Atlanta, GA - Jewish Newspaper Apologizes for Obama Assassination Scenario; Secret Service Investigates

Published on: January 21, 2012 06:23 PM
By: Creative Loafing Atlanta / Guardian

Atlanta, GA - The owner of a Jewish newspaper in Atlanta has said he deeply regrets writing a column suggesting that Israel consider “a hit” on Barack Obama if he stands in the way of the Jewish state defending itself.

Andrew Adler told the Guardian he wrote the column in the weekly Atlanta Jewish Times “to get a reaction” from the paper’s readers.

“The headline for the column was: ‘What would you do?’ That’s what I wanted to see,” he said. “It’s got like a Dr Phil reaction: what were you thinking? I feel really bad it did that.”

The column, first brought to light by Gawker, asks readers to imagine that they are the Israeli prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, confronting the threat posed by Hezbollah and Iran’s nuclear programme while also under pressure from a US president with an “Alice in Wonderland” belief in diplomacy over force.

Adler lays out what he says are the three options available to Netanyahu: attack Hezbollah and Hamas; defy the US – which is willing to let “Israel take a lethal bullet” – by striking against Iran’s nuclear facilities; or a third option.

“Three, give the go-ahead for US-based Mossad agents to take out a president deemed unfriendly to Israel in order for the current vice-president to take his place, and forcefully dictate that the United States’ policy includes its helping the Jewish state obliterate its enemies,” Adler wrote in a column that appeared in print by not online.

“Yes, you read “three” correctly. Order a hit on a president in order to preserve Israel’s existence. Think about it. If I have thought of this Tom Clancy-type scenario, don’t you think that this almost unfathomable idea has been discussed in Israel’s most inner circles?”

Adler went on to ask: “How far would you go to save a nation comprised of 7 million lives – Jews, Christians and Arabs alike? You have got to believe, like I do, that all options are on the table.”

Adler said he understood why readers might interpret his writing as suggesting that Israel is seriously considering assassinating the US president but that is not what he meant.

“I don’t advocate anything,” Adler said.” “I don’t preach anything. Wasn’t calling for action, anything like that… Do i regret writing it and how I did it? Very much so and I apologize to anyone who took it differently. But in no way shape or form do I support the overthrowing [of the country] in order for Israel to do its thing.”

“No, no, no. It’s unfathomable, unthinkable,” he said, adding: “I’m definitely pro-Israel to the max.”

He says he hasn’t heard from any law enforcement officials or the Secret Service about the column.

But Secret Service spokesman George Ogilvie said the agency is “aware” of the incident. “We’re conducting the appropriate investigative steps,” he told FoxNews.com

New York - A few inches of snow coated the Northeast on Saturday in a storm so rare this season in the East that some welcomed it. "We've been very lucky, so we can't... New York, NY - As much as six inches could fall in some places overnight and early Saturday. Alternate side parking in New York City has been suspended citywide to...

Jan 21, 2012 at 06:35 PM Rachel W. Says:

Shavua Tov. Disgusting piece of journalism. Irresponsible. He should have kept his thoughts to himself.

Jan 21, 2012 at 06:49 PM Anonymous Says:

it's a real shame for all Jews in the U.S. that such an Idiot call himself a Jewish News Editor.

it's real Hisharus Be'umos.

We all Jews in the U.S. have to pray for the Freedom of our Nation and be Glad that we can live here like a Jew. Freedom to our Jewish Religion.

Jan 21, 2012 at 06:52 PM Chaim Says:

Subscribers to the paper should cancel their subscriptions and advertisers should boycott the paper. This paper should be driven into bankruptcy.

Jan 21, 2012 at 06:55 PM Joe Says:

The article is despicable and hurts American-Israeli interests. you can forget about Pollard ever getting out after this despicable article.

Did Ami magazine write the despicable article?

Jan 21, 2012 at 07:38 PM anonymous Says:

Adler is the epitomy of bigoted arrogance ran amok and a mortal danger to Jews

Jan 21, 2012 at 07:50 PM Mark Levin Says:

As much as I despise the actions of our Food Stamp President & I do not believe he was really calling for it sounded like, this person is a moron of the highest caliber.

Jan 21, 2012 at 08:01 PM PashutehYid Says:

What a disgusting thing to write, whether you are republican or democrat. What a chillul hashem for a Jew to write anything violent against an officer of our country.

Jan 21, 2012 at 08:05 PM Anon Ibid Opcit Says:

The phrase "Bad for the Jews" is so understated as to be actually dishonest here. This idiot deserves every bit of grief he is getting from the Secret Service and any jail sentence he gets for it. As an editor, even the editor of a stupid little rag like his, he should know that advocating and threatening the assassination of the President is a crime. Worse than that, it gives anti-Semites and Israel-haters every bit of ammunition they could hope for.

