Riverdale, NY - Orthodox Girl Named Rhodes Scholar Says She Hopes to Inspire Other Jewish Girls

Published on: November 20, 2011 02:32 PM
File photo- Miriam working at Camp HASCFile photo- Miriam working at Camp HASC

Riverdale, NY - In what may be a first, a 22 year old Orthodox girl from the Bronx was named as one of thirty two American students chosen as Rhodes Scholars for the year 2012.

Miriam Rosenbaum, a graduate of Elizabeth, New Jersey’s Bruriah High School and Jerusalem’s Michlalah College for Women is currently enrolled at Princeton University.

She told VIN News that she was shocked to receive a phone call after Shabbos informing her that she had been awarded the prestigious honor and said that she hoped to inspire other Orthodox young women to strive for great academic achievements.

Miss Rosenbaum is currently pursuing a degree in Public Policy at Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School and hopes to embark on a career in health policy, specifically as an advocate for the elderly and disabled and is no stranger to working with the disabled, having spent several summers working at Camp HASC.

“I think it is important for Orthodox Jews to be involved in academic institutions and for them to be out in the real world while continuing to be outwardly frum,” Miss Rosenbaum told VIN News.

Currently Miss Rosenbaum hopes to begin a year-long masters program in bio-ethics next October at Oxford University, the second oldest university in the world and the oldest English speaking university in existence.  Miss Rosenbaum’s expenses for the year will be paid for by the Rhodes Trust.

One of the most coveted awards in the academic world, the Rhodes Scholarship has been described as “the world’s most prestigious scholarship” by both Time Magazine and the Associated Press.

More than 7,000 scholarships have been awarded since the Rhodes Trust was established in 1902 with applicants between the ages of eighteen and twenty four submitting nine letters of recommendation, an essay and transcripts with demonstrating a high level of academic achievement.  Approximately eighty Rhodes Scholars are selected worldwide annually.

Princeton, NJ - People say money doesn't buy happiness. Except, according to a new study from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School, it sort of does — up to... Jerusalem - Israel's defense minister warns that a nuclear-armed Iran will become inevitable in less than a year. Ehud Barak told CNN in an interview aired Sunday he...

Nov 20, 2011 at 02:43 PM Darth_Zeidah Says:

This is wonderful news!

I hope I can speak for all VIN readers when I wish Miriam Rosenbaum a very hearty mazal tov, and I hope her parents get much nachas from Miriam in the future.

Let us hope that we will hear more good news about Miriam Rosenbaum in the future.

Nov 20, 2011 at 02:41 PM Meir Says:

Wow!!! Mazel tov

Nov 20, 2011 at 02:59 PM Anonymous Says:

Mazal Tov - you are making of all of klal yisrael very proud.

Nov 20, 2011 at 03:00 PM kvetcher Says:

Mazal Tov!!!!! Wishing you much hatzlacha in all your endeavors.

Nov 20, 2011 at 03:05 PM Anonymous Says:

Excellent! Dos is Yiidisha Nachas!

Nov 20, 2011 at 03:08 PM The Professor Says:

What a tremendous kiddush ha-Shem! May Miriam's parents and Klal Yisrael continue to shep much nachas from her. Kol Ha-Kavod!

Nov 20, 2011 at 03:19 PM Mike Says:

Mazel tov!

Nov 20, 2011 at 03:30 PM Kiddush! Says:

Mazal Tov Miriam! A huge Kiddush Hashem! Am Yisrael is very proud of you!

Nov 20, 2011 at 03:39 PM Kzler Says:

As a European born and survivor I agree with all six postings and hopefully there will be a few male candidates. Intellect from Rambam, to Rav Chajes in Vienna achieved the pride and we should continue such good news , I wish her to be matzliach. I earned my knowledge the hard way despite of concentration camp and my father A'H always had respect for a gebildete person, an educated person. Yes it is possible to navigate between Aristoteles and the Rambam even though almost between Scylla and Charibdis

Nov 20, 2011 at 03:44 PM Kzler Says:

It is a treacherous ride between Scylla and Charybdis, tricky but strong emuna can win and a pride to klal yisroel. The parents must be congratulated for their encouragement

Nov 20, 2011 at 04:21 PM WiseDude Says:

Excellent and wonderful news. We need more of this in the frum world! Mazel Tov!

Nov 20, 2011 at 05:04 PM enlightened-yid Says:

Mazal Tov, another success story of Modern Orthodox communities. Hopefully some day this will inspire educators in non M.O. world to focus more on improving quality of secular education in their yeshivos so they too open paths and opportunities for their people.

