New York - Brooklyn DA: Crown Heights Bes Din Gag Order Meaningless

Published on: December 11, 2010 07:17 PM

New York - Brooklyn D.A. Charles Hynes responded in an email to Catholic League President Bill Donohue to the news release on the Beth Din of Crown Heights controversy.

Hynes said, in part, “In the 21 years I’ve served as Brooklyn’s District Attorney I have never been deterred by anyone including the various Beth Dins in Brooklyn from fulfilling my responsibilities as the Chief Law Enforcement Official of Kings County.”

He went on to say that “nothing can interfere with my authority to investigate and prosecute any allegation of crime in my County.”

Detroit, MI - About 40 Arab-American demonstrators gathered today outside Wayne State University's Administration Building to call for the reinstatement of an award... Jerusalem - Shas Chairman Eli Yishai said last week that the harsh criticism thrown in his direction following the Carmel fire disaster was due to his Sephardic...

Dec 11, 2010 at 07:35 PM KevinTheMevin Says:

Stupid move by CH Bies Din and all those that pull the strings, first they need to earn the respect of Crown Heights residents by eliminating corruption and in-fighting, only then can they publish letters like that, otherwise its a big joke.

Dec 11, 2010 at 07:45 PM Normal Says:

If only Rabbonim would be as honest and "investigate and prosecute any allegation of crime in my County.” especially molestation.

Dec 11, 2010 at 07:49 PM Anonymous Says:

I don't know about this brogias but if any Rav on ANY beis din would be stupid enough to tell the kehillah not to report a crime to the police, that Rav should be removed from the beis din, investigated by the DA for possible obstruction of justice and most importantly put in charem by the tzibur.

Dec 11, 2010 at 08:01 PM charliehall Says:

Hynes is being lenient with the beit din -- he could seek an indictment for obstruction of justice. This statement is actually a signal to them that they can get away with this.

Dec 11, 2010 at 08:14 PM Think before you speak! Says:

The beis din did NOT say not to report crimes.
They did not say NOT to report police brutality
The beis din DID say that no resident had the right to speak on behalf of the entire Crown heights community. That's all!

If you didn't read the letter, you shouldn't be posting.

Dec 11, 2010 at 08:58 PM Anonymous Says:

They are so afraid of the community council because they pay their salary. So if we want fairness we won't get it from these Rabbonim. I hate living here, i would be happier in Russia. i want to sell up and get out but I own my dream house and i wish i didn't because in this market I'm stuck. Now I can't even vent because Big Brother told me i can't. I'm so tired of it all.

Dec 11, 2010 at 08:33 PM FactsofLife Says:

I don't know why the Jewish community votes for Hynes. He presided over the Crown Heights pogrom and did a terrible job.

Dec 11, 2010 at 08:43 PM Oberchuchim Says:

Think before you speak! Says:

The beis din did NOT say not to report crimes.
They did not say NOT to report police brutality

If you didn't read the letter, you shouldn't be posting.

I read the letter....and it in fact says
Do not report ANY crimes to police
Do not reprt police brutality

Dec 11, 2010 at 08:46 PM mark meyer appel Says:

read between the lines,,,,,,,,,,,,the days are over when certain so called rabbis think they can influence the da office re; child abuse issues

Dec 11, 2010 at 08:49 PM meshigener Says:

Everyone in Crown Hights became a community spokes man and act like they represent Crown Hights. Bais Din came and said that's it. No one has a right to represent the community except the few that were given the right.

What's so bad with that? DA Hynes please read the letter before talking.

Dec 11, 2010 at 09:40 PM linda Says:

now where is hana white a lubavitsher to stick up for tham?

Dec 11, 2010 at 10:15 PM Renegade Says:

#10 Is the only one who actually understood the letter.

#8 the letter does not say that at all. The closest it comes to that is when it says "It is forbidden to file complaints or instigate investigations AGAINST THE LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT RELATING TO COMMUNAL MATTERS without written permission of CHJCC" (emphasis mine)

Don't try to spin this into something it's not.
This is not directed at individual victims of crimes, it's directed at Crownheights.info who's been looking for every opportunity lately to bash the PD and make them look bad, as well as the Shomrim member(s) who run a few anonymous hate blogs, as well as anybody (unelected / unappointed) who thinks he can speak in the name of the community.

Dec 11, 2010 at 10:27 PM Anon Ibid Opcit Says:

KevinTheMevin Says:

They should never publish letters like that, period. They're defending evil by protecting criminals from justice. And they're trying to coerce Jews into aiding and abetting crimes. Anyone who wrote or signed that unwholesome scrap of paper should be on trial for obstruction of justice, aiding and abetting every felony committed by any chabadnik in their sphere of influence and conspiracy to commit same.

Dec 11, 2010 at 10:33 PM shvigger Says:

meshigener Says:

What's so bad with that? DA Hynes please read the letter before talking.

So who are the few who have been given that right?

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:08 PM charliehall Says:

Oberchuchim Says:

I read the letter....and it in fact says
Do not report ANY crimes to police
Do not reprt police brutality

I'd move if I were you. I prefer living in a place with a rule of law.

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:48 AM YechielR Says:

You would be correct if the Psak was talking about Crime between one person and another. The Psak was against going to the Media or the Police ABOUT Police corruption in the CH community. The Rabbanim don't want to ruin the relationship that the community has with the Police department, even though the police are issuing bogus summons. So before you bash Rabbanim make sure you know the whole story.

Having said that, I still have an issue with this Psak. But I would never BASH Rabbinim about it. That is a grave thing.

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:52 AM Anonymous Says:

Charlie, it isn't so simple. We're desperate to leave but we can't sell our house & we won't rent it since we know what tenants do to a property that isn't theirs. We're stuck here. But yes, we hate living with the KGB. Find me a buyer & there's a nice commission in it for you.

Shvigger: the Special Few are the Crown heights Jewish Community Council and they haven't done a thing. They never, ever respond to situations. They never hold meetings to tell us what's going on. All they do is take photos with elected officials. I honestly don't know if they ever get involved with police situations because they don't feel the need to report to us plebs here in the neighborhood. They get govt money...do we know where it goes? Oh yes, it goes on new garbage cans on Kingston Avenue.

Dec 12, 2010 at 09:32 AM PrettyBoyFloyd Says:

סיג לכחמה שטיקה when will our rabbis practice what they preach?????

Dec 12, 2010 at 03:42 PM ActualRabbi Says:

I am Shoked to see such blatant Stupidity and Ignorance!

The Bes Din simply said that individuals should not pretend that they "represent" the entire community.

END of story!

It is shocking to see how people simply misread headlines, and then "create" a story in their own head. Then they vent and kvetch about things that have no connection to reality.

I challenge anybody to read the Letters and then tell me that they have a problem with it!

Dec 12, 2010 at 09:46 PM Anonymous Says:

shvigger Says:

So who are the few who have been given that right?

The CHJCC and the Nitzgem