Minneapolis, MN - Orthodox Jerusalem Girl Stuck In Minnesota Desperately Seeks "Living" Kidney Donor

Published on: May 13, 2013 05:18 PM
15 Yr. old Sara Zalaznik (far right) has a rare kidney disease that requires a living donor, and few people are a match in Israel15 Yr. old Sara Zalaznik (far right) has a rare kidney disease that requires a living donor, and few people are a match in Israel

Minneapolis, MN - Stuck in what her doctors are calling an “urgent window,” a 15 year-old Israeli girl remains in Minnesota after a potential “living” donor for her much needed kidney transplant was disqualified at the last minute.

KARE 11 (http://kare11.tv/10mhmYz) is reporting that 15 year-old Sara Zalaznik and her mother, Dassi, flew to Minnesota from Israel last week with what doctors initially thought was a suitable donor, only to have the donor disqualified for compatibility reasons during surgery prep.

Due to her rare disease, a kidney transplant for Sara requires a “living” donor, more specifically a healthy man or woman with blood types A or O, no chronic kidney, liver of lung diseases, and between the ages of 18 and 40.

Now Sara and her mother Dassi are stuck in Minnesota, where doctors are cautioning against starting Sara on dialysis because it will “weaken” her body, making it more difficult to “accept” a new kidney.

Washington - The Justice Department secretly obtained two months of telephone records of reporters and editors for The Associated Press in what the news cooperative's... Washington - When members of Congress repeatedly raised concerns with the Internal Revenue Service about complaints that Tea Party groups were being harassed last year...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

May 13, 2013 at 05:21 PM smart Says:

how sad!! may she have a complete and speedy recovery.
Whats her and her mothers full name?

May 13, 2013 at 05:24 PM Debz Says:

Can someone tell them to contact RENEWAL @ 718 431 9831. I'm sure if anyone can help, it's this fabulous organization. Hatzlocha!

May 13, 2013 at 05:31 PM Phineas Says:

There must be some kind of Jewish organization to step in

May 13, 2013 at 05:53 PM TexasJew Says:

Hashem Yeracaim.

May 13, 2013 at 06:19 PM Aryeh Says:

Hashem should help her to find someone with a big enough heart to give her a kidney!

May 13, 2013 at 08:21 PM Benny Says:

Let Hashem send her Refuah shleima bkorov!

May 13, 2013 at 06:30 PM Facts1 Says:

Phineas Says:

There must be some kind of Jewish organization to step in

RENEWAL @ 718 431 9831

May 13, 2013 at 06:55 PM wsbrgh Says:

smart Says:

how sad!! may she have a complete and speedy recovery.
Whats her and her mothers full name?

It looks like Surah bas Dassi. I'm sure HaShem will hearken to our prayers with that name.

May 13, 2013 at 07:47 PM ab111 Says:

I would like to help them w/ a donation if there in need
maybe a site should be created for them
and Hashem will us helping them

May 13, 2013 at 08:04 PM Anonymous Says:

Who do you contact if you may be a potential donor?

May 13, 2013 at 08:26 PM Brian Says:

I implore all you readers to consider kidney donation (I implore you to just consider it, not even to do it...). It's such a mitzvah and most people don't consider it because they think there are huge difficulties involved.

I never thought I would ever donate a kidney to a stranger but I did after I realized that it's a small laparoscopic surgery and you only need one kidney to live a 100% healthy life (each kidney has approximately 120% capacity of what the body requires). I did the surgery on a Thursday morning, was discharged from the hospital Friday morning (the next day), and was at shul Friday night and didn't end up using any of the vicodins (strong pain killers) prescribed as just two doses of extra strength tylenol did the trick. It is really that easy for many (though everyone reacts to minor surgery differently, the above was my experience and not that unusual).

Just call the 'Renewal' (a previous commenter provided the number) if you would consider donating. They answer all questions with great patience and they don't pressure you to donate (in fact they advise people not to donate unless the prospective donor is positively sure that he/she wishes to donate.

May 13, 2013 at 09:08 PM 5Towner Says:

Where can I send a donation... My heart goes out to this family

May 13, 2013 at 09:19 PM Anonymous Says:

Who do you contact if you may be a potential donor?

RENEWAL. Don't wait. I'm outside the age limit (by a long way) but a young friend just donated her kidney to a perfect stranger, a frum woman. I am in awe!

May 13, 2013 at 09:25 PM Anonymous Says:

Who do you contact if you may be a potential donor?

