London - Mayor's Bid to Keep Charedim Fitter

Published on: December 1, 2011 11:29 PM
filefile

London - Strictly Orthodox Jews are being encouraged to take up kayaking, football and a range of fitness activities as part of a new scheme aimed at making the community healthier.

Charedi communities have set up sports groups and exercise sessions through the Maccabi GB Enable Project, which uses funding from Mayor of London Boris Johnson.

Around £12,000 has been awarded so far, with 500 people doing more exercise and taking part in a wider range of activities as a result. The money is targeted at hard-to-reach parts of the community, where strictly Orthodox Jews would usually not take part in mixed-sex groups or cross-community sessions.

Interlink’s Melanie Danon said: “This project is giving people opportunities to access activities they have not used before because they cannot use outside centres for religious and cultural reasons.”

Maccabi’s Daniel Morris added: “It is a part of the community we wanted to be more involved in working with, but we have always found it hard to make good contacts. Doing it this way has been a perfect match for everyone.”

Mitzpe Jericho - Oded Hamdi, a 19-year old yeshiva student, was killed in a trailer fire shortly after midnight on Friday in Mitzpe Jericho, near Jerusalem. His... Washington - Although Israeli Jews might not be the best bet for electoral college votes in the upcoming US presidential elections, President Barack Obama’s popularity...

Dec 02, 2011 at 08:51 AM Avreich1 Says:

The fellow in the picture (which rebbe does he follow, by the way?) has clearly eaten many more portions of good cholent that were good for him.

A gut shabbes to all!

Dec 02, 2011 at 09:32 AM SherryTheNoahide Says:

Oh brother! Why put a picture of a fat non-Jew next to the article?! (lol) I'm not sure where VIN was going with this... but oh well I guess! (:-D

Dec 02, 2011 at 10:02 AM BrainsoverBrawn Says:

SherryTheNoahide Says:

Because if you would look on your block or in your shul, you probably would find frum people who look the exact same (but with a yalmukah). It pains me to see little children, coming home from yeshiva, who are 200 pounds easily. It disgusts me that their parents weigh in at over 300. Yeshivos should force students to take daily walks or exercise during their break. (Please don't take a walk to the ice cream store, that defeats the purpose- I have seen this happen).
There is no excuse not to take care of yourself- Ushmartem meod es nafshoseichem--- Obesity has been found to be a precursor for fatal diseases! Heart issues, diabetes ect. I am not an exercise fanatic, but do believe that there is no excuse not to try to take care of yourself! (Overweight is not obese. I am referring to obesity).

Dec 02, 2011 at 10:19 AM Anonymous Says:

SherryTheNoahide Says:

I hate to break it to you, but that picture could be of someone Jewish. Not all Jews wear black suits & white shirts...some of us wear t-shirts, polo shirts, Oxford shirts, blue jeans, chinos...well, (I hope) you get the picture

Dec 02, 2011 at 06:09 PM SherryTheNoahide Says:

Oh of course! I realize that!

But it just seemed to me to be a funny picture to choose, when talking about obesity w\in the Jewish community! (lol)

But yes... I know not every Jew is a "black hat" Jew!

Thanks!