New York, NY - City Launched Anonymous Hotline for Students to Report Violence

Published on: March 1, 2010 08:50 PM

New York, NY - New York City school students can now call an anonymous hotline to speak out against violence.

It’s called Speak Up NYC.

On Monday, Council Speaker Christine Quinn and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly helped to launch the city-wide program.

Kids can call in and report concerns about violence in their schools or communities, and studies show it can make a difference.

A government report shows that in most school shootings, the attackers tell other students about their plans.

The hotline number is 1-866-SPEAK-UP

Manhattan, NY - New York Times Co. will distribute its news to 850 television screens in Dunkin’ Donuts coffee shops and other locations in five U.S. cities to promote... New York - Under intense pressure from Democratic Party officials, Harold E. Ford Jr., the former Tennessee congressman, has decided not to challenge Sen. Kirsten E...

Mar 01, 2010 at 09:51 PM Anonymous Says:

how is it anonymous if its a tollfree number?

Mar 01, 2010 at 11:27 PM Anonymous Says:

how is it anonymous if its a tollfree number?

meaning???

Mar 01, 2010 at 11:32 PM mem di Says:

Mar 01, 2010 at 11:52 PM Anonymous Says:

and what are the safeguards in place that nobody abuse the system?

Mar 01, 2010 at 11:52 PM Anonymous Says:

mem di Says:

Are you mentally stable individual? You approve rabbis beating their students for "their own good"?

Mar 01, 2010 at 11:58 PM Milhouse Says:

The gemara (Makkos 8b) seems to agree with him.

Mar 02, 2010 at 12:24 AM In shock Says:

Milhouse Says:

The gemara (Makkos 8b) seems to agree with him.

Let's be rational. I think the Rabbeim in the time of Gemara were Tanaim and Amoraim. When they made a decision to hit a child they did it for all the right reasons and none of the wrong ones. Todays elementary school Rabeim for the most part do not have kol Hatorah Kuloh on their finger tips and don't even care enough about the kids to hit for the right reason. ANY REBBI TODAY WHO HITS IS AN ABUSIVE MONSTER. There is ZERO Heter to hit a kid today. When I was a kid my English teacher who was also a Rebbi smacked me around. The next day he was fired. Years later my father told me that he told the Rosh Yeshivah that if you don't fire him Ill have him arrested in front of the whole school. Thanks dad :-)

Mar 02, 2010 at 12:29 AM Anonymous Says:

mem di Says:

A rebbe should never be physical ... if he cannot dicipline then let him get out of the system.

Mar 02, 2010 at 12:38 AM Anonymous Says:

A Rebbe or Teacher has no right to hit a child in class. If the kid is bad send him to the principle or send the kid home. Hitting is out of the question.

Mar 02, 2010 at 08:22 AM Anonymous Says:

To me its really simple. "You hit my child I walk into your classroom and beat you"

Mar 02, 2010 at 08:17 AM Good for you! Says:

In shock Says:

Your father sounds like a wonderful man. Anybody who allows teachers to hit their children is supporting abuse. It's 100% wrong.

Mar 02, 2010 at 02:35 AM Anonymous Says:

What about parents beating up their kids??? Rebbeim wouldn't hit if their parent swere normal, and the whole system would be different if the parents handled their kids instead of beating them up emotionally, verbally and physically.

Mar 02, 2010 at 03:34 AM Ben Says:

I'm gonna report every rebbe I had lol

Mar 02, 2010 at 10:26 AM Anonymous Says:

Is a Father or Mother allowed to give their child a smack for being bad or doing something dangerous?
Wonder what you think about this.

Mar 02, 2010 at 10:29 AM Huh? Says:

So the rabbis have to hit kids because of the children's parents beating them up? Oh, that makes sense. We should all beat children, then.

Mar 02, 2010 at 11:19 AM Anonymous Says:

meaning???

the article says that it is anonymous. how can iit be so if the number you are calling is toll free . anyone with a half a brain knows that you can not block an 800 number

Mar 02, 2010 at 11:39 AM Anonymous Says:

My brothers went to munkatch yeshiva when they were younger and were beaten by their rabbis everyday. One day one of my brothers had enough and took a desk, threw it at the rabbi and told him that if he ever touched him again he would be sorry. Of course he got in trouble but instead of being upset with my brother, my mother realized what a poisonous environment this was for a developing child and pulled all my brothers out of that place. A rebbe should be someone you can trust and learn from. When a child is beaten by someone he's supposed to be close to it damages him and he'll grow up trust issues, anxiety, and alot of times becomes angry with judaism because someone who's supposed to represent judaism for them has turned into something so ugly. STOP BEATING OUR CHILREN!!!! because you can be responsible for a lost generation.

Mar 02, 2010 at 03:55 PM Anonymous Says:

We r jews and we have a torah the gemura say exactly how you have to hit a child. but you gotta hit!!!

Mar 02, 2010 at 05:01 PM Anonymous Says:

mem di Says:

mem di Says: Says:

“ Let's just hope a yingle in cheder doesn't get fed up with his rebbe beating him and giving him petch FOR HIS GOOD gets fed up and speaks up ”

No, exactly the opposite. Let's just hope Rebbe in Cheder doesn't give petch to any of his students, and that if he does petch, the yingle will speak up. Good warning for Rebbes who act out of control. Petch is for parents ONLY to give, and even then, only when the parent is calm, controlled, and petches only very rarely for the most serious, (or dangerous behavior).

The days of Rebbes' petch being acceptable should definitely be over, and if not, let the children have recourse. Let the abusive Rebbes tzitter a little.