Manhattan, NY - Woman Sues over Ban on Wearing Cross While Working for Orthodox Jews

Published on: December 13, 2010 06:55 PM
By:  NY Post

Manhattan, NY - A Roman Catholic woman says she was banned from wearing her crucifix while working for Orthodox Jews at a Manhattan frame and watch wholesaler.

Jamie Errico said she was told not wear crosses to work at Concepts in Time near Herald Square - and on one occasion when she did, store owner Saul Jemal pulled her aside and told her to “remove it or tuck it under her shirt, and never wear it again,” Errico charged in a discrimination suit against the store.

Jemal, the suit added, also “refused to allow plaintiff to make or sell watches with any kind of non-Jewish religious symbols.”

The Manhattan Supreme Court suit accuses the store of having a double standard, noting that Jemal and the other Orthodox men all wore yarmulkes, while the women were allowed to wear Star of David necklaces.

Errico, 41, also complained that while Jewish employees were allowed to leave early on the eve of important religious holidays, she had her pay docked when she didn’t work on Christmas Eve , which isn’t actually a holiday.

Errico, who was fired from her sales VP job last December, is now suing the company for unspecified money damages for the alleged gender and religious discrimination.

Her lawyer, Matthew Blit, said, “Freedom of religion is a fundamental right in this country. It is illegal for an employer to discriminate on the basis of religion or deny a person a religious accommodation because they believe in a different religion.”

The store didn’t return a call for comment. It sued Errico earlier this year, charging she was trying to steal its client list to start a competing business. That suit, which Errico’s side contends was filed in retaliation for her EEOC complaint against the business, has since been dismissed on technical grounds.

Elizabeth, NJ - A New Jersey man has pleaded guilty to stealing a valuable Internet domain name and selling it on eBay for more than $111,000. Twenty-six-year-old... Manhattan, NY - There’s no meat left to pack in the Meatpacking District. The garmentos who gave the Garment District its name have become scarce. Big financial firms...

Dec 13, 2010 at 07:06 PM Anonymous Says:

I can see and hear the screams of protest that would arise if the situation was to be reversed, and Mr Jemal would be refused permission by his Gentile boss to wear his kipah etc.

Saul Jemal and his business partners are skating on very thin ice if they persist in this discriminatory action.

Dec 13, 2010 at 07:17 PM Anonymous Says:

If this is true, it's very bad.

Dec 13, 2010 at 07:25 PM birgas Says:

What a frivolous law suit, baseless and w/o merit. She is shooting to get a settlement.

Dec 13, 2010 at 07:28 PM curious Says:

Sounds like a bogus suit to me.

Dec 13, 2010 at 07:43 PM WiseDude Says:

Let her wear it. This is America.

Dec 13, 2010 at 08:00 PM independent_mind Says:

Everyone busy shouting about the wig fiasco being a Chillul Hashem? Well to me this story here points to a real Chillul Hashem
Although I would still be careful to jump to conclusion about how things really went down....

Dec 13, 2010 at 08:12 PM Paulie123 Says:

Good, she should sue their pants off. What , religious discrimination applies only to Orthodox Jews?

Dec 13, 2010 at 08:13 PM Anonymous Says:

Concepts in Time were obviously real discriminators, that they even gave her a job as sales Vice President. No! they didn't give it to an orthodox Jew, they gave it to a non jew or gentile. It appears that she left wanting to open her own business and wanted to take the business addresses and acquaintances. Great idea. But then don't sue for discrimination. We obviously don't have the facts. But one thing is certain that these orthdox boys gave her a lucrative job even though she was not jewish.

Dec 13, 2010 at 08:15 PM Anonymous Says:

Waiting to hear from the "Chilul Hashem First Infantry Division". How the chareidi orthodox act so nasty. Please all should stand aside because the cavalry is about to attack.

Dec 13, 2010 at 08:25 PM Anonymous Says:

If her allegations are true, which I hope not, than they should impose a severe fine and penalty on the store-owners. Yiddin have been the target of so much discrimination over the years for wearing yarmulkes and heimeshe luvsh. Its a big chilul hashem if these store owners told her not to wear her tzeimel which is as important to her as our "stuff? is to us.

Dec 13, 2010 at 08:37 PM mewhoze Says:

perhaps she should get a georgi wig

Dec 13, 2010 at 08:47 PM Sherree Says:

If this is true, they deserve to be sued for denying her religious rights. Not for not selling religious articles, because they don't have to sell non-jewish articles in their store, but for not allowing her to wear her own religious articles is beyond chutzpah!

