New York - VIN Exclusive Video: Yehuda Green Bringing The Music of Reb Shlomo To The Next Generation

Published on: March 4, 2010 12:18 PM
Superstar Yehuda Green preforms for VIN readers a song from his newly released CD 'Yearning'Superstar Yehuda Green preforms for VIN readers a song from his newly released CD ‘Yearning’

New York - While there are many performers out there who claim to be the next Shlomo Carlebach, there is no questions that it is Yehuda Green  who seems to the be the heir to that particular throne.  In a recent exclusive interview for VIN News with Yossi Zweig of jewishinsights.com , Green talks about his new album, Yearning,  which has been released to the stores today.
Every song on the album deals with the theme of yearning: the longing for Yerushalayim, the poignant moments that Green recalls from his childhood, the indescribable ache that we all feel as we wait for Moshiach to come.  Those feelings of yearning are a perfect fit for the timeless music of Reb Shlomo Carlebach.

Watch Below end of article, full interview and Exclusive performance by Yehuda.
Green describes how he first heard Reb Shlomo’s music at age five, growing up in a Chassidic home in Eretz Yisroel and how his father would ask him to sing the classic Mimkomcha, over and over again.  Since then, the music of Reb Shlomo has become part of Green’s soul, infusing his life with simcha and ruchniyus.  In turn, Green uses this music and the power that it carries to reach people from every end of the spectrum and make them feel closer to Hashem.
As the newly chosen Baal Tefilla for the Carlebach Synagogue, Green feels an added responsibility.  There are those who walk into the Shul and are only planning on staying for five minutes.  It is his job to keep them there, make them see and feel what a Shul is all about.  Green knows that if you give people what they want and need, it will fill their neshama, bring them closer to their roots and they will come back, over and over again.

Cover of newly released CD of Yehuda GreenCover of newly released CD of Yehuda Green

In the three years since Green’s debut album, Land of Your Soul, came out, Green’s career has rocketed skyward.  He is universally loved by people from all across the religious spectrum and has performed in numerous locations, several Kumzitz on the Hudson cruises and even appeared in the prestigious HASC Concert in 2009, with superstars Yaakov Shwekey, Dovid Gabay and Boruch Levine.  When asked who he would like to perform with next, Green answers that we all have to be b’achdus and he is happy to sing with anyone and bring more nachas to Hakadosh Baruch Hu.
Asked how he feels to be called the next Reb Shlomo, Green says he just ignores the comparisons and is just doing what he knows how to do.  While he certainly sings with a Carlebach ruach as he has been following Reb Shlomo’s music since the age of five,  he admits he never dreamed he would be the one to express Reb Shlomo’s music to the world.  Green has no doubt in his mind that Reb Shlomo is with him and tries his best to follow in the Carlebach’s footsteps, keeping Reb Shlomo’s neshama and ruach in each and every song.  Green says that if Reb Shlomo were here to advise him now, he would tell him to “sing it the way Hashem gave it to me.”
As a final treat, Green performs a new song exclusive to VIN readers from his new album, called Nafshi Lashem, a joint composition between Green and Shlomo Carlebach.  Given his past track record, the album is sure to be very well received by music lovers from all walks of life.

Interview was filmed in ProTubes Studio, Brooklyn NY
Filmed By: Video Maven-Yossi Tepper
Produced and Directed By: IntelligentNoise - www.IntelligentNoiseAndDeli.com

To watch the Full 30 minute exclusive interview click below:

Or to listen to the song he preforms for VIN Readers click below:

New York - The topic kept coming up all the time. “Everybody I talked to over the past year has been saying, ‘Ugh, it’s so awful,’ ” former Mayor Edward I... Queens, NY - This yeshiva offers weightlifting, bench pressing, and a college degree. “We want our guys to be physically fit,” said rosh yeshiva Rabbi Dovid Rhodes...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Mar 04, 2010 at 12:37 PM Robert Says:

Yehuda is so the man. There was a Mishpocho piece on him a while back.

Mar 04, 2010 at 12:35 PM green fan Says:

He's the best

Mar 04, 2010 at 12:39 PM Anonymous Says:

Reb Shlomo was not a "superstar." He was a talmid chacham and also a singer and composer, and had a good heart. That was what made Reb Shlomo who he was. Anyone who isn't all of that will never be but a pale imitation.

Mar 04, 2010 at 12:48 PM Velvel Says:

I had the pleasure of hearing Yehuda Green in concert on Purim at the Manhattan Beach Jewish Center. He is a wonderful performer but more importantly he is a mentch who treats everyone with respect.

Mar 04, 2010 at 12:54 PM Anonymous Says:

He is full of NESHUMA, when I hear his songs I get full of gagiem, and very DERHOBEN!

Mar 04, 2010 at 12:56 PM Anonymous Says:

Love his music, but he aint shlomo. To be a shlomo, you need a heart like shlomo and you need to know a lot. I heard yehuda once tell a story where he was trying to copy shlomo, but he was so far off.
Think about shlomo's "cheskele git shabbas" "avrumele the water carrier" "moshele ganav" "joe the bishope" can he ever come close
Maybe with time he will get better at it

Mar 04, 2010 at 01:14 PM Anonymous Says:

No one will have the lamdus and ahavas yisroel and be such a mosef nefesh like rav shlomo. He will be remembered as one of the gadolei yisroel.

Mar 04, 2010 at 01:14 PM Anonymous Says:

he will be at sharaie tfillah in lawrence this upcoming shabbos together with kids of courage for a most inspiring kabbolas shabbbos come one come all , all r invited to join this holy holy gathering!!!!!!

Mar 04, 2010 at 01:33 PM Anonymous Says:

Even in his personal life he displayed all the attributes of a gadol.

