Williamsburg, NY - Nuchem Rosenberg: They're Out to Kill Me

Published on: November 18, 2008 07:32 AM
By: NY Daily News

Rabbi Nachum Rosenberg said he has received death threats from the Jewish community for opening a help line for victims of sexual abuser.Williamsburg, NY - A Brooklyn Rabbi who has been outspoken about child molestation in the city’s ultra-Orthodox Jewish community said yesterday he’s been targeted with death threats.

Nuchem (Nathan) Rosenberg, 58, complained outside the 90th Precinct in Williamsburg that cops have ignored his pleas for help since the summer.

The threats were so frightening, Rosenberg said, that he closed down a hotline he had set up in February 2007 for victims of abuse.

“And I am still afraid for my life, even though the hotline is closed, because they are still after me,” Rosenberg said.

The NYPD confirmed that Rosenberg has gone to cops three times since July but said there is little they can do.

The threats came after a rabbinical decree, in the form of flyers written in Hebrew, popped up across Williamsburg in August calling him a liar, Rosenberg said.

“If you see him, scream [dirty Jew], [evil person], [immoral] & spit on him,” read one text message sent to Rosenberg’s phone.

Death threats came in calls to his cell phone, he said.

Sexual abuse in the Hasidic community is rarely discussed and not commonly prosecuted in secular courts.

In one unusual case, Rabbi Yehuda Kolko, a teacher at Brooklyn’s Yeshiva Torah Temimah in Brooklyn, was charged with sexual abuse in 2006. He ultimately pleaded guilty to child endangerment.

Assemblyman Dov Hikind (D-Brooklyn) has recently begun collecting his own stories of pedophilia in the ultra-Orthodox world and claims he has “hundreds” of complaints against rabbis and other Orthodox leaders.

In September, a psychologist stepped down from a task force that Hikind formed to explore the problem, saying he had been threatened. “I was prosecuted in the street for daring to join such a venture,” Dr. Benzion Twerski told Jewish Week.

“We all live here in prison,” Rosenberg said. “We can’t talk about what is bothering us.”

Warsaw - Dozens of Poles were awarded medals Monday for risking their lives during World War II to save Jews from the Holocaust. President Lech Kaczynski awarded... Jerusalem, Israel - Israel Valas, an Orthodox man who was convicted four months ago of manslaughter over the death of his 3-month-old son, was sentenced by the...

Nov 18, 2008 at 07:39 AM Anonymous Says:

LO soguru - Keep up the good work until the sickos will no longer hurt the children

Nov 18, 2008 at 07:45 AM Anonymous Says:

So, he closed the hotline, why is he still getting death threats?

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:04 AM Anonymous Says:

he claims he was shot and the bulit graised him, can any one confirm?

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:11 AM Anonymous Says:

Who let the dogs out who !!!!! I love your jacket you look like a normal rabbi

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:24 AM Anonymous Says:

since guliani became mayor all this has stopped/ no tires burning,no major spray painting,flipped cars etc.. no one is actually going to do anything to you

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:35 AM Duvid Says:

Hes a liar.he claims that he got shot on a youtube video.no police report no news paper reported it.he is sick and needs attn.he loves the threats so much that he even dreams about it.may his dreams of being shot come true.then hel get alot of attn.

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:31 AM Moishe Zichmech Says:

Just wait until the kids of some of the rabunim or yeshivah administrators will become victims and then all hell will break lose. Whether that or something else—there will be a boiling point and at that point blood will be flowing in the streets of our community. It will happen; it’s just a matter of time. Enough is enough!

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:30 AM nuchem Says:

Nuchem fake foney fraud.

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:28 AM Anonymous Says:

according to rosenberg he was threatened before he closed his hotline. he was defiant then as he is now.

I highly doubt the real reason for his closing was the death threats. I've heard many theories, maybe someone here has some insight.

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:28 AM Anonymous Says:

If the calls are on his cell they can be traced. If he is getting threats (& I believe he's being harrassed) it just proves how Frum people would rather protect the guilty & close ranks than see evil people get what they deserve.

No good deed goes unpunished. Mr. Rosenberg is vilified for speaking up. If more of you people, INCLUDING VICTIMS' FAMILIES, did the same this sickness may be removed. As long as you keep quiet, these predators are free to continue.

