Welcome, Guest! - or
Easy to remember!  »  VinNews.com

Chicago, IL - Fire Breaks Out In Famed Chicago Skyscraper

Published on: November 21, 2015 08:37 PM
By: AP
Change text size Text Size  
Windows are seen missing from the 50th floor of the John Hancock Center after a 2-11 alarm fire was extinguished by firefighters in Chicago, Illinois November 21, 2015. ReutersWindows are seen missing from the 50th floor of the John Hancock Center after a 2-11 alarm fire was extinguished by firefighters in Chicago, Illinois November 21, 2015. Reuters

Chicago, IL - Authorities say a fire that broke out about halfway up the John Hancock Center, one of Chicago’s tallest skyscrapers, has been put out. Five people were injured.

Flames and thick smoke poured out of an east side window on the 50th floor Saturday. Authorities said the fire did not leave the residential unit where it began but the apartment was gutted and other residents on the floor would be displaced. The Fire department said the fire was accidental.

Advertisement:

The iconic 99-floor building also has offices, shops and an observation floor popular with tourists.

The Fire Department’s media office tweeted that of the injured, two were in good condition and three were stable. A spokesman couldn’t immediately be reached to provide details.

Firefighters conducted floor-by-floor searches to ensure people were safe.

Firefighters stand near the entrance of the John Hancock Center after extinguishing a 2-11 alarm fire on the 50th floor in Chicago, Illinois November 21, 2015. Five people were injured, none seriously, on Saturday in a fire that sent flames bursting out of windows from a residence on the 50th floor of the Chicago's famous John Hancock Center, according to the Chicago Fire Department. The fire broke out on the east side of the 100-story building in mid-afternoon and was quickly extinguished by responding firefighters, according to tweets by the Chicago Fire Department. REUTERS/Joshua LottFirefighters stand near the entrance of the John Hancock Center after extinguishing a 2-11 alarm fire on the 50th floor in Chicago, Illinois November 21, 2015. Five people were injured, none seriously, on Saturday in a fire that sent flames bursting out of windows from a residence on the 50th floor of the Chicago's famous John Hancock Center, according to the Chicago Fire Department. The fire broke out on the east side of the 100-story building in mid-afternoon and was quickly extinguished by responding firefighters, according to tweets by the Chicago Fire Department. REUTERS/Joshua Lott


More of today's headlines

Bronx, NY - A baby was cut from the womb of a 22-year-old woman who was nearly nine months pregnant by a childhood friend with a knife, and the suspect was arrested on a... Hebron - On Saturday, the Israeli military raided a Palestinian radio station in Hebron and confiscated equipment it said was being used to broadcast calls to attack...

 

Total0

Read Comments (0)  —  Post Yours »

1

Sign-in to post a comment

Click here to sign-in.

Scroll Up
Advertisements:
Sell your scrap gold and broken jewelry and earn hard cash sell gold today!