New York, NY - Weight Loss Groups Back City's Sugary Drinks Plan

Published on: September 4, 2012 11:38 AM
By: AP

Mayor Bloomberg announces Weight Watchers and leading weight loss organizations support city’s anti-obesity proposal. September 4, 2012 (Photo Credit: Spencer T Tucker)New York, NY - Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig and other diet groups said Tuesday they are supporting the city’s proposed crackdown on super-sized, sugary drinks, adding prominent weight loss groups’ influence to the campaign ahead of a vote next week.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Weight Watchers North America President David Burwick announced the groups join a list of physicians, elected officials and others who have come out in support of the plan.

“There has been a lot of discussion about obesity, but little action, which is why we at Weight Watchers support what this administration is doing to help New Yorkers live healthier,” Burwick said. Along with his organization and Jenny Craig, the creator of the South Beach Diet, the founder of The Best Life and other diet experts expressed their support.

Opponents, too, are counting their ranks: An opposition group called New Yorkers for Beverage Choices said Friday it has the backing of more than 2,000 businesses and 201,000 individuals. Some City Council members have criticized the plan, which isn’t scheduled to come before them for a vote.

The proposal is set to go to a Sept. 13 vote at the city Board of Health. Its members are appointed by Bloomberg.

The proposal call for restaurants, movie theaters, sports arenas, food carts and delis to stop selling sodas and other sugary drinks in servings larger than 16 ounces.

Bloomberg says the proposal is a sensible way to fight obesity in a city that spends billions of dollars a year on weight-related health problems.

“Our proposal for reasonable portion sizes won’t prevent anyone from buying or drinking as much soda as they want,” he said Tuesday, noting that people could choose to buy more than one cup or bottle.

“But it will help people keep from inadvertently taking in junk calories” just because a beverage is jumbo-sized, the mayor said.

“New Yorkers are smart enough to decide for themselves what to eat and drink,” said Eliot Hoff, a spokesman for New Yorkers for Beverage Choices.

New York City also bars artificial trans fats from food served in restaurants.

Sullivan County, NY - Monticello police were called to the Fialkoff’s bungalow colony on Waverly Avenue on Sunday evening after two men reportedly tried to run down... Rostock, Germany - For the second time in two months, the Jewish cemetery in Kroepelin, Germany has been vandalized. According to German newspaper Schweriner...

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:01 PM shredready Says:

this is stupid one can just order two drinks. educate people about the calories in drinks. but that might not help anyway. people do what they want to do people still smoke

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:15 PM Londoner Says:

It's darned hot today in old London town so, in order t quench my thirst and to keep my fluid levels up, I bought a large soft drink in a paper cup.

I had not paid any attention to the sales person when I was asked which size I wanted, so you can imagine my surprise when she pushed a 75 centiliter cup across the counter. I drank as much as I possibly could, but there was still a good third left behind that I could not finish.

How Noo Yawkers can drink a 32 ounce soft drink at one go is totally beyond me!

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:47 PM Mark Levin Says:

Londoner Says:

How Noo Yawkers can drink a 32 ounce soft drink at one go is totally beyond me!

British fool what you are....

We drink the 32oz drink & THEN we go!!!

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:37 PM The_Truth Says:

"Opponents say the city is overstepping its authority and infringing on personal freedom."

As long as my tax money is going to pay medical bills for obese people and all other related ailments, I have a right to have a say how to limit the causes.
Why is it not infringing on MY personal freedom that I have to pay for stupid peoples ignorance.

To Mr Bloomberg - please continue to legislate healthy food & drink initiatives.

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:37 PM shredready Says:

Londoner Says:

How Noo Yawkers can drink a 32 ounce soft drink at one go is totally beyond me!

32 try the super gulp at 7 11 it is 64 I think

Sep 04, 2012 at 03:06 PM MidwesternGuy Says:

The_Truth Says:

You are aware that some people still have privately finded health care, are you not? Or maybe you only want to limit choices for people who have publicly funded healthcare?

This claim is the very reason that the Federal government wants to take over all of healthcare. That way, they can limit everyone's freedom in ways far more sognificant than a few mere ounces of drink.

Please think before you give up all of your freedoms in the name of cost savings. Just wait till you see how the government planners will take more and more freedom away.

Sep 04, 2012 at 06:06 PM The_Truth Says:

MidwesternGuy Says:

While I am held responsible to pay for others healthcare, I feel I should be responsible for their health.
If you are on private healthcare - by all means smoke & drink until the cows come home - but dont then send me tzedoka envelops saying you cant afford the medical bills.

Sep 04, 2012 at 06:08 PM Londoner Says:

Mark Levin Says:

British fool what you are....

We drink the 32oz drink & THEN we go!!!

Thank you, Mark Levin! That really made me laugh out loud.

Sep 04, 2012 at 06:10 PM Londoner Says:

shredready Says:

32 try the super gulp at 7 11 it is 64 I think

Nah, that's way above my pay grade.

(I was going to type something else, but then I thought of the VIN sub-editor's delicate upbringing ... )

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:10 PM gitgezogt Says:

If ur playing the "I pay taxes so I have a saying" card I suggest u use it for something more important