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:42 AM Civil War Says:

Nuchem Rosenberg’s downfall was due to good old “casualty of war.” The only way he was able to get this subject on the discussion table was by giving a free education to minors on his hotline—which is wrong! But if not for him there would be no Dov Hikind and there would be no press coverage. It had to happen. Nuchem Rosenberg is a hero and he will see the fruits of his labor in his lifetime. Maybe it will take a new mayor, a new police commissioner, a new DA; or perhaps a few rabunim to wake up but it will happen. The people will take to the streets sooner or later. It’s a shame that right now the child molesters are holding up the “kol Korah” against Nuchem Rosenberg and use it as a shield while laughing at every one. The rabunim who do care (believe it or not, there are some of them left) should have released a separate “kol Korah” saying that despite lashing out at Nuchem Rosenberg they do not condone the atrocities done by those hurting our children. The absence of such a letter was a blatant statement of whose side the rabbis are on. They have blood on their hands. I smell a civil war in the making!

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:40 AM fort lee Says:

Nuchem I'm disopointent of you,
I taught you are more powerfull
than crying in front of a police office,

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:37 AM mlamed Says:

Now I see that we won the ogly war with nuchem, this is yiash,(with flag)

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:35 AM Good Story Says:

Nuchem come up with something better

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:05 AM Anonymous Says:

I happen to know this maniac for many years, this guy will do just anything & everything to get some recognition, you can't believe a word he says, besides the fact that its really rare to find someone that fantasy and reality are one, he is also a straight out liar that you can't even imagine, and all people who think that this person has any credibilty whatsoever or that any good can come out from this Meshugener are either big time stupid or perhaps don't know this guy. Let the cops cross examine him for 15 minutes and they will see how any of his stories will collapse in no time, and I guess the local precients know very well with whom they are dealing with by now and I'm sure that's the reason they just ignore him, if I will have some time I will share with you all first hand information about this guy that will shock you to say the least! I was his neighbor for many years and I saw & heard & know allot on this attention seeker which includes his rishus & abuse to his own family etc. as well some information about his own maasim tovim.... I would just ignore this ego maniac if you ask me.

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:04 AM AuthenticSatmar Says:

The NYPD investigates threats seriously. The reason they can't do anything for Nuchem is that he is unable to substantiate the claims.
I am neither fan nor enemy of Nuchem, but I am calling his bluff.
As for Hikind, he promised action, and to date all we hear are press remarks about how he has hundreds of cases. By not taking any action, he is as responsible as the "Rabbis" who are alleged to be doing the same.
The issue of molestation needs to be addressed, and I truly believe that many schools have become aware of the issue, and where warranted have acted. I don't believe the hype. I don't believe there are hundreds of cases. If there are, show me some proof!!
Because we heard the hype, and then heard it over and over, but never saw real proof or action, we as a public have come to believe that its obviously not that bad. Dov, you promised, but didn't deliver.
As for Twerski, I believe he realized that early on, and took the easy way out to protect his image. He did not want to be part of the colossal failure that was gonna be perpetrated.

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:01 AM Anonymous Says:

I believed Nochum until his gunshot wound, Give me a break!

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:56 AM 90 pct. cop Says:

mr. rosenberg is idiot.

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:55 AM Anonymous Says:

he is villified by many becuase he generelizes.

I don't know of anyone who objects to prosocuting pedophiles.

but calling rabbis pedofiles and claiming 30% of williamsburg are drug addicts is what many find offensive.

if you know of a specific case that's misshandled, make all the noise you want, you will get the support from many. but just screaming that all rabbis are pedophiles or harboring them will not get you anywhere.

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:53 AM yankel from willy Says:

Rabbi rosenberg you are doing a great job. get a permit to carry a weapon so you can protect yourself from these lowlife thugs. these hloier than thau trash is losing the respect of the greater community.

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:50 AM Yoily Says:

fort lee Says:

Nuchem I'm disopointent of you,
I taught you are more powerfull
than crying in front of a police office,

I'm sure you meant to say "thought," not "taught." Move back from Fort Lee to Willi

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:23 AM Anonymous Says:

So, he closed the hotline, why is he still getting death threats?

Because those sicko pediphiles will never be satisfied. All others involved in helping the sexually abused children must be very careful.

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:23 AM Emes Says:

AuthenticSatmar Says:

I am neither fan nor enemy of Nuchem, but I am calling his bluff.

Twersky is accessable. Call him, meet him, ask him; don't just assume and go back to your bubble. You seem like a smart guy so dig up the truth and share it with us

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:21 AM yoilish Says:

we need to protect our protectors

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:20 AM Anonymous Says:

Civil War Says:

I 2nd the motion

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:20 AM yankel Says:

Hey, he may be Meshuga but sometimes it takes a meshuganar to get the job done!

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:53 AM Anonymous Says:

We will release those names!

Nothing will stop me!

this is what we have been hearing from Nochum and now from Hikind.