Dec 13, 2010 at 08:59 PM Kanaim Says:

You are all so wrong. This is a PRIVATE business, owned by a PRIVATE individual. The owner determines who is hired, who is fired, and what the rules are if you work there. He can say no fat people, no Jews, no gentiles, no blacks, whatever he wants. At least thats how it SHOULD BE. You don't like the rules? Find another job! I am so sick of this everyone has rights garbage. I should be able to sell my property to whomever I want, hire and fire whomever I want, and tell whomever I want to keep off my grass. If I put a sign on my lawn that says "NO BLACKS ARE ALLOWED ON MY GRASS", what's the problem? I paid for it, it's mine. Now go away with your intrusive policies and laws. You liberals want all the protection, but if I want the same protection to protect MY stuff, then it's a different story. Do you think a Jewish-owned sefarim store should have to hire a Catholic person to work the front counter? NEVER! So why can't the owner advertise for help wanted and say Jews only?

Dec 13, 2010 at 09:19 PM Wiznitzer Says:

If it really bothered her why didn't she complain when working there? Now it looks like trying to get back at the company

Dec 13, 2010 at 09:00 PM shvigger Says:

I'd hate to be forced to stare at a tzelem all day.

Dec 13, 2010 at 09:12 PM Anonymous Says:

If it disturbs the coworkers and the boss of doing business then he has the right

Dec 13, 2010 at 09:22 PM Paulie123 Says:

Kanaim Says:

Hmmm, what side of bed did you get out of this morning? So if a PRIVATE non Jewish company hired you, and while on the job , the boss comes over to you and tells you to take your yarmulke off or rsik getting fired, would you just agree to get fired? Or would you call Dov hikind? Somehow I get the feeling that if you had a well paid job and were presented such a scenerio, you would not put up a fight

Dec 13, 2010 at 09:39 PM Anonymous Says:

Kanaim Says:

To Kanaim:
You can blabber all you want as an anoymous poster but in the real world, your so called "rights" are trumped by a number of laws which would result in your being jailed, sued or both. Its funny reading your rants because there are so many others like hyou who have been found guilty of violating civil rights laws, anti-discrimination laws, etc. Unless the discrimination is based on legitimate religious issues (i.e. a yeshiva can restrict its teachers to yidden) which is not the case for a retail jeweler, this behavior is unlawful, whether you like it or not. Too bad, but keep blabbering on. Its your right and cannot be restricted.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:01 PM Sherree Says:

Kanaim Says:

You missed the point. If he already hired her, he can't deny her religious rights. This is America not the Soviet Union!!!

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:01 PM Kanaim Says:

To Kanaim:

Yeah, I know, thats the problem. The laws are unfair to business and property owners. And dont ask what would happen if the sign for a house said for sale but not for Jews. I would say well, that's God's way of telling me not to move there, its not discrimination.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM Anonymous Says:

birgas Says:

big lawyer talking?

I am frum, and just based on this article would award the woman BIG TIME.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:27 PM Anonymous Says:

Kanaim Says:

Yay, kanaim, we can always count on you.

Every time we think you couldn't possibly make astupider comment than your current one, you go ahead and surprise us again!

This one was incredible! But I hope no gentiles read this and think you are Jewish, which you obviously are not!

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:28 PM Anonymous Says:

shvigger Says:

I'd hate to be forced to stare at a tzelem all day.

I'd hate to be forced to look at you all day. What's your point?

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:42 PM MENYC Says:

Paulie123 Says:

If when I was hired I wore a yarmulka then I wouldnt expect them to call me in one day and ask me to remove it. But if I didnt wear a yarmulka and then decided to put one on and they ask me to remove it its a different story.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:43 PM Kanaim Says:

big lawyer talking?

I am frum, and just based on this article would award the woman BIG TIME.

That doesn't mean a thing. I'm a Jew, I'm frum, and I'd throw her out as fast as I could for even thinking to bring a Yid to court! You never side with the goyim, no matter what.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:44 PM benzion Says:

I don't understand. Is wearing a tzelem a religious obligation?

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:46 PM MENYC Says:

Paulie123 Says:

Does she have proof, like an email, letter or a recording where the owner demands her to remove her cross, or any document with the company rules that lists such policy?

If she has no proof then its a he said she said case at which I would believe the owner since she has a reason to make this up because he fired her (possibly for cause).

