New York - Increasing Kâvod Shamayim
New York - In the past few days as tensions have escalated in Eretz Yisroel, and more so after the grotesque and deplorable use of Holocaust imagery in last nightâs protest, we have been inundated by hundreds of emails from Jews worldwide asking for a positive manner in which they can channel their frustration and pain at the extraordinary Chillul Hashem unfolding before our eyes.
The goals for any possible initiative as expressed by our readers were that it:
1) Condemns the violence in Israel in an unequivocal manner
2) Expresses support for the overriding genuine Torah value of Derachea Darchei Noam (The path of the Torah is one of pleasantness)
3) Creates a teaching moment for us to speak to our children and students about the horrible effects of intolerance and violence, and the importance of tolerance and Shalom
4) Conveys our solidarity with the peaceful citizens of Beit Shemesh
5) Offers a venue to convey a clear message to the worldwide media that the vast, overwhelming majority of our community members are diametrically opposed to the actions and mindset of the protesters
Several ideas have been proposed, and we would appreciate the input and suggestions of our readers in possibly developing a plan that would accomplish these goals.
Perhaps the most practical, effective, and inexpensive effort might be to designate a specific time this week for community-based Tefillah programs around the world. This way, dozens and perhaps hundreds of communities can participate at work, in shuls and schools.
It is our hope and prayer that the positive energy generated by an effort we develop together will usher in a spirit of respect, restraint and tolerance among Hashem’s diverse children.
Our daily Sheâmoneh Esrei ends with a prayer for peace, since we refer to Shalom as an all-encompassing blessing. May our pursuit of Shalom generate Hashem’s endless Brachos upon us all.
More of today's headlines“Jordan - The Jordanian government will host a meeting between Israeli and Palestinian negotiators this week, bringing the sides together for the first time in more than...” Jordan - Israel, Palestinians to Meet for First Time in More Than a Year “New York - An off-duty federal law enforcement agent who died while confronting a pharmacy robber was picking up his elderly father's cancer medication, a New York...” New York - Slain ATF Agent Was Getting Dad's Cancer Meds