Berlin - German Chancellor Merkel Re-Assures German Jews On Circumcision Ruling

Published on: August 26, 2012 12:06 PM

Berlin - Despite a Cologne district court ruling which declared that the practice of circumcision in Germany is illegal, German Chancellor Angela Merkel has sought to re-assure German Jews that they will still be allowed to continue performing circumcisions.

Haaretz writes (http://bit.ly/QG6tYy) that Merkel’s aide, Dr. Rudolf Teuwsen, head of the Liaison with Churches and Religious Communities Unit at the Chancellor’s office, has sent a letter to Menachem Margolin, Director of the Rabbinical Center of Europe, saying that the “German government sees a special obligation to nurture the Jewish culture and religion.”

He added, “The German chancellor is grateful for the fact that the Jews have once again found a homeland in Germany. Thus, the German government sees a special importance in this issue, and is working intensely to reach a proper and swift solution to the issue of religiously-motivated circumcisions.” Dr. Teuwsen also noted that, “religious freedom is an essential component of our democratic society and there mustn’t be a doubt regarding this issue.”

Jerusalem - Israeli police say they have arrested three Jewish youths from a West Bank settlement as suspects in firebomb attack that wounded six Palestinians in a... Sydney, Australia - A 30-year-old unsolved case involving the bombing of two Jewish targets in Australia is getting a second look in the hopes that new technologies will...

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM judith Says:

She is a good woman.

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:01 PM Buchwalter Says:

judith Says:

She is a good woman.

You are correct and a smart one too and highly respected in Europe and Natanyahu lectured her and then demands more Dolphin class submarines. Israel still has a big debt in its treatment of the shoah victims

Aug 26, 2012 at 04:22 PM ProminantLawyer Says:

I hope she does the same for the Euro economies!!!!

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:29 PM Anonymous Says:

Germany can never repay the debts of the Shoah. Just the fact that the descendants of the Nazis YMS are even thinking of banning milah is enough for me to stop buying anything made in Nazistan. I never bought any major items made there, but now I have stopped buying even so much as a tube of hand cream made there or made by German companies abroad as well. (Nivea in particular should be avoided as Beiersdorf is a stolen Jewish firm - so is AEG.)

Aug 26, 2012 at 08:41 PM Michoel Says:

If you have indeed decided to stop buying all things German because a handful of judges on one district court ruled this way in a case invoving a Muslim boy and a non-Jewish doctor, then you are an idiot. As are all the other people who keep posting similar comments on any story related to this matter. A nation of tens of millions, most of whom were born decades after the Shoah and who had nothing to do with this lone court's ruling -- and we act as if the Gemans all want to ban milah.

Aug 26, 2012 at 08:58 PM SherryTheNoahide Says:

I don't blame you for being concerned! They tried to ban it here in the States too (well, just in San Fran, but still!), and circumcision is important religiously not just for Jewish individuals (although for them, I would argue it's essential!), but Muslims & Christians also circumsize their children too! At different times, but it's still very important to a LOT of people.

The fact that people are seriously trying to ban it, gives even a Noahide such as myself cause for concern, because to me, the ban signifies a much deeper "issue" that these people have against the procedure.

It's not just that they're trying to "save babies from harm". Please! They could care less about Jewish babies! Let's get real here! This is all about attacking ANYTHING remotely Jewish if you ask me, not to mention is a total affront to Democratic principles & religous freedoms!

I sincerely hope that if people continue to try to ban it...that there will be an even bigger crowd rising up against them in dispute! We cannot allow the small-mindedness of a few, to curtail a rite-of-passage that has belonged to your people for thousands of years!

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM Howard Says:

SherryTheNoahide Says:

Sherry, you mean well, but you're as hyper-hysterical about this as some of the know-nothings here who attack any non-Jew (as well as Obama, whom I know you like). As a comment above noted, this was the decision of ONE district court. Every Germam political figure of note condemned it and pledged to make sure this won't amount to circumcisions being banned. So please don't give the screamers who comment here any kind of moral support.

Aug 27, 2012 at 02:54 PM Kzler Says:

Maybe you should make proof of the Jewish origin of AEG. Far worse is the irony that I saw a VW and the license plate reasd "Bubby" . Volkswagen is a Hitler creation. How many fine bearded and black hat wearing Jews are driving Mercedes and it is the same company which produced cars for Hitler. I know of Jews , of course tzitzis outside driving BMW[Bayerische Motorenwerke] the same car driven by Himmler when he checked on the Ghetto Litzmannstadt. The Israeli navy has Dolphin class submarines produced in Kiel by the Howaldtwerke, propulsion system by Siemens and navigation system by Elibit a fine Israeli company. Four have been delivered and are now operational and two more will be delivered[pressure by Natanyahu on Merkle] of course suibsidized by reparations and two were handed over free. Of course cholov yisroel is available in Germany. Now anonymous is that a good cheshbon.

Aug 27, 2012 at 05:23 PM Buchwalter Says:

AEG[Allgemeine Eliktrizitaetsgesellschat] in 1933 contributed a large amount of money to Hitler