My baby granddaughter has a kidney problem. B"H they think it can be easily rectified through surgery but when I read this young lady's story I am fearful. I pray she finds her refuah through a donor immediately & that my granddaughter doesn't have to go through this suffering. May all suffering be removed from alle Yiddishe kinder mamash now.

May 13, 2013 at 11:01 PM jack-l Says:

First a refua shelaimo min hashamayim for sura bas dasi.and rachamim for her family.
Now to the esteemed editors of this site. A question .. Could VIN set up a central clearing house for possible organ donors and a tel. web site for info ? i am not a computer expert but it shouldnt be too difficult.However if you cant then pls just keep posting the names and numbers, which readers i am sure will forward, keep allowing these comments and we will figure it out. ourselves You could help if every so often you put it back on page one. There are org. in other jewish cities so ljust post the info.
Pls take advantage of this incredible display of achdus just before shavuot and help us help this yidishe neshomo..
Now that would be a kidush hashem.
Lets try.

May 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM Conscience Says:

Im willing todonate a kidney i am
Type o

May 14, 2013 at 06:08 AM kidney2010 Says:

I wish I had another kidney to donate

May 13, 2013 at 10:53 PM enlightened-yid Says:

Is it a complicated process to establish compatibility between donors and receivers? It's heartbreaking that a family takes on an expensive journey to another country only to be told minutes before surgery that there are compatibility issues.

May 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM Balaboos Says:

wsbrgh Says:

That would be Sorah bas Hadassah....(Dassi is probably short for Hadassah)

Refuah Shelaimah!!

May 14, 2013 at 03:48 AM friend1 Says:

Thank you all for your concerns and kind words, and especially thank you to Brian for comment #11. There truly is a big need for kidney donors and anyone healthy and willing to do it is really giving life! The family is definitely in contact with renewal and they are helping with the search. Anyone from the east coast interested in helping should certainly contact Renewal and they will contact the hospital in Minneapolis if they think it is a possible match. Thank you all!!! Tizcu L'mitzvos.

May 14, 2013 at 04:10 AM mugsisme Says:

Brian Says:

Wow! I have thought of it. my neighbors daughter needed a kidney a few years ago, and she asked me for my HLA typing. It got me thinking. (I was not a match at all.)

I truly admire someone who can go all the way through with it. Yasher koach!

May 14, 2013 at 06:07 AM kidney2010 Says:

Could not agree more with Brian! I donated my kidney 2 yrs ago to a young girl , I left hospital 2 days after surgery and was back in work 5 days later.Those of us who donate are simple people not hero's.
Please consider donating it will change your life for the better.

May 14, 2013 at 08:35 AM ModernLakewoodGuy Says:

I know this would not help in her case, but if more people would register to be donors on their drivers license, there would be hundreds of not thousands of people saved each year who otherwise die while on the waiting list.

May 14, 2013 at 09:57 AM Brian Says:

ModernLakewoodGuy Says:

You are factually incorrect about hundreds of thousands because [if my memory serves me well] only a tiny fraction of people who pass away have organs that are salvageable for transplant and typically the only people that can have their organs salvaged are people who die from sudden trauma [in car accidents, murder etc.], but it is certainly true that if a million people register to donate post death, a small portion of them will have organs eligible for transplant to patients on the waiting lists. I guess one could always ask their rov and follow the hadracha given.

May 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM impartial Says:

the article lists criteria for potential donor but no way of someone who may qualify getting in touch with the family. such information would prob be quite helpful

May 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM Materetsky Says:

ModernLakewoodGuy Says:

Except it's against halacha to do that.

May 14, 2013 at 05:50 PM jack-l Says:

friend1 Says:

you seem to know what is going on . my question is what about canada eg toronto
i am toooooo old but what can we do to help??
a refua shelaima and shavuos should bring good news!

May 16, 2013 at 08:36 PM newtransplant Says:

People should be aware that a transplant is not always a lifelong thing and more transplants may well be needed along the way. I am on transplant #2 thanks to my mother and my first lasted 17 years. Back then 10 years was considered average.
I understand so well this girl's wish to keep it secret - when I was first diagnosed with kidney failure my classmates wouldn't allow me to play any strenuous games, they were afraid.......... I do hope she gets a donor very soon.

May 17, 2013 at 05:52 PM KidneyMitzvah.com Says:

Who do you contact if you may be a potential donor?

To test, call the hospital donor line - 612-672-7270