Manhattan, NY - Mailing Glitch Causes Census Form Absence for 300,000 Residents

Published on: April 1, 2010 03:37 PM
By:  NY1
file Bloomberg encouraging NYC residents to fill our census documentsfile Bloomberg encouraging NYC residents to fill our census documents

Manhattan, NY - Hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers have not yet received their U.S. Census forms even though today is the deadline to return the 10-question forms.

Residents of one residential building on the Upper West Side known as The Ansonia say no one there has received their forms.

City Councilwoman Gale Brewer, who represents the area, says the building is not the only one. She says she has received phone calls from many others who haven’t gotten their forms either.

A representative from the City Planning Office says a similar glitch occurred in some apartment buildings, especially those with concierges, in 2000.

The problem has also been seen in apartments that were converted from warehouses and marinas.

Brewer says the U.S. Census Bureau told her that they will issue more and do a second mailing.

“We contacted the Census Bureau we have an email from them and what they stated is that the mailing, there must have been some mistake in the mailing,” Brewer said.

As many as 300,000 city residents, or 127,000 addresses, have not yet received their census forms because their addresses were not in the Census Bureau’s database, according to the City Planning Department.

“I keep thinking it’s going to come, you see all the ads on TV and I don’t know, at a certain point I was going to really get worried, I was starting to get worried,” said one Upper West Side resident. “I want to participate in the census, I’m excited about the census that’s how you know who lives where when,” said another.

The City Planning Department estimates the city could gain $900 million if those residents who were not originally in the system filled out their census forms, as federal funds are doled out based on population.

New York, NY - Cops are slapping drivers with fewer parking tickets. Summonses issued by the NYPD citywide dropped nearly 11 percent in the first 3½ months of the... Stockholm, Sweden - Researchers say new evidence from Russian archives suggests that a Swedish diplomat credited with rescuing thousands of Hungarian Jews from the...

Apr 01, 2010 at 05:32 PM i dont trust this Says:

they tell us they need to know how many children are so they can fund schools. well first of the country is going bankrupt and they already cutting teaching jobs. besides if they need to know many kids there are in the local schools, ask the local schools.

Apr 01, 2010 at 06:03 PM Anonymous Says:

Never received mine in BP and I think this is no glitch, this is a scheme by Bloomberg to keep the money in Manhattan.

Apr 01, 2010 at 07:54 PM munchickjack Says:

i got my census forms but i will not fill them out as long as obama harosho is president

Apr 01, 2010 at 09:15 PM awacs Says:

conflicted: do I skip the census form, so blue New York gets undercounted, or do I have twelve children, so Jewish NY gets a bigger share of the pie?

Apr 01, 2010 at 09:32 PM Anonymous Says:

No 3. You are foolish . You are ,only , hurting yourself .

Apr 01, 2010 at 10:19 PM unconstitutional Says:

The constitution only allows the government to inquire once every 10 years how many residents are in their household. Everything in the census beyond that question is an unconstitutional violation of privacy.

Apr 01, 2010 at 10:36 PM Shlomo Says:

munchickjack Says:

The census has nothing to do with Obama. Why hurt yourself and your neighbors by not filling out the form? Congressional representation, state and federal funding, City planning, and other important things are based on the census.

Apr 01, 2010 at 10:55 PM Anonymous Says:

I have received it 2 weeks ago and have received a second one today.
I did look on the form if there is a deadline but I did not find it so I pushed it off for after passover since I was too busy before pesach

Apr 01, 2010 at 11:57 PM Anonymous Says:

Mailed mine a week ago, today i got another one in the mail. maybe I'll send that one back too, get counted twice?

Apr 02, 2010 at 12:59 AM Anonymous Says:

i got a second one today

Apr 02, 2010 at 04:43 PM awacs Says:

Me too. The second says be careful not to mail it back if you've already submitted; that seems to imply that they have no means means to prevent double-counting. Not that I'm *surprised*.