Richmond, VA - FBI: Jewish House Majority Leader's Family Threatened

Published on: November 3, 2011 07:02 PM
By: AP

Richmond, VA - A Tennessee man left profanity-laden voicemail messages at the office of House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, using an anti-Semitic slur and threatening the Virginia congressman’s family, federal authorities said Thursday.

Glendon Llewellyn Swift, 62, of Lenoir City, has been charged with threatening to assault or murder a member of the immediate family of a United States official.

The FBI said in an affidavit that Swift left two messages at Cantor’s suburban Richmond office the evening of Oct. 27, threatening to “destroy” the congressman, rape his daughter and kill his wife.

The caller shouted obscenities and slurs at the Jewish congressman, according to FBI special agent Nicholas Bultinck’s report. The agent said the calls, which together lasted a little more than five minutes, were traced to Swift’s cellphone.

Swift told the FBI on Wednesday that he “got drunk the other night and started cussing people out,” the affidavit says. Swift admitted making the calls to Cantor but did not remember threatening the congressman’s family, according to the report.

“Threatening to harm the family of a public official is a very serious charge, and we are grateful to the FBI and their law enforcement partners for their quick action in this case,” U.S. Attorney Neil H. MacBride said.

Cantor spokeswoman Laena Fallon said the six-term Republican had no comment on the threats.

Swift made a preliminary appearance Thursday before U.S. Magistrate Judge C. Clifford Shirley Jr., in Knoxville. A detention hearing was scheduled for Wednesday in Knoxville.

Nobody returned a message left by The Associated Press on a Lenoir City answering machine with a recorded greeting by a man who identified himself as Glendon, and court records do not list an attorney for Swift. He faces a maximum of 10 years in prison if convicted.

This is not Cantor’s first experience with threats. In April, Norman LeBoon of Philadelphia was sentenced to two years in prison after pleading guilty to posting a YouTube video in which he called Cantor “a liar” and “Lucifer” and threatened to shoot him.

___

New York, NY - In what could herald many such investor lawsuits, MF Global Holdings Ltd Chief Executive Jon Corzine and three other company executives were sued by a... New York, NY - At Island Smokes in New York City's Lower East Side neighborhood, customers sick of the highest tax on cigarettes in America are fighting back by rolling...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Nov 03, 2011 at 08:01 PM anonymous Says:

It is only the beginning . His philosophy of cutting Medicare and "entitlements" will hit hardest poor goyim and they look at him as a Jew and there is Corzine with more thievery. How long can you keep doing this with the false notions that you are immune. Jews are equalized to be rich and Madoff's wife appearance on 60 minutes did not help. Maybe you learn something from "survivors" who lived through antisemitism And it may break out here too

Nov 03, 2011 at 09:12 PM Sam Says:

anonymous Says:

For your info, Corzine is NOT Jewish. And Jew haters don't need a reason to hate or blame the Jews for all their troubles! Like that old Russian saying: if the water tap is dry the Jew drank it all up, if there is water then the Jew spit into it. So basically there is no pleasing the ant-Semite just try to orotect yourself.

Nov 04, 2011 at 07:35 AM Kzler Says:

Sam Says:

Having experienced Hitler and concentration camp I am a little more aware of virulent antisemitism however , we must not stoke or fuel the existing hatred. Super-conservativism will not save this lawmaker from the wrath and hatred. In Europe the Jews found out that the Westjuden, Ostjuden, the praying and non-praying all inhaled the same gas in Birkenau. Living by the golden rule, middle of the spectrum and consider all human beings valuable and no expandable should be the rule. This lawmaker is an extremist. Yes Corzine is not Jewish byut Madoff, Fuld is and so is the former CEO of AIG

Nov 04, 2011 at 08:47 AM yosefben Says:

Kzler Says:

B"H

I hope HaShem has allowed you some respite and peace over the years in light of your experiences. With all respect, I do beg to inquire why you consider Rep. Cantor is extremist? The current "rise' of antisemitism goes deeper than fiscal woes, it is part of a growing personality of narcissism and self adulation that many young people today are rife with. As I got older and became more observant I realize that many of my own views are not that dissimilar to Rep. Cantor but never have I thought of myself as anywhere near "extremist" as you call him so I am perplexed.

Nov 04, 2011 at 11:02 AM bigwheeel Says:

anonymous Says:

Just for the record. Corzine is not Jewish.