We have the names, we are warning! waiting for the rebbis to comply! we will.... we will .....

All rethoric!!!

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:50 AM Anonymous Says:

nuchem, may hashem protect you. I

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:40 AM Sarah Stern Says:

How can a yid call a fellow yid meshuga??? its beyond me! at least watch your language when expressing yourselves! please, its not nice!

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:35 AM Sara Stern Says:

I say to all people here, its not nice that you bad mouth any yid, especially a well respected rabbi in our community. I urge you all to stop the hatred already.

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:19 AM Anonymous Says:

I believed Nochum until his gunshot wound, Give me a break!

If you needed the gun shot story to prove you who he really is, then you must be extremely naive.. anyone with some brains who listened to his Hotline a few times, right away had no doubt that this man is first class liar and has a serious ego problem.

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:12 AM M. Richter Says:

Its sad that he picked up the whyte flag. The community desperatly needs him back, politicians are not the right people to pull this through.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:02 AM Harley Bikers Says:

Nuchem Your affraid? Affraid of whom? nuchem stop crying baby and be strong Hashem is mighthy, hashem is strong, Affraid of rabonim? Rabonim have no muscles.You are a tall robust guy if anyone attacks you just do a flip and spin the guy untill he aint see no daylight man.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:57 AM what an attention seeker Says:

This man had a hotline on sexual abuse?? gimme a break! he ran an attention seeking hotline where he was busy day and night to bring down all yeshivos, then he went to rabonim, then to the big rabbis and so on.. after a long time he started talking sexually, some of it contained abuse issues, but the nature and foundation of his hotline had nothing to do with abuse, and very little did he talk about abuse, its all a matter of a crazy guy seeking attention in the most weird ways.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:59 AM Anonymous Says:

Well, you crazy Nuchem, I guess its pay back time. For many years you have terrorized many communities and their leaders with Shekorim and Zilzul of the lowest class and for no good reason, you are finally getting what you well deserve. Nuchem, does it hurt being persecuted and put to shame in public, ha? That’s exactly what you did to others for many years. Be happy that you get repaid on this world, maybe like this you will burn less in hell.

And to you Raboisai! Yes, the molestation issue is a serious problem which had and has to be vigorously discussed and resolved forthwith. But, just as it is unacceptable to blow the Shofar on Roash Hashana with a Shofar that is Posul, you don’t use a filthy man with a filthy mouth to touch such an important issue. If you take into your mouth a Shofar to blow with, which is immersed in filth, your mouth will get filthy as well as it will spread foul odors.

Raboisai! Don’t let your hearts be broken for this filthy man, he will rot in hell.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:52 AM 718 Says:

nuchem please re start your hot line again

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:51 AM Anonymous Says:

Sara Stern Says:

Oh, I believe you refer to all choshuva rabbonim that this crazy had bad mouthed on his hotline.. true, what a shame, he spoke so bad and ugly of the nicest and most respected rabbonim on his dirty hotline.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:48 AM Anonymous Says:

Sara Stern Says:

are you for real? "a respected rabbi"? what a joke.. eating ice cream pops on the street, blabling all kinds of shtussim in his hotlines. what respect are you taking about?

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:47 AM victim Says:

for all the people who bash nuchem i just what to tell you, ''lets see if it would be your child, how you would react'' i have been abused multiple times, and no one knows till now 15 years later, not even nuchem, trust me i can take 10 people off the street today, and lock them up for life, i know nuchem is not a tzadik, and maybe his hotline is really not good for chinuch, but he is the only person talking to the point, nuchem you have my full support.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:44 AM Joe Stein Says:

Is this the same Mashuganeh who goes from town to town trying to posul Mikvos?

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:00 AM Anonymous Says:

Liar liar! nobody is interestd in hurting you, nobody is looking to kill you and no one is even interested if you live in USA, NY, or South Africa. you're a known crazy anyhow, and your way of attracting some attention to your direction, is by screaming "everybody is afte me"..

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:41 AM Anonymous Says:

I am appalled at the blindness of so many people. If the only issue here was Nachum Rosenberg, some of you commentators would actually make sense – both pro and con. But none of that is relevant. Neither is Hikind, Twersky, or any other individual. When will everyone come to their senses and simply recognize that there is a problem here. We have pedophilia happening with absolutely no way of dealing with it. We can’t report to Rabbonim or menahalim, because they get defensive and cover up. We can’t go to authorities because of threats of revenge by the mosdos and Rabbonim, and the shmearing of the names of the complainants as mosrim. We can’t take action into our own hands because we lack the resources.

