New York - Plan of $1.60 Increase in Cigarette Tax Will Raise $440 Million

Published on: June 18, 2010 06:43 PM
By: 1010 Wins

New York - State plans a $1.60 increase per pack in the cigarette tax to the highest in the nation as well as a long-delayed plan to crack down on the sale of cigarettes by tribes to non-Indians.

The plan includes a big increase in the tax on chewing tobacco, cigars, pipe tobacco and other tobacco products.

New York state Budget Director Robert Megna says the revenue producers are still being negotiated with legislative leaders and tribes in New York. But he says they will be part of an emergency spending bill Monday.

The Legislature will either have to accept the whole package or reject the weekly emergency appropriation and shut down government.

The package is expected to raise $440 million for New York as it faces a $9.2 billion deficit.

Long Island, NY - The sky's no limit for police looking to slow aggressive drivers. While drivers leaving town for the weekend were scanning the side of the road for... New York, NY - The Sand Hill Indian tribe located in New Jersey filed a lawsuit "claiming Manhattan, as well as the Hudson Areas, and the states of NJ, Delaware and...

Jun 18, 2010 at 07:03 PM Anonymous Says:

It's a chilul Hashem that we even need to see news of cigarettes on a Jewish site, several poskim have already ruled them assur, yet people still, who wouldn't dream of eating something that's treif, put this poison into their body and transgress the Torah mitzvah of guarding one's health!

Jun 18, 2010 at 07:30 PM Anonymous Says:

Go for it! Make the tax $10/pack, or even $20/pack. Once cigarettes become unaffordable, people who are addicted will buy their last few packs they may need to quit, then will be done with that deadly, disgusting and discourteous habit.

Many people, young and old, great and simple, have quit smoking, even cold turkey. If YOU still smoke, then YOU can do it, too, BS"D. No excuses.

Jun 19, 2010 at 02:32 PM Anonymous Says:

it would be nice indeed if everyone just quit cold turkey, but just out of curiosity, how long have you smoked for?

Jun 19, 2010 at 02:44 PM Anonymous Says:

the real chillul hashem is that people such as yourself like to pretend the religious Jewish don't have the same problems as all other people..The job of the Yid is not to pretend to be better, it is to acknowledge, and to be man enough to admit that "yes" we also have these problems...their is a tremendous problem with addiction in the frum world, but the problem is not the addiction as much as it is the denial of the problem...you cant receive help if you don't believe that their is a problem..

Jun 19, 2010 at 09:32 PM A E ANDERSON Says:

People who are addicted will pay $20 a pack, even more. That is what addiction means. Tobacco has long been considered more addictive than heroin. What junkie wouldn't pay $20 for a fix, much less $20 for a full day of fixes!

The facile solution to the dual addictions of cigarettes and spendthrift public spending is to raise the cigarette tax. But what will be when it becomes apparent, as with any other controlled substance addiction, that lives and families will always suffer at the expense of serious addictions? Raise taxes enough, people will deplete their savings, sell their assets, downsize their housing, steal and even take food from their children to feed the addiction. Not to mention the HUGE black market, and the massive increase in organised crime, that will result.

The range of anti-tobacco restrictions that are already in place have done much to remove smoking from the day-to-day lives of the vast majority of Americans. There is no reason not to believe that this salubrious trend will continue on its own accord without need for recourse to proposals that will exacerbate rather than cure the problem.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM Anonymous Says:

dude. take a chill. lots of gedolim smoke.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:24 PM Anonymous Says:

Reply to 4. It looks like your problem is dealing with other people's opinions. Why don't you admit that.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:42 PM Not anymore Says:

dude. take a chill. lots of gedolim smoke.

Name me some Gedolim who smoke? I know of only 1 and he smokes occasionally at most.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:52 PM Anonymous Says:

that is certainly correct my friend, this is a blog with many different opinions..You are entitled to yours and I'm entitled to mine...

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:20 PM Anonymous Says:

The problem with these knuckle head politicians is that the higher the taxes the better the incenticve to drive to nj and pick up a few cartons - the market will dictate what they can get and then purchases are made out of state or on the internet _ net result _ LESS income for the state _ but who are we to teach these smart bureaucrats how to run a business

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:45 PM Anonymous Says:

dude. take a chill. lots of gedolim smoke.

Anyone who smokes is by definition, is a self-destructive rasha and cannot be called a "gadol" so please don't be motzi shem rah about big rabbonim.

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:04 AM Anonymous Says:

Studies show that higher cigarette prices do reduce consumption, especially among younger people who may not be so addicted yet, and it might discourage many from even trying smoking.

The antismoking laws in NY State aren't strict enough though. We need laws like in California, where smoking is banned on public property including sidewalks, beaches, and parks. Some of us are very sensitive to cigarette smoke, and we deserve the right to walk down the sidewalk or sit in a public park and not get cigarette smoke blown in our faces.

Jun 20, 2010 at 02:09 AM PMO Says:

Who pays retail for cigs anyway? Don't most of us just buy our cigs from overseas these days? I only pay about $1.80/pack.

Why not tax all the other unhealthy things people consume. Why not put a 600% tax on food preservatives? How about a 600% tax on foods high in fat? Our government does not have the right to impose 1000% taxes! What kind of liberal nonsense is this????

