Paris - Israeli Man Jumps To His Death Off Eiffel Tower

Published on: June 25, 2012 02:04 PM
By: AP

FILE - French soldiers patrol near the Eiffel TowerParis - A 25-year-old man from Israel jumped to his death from the Eiffel Tower after thwarting security measures and climbing the Paris monument at twilight, authorities said Monday.

The man, who was not publicly identified, mounted the tower’s western pillar after it was closed to the public Sunday night, a Paris police official said. The man was approaching the third-level observatory deck of the tower, at 276 meters (906 feet), when rescue climbers made it to the scene, the official said.

The rescue climbers starting talking to him but then he jumped, landed on the tower’s second floor and died on impact, soon after midnight Monday, the official said. The official was not authorized to be publicly named because of police policy.

“He jumped into the air. ... It was not an accidental fall,” Paris prosecutor’s spokeswoman Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre said. She said he was born in Israel and had an Israeli passport. It is unclear whether he was a tourist.

The tower was open as usual Monday after the incident. The company that manages the 324-meter- (1063-feet-) high tower says it was the first suicide there in two years. The company said such incidents are very rare but would not provide historical figures for how often they occur.

Some 7 million people visit the Eiffel Tower every year.

Washington - President Barack Obama's statement reacting to the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on the Arizona immigration law: "I am pleased that the Supreme Court has... Ankara, Turkey - Turkey's deputy prime minister says Syrian forces have opened fire on a second Turkish plane that was searching for the wreckage of a jet earlier shot...

Jun 25, 2012 at 02:09 PM Anonymous Says:

HaShem Yerachem! What terrible news.

For what it's worth, I am at a loss to understand how the poor man managed to do such a thing. I have visited the Eiffel Tower several times, and I found the security arrangements to be otherwise excellent.

Jun 25, 2012 at 02:33 PM MAYERFREUND Says:

Is it permissible al pi halocho to do this? Did he consult with a rabbi?

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:00 PM Davetherave Says:

MAYERFREUND Says:

Is it permissible al pi halocho to do this? Did he consult with a rabbi?

you are kidding? right?

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:00 PM JerusalamiKugel Says:

MAYERFREUND Says:

Is it permissible al pi halocho to do this? Did he consult with a rabbi?

yes he left a letter stated he got a psak din- are you serious or just a idiot?

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:05 PM Nebach Says:

MAYERFREUND Says:

Is it permissible al pi halocho to do this? Did he consult with a rabbi?

Your Heartless!!

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:06 PM Avreich1 Says:

MAYERFREUND Says:

Is it permissible al pi halocho to do this? Did he consult with a rabbi?

אם הטיפשות הייתה מחלה כואבת אתה כל החיים שלך היית בגבס

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:17 PM maxedout Says:

JerusalamiKugel Says:

yes he left a letter stated he got a psak din- are you serious or just a idiot?

"are you serious or just a idiot"
he is a serious idiot. its not the computers that need filters, its the idiots at the keyboard.

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:37 PM Nachum Says:

To #2- You are one sick, depraved individual, making such derogatory comments, following this tragedy. The deceased was someone's son. Even before his levaya, you are engaging in such horrible comments!

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:38 PM ConcernedMember Says:

Comment #2, whether serious or not, comes off as making light of a tragic situation and is in very poor taste. Suicide is not funny. Ever.

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:40 PM The_Truth Says:

MAYERFREUND Says:

Is it permissible al pi halocho to do this? Did he consult with a rabbi?

He got the same psak from his Rav, as you did before you posted here.

Jun 25, 2012 at 04:36 PM MAYERFREUND Says:

To all you bashing me. After all I made no comments but only asked a question and you all got so upset about it. The mishne in avos says "ve'loi habashen lomad" some one who is ashamed to ask will never learn. This is exactly what I did and it was intended to the one who will give an answer but you all instead of giving me an answer you made fun of me. You know what, I love it that you got upset and I am waiting for more of the same. so please keep it up you angry people I enjoy what YOU do.

Jun 25, 2012 at 04:06 PM BLONDI Says:

nebach....so sad.

Jun 25, 2012 at 04:32 PM BoroParkLitvish Says:

MAYERFREUND Says:

Is it permissible al pi halocho to do this? Did he consult with a rabbi?

I have never been so disgusted in my life by a comment as I am with yours!!

Jun 25, 2012 at 05:19 PM A Nonnymouse Says:

MAYERFREUND Says:

"so please keep it up you angry people I enjoy what YOU do. ”

Don't worry; we will.

Jun 25, 2012 at 06:23 PM Chamor HaDor Says:

Why are we ALL playing into #2's follie? Just ignore him, he'll go away. I promise...

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:51 PM Stickpick Says:

Y don't they give out the name?
a) not all israeli citizens with Israeli passports are Jewish.
b) at least we could confirm his Jewish identity thereby giving him Jewish burial and
c) saying tehillim for him.

Jun 26, 2012 at 02:45 AM Alfred E Newman Says:

#16 HIs name was Mr Mayerfreund

Jun 26, 2012 at 04:07 AM A N Other Says:

MAYERFREUND Says:

Please do not feed the troll.

Jun 26, 2012 at 09:10 AM BLONDI Says: