Florida - For Passover Mass Exodus from NY, Israel to Miami Beach

Published on: March 29, 2010 08:02 AM

Miami Beach, FL - As a child, Jeffrey Grodko dreaded Passover. With its Seder dinners, no-grains diet—his family ate lots of meat and potatoes—and restrictions on car and electricity use for four of its eight days, it was ``a lot of being bored.’‘

Now 43, the Orthodox Jewish father of two from Brooklyn can’t wait for the holiday, which begins tonight and marks the ancient Israelites’ exodus from Egypt.

To observe it, he’s embarking on another kind of exodus: a luxury Passover at the Fontainebleau Resort in Miami Beach.

The Fontainebleau is one of at least eight local hotels offering Passover packages, making South Florida the country’s biggest Passover destination.

Thousands of Jews from New York to Israel will be in South Florida this week to celebrate Passover a way their grandparents probably never imagined: sipping kosher cocktails after poolside barbecues, or eating gourmet sushi lunches and elaborate dinners where options include tangerine caramelized duck and veal Milanese—made with no grains.

Hotels offering Passover packages include the Biltmore in Coral Gables, which is completely booked for 600 Passover guests; the Hyatt Regency Bonaventure in Weston, which will host 1,000 Passover vacationers; the Doral Golf Resort and Spa; and the Fairmont Turnberry Isle Resort in Aventura. A Passover cruise departs from Port Everglades and, for those on a tighter budget, South Floridians are renting out kosher apartments.

Make no mistake: faith is central to the Passover vacation experience. Hotel kitchens have been made kosher, temporary ``resident rabbis’’ have been flown in and Judaism scholars will offer nightly talks.

``We can have Passover without the hassle. It’s a relief to me and to my wife,’’ says Grodko, who has spent the holiday at South Florida hotels for 18 years. It’s a stark contrast to his childhood, when Passover meant meticulous house-cleaning, switching out dishes and silverware and preparing food for extended family visiting for Seders.

At the Fontainebleau where he’s staying, rates for the duration of the holiday begin at $3,400 for eight days and nights. Rates are similar at other hotels and top suites have been booked for up to $24,000.

While the economy has affected the Passover travel industry—insiders say the number of hotels offering packages has slightly decreased in the last decade—every South Florida hotel offering a kosher experience this year has been booked for weeks. According to Totally Jewish Travel, a vacation listings website for observant Jews, 120 hotels will offer Passover packages across five continents this year.

Sam Lasko, president of Davie-based Lasko Tours, will host 3,000 people between the Eden Roc, Fontainebleau and Hyatt Regency Bonaventure. ``We bring in 15 tractor-trailers full of food. We make desserts, paninis, waffles, foods not traditionally kosher for Passover,’’ Lasko says.

For weeks, 30 rabbis have worked around the clock to bring Lasko’s hotels in line with kosher standards, from using blow torches on kitchen appliances and pouring boiling water over them to making sure all grains, including bread crumbs, have been removed from the premises.

During Passover, Jews eat cracker-like matzoh instead of bread in remembrance of the Israelites, who left Egypt so quickly they had no time to let their dough rise. Ritual Seders, with foods representing a symbolic re-telling of the exodus, are central to Passover.

New York - Sick of cleaning all day? Now do it all week. Then do it all year. Then do it for 210 years. As the time of our cheirus approaches (and our precious kids... Jerusalem - Nearly one out of every two Israelis thinks the country's international standing is poor following Israel's most serious crisis with the United States in...

Mar 29, 2010 at 08:16 AM Anonymous Says:

this is what pesach has become? "sipping kosher cocktails at poolside barbecues?" "gourmet sushi?" these people are missing the point entirely.

Mar 29, 2010 at 08:20 AM Anonymous Says:

Sad

Mar 29, 2010 at 08:28 AM Anonymous Says:

Pesach is all about family in the home. The korban started as an act carried out by a family with their neighbors then it transformed into a journey to Yerushalayim not a vacation. Does this make for a more meaningful holiday?

Mar 29, 2010 at 08:33 AM Anonymous Says:

Is it just me, or does it seem like the Yidden blow all their money on Yom Tov and put nothing aside for a rainy day? Is saving for retirement not a Jewish value anymore?

Mar 29, 2010 at 08:37 AM 5Towns lawyer Says:

This is fantastic news. Years ago unserer couldnt avail ourselves of luxus. Today, our fellow yiden have the wherewithall to spend on important regilous observance. MY neighbors rejoice in there.

Mar 29, 2010 at 08:48 AM Florida fan Says:

Just came home from Miami and wish I could afford to stay for Passover!

Mar 29, 2010 at 08:51 AM Anonymous Says:

why is it that yidden need to criticize. Who cares, you stay home and let him enjoy. He didnt ask you to pay for it.
Worry about your self.

Mar 29, 2010 at 08:54 AM Sour Grapes! #'s 1 2 3 &4 Says:

As usual the naysayers step up to tell it like they want. Things were traditionally done, mostly because Jews have never had the economic wherewithal to spend like this, not because this is some mystical "point" to be missed. As long as things are done K'Halacha, and people have a meaningful Seder, reliving Yetzias Mizraim, than it makes no difference if you do it in your house or else where. Sounds as if none of you can afford it and as usual yuo are knocking those who can. I can afford it and save for retirement and I go to a hotel that is filled with Ruchnius (not like lasko) but it is still a 5 star resort with all the trimmings. A meaningful yetzias mizraim and tuime with family is still had, I am goiong with all my cousins and parents and uncles and aunts a total of 35 people, something we probably couldn't have done in our tiny (yet unfortunately expensive Brooklyn Homes) we would have been piled on top of one another.

Mar 29, 2010 at 09:01 AM power up Says:

If there is one time you do as you fathers did, its on passach, going to hotels is not the end of the world, but what will the next generation do???

Mar 29, 2010 at 09:15 AM Anonymous Says:

not everyone is going to miami in a hotel there is thousands of families like me who come here make there house pessechdig (just pessech cleaning without having to clean all the thousands of stuff that is in the all year around house) and then cook their own hemisha food.

Mar 29, 2010 at 09:32 AM Anonymous Says:

You got it wrong. This is REAL cheirus!!! Why did chazal say someone else should pour your wine? Because its cheirus, now imagine being served all 8 days? No better way of cheirus! - I am not in FL for pesach, but another way to look at it without being negative.

Mar 29, 2010 at 09:27 AM Anonymous Says:

This is so sad.

Parents: Make the Seder a memorable one, so your children don't end up taking their families to expensive hotels for cocktails and sushi on the holy pesach.

My heart goes out to this family.

Mar 29, 2010 at 09:30 AM Yossi Says:

Zman Cheiriseini....Time of freedom..every one is free to do what he wishes....If he can afford the HOTEL go ahead and have a simches yom tov...If you enjoy your own home have a simches yom tov....main thing is where ever you are its zman simchuseini..be happy...and smile and say git yom tov to every jew u see...

Mar 29, 2010 at 09:41 AM Yossi Says:

You are very right but i know some people who are there in hotels for CHEIRUS and they cry they cant pay tuition....So with his cheirus he places the burden on the ones who stay home....Wake up and smell the COFFEE

Mar 29, 2010 at 09:42 AM Milhouse Says:

Don't forget that once Moshiach comes we will never spend Pesach at home again; we will all spend it at hotels and B&Bs; in Yerusholayim. So this is the real tradition :-)

Mar 29, 2010 at 09:49 AM Anonymous Says:

The purpose of our chairus is to be free from paroh so we can be avodim to hashem - not avodim to our taste buds.

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:04 AM Chaim Says:

Actually demonstrating cheirus is part of the chag

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM Anonymous Says:

someone who 'dreads' any mitzvah..cant be ortodox.i'll vouch he is MO or down...

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:08 AM Anonymous Says:

what your type is looking for is 'cheirus min hamitzvous'. what nerve to say chazel meant this kind of cheirus!!!!!

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:19 AM Anonymous Says:

I, for one, wish I could afford to go to one of these hotels for Pesach. I spent the last 2 weeks cleaning and shopping and cooking all the while working a full time job and taking care of 3 small children. My work doesn't stop when yom tov begins because I'll still be serving and cleaning up and cooking again tomorrow and then the whole thing repeats itself. Right now I'm exhausted and I'll barely be able to keep my eyes open for the seder. I'm taking a five minute break at the computer because if I lay down for a short rest I won't be able to get up and finish preparing for tonight. So tell me, is THIS the point?

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM Anonymous Says:

I feel your pain. I went away for a few years to miami beach for pesach and I would call that a real simchas tom tov. we unfortuntely can't afford to go away this year. and to all the naysayers here, you are either jeoulous or you have never experienced showing up at the seder like a real king or queen. now back to my cooking..........!

