Brooklyn, NY - So Who Has The Best Matzoh In Willimasburg?

Published on: March 24, 2010 03:35 PM
File photo by JoeflixFile photo by Joeflix

Brooklyn, NY - Shmura matzohs may look the same but they don’t taste the same. Each major Hasidic sect in Williamsburg has its own matzoh bakery and each bakery zealously guards its methods and its recipe. But which factory produces the tastiest shmura (if those words aren’t themselves a contradiction in terms)? We put our stomachs (and bowels) on the line for our first-ever Shmura Matzoh Smackdown.

Read full story at The Brooklyn Paper

Montreal, Canada - A Montreal hockey league says it can't reschedule a playoff game that a West Island midget team says it will be forced to forfeit because of... Washington - House Democratic and Republican leaders have conferred to discuss a response to a "significant" number of threats against lawmakers. House Majority...

Mar 24, 2010 at 03:43 PM Richard Says:

And when did you test the taste?

Mar 24, 2010 at 03:45 PM satmartalmud Says:

In 'hider mitzva' is satmar reb aron the top!!!!

Happy peisech for everybody!!!

Mar 24, 2010 at 03:50 PM Anonymous Says:

על טעם וריח אין להתווכח"

Mar 24, 2010 at 03:51 PM Anonymous Says:

So the ARIZONA wheat wins ?

Mar 24, 2010 at 03:51 PM Anonymous Says:

Pupa Tzehlem has been the BEST for the past 50 years.....................................

Mar 24, 2010 at 03:53 PM Dav Says:

Overall comment: Crispy and thin. That’s right! Prices are all the same as long its MHADOUR that’s what count , we love these Matzoh’s from the new Satmar Matzoh Bakery on Rutledge Street.

Mar 24, 2010 at 03:53 PM Anonymous Says:

Regarding Zalmanite matzoh, the article says the matzoh was so dense that: "some tasters could not differentiate the product from the box that contained it".

Why are we not surprised regarding the source of this gourmet treat

Mar 24, 2010 at 03:55 PM Anonymous Says:

what about shatz?

Mar 24, 2010 at 03:55 PM Anonymous Says:

So the matzos of the Aaronites are better then the Zalmonites ! wow finally the truth is coming out.....

Mar 24, 2010 at 03:57 PM Anonymous Says:

Pupa also started using Arizona wheat instead of the local long Island wheat

Mar 24, 2010 at 03:57 PM A willamsburg residents Says:

Don't know why you say so .....we all know for yers that the satmer bakery on broadway yes delicious !!!!! Motzah !!!!!

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:00 PM 101 Says:

Shatzer is the best by far!!!

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:01 PM Anonymous Says:

i used to buy Satmar (Broadway) for years, one year I got a few pounds of Pupa-Tzelem, my comment is, The Satmar was much better in taste, I think the pupa was tasteless.. but the Pupa was thinner than the Satmar.

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:03 PM Matzos Says:

My kids always bring their own matzos, and I have the opportunity to taste all kinds of matzos, bottom line, everyone has a different taste, while I love the satmer (old bakery) matzos, my wife insists on eating Boro park matzos..

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:06 PM Definately Pupa Tzelim Says:

I've been eating Pupa Tzeilm since I was 5. There is no doubt they blow everyone else off the Seder Table

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:09 PM Kosher lover Says:

For years we have been eating satmar shmura matzo (broadway bakery), last year i realized 2 days before yom tov that we're short on matzo, I took a ride to satmar, when they told me they're sold out, I was directed by a grocery clerk to the new satmar bakery on rutledge st. I bought a couple of boxes, I just did not like the taste of it, it had some sort of interesting taste, can't explain it. How ever, my kids ate it no problem and had no complaints.

This year i went right after Purim to the old bakery to make sure I get what I want..

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:12 PM Poshut Says:

It's a no-brainer, everyone knows that Pupe Matzos are the best.

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:12 PM Anonymous Says:

thick like a talmud? this writer probably never saw a talmud..