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:46 PM Babishka Says:

Did this business have a dress code that banned the wearing of all personal jewelry? No? Maybe they should have a costume code for all customer service workers, like Disney.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:50 PM Anonymous Says:

If this is true, it's very bad.

why thei don't need to wear it its not like a yarmika or other jewish things that's is a most .

don't make us so terable please

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM memyself Says:

1) she isn't OBLIGATED by her religion to wear it.
2) why should they have to let her design s/thing, if they don't like the design, for w/ever reason? If i'm an architect, & I design a building with a star of david (ala the iranian terminal
:), do they HAVE TO accept it?!

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:13 PM WiseDude Says:

Kanaim Says:

Kanaim: that is without a doubt the dumbest thing I have heard all year. Don't you realize that if this was the law of the USA that idiot Jews such as yourself would be the first to feel severe discrimination? And do you know where legal discrimination leads? It leads to persecution. And persecution can lead to genocide after a lot of other evils. Don't be so naive. As a Jew you should be the last person to want legal discrimination in this country. Wake up!

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:56 PM charliehall Says:

Yay, kanaim, we can always count on you.

I'm sure he is not Jewish -- just a troublemaking gentile troll. No Jew could ever discount the importance of laws against religious discrimination.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:40 AM skvererebbe Says:

No. 1 christians are not obligated to wear a cross and if my non jew boss would tell me i can not wear my ( lehavdil ) talis gadol and tefilin during work I would not feel discriminated ! no. 2 he only asked her not to wear it ! He did not fire her ! no. 3 for many jews the crusofix is ofendig based on what it represents and considering that he had her work in a high position many of his jewish custemers would feel unwelcome with her big cross sticking out like that ! And I think that she also understood that ! but !!!!

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:47 AM ChulentBean Says:

Now i know that a lot of BS flies around. I met Saul Jemal on a job interview for his company & although it did not work out, he was very respectful & a true Mentch. It sounds to me that this lady wanted to cause trouble, perhaps she wore the largest cross just to shove it in the peoples face. I have no doubt she was also a bad worker & was fired and now she is trying to fire back.

Dec 14, 2010 at 02:42 AM LiberalismIsADisease Says:

From the sounds of it, if I was on the jury I would laugh at her! This sounds like she is trying to get at them for firing here LEGITIMATELY and she wants money.

How can she compare the jews getting off on erev whatever to her getting off on 12/24 which as it says in the story IS NOT A RELIGIOUS HOLIDAY! In my industry most places close early on the 24th out of the goodness of their hearts and nothing else.

If customers said something about the tzaylim (if thats even true!) then the boss has a right to ask her to put in her shirt. The goyim cave in for a lot less when it comes to getting rid of their stupid trees of the season of not to have the big fat guy in the red suit. Did you hear about the New York City YMCA (thats a C folks!!) that is trying to be PC by not having shmata klutz??

SHE IS LYING!!

Dec 14, 2010 at 02:44 AM Michael Says:

Kanaim Says:

Actually, my friend, you are wrong. There are numerous state and federal laws that prohibit discrimination in the work place. If you ever worked for a real company and had to interview and hire people you'd know that there are a mine field of questions you must avoid asking for just having the "appearance" of discrimination.

Clearly this usually works in the favor of orthodox Jews who dress differently and have many days they cannot work.

Unfortunately, this is all too typical of "frum" employers. The frum Jews pack out early every Friday, plus every "erev", plus, plus. And the non-Jews get a hard time if they want to leave early a couple of days a year for their important holidays. This arrogance is growing as we become more numerous and comfortable. It is a chilul Hashem and it is morally repugnant.

Dec 14, 2010 at 04:49 AM Yonason_Herschlag Says:

If a Jew is told he must remove his kipah when inside church premises, is that "religious discrimination"?

Dec 14, 2010 at 05:47 AM rzldzlman Says:

This would all depend on whether the tzeilem had a Yoshkele hanging on it and whether his petzuah was covered adequately. Otherwise, legally, it's a triple issue of a tzeilem, Yoshkele and an uncovered makom ervah which would complicate legal matters. See Mandelbaum vs Alabama 467 U.S. 1 (1972)

Dec 14, 2010 at 07:25 AM Anonymous Says:

If she was a vice president it shows there was no religious prejudice. I for one would not want a person working for me in my office to have a tzelem and would ask him or her to remove it. If they came with it for an interview they would not get the job. Do we have to hire Jews for yoshka teacher in a cheder.

Dec 14, 2010 at 07:37 AM 5TResident Says:

If they are not allowing her to wear her crucifix, they are wrong. If she wants to worship her avodah zorah, let her. That's her problem.

Dec 14, 2010 at 07:51 AM ALLAN Says:

Kanaim Says:

Kanaim, I am a Jew also, although not frum..that aside your comments are way out of line. You side with whoever is right and in this case if all the facts are as posted the woman who wore the cross just may have a great case against her former employers. Please take note of the fact that I used the word "if'"..allowing for the complete story and all facts to come out.