His lame non-apology is so transparently bad it makes the whole thing worse.

Here's hoping Chabad and all Jews roundly condemn this fool.

Jan 21, 2012 at 06:28 PM Anonymous Says:

I suggest they take this yid out and "shoot him"...this is beyond belief. Whether he printed such a statement to stimulate readers, as a joke or was serious, it doesn't matter. I'd love to see the government put him away for a long time.

Jan 21, 2012 at 08:23 PM anonymous Says:

Hopefully American Jews will never experience the screaming hordes in Vienna, the SA and SS beating and killing Jews and the eerie flames from the chimney in Buchenwald which I exprienced. Adler is the utmost irresponsibiity and idiocy I ever encountered

Jan 21, 2012 at 08:38 PM Anonymous Says:

The so called Editor of that newspaper should be prosecuted for making written threats against the President of the United States; such actions are a federal felony, punishable by many years in a federal prison. In this day and age, the Secret Service is not going to take such threats lightly. Also, all of the various Jewish organizations and community leaders should condemn that individual in the strongest terms.

Jan 21, 2012 at 08:49 PM Hershl Says:

CNN and many other websites are now being flooded by thousands of anti-Semitic comments saying, We told you so!!!

They are crowing that we now have evidence of the evil Jews and Israel attempting to destroy America by assassinating our president.

Adler, with a few strokes of his computer keyboard, has damaged the standing of American Jews and Israel more than all the Arab propaganda for sixty years.

And Chabad, where he is a congregant, is still silent.....so far.

Jan 21, 2012 at 08:53 PM Yellow Cab Says:

I hope they arrest the nut job

Jan 21, 2012 at 09:37 PM Anon Ibid Opcit Says:

Chabad needs to speak up loudly and quickly. They should have done it before, but it's not too late.

My fear is that if they do it will be another passive-aggressive apology along the lines of "I'm sorry the goyim feel this way. It's too bad they just didn't understand."

Jan 21, 2012 at 09:42 PM Yoel Says:

Hershl Says:

And Chabad, where he is a congregant, is still silent.....so far.

what's chabad got to do with this? Just because he chooses to daven there doesn't make them responsible for his actions. Give me a break.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:40 PM Kzler Says:

I stood twice on selection in Lodz, I survived Buchenwald and worked for 40 years in a professional job for the fedeal government. I and other boys had a minyan in Buchenwald. I am now ashamed for being a Jew. G'd forbid, chas v'sholem if there is an attempt on the President dou realize the consequences. I disliked the Neturei Karta but I think they are wise

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM shredready Says:

the aryan nation and other anti semitic groups will have a field day with this.

Does he own the paper if not he should be fired now.

Obama may be naive to think that he can talk negotiate with the Arabs but he still supports Israel with money and weapons

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM Anon Ibid Opcit Says:

Yoel Says:

He's one of their congregants. If they don't condemn him they will rightly be seen as endorsing his message.

Consider what would happen if he prayed at an American mosque and said this. If the people who ran the mosque didn't disavow him and his message they would be branded as terrorists. It's exactly the same.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM Anonymous Says:

Yoel Says:

Correct. Let's face it, the situation was reversed when Obama sat through 20 years of bigotry from Rev Wright. Did he stand up & protest ? He sat there & took it & probably agreed with it all! This wasn't CHABAD speaking it was a moronic congregant. Would you be screaming for Young Israel's blood if he davenned there?

# 14, you're as big an idiot as this guy who wrote this article. And a bigot as well.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM Avreich1 Says:

I just cannot believe the sheer, short-sighted, and uttterly undiluted idiocy of this man.

He has given American anti-Semites, of every political color, enough ammunition to last them for the next decade.

Try as one may to 'dan lekaf hazchut, it is just impossible.

Although one can always say "G-d bless America", today we have to say "G-d save American Jews" as well.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM clear-thinker Says:

If the person davened at a Young Israel I would hope that the Shule would distance itself from the Congregant. Why is number 14 a bigot? Why do you want to defend the undefensible? In my opinion the editor was wrong in playing out this scenario. Not everyone you disagree with is a bigot. Not everything you believe is correct.

Jan 22, 2012 at 01:01 AM Clear-thinker? NOT! Says:

clear-thinker Says:

So I guess if we Googled we will find 100s of condemnations made in the past few years by so many frum Shuls/Yeshivois/Kollels condemning the oh-too-many members of their Shuls/Yeshivois/Kollels who did wrong?
Try it and let me see what you find.
I haven’t seen any of them and I am talking about ppl who DID really bad things… you want a condemnation for really stupid writing?
And you call yourself “clear thinker”?
Oy, what hatred does to people… You and that stupid editor suffer from the same problem - hatred.