Nov 20, 2011 at 05:04 PM Anonymous Says:

Blessed with brains, this young, Jewish Orthodox woman also displays courage and self-assurance in pursuing secular achievement in a present-day social environment where other, similarly gifted women all too often electively underachieve in fear of fashtering their shidduchs. Miriam is to be congratulated as a role model for all young Jewish women. Lucky is the young man who steals her heart !! Mazal tov the the entire Rosenbaum mispachah and to Klal Yisroel represented by Miriam! Miriam - may you continue to rise from chayill to cayill and be a continued source of nachas and inspiration to Am Yisroel.

Nov 20, 2011 at 04:49 PM Yossi Says:

The Rhodes Scholarships owe their origin to the remarkable vision expressed in the Will of Cecil J. Rhodes. He dreamed of bettering the lot of humankind through the diffusion of leaders motivated to serve their contemporaries, trained in the contemplative life of the mind...

Nov 20, 2011 at 04:49 PM Queenbee Says:

Wow, a Bruriah high school kid! I am so proud of her. I met some Bruriah High school girls a few years ago and was so impressed by them so was excited to read that it's a Bruriah girl.
Mazel Tov and wishing her lots of success!!

Nov 20, 2011 at 04:33 PM Kzler Says:

WiseDude Says:

WiseDude my hat off to you , with the help of the eiberishter and my wife's diligent encouragement my son has a degree from Applied Physics Lab and I am proud. Yes there are many more bright intellects withering away and depending on section 8, food stamps and other federal handouts instead of academic achievement

Nov 20, 2011 at 07:20 PM Anonymous Says:

Kzler Says:

And there are plenty of MA's and PhD's out there also looking for work and subsiding on section 8 and food stamps - in case you've not read the news.

Nov 20, 2011 at 07:50 PM harryw Says:

May I ask please ? But don't get affended. Why is this yidish nachas as some have labled it or a big kidish hashem as others tried to portray it. To me, this is secular nachas and a personal joy but in no way related to yidish nachas, sorry to share my opinion with you guys but that's what it is.

And to those who jump out of their skin when someone jewish achieves a secular milestone. They use the opportunity to bash the orthodox community for being deprived of a secular education. Guess what, the success rate amongst chasidim is higher then of the modern orthodox community. That's a fact that will leave you scratching your head.

Nov 20, 2011 at 08:30 PM Phineas Says:

harryw Says:

How do you define "success" and on what statistics do you base your assertion that the "success rate" is higher among chasidim than another demographic.

Nov 20, 2011 at 08:34 PM Anonymous Says:

harryw Says:

You don't see the value in secular education? Well that is evident via the incorrect spelling of the word "offended".

"Guess what, the success rate amongst chasidim is higher then of the modern orthodox community"

Success in what? Statistical proof please?

But in general, why one thinks that having a secular knowledge does not mix with yiddishkeit is the real problem. Rambam studied medicine and science. We have Doctors and lawyers and nurses and many other fields within our communities that are contributing because of the wonderful education they received. This girl will be contributing to society in a most productive and positive way. If you can not see an inherent value in that then I feel bad for you.

Also, define modern orthodox. I only see this wonderful girl as being "orthodox". Why are labels necessary and where is your line between modern and not?

Nov 20, 2011 at 08:41 PM Kzler Says:

Right now Siemens is looking for engineer, there are opening in biomedical engineering, there are openings for reaearch scientists in MIT , applied physics labs maybe not financial finagling but in the sciences there are opening. I have a field although retired I can have plenty of work. It depends what your skill is.

Nov 20, 2011 at 08:48 PM Kzler Says:

Fool I davened in the concentration camp and risked my life and some others topo. You should be ashamed my grandchildren are fine except you have slipped and your are off. Not knowing and I hope I never meet you don't who I am and your posting is a sign of prost behavior

Nov 20, 2011 at 08:56 PM Anonymous Says:

You need help. My father is a holocaust survivor - ad meah vesrim shana very well and alive. His father had a reputable business as a Belzer chasid in Munkatzch which also dealt with non-Jews. All my father's children (my siblings and I) are college educated and we are all Orthodox even though one is in Bnai Brak and one went to Philly, Mir and Lakewood and another is Bnai Akiva, etc... How dare you equate the concept of "good Jews" with that of what a Holocaust survivor hoped for or expected out of children and Grandchildren. You have a very narrow view of this world and yiddishkeit and what it truly means to be a "good Jew". Get your head out of the sand and open your eyes.

Nov 20, 2011 at 09:28 PM RachelJD Says:

Good Heavens, a young frum woman achieves a prestigious honor and there are those who criticize this because it is a secular and not a yiddish nachas. PLEASE stop this ridiculous in-fighting. If you do not want to let your children learn or excel at secular subjects that is your fundamental right and leave others alone to exercise their fundamental right to control the upbringing and education of their children.