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:05 PM Hant Matze Says:

I see you picked in first place my best choice. Kerestirer matzah beats em all. Hands down!

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:14 PM Willi guy Says:

Satmar Broadway matzo bakery happens to sell more matzos than all others combined.

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:15 PM Anonymous Says:

I'm a vienar member I eat till now pupa tzahlim it is thin but doesn't taste the bast lately I realized that satmer bakery (zalis) isn't thin atall but the taste is something special so I start to buy both for the kzysim I'm using popa tzhalim because its ez to swallow but around the yom tov I'm eating satmer matzos the rosanbers are managing there and the have a good recipe and experience from almost 50 years or more

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:17 PM Satmar matzo Says:

I hardly eat any matzo other than Satmar (zalmanites), and all I can tell you, it's crispy, thin, tasty and just awesome!!

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:19 PM Anonymous Says:

How can somone say such narishkiet for one all mazeh recepis are the same unless they are not kosher secondly mhecheh tesey that just couse u like a particuler matzah evryone else will as well and why just willi why not all bakeries so I must conclude this was a paid artical otherwise it dosent taste right pun intended

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:34 PM Cynic Says:

Silliest review ever (guess I must be a Zalmanite). Who were the judges?

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:41 PM Anonymous Says:

I have tasted many matzos from all bakeries, I stick to Satmar Zalmanites and Pupa Tzelem!! They're both delicious!

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:42 PM Anonymous Says:

these tasters, there tommys are full of chessburgers they dont know what they talk about and dont know what a good matza is.

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:43 PM Velvel Says:

I think Shatzer Matzah has the best taste.

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:49 PM Yanky Says:

Satmar on broadway is the best, and thats why they start to bake every year before any other bakery , this year they started alredy rosh chodesh chesbun, also in chimras and hidurim they are top rated, 100's of chaburas choose this bakery to bake there matzos at satmar on broadwy, if you to see what a system means just take a look whats going on there erev pesach, a minute after chatzos people from wiily, boro park, flatbush and all over the city are comming to pick up fresh kosher matzos with the help of askunim ther is no lines to wait everything goes very fast, they dont take cash at bakery you have to buy one in the satmara shuls in the days before pesach they give you a card when your matzos wiill be ready ,starting from 1 till 6 (depends on age the older you are the earlier you get) the price for 6 matzos is $65 for a member in the satmara kehila its $55,,,,,a kosheren pesach!!

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:49 PM Anonymous Says:

May I guess that the author of this article has an agenda?

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:03 PM Anonymous Says:

I've tried a lot of bakeries, I landed back in Satmar (Zaloinim) the only place where I find all chumrahs and the taste and texture of the matzos are magnificent.

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:07 PM Anonymous Says:

I've eaten pupa for the past few yrs and its gr8 matzah. However the montreal matzahs puts everyone else away by far, better tasting more mehudar.

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:14 PM Anonymous Says:

Somehow Satmar -Broadway is still outstanding, and thousands of people from all over the USA prefer to eat only Satmar matzos.

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:19 PM Listen here... Says:

Been buying Chareidim for years. Great taste, crispy, and extremely thin (but tough on keeping "shleimim"). Pupa is slightly thicker and very good - especially their "razaver" (which means whole wheat). But the best razaver by far is from the Boro Park bakery. This year I bought some matzos from Komemiyus (Israel) - very very good, but expensive - but really mehudar.
Bottom line - enjoy whatever you eat, and have a Chag kosher v'Sameach

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:22 PM Anonymous Says:

there is three kinds of wheat, winter ,summer , and others i dont know all names and every year it tastes differntly so they mix it so depndes if you know how to mix.....thicker matozs your kids wont eat so much so you can save some money on that one

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:23 PM Anonymous Says:

"the only place where I find all chumrahs" is the Zalman satmer bakery

What "chumrahs" are you talking about. Shmurah matzoh is shmurah matzoh...the only difference is in the ingredients and how carefully the dough is handled.

