made from 1/4 round bar steel with 1/8 x 3/4 steel lettering…Gate is not included, just the actual lettering and boarder pictured.”

The sign was intended to mislead arriving victims into thinking that if they worked hard they would do well at the death camp.

As of Wednesday afternoon there was one bid for the item at $75, with bidding set to end on Friday at 7 p.m.

Read the full story at The Jerusalem Post

Brooklyn, NY - A crooked judge convicted of fixing divorce cases left a Harlem halfway house today and wasted no time stirring up outrage over a delicate... Trenton - New Jersey has become the 11th state to create an emergency system for locating elderly residents gone missing. Acting Gov. Richard Codey on Wednesday...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Dec 23, 2009 at 09:09 PM Shaul in Monsey Says:

Does anyone think it makes sense to buy it and then destroy it?

Dec 23, 2009 at 09:10 PM Anonymous Says:

eBay Anti-Semites abound. Looks like the man welded that piece of junk together in his own filthy garage.

Dec 23, 2009 at 09:20 PM Shaul in Monsey Says:

If you click on the above link to the listing, you can report it. Maybe if eBay gets a lot of reports they will remove the listing. eBay doesn't give you much leeway in reporting the item, so I reported it as "Items produced by or linked to disastrous or tragic events."

Dec 23, 2009 at 09:30 PM power up Says:

Who cares??? Whom those it bother?? Because that's what the sign said at the gates of aushvitz is he not allowed to copy it and sell it if it works for him?? Why??

I can see the weisenthal center is not too busy lately

Dec 23, 2009 at 09:30 PM AAA Says:

foy!!!

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:04 PM Just Thinking Says:

I can't see why he can't make a living. We have much better things to worry about, and selling the sign is in no way anti-semitic. Some Jews just love noise and if they can't find it, they'll make it

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:24 PM Anonymous Says:

#3 Thanks for the info.
I also just reported this bid and i urge others to report this bid as well.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:29 PM Anonymous Says:

Can we start a email writing campaign, to ebay . Me and my freinds will boycott ebay if they don't take off this from their site . The world is shameless place , if it can make anyone richer by a buck....

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM professor Says:

the guy is probably an anti-semite by virtue of his handle-SS ...

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM how disgusting Says:

I don't see how anyone can find this acceptable.This is a sign that symbolizes the torture of millions of Jews.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:57 PM Anonymous Says:

Its his right to make and sell any junk he wants under the First Amendment no matter how much it may upset some yidden.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:55 PM Forsmelly Says:

Can't you guys give someone the benefit of the doubt?
Maybe he made it to replace the original when he heard it was stolen? Maybe he already had an extra one from a different camp? When he heard about the theft he took it out of his attic to sell? Maybe he was hoping to open his own camp? Just because the guys nickname is "SS Panzer grenadier" doesn't mean he's a Nazi or a sympathizer. This is America, he has a right to freedom of expression. All those that complain should know that you are misgaros bi'oomos and are making a chillul Hashem.
See ya in camp!

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:05 AM Anonymous Says:

I have long wondered why there is no museum of the war within the heimishe community so our kids will know and remember what happened to our grandparents and understand our background and the rich Jewish history of Europe. It doesn't have to be a graphical display but just informativ of the past.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:54 AM everyone chill Says:

who cares . I think maybe ill make some of those and make some money and sell em to holocaust museums as a memorial, its a free country

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:39 PM Anonymous Says:

power up Says:

I can see the weisenthal center is not too busy lately

I care!! My ziedes cousins and millions of people were killed there systematicly in cold blood. Nobody should profit from such momentos . If you don't care , I have pity on your wife and kids ,if you have . Cause this shows a lack of pity to human beings.

Dec 24, 2009 at 02:56 AM Shlomo Says:

Forsmelly Says:

Can't you guys give someone the benefit of the doubt?
See ya in camp!

Not exactly the right topic to be sarcastic about. Show some sensitivity to so many of the VIN readers that are children or grandchildren of those that suffered under the hands of the cursed Nazis Ymchs"m. You should be ashamed of yourself. You obviously do not grasp the magnimity of the holocaust. How sad and unfortunate.

Dec 24, 2009 at 11:58 AM Anonymous Says:

how disgusting Says:

You are a walking talking Hypocrite. On the one hand, when the real sign was stolen, you were up in arms "How can someone remove this memory blah blah blah"..........and now, that someone is selling the sign which will help perpetuate the memory, "how can someone sell such a sign!? blah blah blah"

Why dont you think before you write and give us all the reasons for and against. Dont just ramble mindless senseless opinions unless you can back it up with logic and reason.

I admit that I personally have no opinion on this since I have not weighed the balance of the equities. I think certainly if the guy is a German, no german should be allowed to profit in any way from this tragedy. On the other hand, what if he is a Jew? I don't know, but at least I admit that I dont know, instead of mindless banter.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:03 PM Anonymous Says:

how disgusting Says:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY IT IS NOT HYPOCRITICAL TO BE UPSET WHEN THE SIGN IS TAKEN DOWN ("THE MEMORY IS BEING DESTROYED!"), YET ALSO UPSET WHEN A REPLICA IS BEING PUT INTO CIRCULATION (" ???????? ")

CAT GOT YOUR TONGUE?

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:09 PM Anonymous Says:

how disgusting Says:

I believe the answer to that apparent contradiction is that we are so sensitive with anything regarding the holocaust, that we will often take unreasonable positions. One such very-misguided position is that "the holocaust cannot be explained"

It CAN be explained and there is only ONE explanation, whether you want to admit it or not: TESHUVA!!

G-d didnt "allow" the Holocaust to happen. He CAUSED IT - IT IS A PUNISHMENT FOR ALL OUR COLLECTIVE SINS! How much more obvious could it be?! A lowlife drunk named Hitler rises to be the most powerful leader in Germany: a Coincidence? NO!!!!!!!!!!

TESHUVA, TZEDAKA , AND TEFILAH.......WILL SET YOU FREE.

THAT IS THE EMESS!

Dec 24, 2009 at 08:35 PM Anonymous Says:

the bid is over 10,000 dollars by now.

Dec 25, 2009 at 12:37 AM Anonymous Says:

At over $20,000 with one day left to go, I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these signs on ebay if it's not stopped. That's some real $$

Dec 25, 2009 at 01:32 AM Anonymous Says:

his "note" says there might be fake bids and that it will go to second place bidder. I have a feeling all the bidding except for the 220$ bid is fake.

Dec 25, 2009 at 05:56 AM professor Says:

He is not a hypocrite. His logic is simple to follow. The monument should be where it in memory of the Kedoishim. However it should be a monument, and not a memento. I don't want someone to paint over the hateful swastikas that commemorate the evil done. But I also don't want my neighbors sporting them on their houses and cars.
Do you advocate little "Arbeit Macht Frei" key chains as well?

We are to wipe out the memory of Amalek. We are also told to remember what they did. As a civilization Amalek should be no more. But we also must never forget the atrocities that were committed. We will not tout little Amalek banners, but we keep the memory of the incident alive in the shesh zechiro(i)s

Dec 25, 2009 at 09:46 AM Boruch Hashem Says:

The auction has been removed.

Dec 25, 2009 at 10:46 AM Anonymous Says:

professor Says:

Do you advocate little "Arbeit Macht Frei" key chains as well?

You have failed to explain why the original, left where it is, serves as a memory for the kedoshim, yet replicas placed elsewhere - say in a museum - does not serve as a memory.

Keychains are not at issue here. A full size replica being used for an unknown purpose is at issue. IF that unknown purpose was revealed, and the purpose is shown to be crass or hateful or demeaning, then certainly all would agree.

But the fact is, the purpose might be a good purpose. Certainly, you cannot profess to know the purpose.