Brighton Beach, NY - Television Shoot on Rosh Hashanah Angers Neighborhood Jews

Published on: October 1, 2011 10:31 PM
By: Read more at NY Daily News

Brighton Beach, NY - Jewish residentsĀ of are fuming that scenes for CBS’ new show “Person of Interest” are being filmed in their neighborhood smack in the middle of the new year.

“It’s just plain offensive to do this on a Jewish holiday in a Jewish neighborhood,” Adele Cohen, a Jew and former assemblywoman, said of the decision to allow “Lights, camera, action!” in her neighborhood during Rosh Hashanah.

It began shooting on Tuesday along Oceanview Ave. and the Boardwalk, between Brighton Fourth and 12thSts.

Warner Bros. Television, the studio producing the series, says it got a permit to shoot in the neighborhood weeks ago. The company has since donated money to a local community group and asked crew members to be mindful of the holiday, a company rep said.

“In no way was our intention to be disrespectful,” a company spokeswoman said. “We apologize for any inconvenience caused to the local community.”

“It’s upsetting,” added fellow Jewish resident Svetlana Manoim. “It’s not nice, but I guess everything is about money.”

Brooklyn, NY - Video footage, captured with a cell phone camera, shows a large number police officers manhandling a Jewish man who was trying to defend himself... New York ,NY - US stocks dropped more than two per cent on Friday as signs of slower growth spanning China, Europe and the United States, and the ongoing Greek crisis...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Oct 01, 2011 at 10:55 PM Velvel Says:

How many of those complaining actually went to shul? Answer: Very few. I attended services conducted by the great Cantol Pinelas along with the Leon Berger Choir who were superb. However, this 800 seat Brighton Beach shul was virtually empty.

Oct 01, 2011 at 11:48 PM shredready Says:

not sure why it is offensive

did they disturb anybody

Oct 02, 2011 at 12:03 AM Anonymous Says:

What are they complaining about? These are no yidden working and even if they were, its none of their business. There is no issur against watching a film being made by goyim on yom tov.

Oct 02, 2011 at 03:23 AM SherryTheNoahide Says:

Am I missing something here? (lol)

I'm assuming the camera crew are probably gentiles, no? I didn't think halachah (sp?) forbid gentiles working on holidays or Sabbaths, unless the land was *also* under Torah law as well? (In which case, employees- gentile ones- wouldn't be allowed to work or labor on those type of days either, correct?)

In any case... as long as the camera crew are respectful & don't bother anybody, I'm not quite sure how it's a *bad* thing to do a news piece on R'H' & to celebrate your culture with others (mostly gentiles) who live around you, but who might not know a lot about your religion, and all of the beauty that it contains within it! (:-D

Maybe I am naive in my thinking, and filming a news piece or documentary during a holiday is a "known" big no-no that I'm not aware of, and I'm just missing the bigger picture here, because well... I'm a little prejudiced after all!

I always see beauty in the Jewish holidays, so naturally I just assume ALL gentiles will want to learn about it... (lol)

But as long as the crew & production behind the project *themselves* aren't Jewish, I'm not sure where the error lies in doing the project itself.

Thanks!

Oct 02, 2011 at 04:04 AM thechef88 Says:

what Jewish neighbourshood? every store is open, and the synagogues are more than half empty.face reality, this WAS a jewish neighborhood.

Oct 02, 2011 at 07:37 AM Butterfly Says:

How do we know that the workers we not Jewish??

Oct 02, 2011 at 10:05 AM just the facts, ma'am Says:

SherryTheNoahide Says:

Am I missing something here? (lol)

Thanks!

Just an FYI, "Person of Interest" is not a news or documentary show, it is a new drama airing on one of the networks.

Oct 02, 2011 at 10:25 AM enlightened-yid Says:

Butterfly Says:

How do we know that the workers we not Jewish??

Even if the workers were Jewish it's not your business to control who does what in their lives. You want o keep shabbs and holidays, good for you, but others escaped Bnei Brak Talibanism because they want freedom.

Oct 02, 2011 at 07:59 PM SherryTheNoahide Says:

just the facts, ma'am Says:

Oh! Thank you! That clears things up a little bit! (lol) So it's a Tv show... not a news piece or a documentary. Gotcha!

Thanks! :-)

Oct 02, 2011 at 08:03 PM Darth_Zeidah Says:

This was Brighton Beach, not Bnei Brak. Brighton Beach is in secular America and not in Jewish Israel.

Get over it and move on.

Oct 03, 2011 at 08:59 AM Reb Yid Says:

Sounds like the people complaining were culturally jewish but not torah-minded. If the filming were being done on shabbos i doubt they would have said anything.

Oct 23, 2011 at 01:46 AM ELM Says:

The world does not revolve around them.It's a free country and if they didn't like it they should have just stayed home or stay in shul...that is what one does over a Jewish holiday anyway!.So sick of the complaining!