Brooklyn, NY - VIN Exclusive: Behind The Scenes At Artscroll [video]

Published on: March 17, 2010 03:02 PM
Rabbi Nosson Scherman, general editor of Artscroll,talks to VIN News about the many Pesach Hagadah's availableRabbi Nosson Scherman, general editor of Artscroll,talks to VIN News about the many Pesach Hagadah’s available

Brooklyn, NY - Is there a Jewish home today that does not own at least one Artscroll book?  Artscroll single handedly revolutionized the Jewish book business with the publication of their first book, Megillas Esther, in 1976.  Today they are a household name and their most recent catalog features over 1500 books.  For Pesach alone, Artscroll offers a full selection of Seder accessories and over 64 titles, including Machzorim, Haggadas, and an assortment of Pesach books and seforim.

With Pesach rapidly approaching, Artscroll granted an exclusive video interview to VIN News, conducted by Yosef Shidler of CJ studios  offering a rare glimpse inside the powerhouse of Jewish publishing.
Their offices in Brooklyn, New York house not only their staff, but is where their books are assembled as well.  While most of us are familiar with the maroon, gold stamped Artscroll Gemaras, it takes many painstaking steps to produce each volume.  Every gemara is actually comprised of numerous small booklets that are collated and sewn together before being bound in those distinctive covers, which are gold stamped and gilded on site.  Of course, hours of work go into every book before it can be assembled.  Each manuscript must be edited, often involving research and potential rewriting.  Books are then proofread and checked for spelling and grammar mistakes.  Every page has to be typeset and laid out so that commentary and text appear on the same page.  Countless hours go into each and every volume, making each book a true labor of love.

Rabbi Nosson Scherman, general editor of Artscroll, explains that the name Artscroll came from the desire to produce books that are visually appealing, instead of looking like they were printed in someone’s basement.  While clearly it is the content of the book that is the main focus at Artscroll, R’ Scherman explains that the visuals are very important, particularly in the United States where people really do judge a book by its cover.
After the publication of Megillas Esther in 1976, it became apparent that Artscroll was something that was absolutely vital to American Jewry.  R’ Scherman, who was the principal at the Stoliner Yeshiva, was urged by R’ Moshe Feinstein and R’ Mordechai Gifter to give up his day job and devote himself to Artscroll full time, along with co-author R’ Meir Zlotowitz.  While many American born men and women were products of yeshivos and Bais Yaakovs, once they moved on in life, learning on their own proved too difficult and many gave it up entirely.  Artscroll was a way to make learning attainable to the general public.  Artscroll publications were accessible, understandable and attractive produced, always l’chvod shomayim.
While some have accused Artscroll of making learning too easy, R’ Scherman disagrees, saying Artscroll seforim are meant as study aids, used to complement the actual seforim.  They should be used to resolve difficulties in the original text, or as a way to make learning fit into a busy schedule when time constraints don’t permit reviewing the complete text and commentary inside the actual sefer.  R’ Scherman smiles as he explains that even R’ Elyashiv finds it helpful to go through the Hebrew comments in an Artscroll gemara, adding “If it’s okay for R’Elyashiv,  it’s okay for me and you.”

One of the many Hagdah's by ArtscrollOne of the many Hagdah's by Artscroll

With Pesach just around the corner, Artscroll offers over 40 Haggadas and R’ Scherman displays nine different haggadas, pointing out the different nuances in each one.  The Family Haggada alone has sold over hundreds of thousands of copies.  Artscroll’s latest release is the full commentary of the Ramban on the Chumash, a seven volume set which is slated to be released on March 18th.  Work has just started on Artscroll’s latest project, Medrash Raba on Chumash, which R’ Scherman anticipates being a 15 volume set.

Watch below clips of the fascinating interview

Meeting Rabbi Nosson Sherman & Artscroll History:

Pesach Hagadahs review with Rabbi Sherman:

Below photos of a tour at the plant

Jerusalem - The Knesset on Wednesday voted into force an ordinance, first revealed by Ynet in February, which sets tax rates on non-kosher types of meat that are already... Albany, NY - The proposals to permit the sale of wine in grocery stores and hike the tax on cigarettes to help resolve the state's 2010-11 budget deficit of more than $9...