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:28 PM Anonymous Says:

satmartalmud Says:

In 'hider mitzva' is satmar reb aron the top!!!!

Happy peisech for everybody!!!

Oh Yes! We're seeing this over and over again.

Of course, with the machines running at supersonic speeds. Only problem is that this supersonic speed which should run in the bakery runs in the shlacht-house.

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:40 PM tasteless Says:

Tastes like cardboard? I'd recommend Mr. Taster should get a new job, and order a set of new taste buds implanted quickly..

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:40 PM Anonymous Says:

Listen here... Says:

Bottom line - enjoy whatever you eat, and have a Chag kosher v'Sameach

What makes the Israeli matzoh more "mehudar" than regular shmurah from Pupa or Satmer?

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:41 PM Anonymous Says:

How is Arizona wheat "more kosher"? If so, how did the Jewish people manage before Columbus discovered America? This is a serious question.

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:43 PM Yankel Says:

I tasted from all bakeries and its true broadway satmar are usually thicker BUT in taste nobody is better, kerestire etc taste like ... air

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:49 PM Anonymous Says:

so the Aaronites won again !

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:56 PM tasteless Says:

Mar 24, 2010 at 06:02 PM Anonymous Says:

"the only place where I find all chumrahs" is the Zalman satmer bakery

Appears you've still go some learning to do.. There so many different chumras when baking matzos.

Mar 24, 2010 at 06:11 PM Anonymous Says:

Does the Pupa rebbe really require each of his chassidim to eat "20 lb of matzoh" during pesach or was this just a bit of editorial hyperbole??

Mar 24, 2010 at 06:48 PM Anonymous Says:

Pupa has the thinnest Satmar Zalis best tasting.

Mar 24, 2010 at 07:32 PM zurich Says:

did you ever happen to taste any 2 different company matzah?? Definitely sounds like you haven't- one is as unlike the other as can be- same recipe and all... have you ever tasted any dish made by 2 separate people- it will always taste different, even using the same recipe! Why do heimishe pple always think everything is "intergeshtelt"? can't a simple taste test just be what it is - a test!

Mar 24, 2010 at 07:48 PM Anonymous Says:

For those of us outside ny where can we get the Pupa Tzeilim matzas?

Mar 24, 2010 at 08:20 PM CHezky Says:

i think the guy that made this article should retastse the matzos again SATMAR BROADWAY IS THE BEST ,,,THATS WHY THEY START BAKING ROSH CHODESH CHESHBON!!!!

Mar 24, 2010 at 08:46 PM chasid Says:

Al taam vereiach ein misvakeiach, what a stupid arguement!

Mar 24, 2010 at 09:28 PM Use Your Head Says:

The irony here is overwhelming - the whole point of matzah on Pesach is for it to be lechom oni - poor, simple bread. It's not supposed to be a gourmet delicacy!

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM Anonymous Says:

If they would've included Boro Park in the taste test then Chareidim matzoh would have won...hands down. It's the thinnest and best tasting matzoh I've ever had. Shkoyach to everyone who works at the Chareidim matzoh factory!

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:26 AM mesader kidishin Says:

al taam v'reiach ein l'hisvakeiach. personally I like the zalmonite matzoh better.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:36 AM Anonymous Says:

Like most people I use only shmura hand matza, but to tell you the emes, I think al pi halacha 18 minute machine made shmura matza has less chance of being chomets.

Mar 25, 2010 at 07:53 AM Anonymous Says:

what about shatz?

I guess shatz is not even on the list of being a competition. My father use to buy there matzoh its very thick so now he buys ion pupa tzehlim it is very good

Mar 25, 2010 at 08:06 AM Anonymous Says:

I really don't understand this argument matzoh always taste the same it has no taste

Mar 25, 2010 at 09:34 AM Anonymous Says:

My Rebbi was known to say "if you want to make sure you eat chometz on Pesach, eat only hand shmurah."
Ask anybody involved, the machine shmurah matza is much less likely to be chametz