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM Anonymous Says:

a lot of the people that go are quite wealthy

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:42 AM Leah Says:

Your first aveira of this yom tov

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:43 AM Aharon Says:

Oh, only you can speak for chazal

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:44 AM Chaya Says:

Many of unzerer are at hotels

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:45 AM Anonymous Says:

its this attitude that the navi says 'moadayichem sonu nafshu' see meforshim..that the holy yamim toveim was used only for physical pleasures... 'lo notnu lohem shabbosos veyomim tovim ala lasok betorah uvemitzvos'..yes the halacha kreb yeshoah 'chetzlach lochem' but these type of yidden who 'dread' its kilo lachem. by the wat the 'lochem' has to also be leshem shomayim not like the 4th of july etc

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:54 AM Anonymous Says:

pretty soon people will be making a pesach seder on the moon ok not that far try
antartica , iam sure when mesiach comes all these people will go to miami instead of a'y

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:01 AM Anonymous Says:

Milhouse Says:

Actually only the men went up to Yerushalayim brought the korban then headed home for the seventh day.

BTW, love your pithy comments

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM Anonymous Says:

Pesach is the bind between generations of klal yisroel going back to yetzias mitzraim. "V'higadito l'bincho" is a mitzva that kept yidden together over 2,000 years of golus. Mickey mouse and cruises are not an environmetn to pass down a mesorah from har sinai, even if it is non-gebrokt, chassidishe shchita, separate pools, daf yomi, gr8 lectures, top frum singers, and all the other guilt removing lines they sell. A prominent litvishe rov told me that he thinks it is the biggest tzora klal yisroel has today that we removed the heimishe pesach and replacedwith goyishe waiters serving veal and potato starch buns and hamburger bbq's R"L.

For some people it is a necessity due to age, infirmities. For most people it is a waste of money. For half of $6800 per couple, I can bring 2 cleaning crews to clean your house, hire a professional cook to make you wonderful food, have a maid clean the house after the seder, and u will besurrounded by your family in your home welcoming eliyahu hanavi after benching instead of some entertainer.

For those at home, have a freilichen Pesach, and for those in these "glatt" hotels, have a (hopefully) kosher Pesach.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:04 AM CountYourBlessing Says:

Burech Hashem you are able to be home with your kinderlech for Yom Tov..I know of a few couples who are spending their Yom Tov in a hospital with a sick child r"l and know of a few women who would love to have 3 kinderlech at their seder but nebech dont have any kids..Let us all give shevach for hashem for what we have and we should be zoyche that all the yiddishe koyches every jewish women worked so hard the last few weeks would make a royshem in shemayim and we should be zoyche to celebrate imy"h in Yerushelayim Lshono Haboo...When you will finally sit at the seder with your own healthy kinderlech and hear them say the MaNishtanoo that will be your Sechar for all your hard labor...Enjoy your Yom Tov..

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:46 AM poster #20 Says:

CountYourBlessing Says:

Yes, I know I'm blessed for what I have, and I know there are people out there that have it considerably worse. Still, that doesn't make the work involved with Pesach any easier. (One shouldn't be chastised when one complains about a broken leg all because there is someone else who is dying of cancer. One is still allowed to complain because a broken leg is a hardship.)

I suspect foregoing all this hard work and going to a hotel in Miami Beach would allow me to enjoy hearing my children recite Ma Nishtana more than I will tonight when I'll be so tired that I may fall asleep the minute I sit at the seder table...Enjoy your Yom Tov as well.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM EverythingForYomTov Says:

While i might not be in Miami sitting in a Hotel for Passover i do give Thanks to hashem that i have my own home (mortgage paid up) and my children for yom tov and all my food and utility bills are paid up b"h......I never ever had the urge to go away for yom tov while i see so many hundreds of neighbors suffering poverty and see many kids NOT having new clothing for yom tov.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:56 AM Anonymous Says:

Leah Says:

Your first aveira of this yom tov

..and what is that?

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:09 PM Chedonist Says:

If the Sinai Hilton had been open for Pesach I bet the Nesiim and their families would have stayed there and had Balsamic Lorainge Marinated Lamb as a main course. But since it was not available at their time let us now enjoy Zman Chayrootano in the style and comfort they would have enjoyed.

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:12 PM Anonymous Says:

#8, sounds really nice, and your head is in the right place. enjoy the hotel experience, i would LOVE to try it once!

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:34 PM Anonymous Says:

B"H I have never had to leave home for Pesach. What a rachmanus on these people. All the money they have and all the money they spand hasn't bought them a decent place to make a seder and a nice family with whom they can share it. Mamash a nebach.