Mar 17, 2010 at 03:20 PM Anonymous Says:

Artscroll actually was around before 1976.

They printed invitations and benchers, etc - for simchas. Their name "ArtScroll" was pertaining to their graphics, design and type-layout of their invitation business.
They also printed other (not original) works.

Their first ORIGINAL book (which they authored themselves and printed) was the Megillas Esther.

Mar 17, 2010 at 03:46 PM Anonymous Says:

kehot by chabad was the first to translate seforim to english.

Mar 17, 2010 at 03:52 PM Anonymous Says:

I wonder if tours are open to the public, anyone know?

Mar 17, 2010 at 04:15 PM Anonymous Says:

can someone tell me when the Hebrew Shas will be complete
and if artscroll is planing to to reprint in large format..? I can't wait to replace it with my חתן ש"ס

Mar 17, 2010 at 04:23 PM Anonymous Says:

Artscroll actually was around before 1976.

They also printed other (not original) works.

Wrong - Artsroll printing is still in business in NYC on 25th Street - Not the same people

Mar 17, 2010 at 04:37 PM Askupeh Says:

An Artscroll Gemorah is a real delight which cannot be expressed in words. I just can’t wait for Artscroll's Medrash Raba on Chumash to come out. To wet some people’s appetite for it, let me tell you that Medrash contains the heart and soul of Judaism, Learning Medrash gives you a very deep feeling and understanding of the Mesorah. Medrash is the Mesorah that was passed on Ish Mepi Ish, so it should be fitting that Artscroll/Mesorah should publish it.

It is brought down (don't remember where) that learning Medrash strengthens the Emunah. Ani Hakoton can testify to it. Lately the popular flier called "Alim Letrufah" published by Belz every week and distributed in Shuls started giving a few tidbits of the current Sedrah's Medrash. To them I say, you are a part of my Oneg Shabbos.

Mar 17, 2010 at 04:40 PM Anonymous Says:

They need to come out with translations of Rashi, Tosafos, Rishonim, Acharonim and Poskim. If they were to translate all the sefarim in the Bar Ilan CD, than we would truly see kedusha increase in our world and in our kehillas.

Mar 17, 2010 at 04:57 PM Anonymous Says:

can someone tell me when the Hebrew Shas will be complete

Yakov Gifter is a very fine person but he was under Bar Mitzvah in 1976. Perhaps you meant his grandfather, HaRav Mordechai Gifter, Telzer Rosh Yeshiva.

Mar 17, 2010 at 05:05 PM Anonymous Says:

Same company, same founder/owner. R' Zlotowitz did printing first, and later did books. Whether the original printing business is still open, and is now run by other people - could be.

Mar 17, 2010 at 05:07 PM Kim Says:

I have a feeling that the concept of artscrol ie. bringing Torah to ppl instead of bringing ppl to Torah caused this plague of women studying Torah...

Mar 17, 2010 at 05:19 PM Anonymous Says:

I wonder if tours are open to the public, anyone know?

I was there once for a tour.

Mar 17, 2010 at 05:20 PM DryCast.com Says:

I wish there was an Artscroll Tosefos - I believe that too many of us are struggling on a Tosefos - and what a world would be opened up with that.

Mar 17, 2010 at 05:21 PM Anonymous Says:

kehot by chabad was the first to translate seforim to english.

Does everything have to be about Chabad? This is an article about ArtScroll.

Mar 17, 2010 at 05:35 PM Anonymous Says:

How would you compare Artscroll Vs. Mesivta? I'm curious to hear what people think on this subject

Mar 17, 2010 at 06:17 PM Anonymous Says:

The ArtScroll Revolution: 5TJT Interviews Rabbi Nosson Scherman
Thursday December 3, 2009 1:07 PM - 8 Comments

6. Comment from Monsey Yid
Time December 3, 2009 at 6:32 PM

In his childhood,Rabbi Scherman drew much inspiration from Rabbi Sholom Ber Gordon who was the Lubavitcher Rebbe’s Shaliach/Rov in Newark NJ

Mar 17, 2010 at 06:19 PM Anonymous Says:

I always thought that there was a Rabbi Art Scroll.