Mar 04, 2010 at 01:36 PM Anonymous Says:

Yehuda Green is a mensch and a frume yid who will keep the music alive for those who like it while putting to bed some of the excesses and ossur behavior of Shlomo and his groupies.

Mar 04, 2010 at 01:57 PM Anonymous Says:

this song yearning is great...beautiful.... have no words!!!!!

Mar 04, 2010 at 02:08 PM Anonymous Says:

no doubt - there will NEVER ever be another Shlomo ..you can not dublicate his originality in any way...R shlomo was pure neshamah and moach" no imitation of anyone else.. thus from within his inner soul!

Mar 04, 2010 at 02:08 PM Anonymous Says:

Go YEHUDA me and my sister are singing away at work .........

Mar 04, 2010 at 03:33 PM Anonymous Says:

Whoa there. Reb? Shlomo? Are u kiddin me. The man a great composer and had a siyata from somwhere in his music. But a talmid chochom. maybe he knew how to learn. He was no tzaddik.
Even Lipa has not gone as low as Shlomo Carlbach.
The man was an icon in music. and that's where it stops. I personally witnessed some things that he did in public which was purely and undoubtfully against Halacha.
That being said: I heard a great line from him. it goes somthing like this. "I know I'm going to gehenom for the things I did. but all I ask is for a little window to be able to see all the tzadikim that are in gan eden because of me."

Mar 04, 2010 at 03:44 PM IMHO Says:

Yehuda is a special man, not Shlomo but Shlomo wasnt him either. Read the piece that apeared in Mishpacha Magasine a few months ago about Yidl and youll see.

Mar 04, 2010 at 04:34 PM Carlbach-Green fan Says:

Yehuda is the undisputed leader of the carlebach movement and music, I sing every friday night his stunning 'nishmas' and It's really a song sung straight out of ones heart.

Mar 04, 2010 at 05:36 PM Jabroges Says:

Not even close to Shlomo

Mar 04, 2010 at 06:08 PM Anonymous Says:

Even Lipa has not gone as low as Shlomo Carlbach.

regardless what you saw ...Shlomo was a higher level neshmah above all his ahavas yisrael and selflessness was beyond ours..and btw he did know how to learn.

Mar 04, 2010 at 06:48 PM Anonymous Says:

Yahuda is great, even he might not be shlomo, but still he`s got beautifull songs, cant denei he is the man!

Mar 04, 2010 at 08:03 PM killerfan Says:

Even Lipa has not gone as low as Shlomo Carlbach.

Very well said!!!

Mar 04, 2010 at 09:36 PM Bubbie Says:

Am I missing something? I can't hear the interview, the background music is too loud. Anyone else have this problem? Is it a setting in the sound?

Mar 04, 2010 at 10:00 PM esther Says:

oy vay! he was a great composer but let's not be blinded by charisma. i personally witnessed behavior that was not exactly gadol like. not because i want to speak loshon hara but because we have to have clarity on want is blatantly against halacha.

Mar 04, 2010 at 10:45 PM Shmoiger Says:

He sings very hartzig and nice, but as a music nut - I find his movement with the song extremely off beat and annoying. Watch how he sang moisheles nigun at the hasc concert. It just needs a little but polishing up in my opinion.

Mar 04, 2010 at 11:19 PM Shea Says:

The song he played on the video is exactly note for note a song Shlomo composed 40 years ago.".Niskatnu Hadoros"!

Mar 05, 2010 at 12:57 AM shlomo mavin Says:

i have news for evrybody yehuda did not know reb shlomo never sang with him maybe he listen to reb shlomo music but i dont think he ever saw him he is no where near reb shlomo i want to see one picture with him and reb shlomo, i dont think there is any

Mar 05, 2010 at 02:20 AM Anonymous Says:

yehuda a tayera yid sings well but vee kimt es tzi r'shlomo

Mar 05, 2010 at 03:53 AM Anonymous Says:

Shea Says:

Reb shlomo actually sang the song, just like yhuda sings it, but its a rear recording, i have it and prob if u search hard u will find it, the only difference, Sholmo uses the word "Lord" and yhuda says "hasehm" i can't wait.....

Mar 05, 2010 at 09:38 AM brooklyn mom Says:

Even Lipa has not gone as low as Shlomo Carlbach.

I had the privilege of knowing R'Shlomo for many years and we were very close to him. We were at his wedding in Terrace on the Park including being among the invitees at the Seuda itself. I grew up going to a Bais Yaakov out of town & so I didn't need R'Shlomo to make me frum--but I so enjoyed his soul--his neshama because everything that he did, he did because he loved his fellow Jews (& his fellow humans for that matter) with every fiber of his being. Yes I will say that there were things that he should not have done, but I understand why. The youth of the 70's & 80's were drugged out & spaced out & didn't know where to go. Shlomo taught them to get high on Hashem and music. I have met so many of this Baalie Teshuva over the many years that I knew him--some of whom actually became Chassidish & wear shtreimlech & the women wear turbans. How many people did Shlomo turn away from Yiddishkeit? I have a better question--How many yeshivas turned off our youth to Yiddishkeit . If you are honest, you will be able to answer these questions. Gut Shabbos.

Mar 05, 2010 at 12:50 PM Alan Says:

Reb Shlomo's every song was prayer: He taught a lot of Jews to pray and brought back a lot from the edge of the abyss. Now it is others who have to sing his songs. More power to them.

Mar 11, 2010 at 01:33 AM Anonymous Says:

Yehuda Green is truly fantastic !! But he must, really must always remember to stay ehrlich all the time every where with every one and not forget that he is only a singer and a performer and not a self proclaimed prophet as some singers get lost with their talents and forget their place.