Dec 14, 2010 at 08:26 AM Anonymous Says:

Kanaim, you are without doubt a moron. Let's all go back to the days of "Room for rent. No Jews, no dogs." See how long you last!

As for this story, I think the employers are wrong. if the X is huge with a picture of some guy on it, then maybe they could ask her to replace it with something in keeping with the sizes of the Magen Davids the Jewish women wear. That's reasonable...it's a jewelry store after all. They could even get it discounted for her!

Holidays. Doesn't B&H expect their staff (all of them) to take off Succos & Pesach without pay? That's their right. So I guess the non-Jews in B&H take of Dec. 25th (unless it's Shabbos like this year) without pay as well. Dec 24 is NOT a legal holiday.

Lastly...not selling watches with Xtian themes...one law that Kanaim may have right is that AFAIK, you can sell whatever you want in your own business. Not her business, not her right to dictate what merchandise they should sell. That's plain stupid.

Dec 14, 2010 at 08:43 AM Tzi_Bar_David Says:

Many goyim ...well, the Christian goyim, anyway... wear crosses and other religious trinkets UNDER their garments. If she was wearing it for religious reasons (which is her call) then it could be done under the blouse. If she was wearing it as a fashion statement, as I strongly suspect she was, the employer was in its rights to ask it not be worn openly as it would discomfort the clientele.

Dec 14, 2010 at 09:54 AM Kanaim Says:

Michael Says:

"This arrogance is growing as we become more numerous and comfortable. "
You have no idea how right you are. And the reason for it is because we are TOO comfortable here in galus among the goyim. So we should do whatever we can to make it less comfortable. And if it means firing a goy for wearing a cross, so be it.

And Michael, I know I am technically wrong because the law is the law, but that doesn't mean it's a good law. And you know as well as I do that it still happens. You know very well that if a frum business owner interviews 2 people, and 1 is a frum Jew, chances are he will hire him if he is qualified. Personally, I'd hire him if he wasnt qualified and then train him.

You all need to get on board the Jewish train and let the Goyishe one crash. America is NOT your country!

And for the one who thinks I'm a gentile troll, if there was a way to send you my diploma from my yeshiva i would gladly do so.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:36 AM Michael Says:

Kanaim Says:

"This arrogance is growing as we become more numerous and comfortable. "

Hey, I live in Israel. This is your problem! (We have enough of our own.)

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:39 AM Kanaim Says:

I wonder if it were z'man haMoshiach, if you all would want E"Y run according to American law, too. I'm pretty sure Torah law wouldn't allow a display of avodah zara in a Jewish storeowner's place of business.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:46 AM Michel Says:

1. she wasnt fired, she left so wheres the beef?
2.wearing a cross is not a religious obligation. she could have worn it hidden. a yarmulke, according to many, is a religious obligation- not merley a symbol like a cross.
3. xmas eve is not a religious holiday and he didnt fire her for not working. she could choose ot to work and not get paid. there is no discrimination here.
4. sounds like she wants a settlement to go open a competing business.
5. the company can decide what products it wants to sell. if it doesnt want to sell mickey mouse watches or cross watches, it can dictate that.
6. contingent fee lawyers are what is ruining the USA with their frivolous lawsuits.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM Anonymous Says:

mewhoze Says:

perhaps she should get a georgi wig

Georgie 1 or Georgie 2?

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:23 AM Anonymous Says:

Michel Says:

1. she wasnt fired, she left so wheres the beef?
4. sounds like she wants a settlement to go open a competing business.

Whether you know it or not, there is freedom of religious expression in this country. She should sue unless they settle with her and she will win.This is clear discrimination.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:27 AM Anonymous Says:

Yonason_Herschlag Says:

A store is not a house of worship no matter who owns it!

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:36 AM Anonymous Says:

My question is.... if there was discrimination why didnt she file suit then instead of waiting till after she was fired?She was willing to put up w the discrimination as long as she had a job?

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:56 AM Mazuzzu Says:

ChulentBean Says:

You dont know what you are talking about. This ban on crosses has been going on for over 7 years. The truth will come out because many of us are going to come forward and support her accusations.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:42 AM Hypocrites! Says:

LiberalismIsADisease Says:

SHE IS LYING!!

all the big "dan lekav zchuss" for wig-fraudsters are now calling people they don't even know liars.

What joke, that the goyim are more truthful than we frum Jews are, and WE call THEM names!