Nov 04, 2011 at 11:26 AM ALLAN Says:

Threats against elected officials must be taken very seriously with the full resources of the FBI and all police agencies used. Hate them , love them or disagree with them but one cannot threaten or due harm to our elected officials. This is not the American way. We vote people out of office. The United Staes Of America can not become a thirld world counrty where violence can decide who is in charge.

Nov 04, 2011 at 11:07 AM Kzler Says:

In the Yemen there is a minhag that at the seder at a certain point you put a container a load on your shoulder. Unfortunately we all should carry this invisible load. Mr. Cantor aligned himself with the Ayn Rand group which devided Americans into water carrier and weater users and designated some Americans as expandable or a burden to society. The OR in the best hospital is sterilized by ultraviolet method but there are manual tasks in the hospital, restaurant on the fields and many other places which are shrinking. In my work also retired the software has tremendous progress some are able to keep up and others are not. Mr.Cantor has aligned himself with a group of lawmakers who relegate some citizens to the non-viable group. He is so convinced of his Republican ideologue mentality that those who are at the margin look at him as that damn Jew and not the conservative majority leader of the Congress. Although I competely disagree with him I would pay for his intransigent ideologue mentality. The fact some jobs have disappeared and will never return despite all the republican malarkey of taken away regulations from business.

Nov 04, 2011 at 12:23 PM Kzler Says:

Yes , the ballot is the only means of firing him and threats must not be tolerated but as a Jew he should take into account klal yisroel over his runaway ambitions. I understand he also considered to be Presidential candidate. A Jewish person with the black box is dangerous to klal yisroel

Nov 04, 2011 at 12:07 PM SherryTheNoahide Says:

anonymous Says:

Wow "Anonymous".... I can see why you didn't feel you could print your real name on here! I wouldn't want to either, if I wrote what you just did!

I am a Liberal, who mostly votes Democratic, and I can't STAND Eric Cantor! I can't stand his demeanor, his smugness, his desire to cut Medicare, Medicaid & every other program that helps poor people (including many of the Yidden, right?), and everything else!

BUT....

There is NO EXCUSE FOR THIS!!! This kind of anti-semitism is very dangerous, it can lead to all sorts of violence, mistrust, anger... you name it!

And no matter how disgusted I might be w\a politician's policies... (even Bush)

I would NEVER wish harm on someone! I would NEVER want them to be shamed, embarrassed, harassed, etc. JUST because of their race, culture, etc. It's not right, and whoever did this evil deed does NOT represent the majority of Liberals that I know, who are totally against this sort of thing!

Most Liberals are open-minded, love people from all walks of life, etc! Hence, the term... "Liberal" (lol) We do not & SHOULD NOT ever behave this way! Ever!!!

Nov 04, 2011 at 03:46 PM Kzler Says:

I am an orthodox Jew who as a child went into concentration camp came out and kept my faith. Jewish is more broadminded and conscious where you go.
There is saying fools step where angles fear to go. In Hebrew there is saying [Perek] eyze chochom haroye eyz haneulad . His ambition can be detrimental to all Jews . You have to learn a lot my dear Noahnide. Jews must be conscious ofg their behavior that it should harm klal yisroel that is foremost

Nov 04, 2011 at 09:34 PM SherryTheNoahide Says:

Kzler Says:

Thank you so much for your post Kzler. I have so much respect for survivors of the Holocaust - I really appreciate you taking your time to comment back to me. Thank you so much! (:-D

I agree, that Cantor's ambition can & WILL be detrimental to a lot of his own brethren. But I really feel that whoever threatened him & his family is JUST as "guilty" as Cantor... if not more so!

I don't have to tell you about anti-semitism obviously. (How could I even dare to try?) But something has to be done! We (decent people, who love the Jewish Nation) need to find a way to speak out more about this sort of thing happening, before c'v' things turn violent or get worse!

In any case... I humbly agree with you that I still have much to learn. (lol) I am young, (32), and just left Christianity over 2 years ago to accept the Torah as Truth. And although I have studied my heart out (still do) & have listened to countless lectures, & asked millions of questions...

You are SO correct: there is still much for me to learn! Everything within Judaism it is so beautiful... but also very deep! Sometimes I don't even know where to begin!

Thanks again! And may G-d bless you!
Sincerely,
Sherry

Nov 05, 2011 at 07:39 PM Kzler Says:

Senators and Congress persons are advocates of the same sharp cuts "savings" in entitlements but the difference in they are not of the mosaic faith and they have not been vilified