New York - Jewish Org. Rejects J Street Membership Bid

Published on: April 30, 2014 09:45 PM

New York - After a lengthy and thorough process, the full membership of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations convened to consider the application for membership submitted by J Street.

The process included three meetings of the Membership Committee, including one at which representatives of J Street made a presentation and answered questions. Membership Committee representatives held additional meetings with J Street representatives.

After a full discussion, a vote was held. J Street did not receive the affirmative vote of two thirds of the fifty member organizations as required by Conference rules.
Robert G. Sugarman, Chairman, and Malcolm Hoenlein, Executive Vice Chairman/CEO of the Conference issued the following statement.

“The Conference meticulously followed its long established Process and Procedures Guidelines in considering J Street’s application. We thank Rabbi Vernon Kurtz, Chairman, and the members of the Membership Committee for their dedicated service.

A two-thirds affirmative vote of the member organizations is a significant threshold.

Some present member organizations did not initially achieve the necessary support but subsequently re-applied and are now members.

The present membership of the Conference includes organizations which represent and articulate the views of broad segments of the American Jewish community and we are confident that the Conference will continue to present the consensus of the community on important national and international issues as it has for the last fifty years.”

Brooklyn, NY - Just hours after a suspect was arrested for the January murder of 39 year old Menachem Stark, Assemblyman Dov Hikind had harsh words for those who... Toronto - Toronto Mayor Rob Ford will take a leave of absence to seek help for substance abuse, his lawyer said Wednesday, as a report surfaced about a second video of...

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:10 PM Anonymous Says:

thank G-d; hopefully they close the organization

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:47 PM Anonymous Says:

This is a group of the very limited seeking to be the very unprepared. If you want to be a jew and support Israel, clearly AIPAC is perfect for all professional interests. A clear call and a good one.

Vos Iz Neias News is continuing to do a great job on the front of jewish solidarity. I am very glad we have this freedom to post on a public forum. Clearly our futures are in the hands of human voice and liberty when human suffering can be tabulated for better hope.

Clear the days of your values against the worry of time. There is always time for better hope.

Never Again.

May 01, 2014 at 01:13 AM Anonymous Says:

Never Again.

I don't need you to tell me if I'm a good Jew, if I support Israel, or how to think. AIPAC is a propaganda organization that I refuse to support. I am not afraid to face the facts that Israel is not perfect, that not all Palestinians are terrorists, and that Israel treats them quite poorly. I support J Street and will continue to do so because I am not afraid of the truth, even when it hurts. You can choose to live like an ostrich, with your head in the sand, but many of us understand that there will be no peace until both Jews and Palestinians face the uncomfortable truths that we tend to ignore. There must be a two state solution if Israel wishes to remain a Jewish nation. The alternative is to have a disenfranchised Palestinian majority, which is a recipe for disaster. Instead of shutting out dissenting voices, you and AIPAC should be in favor of discussion. The fact that you are not is quite telling.

May 01, 2014 at 08:22 AM HappyOlah Says:

#3 - J Street criticizes Israel. Fine. But it never criticizes her enemies. Israel is not going to commit suicide just to make liberal affluent American Jews feel smug and clear-conscienced. Israel is my home. My son is in the army. I have a stake in Israel's peaceful existence. I want peace. I crave peace. But in the absence of peace, I want security. Why does J Street (and you, by extension) want to endanger me or my children with misguided and reckless impulses? Come here so you can see what I'm talking about! Stay in Sederot and run for cover as the rockets fly. There were no rockets when Israel was in Gaza.

May 01, 2014 at 10:16 AM ShechitaWatch Says:

The Pres Conf, AIPAC and Jewish Feds in general are, and continue to be, unrepresentative of American Jewry. And we wonder why the majority of American Jews do not join or relate to the "organized" Jewish community.
It is interesting that Abe Foxman, no fan of J Street, felt that J Street should be included in the umbrella organization.
The Pres Conf members feel threatened by J Street, an institution they could easily out-vote on any and all issues brought before the Pres Conf. But J Street reflects the thinking of its members - the next generation of young American Jews, something none of these other organizations can claim. By voting down J Street membership, these organizations demonstrate their weakness and irrelevance, not their strength.

May 01, 2014 at 12:01 PM ayoyo Says:

Who are the founders and funders of J Street. What ever they propose is against the security of Israel Why cant our reporters tell the world what a phony organisation it is.

May 01, 2014 at 01:23 PM Anonymous Says:

HappyOlah Says:

That is not true. You are getting your information from AIPAC and not from J Street. They have condemned Hamas and terrorism, are cautious about the reconciliation between Fatah and Hamas, and repeatedly say that Israel's security must be maintained. J Street urged the EU to list Hezbollah as a terrorist organization and condemned chemical weapons use in Syria. Before you criticize, perhaps you should go to their website and read about their positions for yourself. You might find it is not what you've heard. As commenter no. 5 has correctly pointed out, the older, entrenched establishment organizations do not represent the young generation. Younger people get their information from many sources and are quite well aware of what is happening in the West Bank. With the availability of cell phones, people are documenting the incidents that are occurring under the occupation and we now cannot and should not deny any injustices that are committed by Israel and Israeli citizens. Sorry, but I was raised to think we are better than this and that any Jew who breaks the law shames the rest of us.