Nov 20, 2011 at 09:58 PM Anonymous Says:

Kzler Says:

The Applied Physics Lab is a research facility associated with JHU. Do you mean he has a degree from Hopkins??

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:31 PM Babishka Says:

Wow, mazal tov to this young lady and her parents and family should be very proud of her accomplishment!

My daughter, a fine Hasidishe woman is in graduate school at Columbia University. She really wanted to go to medical school but felt that she could not accomplish that and also raise a large family. However she is in the field of medicine.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:36 PM יש אמונה-אין דאגה Says:

enlightened-yid Says:

Modern orthodox? I'm semi-modern

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:57 PM SherryTheNoahide Says:

Wow! Good for her! This is wonderful news! Her parents must be so proud!

(:-D

Nov 21, 2011 at 07:21 AM Anonymous Says:

The shliach in Oxford is great. She'll have a strong Jewish social & religious life. And FYI my husband & I are graduates, with degrees & my husband has a VERY prestigious & specialized career B"H. I have my own business. We have raised a frum, Chassidishe family & made beautiful shidduchim with "chosheve" families (whatever that means) despite our secular education.

Gee. Imagine that. Frum AND educated. A shanda, no? Miriam is to be congratulated for her commitment to education AND to her faith.

Nov 21, 2011 at 07:25 AM qazxc Says:

RachelJD Says:

I agree with your comment but I cannot help wondering - do you have the same reaction when the chareidim are criticized for deciding AGAINST secular education for their children?

(My children receive 'black hat' yeshiva/bais yaakov educations and graduate level secular education, so the question is not one of personal concern, asked rather out of my distaste for the my-way-or-the-highway approach I sense in many quarters of both sides of the current installment of this age-old debate.)

Nov 21, 2011 at 07:53 AM Kzler Says:

You are right don't go to college instead slouch off the socialistic leftist Hussein Obama programs like section 8, food stamps and all other federal assistance. My father davened in Vienna in the Belzer Klaus in the Lilienbrunngrasse and most Belzer chasidim were in business and some did very well here inn N.Y.on 47th street. Rashi had a vineyard, the Rambam was a doctor and then lo and behold there was R" Yochanan h'sandler. It is not torah observance but lazy schnorrer type mentality. In college you must achievde grades, must submit turn papers and you have mid-semester tests none of this exist in the Yeshiva. Yes after concentration camp with my wife's encouragement I went to college, my average 3.5. Shame on you who belittle education and rather be schnorrers

Nov 21, 2011 at 08:07 AM Kzler Says:

His father graduated cum laude from Ghetto Litzmannstadt[Lodz] and Buchenwald, different studies and tests dear anonymous

Nov 21, 2011 at 09:37 AM WiseDude Says:

Kzler Says:

"turn papers" ? You must mean "term papers." You really went to college and got a 3.5? There are too many phonies on the internet.

Nov 21, 2011 at 09:53 AM Phineas Says:

harryw Says:

If CHasidim are doing so much better than modern orthodox, why is it the chasidim coming into modern orthodox communities to collect for their mosdos and not the other way around. You are right harryw, you have left me scratching my head.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM ellymiller Says:

that is amazing. this is the 3rd rhodes scholar to come out of an Elizabeth Yeshiva. #1 daniel kurtzer attended the JEC mesivta high school and went on to become US ambassador to israel
#2 Chaim Strauchler attended the JEC mesivta high school and now works as a rav in canada
#3 miriam rosenbaum from bruriah

all of these schools are under the leadership of Rav E.M. Teitz

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM Kzler Says:

WiseDude Says:

I don't have to be a phony and at my age and 40 years of federal service grandchildren there is no need to lie ,matter of fact I refrain from making entries

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM Kzler Says:

The Rambam was fluent in Arabic and Greek and read Aristoteles

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:41 AM Kzler Says:

Rav Hutner A'H had a college degree

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:31 PM Anonymous Says:

Kzler Says:

there's always that one self-hating Jew who will issue this type of statement. FYI there are people with degrees on the wall who cannot pay their rent or groceries!

Nov 21, 2011 at 01:13 PM Buchwalter Says:

You don't know me and confirm the saying ighnorance is bliss and you are in very high state of bliss. The selfhating Jews arew those fine "conservatives" who decry socialism but live off of section 8, food stamps and other welfare programs and you seem to be one of them

Nov 21, 2011 at 01:20 PM KZLER Says:

yes in psychology and financial services since computers now generate most stock sales but no in the sciences whether medical or mechanical

Nov 21, 2011 at 01:26 PM FredE Says:

Of course. But the point is that your chances of supporting yourself decently are much, much better if you have a college degree then if you don't. It amazes me how many charedi types ignore or minimize the following statistic: The average salary of a college graduate in America is about 70-75 percent higher then that of a high school graduate. And we Jews are not immune from that fact. Simply put, if you are capable of getting a college degree and forego that because of .. whatever...you are *most likely* resigning yourself to a much lower standard of living. Nothing is for sure.. but them is the stats. BTW, depending on the field, getting a masters usually pays off handsomely as well.

