New York - Kashrus Alert: Cascade Action Pacs

Published on: March 24, 2011 01:30 PM

New York - The New Square Kashrus Council has announced that all types of Cascade Action Pacs dishwasher detergent should not be used as the gel packet containing the soap is made out of non-kosher materials, placing them in the category of nevayla/treifa.

All Cascade Action Pacs, no matter when they were purchased, should be discarded.

This announcement affects only Cascade Action Pacs and all other Cascade products bearing reliable supervision may be used.

Asked if use of this item created any kashrus problems in either the dishwasher itself or items that were in the dishwasher at the time of use, a spokesman at New Square Kosher told VIN News “Our Rabbonim said that the keilim are not a problem, but it is a appropriate to run the dishwasher through one cycle, without dishes and with no soap.”

Washington - U.S. government officials say former President Jimmy Carter is planning to travel to North Korea soon, possibly early next month. Spokesman Mark Toner... Moscow - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu compared Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei to Adolf Hitler, during a visit to Moscow on Thursday. 'Hitler...

Mar 24, 2011 at 01:34 PM Anonymous Says:

I don't get it...if the soap capsule was treifus and keylim that would 'aborb treifus" through heating were in the dishwasher, why isn't this a problem for the dishes washed with this soap over several years??

Mar 24, 2011 at 01:42 PM Anonymous Says:

NSK hashgucha does always an amazing job. I always prefer to eat from their hashgucha as I respect their thorough research and knowledge. Keep up!

Mar 24, 2011 at 01:58 PM yoyoyo Says:

Oh please stop with this nonsense. I mean it's not like I'm gonna eat it it's just for washing dishes. How are the dishes made? maybe it has treifene chemicals and your not allowed to use dishes?

Mar 24, 2011 at 02:05 PM Darek Says:

If its nevele why are we not obligated to kasher the utensils?

Mar 24, 2011 at 02:17 PM DavidMoshe Says:

But rabbi, it's just soap! It's not food, so why should we pay you for a kosher certification? Who'd care if their soap is unkosher? I mean, nobody eats soap, right?

You just watch me, you little pisher. Either pay up, or I'll put the word on the street that nobody can buy your soap!

Mar 24, 2011 at 02:20 PM VeyIzMir Says:

If the Keilim are not a problem, then why cannot this be used?

Mar 24, 2011 at 02:24 PM Anonymous Says:

it is botul b'shishim.

Mar 24, 2011 at 02:36 PM Anonymous Says:

the problem is the pack which is made of pork gelatin and it is not nifsal m'achilas kelev...
even its botul b'shishim, and you dont need to kasher the keilim, you may not be a mevatel issur leketchila and put in treife gelatin together with your keilim.
please dont compare soap or the utensils themselves, to gelatin.
if you dont understand this, ask a rav and he will explain it to you. its very simple for someone who knows the halacha.

Mar 24, 2011 at 02:37 PM Kim Says:

The halochos of taruvos are very complex and the average layman cannot expect to understand. There are many many details. Please, if a heart surgeon said something would you also say "but why, bla bla bla"? Trust a rabbi, this is their area of expertise.

Mar 24, 2011 at 02:40 PM Doc Says:

Whats with the "new" announcement? Every other Cascade product has an OU on it. This one has been out for years. No certification should make it obvious there is a problem here.

Mar 24, 2011 at 02:46 PM Yossi Says:

Why is every one asking so many questions...If you rely on New Square hashguche just follow their Daas Torah and if NOT go ask your local Poysek who paskens all your other Shaless..There is no need to debate this Cascade issue between bale batim...

Mar 24, 2011 at 02:53 PM zoup_mit_lukshen Says:

isn't this the equivalent Halacha to Bishul Akum or Pas Palter?

Mar 24, 2011 at 02:59 PM Anonymous Says:

yoyoyo Says:

Chemicals are not traif. Animal fats are.

Mar 24, 2011 at 03:25 PM GB_Jew Says:

" the gel packet containing the soup"

Soup?? Who washes dishes (or anything else, come to that) with soup?

Mar 24, 2011 at 03:28 PM MazelKGH Says:

So long as drugs are kosher, who cares?

Mar 24, 2011 at 03:39 PM Anonymous Says:

Yossi Says:

While Yosi may just stick his head in the sand and click his heels whenever the NSK issues an alert, most of us have some degree of intellectual curiosity as to the basis of their decision and may wish to debate its merits. That exchange of ideas among some really intelligent yidden is one of the wonderful gifts provided by VIN

Mar 24, 2011 at 04:01 PM Anonymous Says:

GB_Jew Says:

" the gel packet containing the soup"

Soup?? Who washes dishes (or anything else, come to that) with soup?

