Annapolis, MD - 2 Lawmakers Target of Anti-Semitic Flier for Their Gun Bill

Published on: March 13, 2010 09:04 PM
By: AP /  Baltimore Sun

Annapolis, MD - Two Maryland lawmakers are the target of a flier that calls them “bagel brain Jews” for supporting tougher firearms legislation.

The flier depicts Sen. Brian E. Frosh and Del. Samuel I. Rosenberg. They are the Maryland Senate and House sponsors of a bill to tighten firearm ownership and sales requirements. The flier’s headline says: “Bagel Brain Jews Want Your Bullets and Your Guns.”

A group called Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership produced the flier. The group’s executive director, Aaron Zelman of Wisconsin, says his group put it on the Internet but denied mailing it to Frosh and others. He says his group will attack officials who support gun control legislation but especially Jewish politicians who he said should “wake up” and “learn from history.”

Washington - Speaker Nancy Pelosi mobilized House Democrats on Friday for a final effort to pass an overhaul of health care, predicting approval in the next 10 days with... New York, NY - City officials have discovered a widespread scam in which thousands of taxi drivers overcharged passengers by more than $8.3 million. The Taxi and...

Mar 13, 2010 at 09:20 PM Elchonon Says:

Anti semitec ? I tell a joke of a old jew that comes from a europe shtetel "de alte heim" rosh hashana comes and he goes to shul but they wont let him in without a ticket.. so he screams "you dirty jew haters"

Mar 13, 2010 at 09:54 PM czyrankevic Says:

those guys are right i personally know several instances where life or prprty could have beenn saved plus grief keep up the pressure against these liberal idiots

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM Yudi M Says:

That's exactly what they are, that's actualy a very gentle way telling them how stupid they are! Jews, out of all the nations in the world should know & remember how important it is to be able to defend yourself.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:10 PM Anonymous Says:

I live in CT, and i am licenced to carry a gun, I am a frum jew who goes to mikva every day, and davens with a minyan, and gives a gemora shuir. I took the gun safety corse, and legaly filled out the paperwork and got the permit to carry.

I think it is vitally important for all jews to know gun saftey and know how to shoot. Not only is it not against halacha, i would encourage all members of all communities know how to deffend yourselfs and your family, and not rely on the goermnert to protect you. Get a legal gun, and when the time calls for it ,be ready, dont just walk to the alter to get slaughtered.

to get started visit . www.nra.org

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM bigwheeel Says:

czyrankevic Says:

Yes. attack them (ideologically) as Liberals. But not as Jews. Where does their ethnicity come into play here. I'm afraid that the group from Wisconsin and their leader didn't learn anything from history!!!

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:46 PM Anonymous Says:

I have no interest in buying or carrying a gun and i hope i dont have to live in one of your G-dless neighborhoods where peopel think they need a gun.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:49 PM Milhouse Says:

bigwheeel Says:

How can it be anti-semitic? The flier was made by a Jewish group, directed at their fellow Jews, telling them not to be so stupid. The right to be armed is particularly relevant to Jews, because we need it for self-defense. The reason the Nazis y"sh were able to do what they did was because they first disarmed everyone; if the yidden had been armed they would have been able to defend themselves. So when Jewish legislators work to suppress gun rights, as these two bagel-heads did, it's appropriate for Jews to criticise them.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:58 PM Elchonon Says:

No worries, stay in new york and get butcherd in the street.. but here its 11pm and i'm going to bike to wall-mart with my handgun in my backpack and all cozy

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:32 AM Charlie Hall Says:

Elchonon Says:

NYC is the safest large city in the US. I live in the Bronx and there is no street I would not walk down, day or night. And a lot of. Folks think our draconian gun laws are a major reason for this.

Mar 14, 2010 at 03:22 AM elchonon Says:

Charlie,
You live in riverdale? Go walk in brooklyn at night. People are killed hourly in new york

Mar 14, 2010 at 08:31 AM Fed Says:

I wouldn't walk down a Brooklyn street in the dark without carrying a loaded gun. I don't know which part of the Bronx you live in but my co-workers don't venture further than the subway station and the side-walk of the Federal building where they work in the Bronx because the area is so dangerous.

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM Charlie Hall Says:

elchonon Says:

Charlie,

No, on average there is slightly more than one killing each *day* in NYC. Not one per hour.

I'm not familiar with Brooklyn. I'm very familiar with the Bronx because I've lived here since 2001 and my wife has practiced medicine in some of the supposedly bad neighborhoods, and has even had to walk as long a five and a half miles on Friday night when she was stuck in clinic Friday afternoon taking care of seriously ill patients. There is a lot of property crime here -- my car was just broken into this past Shabat -- but little violent crime.

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:41 PM Charlie Hall Says:

Milhouse Says:

The Nazis were able to do what they did because every political party other than the Social Democrats voted unanimously to give them dictatorial powers in 1933.

Mar 14, 2010 at 07:03 PM Anonymous Says:

Charlie Hall Says:

There is a difference between their political ascendancy and the ability to protect your family from despots.

The guns used in the Warschau Ghetto were mostly privately owned.

Mar 15, 2010 at 01:08 AM Speak 4 U Says:

You have no interest, I do! I hope you never move to my neighborhood stay in NYC where only the criminals have guns if that's what makes you happy.

Mar 15, 2010 at 02:03 AM PMO Says:

What was said was in very poor taste, and frankly they made a point to bring out their "Jewishness".

As a proud gun owner, I find this behavior disgusting. There are very valid arguments to be made about gun control on both sides, and we should never be afraid to examine them.

Personally, I own several firearms and believe in my 100% right to own them and use them if I feel it necessary. Nobody has a right to tell me I can't protect my home. However, while I usually disagree with them, I never shy away from at least hearing the logical arguments on this.

Mar 15, 2010 at 01:20 PM murray Says:

PMO Says:

The arguments for restriction of gun rights of law abiding , trained citizens has no "logic", their "side" is based 100% on emotional arguments, such as pointing out that a relative was shot, etc, or mis-guided assumptions that criminals obey and comply with "gun free zones". The FBI reported that over a million times a year armed citizens have prevented a crime. Statistics show that an "armed populace", is far safer, than the alternative , where the criminals have a monoply on gun ownership.
Following on the original story line (Bagel Brains)- How do they expect people there to defend themselves................by throwing stale bagels?