Mar 17, 2010 at 06:42 PM Male Nurse Says:

Ever since i left B M to go to University and then get a job it has been hard to find alot of time to learn. But thanks to Artscroll I believe i learned alot of Torah and have strenghtend my Emunah in Hashem and try to behave like a good and proper jew. My fav Artscroll Safer is Perkei Avoth. A Job well done.

Keep it up. I am so looking forward to the Medrash Rabba

Mar 17, 2010 at 06:43 PM Anonymous Says:

DryCast.com Says:

I suspect you are the only VIN reader with extra time on his hands to worry about learning Tosefos with an ArtScroll version when there are so many more significant meforshim to study that are much more accessible to the average yid.

Mar 17, 2010 at 07:39 PM ikey Says:

seriously y cant artscroll make cd roms

Mar 17, 2010 at 09:44 PM shimon Says:

They can resist it for a while but the future belongs to e-readers (of course not as the only option). Imagine the whole Shas (and everyhing else) on your Kindle...

Mar 17, 2010 at 09:54 PM Anonymous Says:

DryCast.com Says:

to num 14 - if it helps there are 2 seforim one called sharey tosafos and one called may menuchos that that go through the q and a of tosafos and really help enlighten your learning experience. they cover some perakim in shas, and though they're written in hebrew, they should definetly help. hatzlocho.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:44 PM S. Says:

kehot by chabad was the first to translate seforim to english.

>kehot by chabad was the first to translate seforim to english.

Soncino Press was translating seforim into English in the 1930s.

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:51 PM Ani HaKatan Says:

Who's the dude interviewing Rabbi Sherman?? "Will it be like The Little Midresh Says?" -- Beauty Question.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:00 AM closetbreslover Says:

I spoke to R Zlotowitz a few weeks ago. Artscroll is preparing to offer the shas in ebook format. The ipad and kindle are not yet ready to handle the hebrew typeset.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:15 AM Anonymous Says:

I guess I'm the only one who detests the Artscroll font, dim, thin and hard to read. Give me Shiloh siddur anytime which is what we used back in the day to learn to daven. Not to mention the huge typo in Shabbos mussaf in the schoolchildren's edition, which appeared in at least two printings before they caught the mistake.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:00 AM please Says:

im being more entertained at hearing the interviewer botch this up as much as the whole interview

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:03 AM Anonymous Says:

Kim Says:

sarah shneierer was way before artscroll

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:04 AM Anonymous Says:

Kim Says:

the random house steinzalts gemara is better than astscroll

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:28 AM Anonymous Says:

I met Rav Sherman about twenty years ago in his Shul on Shabbos where I was visiting friends after learning in Eretz Yisroel. I was sitting across from him and when we were eating after davening and he introduced himself to me I kept repeating "Nosson Sherman !!!" several times in a row embarassing him. He didn't realize how much learning his Seforim meant to me in Yeshivah !!! Artscroll Seforim taught me as much as my my Rebbeim -- even more, mochel me Rebbeim. Today, I learn Artscroll Gemara with such cheshek I cannot thank them enough. I would love to learn selected Artscroll translations of chashuv meforshim. The commenter above who would enjoy a translation and commentary on Tosofos is correct. It would teach us so much. American Yiddin are handicapped in our learning. We truely benefit from learning the Artscroll derech. I cannot thank Rav Sherman and all the contributors and sponsors enough. Shefah bruchos to them all.

Mar 18, 2010 at 04:23 PM Kim Says:

sarah shneierer was way before artscroll

I'm refering to Torah she bal pe

Mar 18, 2010 at 04:37 PM Askupeh Says:

Artscroll is not only about Sedurim but about Shas and Meforshim. I really wonder what you detest. So you caught them on a mistake, does that nullify their humongous achievement. I think that you are nit picking.

You remind me that when the Vilna Shas Gemoress were completed in about 1883, the Romm children who published it thought that they did a perfect job, so they announced that they will give a silver Rubel for every mistake someone can find. In very short order they had to take back their announcement as it would have bankrupted them; that’s how many mistakes were found.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:01 PM Anonymous Says:

Askupeh Says:

Simply put I detest the Artscroll font. It's nitpicking to leave out a word in shmona esray?

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM Anonymous Says: