Jersey City, NJ - Guilty Verdict in First Dwek Corruption Trial

Published on: February 11, 2010 05:25 PM
By:  APP

Jersey City, NJ - A city official in New Jersey has been convicted on two of six corruption counts in the first trial stemming from the state’s largest federal sting.

The panel returned its verdict against Jersey City Deputy Mayor Leona Beldini today at the end of its second day of deliberations following a nine-day trial.

Beldini showed little reaction as the verdict was read.

She has been convicted on two counts of accepting bribes from a federal informant posing as a corrupt developer. She has been acquitted of extortion conspiracy, two counts of attempted extortion and a third bribery count.

The 74-year-old Beldini was among 44 people arrested last summer in a dual public corruption and money laundering sting. She was the first of the group to stand trial.

The government’s key witness in the trial was Solomon Dwek, a former Ocean Township resident and failed developer who became a federal informant shortly after he was arrested by the FBI in May 2006 on $50 million in bank fraud charges.

After agreeing to cooperate with the government, Dwek, 37, traveled throughout New Jersey and into New York City, wearing a wire and secretly videotaping his conversations with government officials and Syrian Jewish rabbis with a tiny video camera.

The videotapes and Dwek’s testimony were the centerpiece of the Beldini trial. The government called only three other witnesses.

Beldini faced up to 20 years in prison if convicted of all six counts, but could receive much less time under federal sentencing guidelines.

Monsey, NY - A letter released today by one of the Rabbis that has provided kashrus certification for years to Agriprocessors in Postville, Iowa, before it was sold to... New York City - According to ABC News  Former President Bill Clinton has been Hospitalized in New York City at Colombia University hospital, Clinton, 63, was...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Feb 11, 2010 at 05:47 PM Anonymous Says:

terrible

Feb 11, 2010 at 05:49 PM hi there, Says:

nebech nebech for all those people involved. hashem should shenk them a git mazel.

Feb 11, 2010 at 06:48 PM OMG Says:

The smartest move any of the defendants could is plea out the case, I hope that they will not try to take a page from the Rubashkin’s book.

Feb 11, 2010 at 07:25 PM Anonymous Says:

terrible

Why is this terrible. A jury heard the evidence and all the defense team excuses (including entrapment) and still found them guilty. I suspect they will get guilty verdicts in most of these trials since most people I know are disgusted with these political hacks and rabbonin/askanim who are the heads of yiddeshe organizations who steal, cheat, accept bribes or engages or other forms of unlawful behavior. While dwek is no tzadik, his testimony may ultimately serve a positive purpose if it results in convictions and provides a strong deterrent to future crimes.

Feb 11, 2010 at 07:51 PM Anonymous Says:

am i the only one who noticed that the prosecuters name was sandra moser

Feb 11, 2010 at 09:11 PM Anonymous Says:

I must say your comment portraits a charachter that shows no resemblence to any of the midos that a yid is known to have! What's with rachmunin bnai ruchmunim? All that is visible is Sinah! I assume you have some bitterness in your life to deal with. Hashem should help you!

Feb 11, 2010 at 08:08 PM Anonymous Says:

Why do u get so excired with peoples downfall and people having to sit in jail? Its still sad that someone has to sit in jail.

Feb 11, 2010 at 08:12 PM Anonymous Says:

I truly feel bad for those involved in this mess that have been conspired against and face a trial. Hopefully they will be dealt with mercy and understanding. Many families, children, and orginizations are involved and at stake, and I hope this entire episode ends without tragedy. Too much gossip, slander, and free talk has been spread already and we pray for everyone's mercy from heaven. Especially our Rabbi's.

Feb 11, 2010 at 08:23 PM Anonymous Says:

What's the excitement? Did a simcha happen? You have a heart made out of stone and no rachmanus? When some1 has an operation 4 his good we still feel bad that he's going through pain. So relax and don't be so trigger happy

Feb 11, 2010 at 09:20 PM Anonymous Says:

imagine the choice Dweck made when he chose to masser & give up his future in the world to come

Feb 11, 2010 at 09:39 PM Anonymous Says:

Who is excited about people's downfall. Maybe you don't care but most of us are really disgusted with these politians and heads of our mosdos who take our tax money and tzadakah and use it to enrich themselves or their chevrah. Maybe you get your money for free from the government (aka welfare) so don't really care but most of us work very hard to feed our families and despise these people who take us for fools.

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:38 PM Anonymous Says:

Mr Big mouth I would love to check your book and your tax return I bet your hiding plenty of garbadge you most probably more guilty then all these defendants you are piece of scum jumping on other peoples problems

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:53 PM Anonymous Says:

One juror, Mike Cuppari, called Mr. Dwek ”a bad guy”

Feb 12, 2010 at 08:43 AM dreck Says:

dwek is a sucess. he got all those curropted politicians and rabbis. lav dafka

Feb 12, 2010 at 08:44 AM Anonymous Says:

Hashem should remove the blinders from your eyes so you can see the corruption all around you.

Feb 12, 2010 at 08:46 AM Anonymous Says:

The families, children and orginizations you claim are at stake BECAUSE of this trial, were put in that postion by your leaderes making their greedy decisions to line their pockets. No one elses fault but their own. Justice is swift, rules will be changed, and whether YOU accept it or not these people are all guilty and WILL pay the price.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:09 AM bystander Says:

I just hope the way you are so jumpy and swift to be dan people le'Kaf Zechus(belashon sage nahar) so may haShem deal with you, and boy WILL you ever pay that price in both worlds..... shame on you.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM Dovid S Says:

I would rather have my tax dollars spent on prosecuting these corrupt politicians than have my gelt going for their welfare payments! Put them away and save my money.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:46 AM ShatzMatz Says:

I read some insightful analysis of the Beldini trial. It seems that the Jurors did not believe one word from Dreck and they didn't give his testimony any weight. it was only the video evidence that convinced them. My understanding from the evidence is that the video evidence was quite dubious and vague. Real experts say that the video showed that Beldini was not a crooked politician, just desperately trying to raise money for a campaign. She might have stepped over the line, but not by much. The prosecution over stepped their bounds by laying down so many charges that cannot be substantiated. Trial watchers say that the judge didn't seem to be pleased with the goverments conduct in this case. I think that the real indication will come from the sentencing. My guess would be a sentence of 8 months. Beldini was not such a monster as the overzealous prosecutors portrayed.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:59 AM Anonymous Says:

bystander Says:

Bystander....I have done nothing wrong, and think again before YOU try to claim how God will judge me. Your leaders, however, will have to answer for their actions, NOT ME. I have this thing a lot of you arent familiar with, its called a job. I work 11 hours a day, I get money. I pay my own way....no govt handouts, no lies, no cheating. Unlike your insuar comminuties with the mansions, luxury cars, welfare and food stamps, I work hard and pay taxes and drive a Ford.....my conscious, along with my taxes, are all clean. How about you??

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM Dwek Says:

al toden as chaveircha ad shatageia lmimkomo

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:11 PM Anonymous Says:

well I'm clean as well, i BH have a good going business and BH have everything i need BH Im from the givers but can love support and understand does how do not have i laid off over ten workers this year it really was very bad but i had no choice, i will never say that how ever takes is a sucker, if you fell that way your taxes can be clean but how about your HEART why not feel and pain for a fellow Jew?

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM Anonymous Says:

I feel pain for people who have things out of their control happen to them. These men MADE these decisions, and MADE the choice to lie, cheat and steal. Why can you not understand that??

Feb 12, 2010 at 06:12 PM von Says:

Lemasuh....all these people are guilty so if not for dwek they woulda been cought some other way...stop blaming dwek..we can't have criminels...they'll all be punished together

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:06 AM Anonymous Says:

a terribile tragedy for kllal yisroel to have such a muser among us. i wonder if you would like the i,r,s, to visit you, if you have any personal situtaion with yeshivas
poloticians or rabanim have it out with them personally, how would a yid if you are one
write such nonesense. if convicterd is the ira vatimen in times of bais hamikdosh
hashem did not ask you to do his job our job as yidden is 1. mot to muser
2. pidyon shvim. 3.and cillel hashem . he did all three and you dont seem to be botherd with it.

hope you realize waht your saying is totaly wrong