How any conservative could possibly endorse this kind of government abuse is beyond me! This is America. I have a right to smoke if I want to. I don't need the government to dictate my behavior.

Perhaps if so many in our community weren't stealing welfare, foodstamps, section 8, and WIC from the government, these taxes wouldn't be needed. Perhaps if more people in our community actually got an education and a decent job, they would not have to live like leeches on the backs of their neighbors!

Tax, tax, tax... and take... take.... take....that's all you communist New Yorkers understand.

Jun 20, 2010 at 07:05 AM Q Says:

PMO Says:

You are truly disturbed. And self-hating.

There is nothing wrong with heavily taxing a product that costs society so much damage.

Using this conversation as an opportunity to attack corruption that you think runs rampant in our community exposes the depth of your self-loathing.

Sadly, people reading your comments could easily be forgiven for assuming they represent anything more than the psychotic ranting of a deeply resentful example of a self-hating failure.

By the way, I notice you failed to find even one of your pathetically illogical fantasies with which to link your disdain your disdain for this tax with your disdain for Barack Hussein Obama. Could this perhaps indicate a recent successful dosage adjustment?

Jun 20, 2010 at 07:13 AM Q Says:

dude. take a chill. lots of gedolim smoke.

"lots of gedolim smoke."

Really???!!! Care to name a few?

By the way, thanks for letting us know there are "lots" of gedolim.

Jun 20, 2010 at 03:10 PM NoHipsterHere Says:

Who besides hipsters is stupid enough to feed their nicotine habit with cigarettes purchased here in New York? What the political class refuses to acknowledge is that "not smoking" is not the only alternative to paying these taxes.

Jun 21, 2010 at 01:53 AM PMO Says:

Q Says:

You are truly disturbed. And self-hating.

I don't know where you get your propaganda from, but a smoker in his lifetime costs the public about $1400 more than a non smoker. That's it. You believe the liberal lies that these pigs tell so they can take more and more of our money. I don't care what your opinion on smoking is. I don't care whether or not you think smoking is good for me or not.

The issue is whether a person believes that a 900-1000% tax on ANYTHING is acceptable in a free society. To any self-respecting conservative, that answer is a resounding NO! You are not a conservative so you don't understand. You believe in freedom, except when it is something you don't like... then freedom be damned! You can't have it both ways. THAT is what is typically called a RINO (by Republicans anyway). Conservatives like me just call you a PHONY!.

Jun 21, 2010 at 08:15 AM Q Says:

I don't need your chochmas. I saw my grandfather who smoked before the government finally forced the manafacturers to put health warnings on cigarettes, die of lung cancer.

Jun 21, 2010 at 09:11 AM Q Says:

PMO Says:

Civilized societies have decided that using taxation and financial incentives as positive and negative inducements makes good public policy.

Deal with it.

Jun 21, 2010 at 09:14 AM Q Says:

PMO Says:

Thanks for letting me know that the idea of a successful dosage adjustment having tamed your lunacy was just a fantasy of mine.

For your type the cost of any behavior can only be measured in dollars and cents. Normal humans are able to consider things like lung cancer a cost too.

And thanks for that funny line about it being a matter of opinion that smoking is unhealthy. I needed a good laugh.

And I don't believe the lifetime cost of smoking of $1,400. It made me wonder what you have been smoking.

Sorry, Charlie. We need $20 a pack smokes, everywhere, every state, every town, every Indian reservation.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM PMO Says:

Q Says:

You sadly miss the point.

For ME, I measure the cost in many ways. For the GOVERNMENT, it should only be about dollars and cents. If they would just do away with the socialist entitlements they wouldn't have to worry about infringing on the freedoms of others.

It is not the government's job to dictate my behavior, and it is not the government's job to decide (though taxation) what is good for me or not. If you can tell me where the Constitution grants that power, I'll eat my hat!

What will you communists in NY do when everyone quits smoking? Where will those hundreds of millions of dollars come from to pay for your disgusting socialist programs? It will need to come from somewhere, because they certainly won't cut anything. It will, once again, come from the paychecks of those of us who who got an education and worked hard to be successful.

You NYers will just tax and tax and tax in order to pay for the dishonest lifestyles of the freeloaders. Communism doesn't work anywhere, but I guess you'll have to figure it out for yourselves as more and more wealthy people abandon NY state and the middle gets squeezed tighter and tighter.

The Constitution doesn't allow this!

Jun 21, 2010 at 09:44 PM Q Says:

PMO Says:

You sadly miss the point.

The Constitution doesn't allow this!

The Supreme Court decides what is and what is not allowed under the constitution, not you.

Learn to deal with it.

As one who has done too many taharas on people who died way too young, at times after having pieces of their mouths and jaws removed and living on liquid nourishment fed into ports sawn into their bellies, I pray that we will beezras hashem yisborach keep taxing the hell out of cigarettes until they are a thing of the past and the death merchants who grow and sell them find honest ways of making a living.

Jun 21, 2010 at 09:44 PM Q Says:

PMO Says:

You sadly miss the point.

The Constitution doesn't allow this!

Learn to deal with it.