Nov 21, 2011 at 02:25 PM Kzler Says:

FredE Says:

You cite statistics instead stam talking and even in the dire economy my son has friends with masters and they found jobs

Nov 22, 2011 at 05:40 AM qazxc Says:

I'm fairly certain the MO have not lost any sleep over your not being one of them.

By the way, if the MO don't give tzedaka, why are the MO shuls of NJ and LI visited by chasidesheh collectors every Sunday morning?

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM Phineas Says:

You make no sense. I did not say all CHasidim are poor or that ll modern orthodox are rich (this is where an education helps). I said that Chasidim collect for their mosdos from the Modern Orthodox. That is not stereotyping. It's an observable fact in KGH, the 5 Towns, Teaneck/Bergenfield, Silver Spring, Monsey, etc. Modern Orthodox (HAFTR, Ramaz, Frisch, SAR) do not go to Chassidishe houses in Boro Park to collect.

The rest of your post is anectodal, irrelevant and, quite frankly, incomprehensible.

Also, I am not modern Orthodox but I did grow up that way so I think I have a better idea of both sides of the coin. Mordern Orthodoxy is in fact dying out. That in no way lends credence to your representation that Chasidim give more tzedaka or are more successful. The one thing you said about modern orthodox not giving tzedaka really delegitimizes your whole position b/c for all of the problems with modern orthodoxy, and there are many, the communities are incredibly generous.

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:35 PM Phineas Says:

My great grandfather was the Rosh Yeshiva of Radomsk in Cracow. He has told me about the Chasidim back then. You were not raised chassidish, you were just raised to identify yourself as chassidish. Real Chasidism is practiced in few places nowadays.

Nov 22, 2011 at 01:37 PM FredE Says:

This whole thread about whose religion flavor is best... Charedi or Chasidish or MO is beside the point, and a bit immature. The point should be that everyone who possibly can should get college educated. You dont have to call yourself Modern Orthodox to get educated.

I wrote a post the other day that explained Rav Ahron Soloveitchik ZL's view on secular/academic accomplishments, and it seems to have been lost. His view was that every secular accomplishment is but a magnifier of one's Torah and Yirat Shamayim. But you need the underlying Torah and Yirat Shamayim to begin with
or you have nothing. And the corollary is that if you only have that, and forego serious secular education, you are discarding real potential, and that is a waste.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:59 AM Anonymous Says:

Phineas Says:

how much is the average tuition in a modern orthodox school? thats why they dont need to collect.......the birth rate in mordern orthodox greatly depends on the amount of income the couple earns- which i have heard first hand from many Mo couples....the schools dont care if teh ppl can aggord it or not therefore couples are forced to keep their family size to about 3-4 children tops...secondly the tzeddaka they give can barely be considered tzeddaka...the rich shuls and organizations they support do not fall into the category of tzeddaka....
and pls dont attack me or my education as you dont know me. if modern orthodoxy is so great why didnt you stay modern orthodox. your aggressiveness and overconfidence is something that belongs on that side of the street. instead of sitting here trying to fix everyone and stick up for modern orthodoxy which you claim you left...why dont you take out a siddur or tehillim or better yet apoligize to all the chassidim you offended with your dumb ignorant comments. typical MO attitude......you can try to leave modern orthodoy but the modern orthodox mentality will NEVER leave you....and it stinks like sour poultry.

Nov 24, 2011 at 01:04 AM Anonymous Says:

qazxc Says:

yes and how much do they give? $3.OO? Most nodern orthodox ppl have no hasaga of tzeddaka and most dont even tithe....why dont you start checking your records to see if you give maaser befor you start bashing chassidim....modern orthodoxy is the biggest religious hypocrisy....of course they didnt lose sleep they are too selff absorbed to even think....

Nov 24, 2011 at 02:38 PM qazxc Says:

I greatly admire your ahavas yisrael.

So tell me, if the MONTH give so little, why do the collectors keep coming back, week after week?

And you need to do a better job keeping track of who wrote what.

You responded to my comments with an attack against MONTH which you claim I left. Wrong person. I never said I was ever MO, not that I'd be ashamed of it if I were born into a MO family, but I wasn't.

Nov 24, 2011 at 02:41 PM qazxc Says:

Wow, what nasty things to say about so many kasherer yiddin!

Writing that made you feel real frum, didn't it?