Jan 22, 2012 at 01:10 AM clear-thinker Says:

Kzler Says:

A person who has suffered and been as brave as you should not now be ashamed for being a Jew. The editor of the newspaper was, at best, a fool. As to NK your original view is correct. They are anything but wise.

Jan 22, 2012 at 01:23 AM clear-thinker Says:

Clear-thinker? NOT! Says:

Try it and let me see what you find.
And you call yourself “clear thinker”?

Why do you think I would not be upset at the oh-too-many members of Shuls/yeshivois/kollels who did wrong? The shules who allow criminals to remain are wrong. The yeshivois who protect pediphiles are evil. A shule that does not condemn the type of article written by one of its congregants is wrong.
If this makes me a hater so be it. Your attitude that if some Shules didn't object when their members did terrible things makes this all right leaves me cold. That you think my attitude is wrong gives me no pause other than to feel bad for you.

Jan 22, 2012 at 01:32 AM The-Logician Says:

a. I despise Obama and I think he wouldn't shed a tear if Israel G-d Forbid will disappear. At the same time, I think the person who wrote that article is a total moron. What a dangerous fool to write such things.

b. To two of the commentators here who appear determined to try to streeeetch this story and use it to smear other people: get a life. Nice try. Talk about being anti something. Wow, you clearly are. Actually, shame on you for that.

Jan 22, 2012 at 03:53 AM Tuvia Says:

Wow... although I consider myself a "rounder" at times and have had a crazy thought or two, I can't say that any of my crazy thoughts can even hold a candle to this man's insanity.

He should resign from his position as an editor. The jig is up for him.

Jan 22, 2012 at 07:39 AM yonasonw Says:

Despicable; I'm afraid it's merely an extension of the often baseless crescendo of frum attacks on the President. These folk cry antisemitism at the drop of a hat, but act like we own the country...nebuch

Jan 22, 2012 at 07:47 AM anonymous Says:

clear-thinker Says:

This editor because of his "alleged" devotion to Israel would bring a calamity on American Jewry chv''v and the NK focuses wrongly but does not the American Yishuv. Yes I have suffered a lot and I am very appreciative for having had the opportunity to work in a professional job and keeping Yom Tov, shabbes and even earning religious comp time for the short Fridays and Yom Tovim and earning a good salary. It is sad American Jews don't realize how well they are integrated without going to the baptismal font, have glatt kosher affairs in White House, etc. Maybe I have better vie having grown up in a country where the cruxifix was on alll hospital walls, government office walls and produced the most virulent and barbaric antisemitism. I hope Jews realize religion belongs in home, stiblach and yeshives and not in the white house

Jan 22, 2012 at 01:19 PM to: Ibid Opcit and others Says:

clear-thinker Says:

I want to officially “distance” myself from all those ppl who demanded that Chabad "roundly condemn this fool" and "distance themselves" from this editor.
It is now clear that neither the paper nor the editor has or ever had anything to do with Chabad, so I assume that we will see an apology by all of those who demanded Chabad “speak up loudly and quickly” and “distance” themselves from this paper and writer.
I am sure that the “clear thinkers” will do the right thing and apologize to (or admit that they hate) Chabad.
V’HaEmes’ V’HaSholom…

Jan 22, 2012 at 01:44 PM marcia Says:

It's amazing how low someone will go to get more subscribers!

Jan 22, 2012 at 02:35 PM clear-thinker Says:

to: Ibid Opcit and others Says:

V’HaEmes’ V’HaSholom…

Hate Chabad. No. Apologize because this particular Chabad Shule seems to have no problem with an editor who writes this dangerous dribble. No. I await for you and others to realize that shules should take a stand against wrongdoers. Especially when those wrongdoers daven next to them on Shabbos.

Jan 22, 2012 at 02:41 PM Anonymous Says:

marcia Says:

It's amazing how low someone will go to get more subscribers!

It is SO very shameful.
Why isn’t such repugnant writing illegal?

Jan 22, 2012 at 03:14 PM clear-thinker? NOT! Says:

clear-thinker Says:

A little investigation, such as a simple phone call to Chabad of Atlanta or the newspaper, would have confirmed that the paper is entirely independent, and, the author of the article, has absolutely no connection to Chabad whatsoever!
Can’t you read? Neither the paper nor the stupid and repugnant editor has or ever had anything to do with Chabad.
Now what do you want from Chabad?
You will hold on to your false beliefs just to criticize Chabad. Direct your anger to the paper and writer not to Chabad who has NOTHING to do with this guy or his paper.