IY"H their situation will turn around this year and next year, if c"v we still aren't zocheh to bring a korbin pesach in Yerusholayim, at least they should have a nice family situation so they can enjoy a well deserved yom tov.

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:37 PM Babishka Says:

My brother-in-law is so obsessed with saving every penny that he spends nothing on himself and goes to strangers chasunahs dressed as a homeless guy in order to get a free meal, even though he is a millionaire. There is extremism in everything.

I am enjoying Yom Tov at home with my family, but I do not begrudge these other families their oneg Yom Tov. We should not be jealous of others, let everyone who is hungry come and eat!

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:39 PM hakoras hatov Says:

poster #20 Says:

hope your husband buys u some jewlery ( as is his obligation so it is brought down in halocha prior to shlosh regalim the husband is supposed to buy his woman a gift as a hakoras hatov
thanks to all the holy woman of klal yisroel for all the hard work they do.

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:49 PM Lasko Is A Smart Man Says:

He's bringing in 3000 people at around $4000 apiece. That's 12 million dollars. Assume half goes to expenses. $6,000,000 is a nice take.

Mar 29, 2010 at 01:39 PM j lenny Says:

Cleaning is something u do even if go away for Pesach cous chumitz represents the yetzer horah & getting rid of ur chometz is like getting rid of the yetzer horah. by the the way what happened to the mesora of zich nisht mishen ? if some1 is really sick or has some other condition they should ask a sheila if they r aloud 2 go away !

Mar 29, 2010 at 01:54 PM Anonymous Says:

j lenny Says:

those who go away for peasach,i'm sure, have a lot of other 'mesorah' to catch up with.

Mar 29, 2010 at 02:02 PM Rimner yid Says:

Oyi what happened to our zinusdik and pushet way of life. These yidden are ruining it all.

Mar 29, 2010 at 02:07 PM Barzilai Says:

Yes, indeed, it's always better to make the seder at home! Because who wants to miss the home-Pesach experience, so essential for chinuch? Ahh, how I love it! Stressing out so much before Pesach that the whole family dreads coming down in the morning shloshim yom kodem hachag. The wife collapsing in a chair every night at two a.m. Starting the seder and hour late because the table is not set, and then everyone seethes when chatzos comes before you've had a chance to properly do the seder and eat like mentchen. The husband and wife staring at each other with daggers, and the eidems and shnurs wondering how they got trapped in this dysfunctional family.

Those were the days, my friends. That's what precious memories are made of.

Mar 29, 2010 at 02:14 PM gronim Says:

Sad

yaps..

Mar 29, 2010 at 02:51 PM bucky Says:

If I had the money, would do it in a second. This "holiday" is crazy. By the tine you get to the chag, you are so resentful of all you are put through..crazy. BTW, the one who called this guy MO as a negative statement...guess what, poverty it NOT haimish! Just because you work for al iving and are not on welfare does NOT mean you are any less religious. Sheesh!

Mar 29, 2010 at 03:18 PM Anonymous Says:

what about all the rabbis that go

Mar 29, 2010 at 03:20 PM Anonymous Says:

I wish I was away at a hotel. I am so tired now, I can't move.

Mar 29, 2010 at 03:26 PM Anonymous Says:

My wife is still kvetching about Pesach after spending 10k on jewlery for herself for her hard work, 2k on a shaitel, 2-4k at Pomegrante for fancy plastic dishes and food. And all I hear is how hard she works. Feh.

Mar 29, 2010 at 03:28 PM Anonymous Says:

Know what irks me the most? The renowned speakers who are so highly regarded, they don't stay home for Pesach either. so what message are they sending?

Mar 29, 2010 at 09:09 PM esther Says:

i'm a morah in LA and my salary was cut by almost 10% this year. BH i have a job and i get paid on time which is not the situation in other moidos here.some are months behind in salary ,have closed or fired part of their staff. listen ,Hashem didn't test me (yet!)with ashirus but when He does AH i hope i'll know what to do with it,like investing in chinuch,and not blow it on 8 days of gluttony and narishkait.

Mar 29, 2010 at 09:21 PM envious Says:

#50....for that money, i could buy a house

Mar 31, 2010 at 08:55 AM Anonymous Says:

I hope these people are all paying full tuition. As far as leaving Israel for Miami - what an absolute shanda! Why would anyone leave their home in Israel to go to Chu"l, where they can't even take advantage of the extra day of chol hamoed? My haggadot all say "L'Shana Haba b'Yerushalayim," not Miami!

