Albany, NY - State Launches Investigation Into Ambit Energy After Hundreds Of Consumer Complaints

Published on: May 4, 2015 01:40 PM

Albany, NY -  New York State Consumer Protection Board has launched today an investigation into Ambit Energy, one of the largest competitive energy companies in the State.

The investigation was prompted by a noticeable spike in customer complaints in recent months filed against Ambit, primarily over higher-than-expected charges on electricity bills.

“Department staff has already determined that some customers may not have received proper notification at the end of their contract term and in other cases the company may not have calculated the rebates to guaranteed savings customers accurately,” said Audrey Zibelman, Chief Executive Officer of the NY State Department of Public Service.

“The staff also has concerns over the apparent lack of renewal notices, customer disclosure statements, as well as Ambit’s practice of moving people off the guaranteed-savings plan into a variable rate plan that had significantly higher rates than the utility.” Zibelman added.

Ambit said they are cooperating in the investigation.

The Department of Public Service’s Consumer Advocate is leading the investigation into Ambit’s activities. The Consumer Advocate ensures that regulated energy, telecommunications and water utilities, as well as third-party service providers, such as Ambit, adhere to Commission rules regarding the customer services.

Energy service companies such as Ambit are required to comply with the Department’s Uniform Business Practices (UBP) to sell natural gas and electric services in New York. Failure to comply with the UBP may result in a variety of measures, including the State Public Service Commission revoking a competitive energy provider’s eligibility to serve customers in New York.

Ambit customers who believe their rates were not accurate are encouraged to file a complaint with the Department. Customers can file a complaint via the following link: www.dps.ny.gov/Consumer_Complaints.html

The Department closely monitors the number and types of complaints received against all utilities and energy service companies operating in New York State. The Department ensures that utilities and energy service companies fulfill their obligations to provide effective customer service in compliance with the laws, rules, regulations and policies that the Department enforces.

Consumer complaint statistics can be found on the following web page. http://goo.gl/GcMrPP

Colorado Springs, CO - A video taken by a Colorado Springs man during a March traffic stop has gotten more than 30,000 views on YouTube and is the subject of a Colorado... New York - A federal prosecutor says the arrest of the New York Senate leader is more proof that public corruption is a chronic problem in the state. U.S. Attorney...

May 04, 2015 at 02:59 PM Anonymous Says:

I remember when this was the hottest thing. Yungerlit were calling me day & nite to buy ambit. And they all had torahs why this one is not a scheme. They sent me videos from an educated YU guy even. I warned them all then. I told them don't kid youself it's a scheme. Yoy are better off getting yourslef a normal stable job then this nonsense. They all laughed at me. Now what? Maybe one of you former ambit sellers can comment?

May 04, 2015 at 03:38 PM RebKlemson Says:

ambit was too cheap to advertise so they forced the world to annoy their friends and family on their behalf. stupid pyramid scheme. ambit is more expensive than con edison

May 04, 2015 at 04:48 PM Anonymous Says:

Sorry no offense but your comment has nothing to do with what the post is all about, and for the comment itself with all due respect you are very wrong! A lot of people make money with ambit and its totally legit

May 04, 2015 at 06:09 PM #1 Says:

Firstly, most of the ambit sellers I know no longer make money from it. Secondly, as you see they raise prices on consumers in subtle unnoticed ways. i too was a consumer at one point. Yes I told the guy trying to get met to sell that I have no problem using them if it helps you with a parnasa. But i ain't selling. Guess what they slowly raise your price. This on top of the almost impossible complex utilitiy bills that I already recieve. Lastly if people still do make money I guarentee that in five years from now they won't. All these things are scams.

May 05, 2015 at 12:15 PM Realist77 Says:

The sure thing about any of these multi level marketing "businesses" is that you will lose friends.