SOAP!

Mar 24, 2011 at 04:11 PM Raphael_Kaufman Says:

Kim Says:

Neither can the average chassid

Mar 24, 2011 at 04:18 PM just another Yossi shmo Says:

Aren't these items reliably kosher certified ???

Mar 24, 2011 at 04:51 PM Anonymous Says:

just another Yossi shmo Says:

Aren't these items reliably kosher certified ???

Yes...for many yidden, the hashgacha from the New Square chassidim is considered reasonably reliable.

Mar 24, 2011 at 05:27 PM ChulentBean Says:

Oyyy Veyy Zmir !!! ?I use this brand the whole time! In fact i just bought a new pack.. So what brands can we use?

Mar 24, 2011 at 05:27 PM Anonymous Says:

I still don't get why if the batul bashishim means that we don't have to kasher the keylim that had been previously washed with this soap "capsule", it is assur for any future use. Either it is kosher or not.

Mar 24, 2011 at 05:47 PM leftbrooklyn Says:

reasonably?? It is either reliable or not.

Mar 24, 2011 at 05:48 PM Anonymous Says:

just another Yossi shmo Says:

Aren't these items reliably kosher certified ???

Not this product. Othe cascade products have an ou.

Mar 24, 2011 at 05:48 PM Anonymous Says:

zoup_mit_lukshen Says:

isn't this the equivalent Halacha to Bishul Akum or Pas Palter?

no. sorry.

Mar 24, 2011 at 06:33 PM Anonymous Says:

I guess with all the trouble we go through to maintain kashrus at home, the thought that many of us have been washing our dishes with pork fat-based soap, however small the amount, is very upsetting. I doubt anyone else cares but it bothers me.

Mar 24, 2011 at 08:49 PM just another Yossi shmo Says Says:

I was referring to the ActionPacs!!!!!!!

That being said, I was in the store and I noticed they are not certified. I spoke to a friend who is a mashgiach for a very LARGE kashrus agency and he told me I could use it (especially what I had left) because even if it was "trief," soap is a dovor ha'pogem so there is no problem there. Even if the "gel" was made from gelatin, there are MANY halochik reasons (yes, those in Shulchan Aruch!!) to allow it without a problem.

If anyone wants to be machmir on themselves for any reason, thats fine but it may be unnecessary to do so. I would suggest you speak to your posek who could hopefully give you guidance with this.

Mar 24, 2011 at 09:30 PM curious Says:

please dont compare soap or the utensils themselves, to gelatin.

I want to hear the voice of others on this. I have a feeling it might not be a problem as even treyfos are okay if the product went through a complete breakng down or shinuy. However, I would not use it until I hear my Rav on this.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:12 AM jojo Says:

I just put down the phone listening to the new interview on the Yiddish Hotline 'Kol Mevaser' (114 on the menu) where the Mashgiach Rabbi Gruber from New Square Kashrus explains that the Keilim need indeed be Kashered if possible. You can all listen to it on your own.

Mar 25, 2011 at 07:34 AM DB_from_LI Says:

ChulentBean Says:

Anything with a hechsher. These gel-pacs never had one. Just an FYI not all Finish products have hechsherim. some do not all.......

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:31 PM LibaRuchel Says:

I just called a Cascade representative. She read the ingredients of the packet to me, and said they may contain traces of animal products, even though they are mostly plastic. I always trusted Cascade to be kosher, and didn't even check for the hechsher on the bag. I was actually running a load in my meat dishwasher as I read the article, and am thoroughly disgusted.

Mar 25, 2011 at 01:18 PM oldschoolorthodox Says:

No wonder they are so tasty!

Apr 05, 2011 at 11:12 AM Kashrus Pro Says:

The bottom line here is that if you are concerned you need to ask your rov. I could tell you that in the mainstream kashrus industry this is not a problem. There is plenty to rely on that the gelatin is mutar l'chatchila since by nature it is nifsal. Anyone who knows how gelatin is made would understand. Granted we try and take the up and up so we dont accept non reliably certified gelatin. Soap by definition is from a fat and most fats are shmaltz. Soaps that have hashgocha such as the OU are not made from animal shmaltz.

Again, ask a shayla from a COMPETENT Rov but it should really not be a problem. And if you are concerned, dont use it again but dont make yourself mishiga!