Mar 31, 2010 at 06:10 PM Anonymous Says:

Been to hotels and have had seder at home. NOTHING beats having a seder at home! I work very hard at cleaning and I have 5 kids and 3 jobs. My husband does not help with the cleaning, but he paid for a cleaning lady who came for several hours on two days the week before Pesach. We had a gorgeous seder that was at our pace in our private dining room (without the noise of a public dining room), food made the way we liked it, and the ability to choose our own Pesach activities. There is no place like home........

Mar 31, 2010 at 09:20 PM Baloney Says:

BALONEY! If every single mitzvah were easy to do and to look forward to, what would be the big deal about being a frum yid? Everyone looks forward to fasting? Nobody dreads certain mitzvos? Maybe you dont, but you are lying to yourself if you think that.... or that you have to be MO to dread something...

Mar 31, 2010 at 09:30 PM Lasko Fan Says:

Lasko Is A Smart Man Says:

Take it from someone who knows first hand - Lasko spends a lot more than half on expenses - which is why their programs are so amazing and they dont skimp on the details! And $4000 is just adults - with every adult, usually several kids pay much less than that. Lasko is recognized in Florida and beyond as a tremendous baal tzedakah - between the well known tzedakas , like Chai Lifeline, Kids for Courage, etc, and many individuals that they help, even after expenses, it doesnt all go to his pocket, but to help many many people in Florida and beyond.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:30 PM Anonymous Says:

Lasko Fan Says:

You mean he is just a gabbai tzedakah, using the hotel for pesach business to raise money and gives it all away to needy people? Wow, and I thought everyone was just in it for the big profits!

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:56 PM Anonymous Says:

They go away to keep up with the Jones'es. They,are miserable because the think of the expenses at all time . Then you eat until you platz and can't waot to see the doctor. Well,enjoy..

Apr 02, 2010 at 04:04 PM Anonymous Says:

Baloney Says:

my comment still stands, we're not talking about dreading 'something' we are talking about mitzvos deoireise that the riboni shel oilom gave us. one can say this or that is hard,buy we do it with simcha..but 'dread'ing ???

Apr 02, 2010 at 04:06 PM Anonymous Says:

bucky Says:

if you can call this heilige yom tov (not holiday) crazy your also from that crowd...

Apr 02, 2010 at 04:09 PM Anonymous Says:

'sefosayim yishak mayshiv devorim nechonim'..these people are rich in gashmious very poor in ruchnious

Apr 02, 2010 at 04:12 PM Anonymous Says:

power up Says:

what the next generation will do? one of the tzaddikum of previous generation said' 'why did the children of..go off the derech? because they heard thier parents constantly complain how hard its to...' so they said 'im kein i dont want ..

Apr 07, 2010 at 11:11 PM sherry Says:

This is what we call Sinat Chinam. You people all need to get a life. Did it ever occur to you that maybe the reporter took his words out of context? And who cares if someone can afford to go away and celebrate pesach in style? Is he asking any of you for money? NO! On the other hand, I bet a bunch of you who whine about people who go away for Pesach sit on your fat tucheses while your fathers in law support you. Live and let live, I say. You're all just jealous that you can't afford to go yourselves. And instead your poor wives have to work like dogs so you can have a kosher pesach. Ask your wives if they'd like to go away for Pesach or if they'd rather start cleaning 2 months before the holiday and see how much she enjoys Pesach at home. Oh but wait, why would you care what your wives think. You're the same bunch who make them work while you pretend to be 'learning'

Apr 07, 2010 at 11:22 PM yid Says:

Just because he goes to miami doesn't mean he doesn't have a good family to spend it with...

Apr 08, 2010 at 02:20 PM A friend Says:

As a friend of the person quoted in the article, who most of you seem to have issue with for his choice to go away...I can only say you all WISH you had a friend like him. He would give anyone the shirt off his back, no questions asked. He's always there to do anyone a favor, no matter how difficult, As far as his family goes, you should all wish to have a family like his, too. His children are well raised and well behaved, with derech eretz, midos, and respect for everyone (regardless of their religious affiliation) He's the best father and a loving husband (who goes to Miami so that his wife shouldn't have to work like a dog) and a pillar of the community. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for judging him before you even know the man. You're all quick to call him all sorts of names and point fingers, why don't you all look at yourselves in the mirror, first and judge your own behavior. I am ashamed to belong to the same tribe as some of the commenters.

Apr 09, 2010 at 01:36 PM the man Says:

power to him if he can afford what is it your business it is his way a person who makes comments about other people with out knowing anything about them are not worth listening to by the way iwas with him also and enjoyed every moment