Brooklyn, NY - Our Place Stays Open Despite The Blizzard

Published on: December 27, 2010 09:46 PM
By: VIN News Staff

Brooklyn, NY - Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds. This is the motto of the post office. Well today they are closed. So are the banks, buses and trains. One place that IS open is OUR PLACE  and there affiliate Yeshiva Simchas Chaim . The staff walked for miles just for the teens that frequent the center. “The only thing that can make us close is lack of funds” says director Chaim Glancz.

Our Place NY is a teen drop-in-center for the at risk youth in our community. They have over 700 Jewish teens a year. The guys struggle with all sorts of issues, ranging from dropping out of school to serious drug addiction. The Our Place staff takes “no Jewish kid left behind” very seriously. They deal with the kids that no one in the frum community has the resources to deal with.

We just experienced the biggest blizzard since 82’ cars are stuck on the road it’s almost impossible to get around. Yet the Our Place staff refute close for even one night. Sony Perlman the Program Director says “just like hatzolah can’t neither can we”. He claims that Our Place saves lives and there is no break from saving lives. If you think that on a night like this the place would be empty you would be very wrong. It’s barely an hour since Our Place is opened and over 30 guys have sauntered in. Not one of them even considered the possibility that the place would be closed.

For the past several months Our Place has been facing extinction. They lost the government grant that allows them to keep the operation going. They have been reaching out to the community to help cover the deficit, but they are coming up short. Just observing the help that Our Place is giving these kids in need I believe it would be a great shame if they had to close there doors.

To donate to OURPLACE click here

Jerusalem - Israel says 2010 is shaping up to be a record year for its tourism. Tourism Minister Stas Misezhnikov announced Monday that preliminary estimates show... Russia - Russia chief rabbi Berel Lazar agreed on cooperation with the head of the recently established Russian Association of Islamic Accord (All-Russian Muslim Board)...

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:13 PM Shemtov Says:

Today's bochurim are tomorrow's rabbonim.

You heard him, get out your checkbooks!

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:34 PM aviherman Says:

OUR PLACE IS THE BEST PLACE IN THE GOD DAMN WROLD IVE BEEN GOIN THERE FOR AN ESCAPE AND HELP FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS I HAVE BEEN HELPED MANY DIFFRENT WAYS AND I AM FOREVER IN DEBTED TO THE WONDERFULL STAFF THERE O AND SONNY I C U SHAVED LOLL U LOOK GOOD

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:54 AM Anonymous Says:

What's your connection to our place? Seems to be the only institution you support...

Dec 28, 2010 at 06:33 AM londongg Says:

keep up the good work. if only people here would also support our club house

Dec 28, 2010 at 06:13 PM Shemtov Says:

If a man gives tzedakah to only one institution becuase that institution brought him to Torah and mitzvos, I see know problem there.

Dec 28, 2010 at 08:37 PM aviherman Says:

wats my connection the staff there was always there for me and it was not like the many theripists i have been to cause a theripist my parents payed for and nevertehless if this is true or not i felt that they did not give a damn about me they cared about their money not to help me but the staff at our place did it for free showing me their only intrest is my benifet and no their r other places that do the same thing and i sopport them alot but i have been goin to our place so i no op so if u can please help evry penny helps please help keep op open otherwise their will be many other guys with out the help they need

Dec 29, 2010 at 04:57 AM shocking! Says:

I am in awe of this wonderful institution. The staff give their entire lives over to save a few yiddishe souls. Keep up the good work guys, and hashem should bless you that your doors should never be locked to those in need. I love all of my our place brothers and my biological brother that keeps that place kickin ;)