Forget all the people who make noise and speak publicly. What are you – the reader of this blog/article going to do to help change the situation to make things better? Will you speak up, or will you just follow the stupidity of the street, staying stuck in the denial of the problem, and jump to ridiculous conclusions based on ignorance? Simply put – what have you done to help protect our children, Klal Yisroel’s most precious asset?

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM Anonymous Says:

The comments here are fascinating. Instead of acknowleding Nuchem Rosenberg for the hero that he is, he is being villified! And for what? For protecting OUR children! Until he exposed the whole shameful mess, the awareness level in our community was non-existent. Yes, we all knew of the word "molestation", but we all thought it didn't happen to OUR children. How wrong we were. I now know of several cases-and the after effects are so terribly damaging. Keep up the work R' Nuchem! Hatzlacha Rabba! And to all you protectors of pedophiles in our chinuch system, remember: Emes M'Eretz Titzmach - the truth will sprout forth from the earth and your dirty conduct will eventually be exposed for all to see!

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM Anonymous Says:

can you prove you comment?

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM Keren Says:

Sarah Stern Says:

Calling a yid meshugga is not the problem.
Calling a pedophile a "rabbi" is the problem.
all rabbinical pedophiles should be rounded up and tried. If not on earth, then it will be in Shamayim. Better to do it down here and give people a chance to do teshuva.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:37 AM Big Masmid Says:

If there is one honorable person in Willaimsburg NY it's none other than Rabbi Nochum Rosenburg Shlita an INDIVIDUAL who is full of the truth (EMES) OUT SPOKEN and helpful.

What happen was that he decided to help some teens who where molested by some big and famous guns, knowing that they are very powerful and viscous, still he did a great job putting them in their place.

Unfortunately there are those who are community leaders who where next on this list to be put in their place like have them arrested or put behind bars etc. so they jumped on the bad wagon to get signatures from so called Rabbis who only heard one side of the story and came out with something like a Charim against Rabbi Rosenburg.

If there is any one out there from the cozy VIN family who can help a fellow Yid continue his Avodas HaKodesh, and cars for Kovod Shomyim, please feel to do what ever is in your power to get his hot line going again. We know that Hashem is the one who can help out more than any Askin or police dept. so As a Tefilas Rabim we ask Hashem PLEASE HELP !!!

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:08 AM Wow! Says:

Wow.you hit the hamer on the nail.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:05 AM Anonymous Says:

NEBECH!

Hwoever believes this Shoita-atention seeker should go for medical treatment

but now

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM Keren Says:

The people who have written nasty comments about Rabbi Rosenberg are PART OF THE PROBLEM. You are pedophile shills, doing what you do best, trying to shut up anyone who is brave enough to come out and defend the kids. Shame on all of you. G-d is watching, you will have to answer to G-d on the Day of Judgment and your Day of Judgment may be very very close. Time to do teshuva, leave the Rabbi alone to do his good work.
those of us connected with thefrum community know that all this is TRUE and should be given much more publicity, until the pedophiles and their aides are brought to justice.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:28 AM UNCERTAIN Says:

I've seen the stories and watch his youtube video and can't decide what the truth is. Not being from Williamsburg, I am a disadvantage. His demeanor in the video was not reassuring, but I don't know.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:25 AM Anonymous Says:

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:22 AM Anonymous Says:

What a Shlimazel he failed even at suicide.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:22 AM Anonymous Says:

If the parents of abused children would do their job and report molestation to the police, we would not need Nuchem Rosenberg. To all victims of child molestation, blame your parents for not reporting it. They have blood on their hands.
They knew that the molestor would do it again if they didn't have him arrested right away. YOUR PARENTS CHOSE TO LOOK AWAY.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:17 AM Anonymous Says:

Big Masmid Says:

bis mesmid well said

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM Anonymous Says:

If it's true that this guy is a fake, then let the leaders of the frum community agressively address this issue. When people like R' Twersky and R' Horowitz are vilified for their efforts in this area, then we have a huge problem. We are now in 2008... If the leaders of the frum community want to keep this out of secular corts etc. then they better be addressing these assues with a united front and display of force. If there are accusations or allegations, they should be taken immediately to a din Torah and the teacher / rabbi / councelor etc. should be removed from their teaching position and not be allowed anywahere near kids, perhaps then, this display of zero telerance will eradicate the sickness from our community. Faliure to act will not go unnoticed, and when the authorities get involved, the scandal will be the greatest chilul Hashem in modern history, and will cost the institutions who hid these charges etc. millions... WAKE UP... PROTECT OUR CHILDREN NOW!

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:26 AM Anonymous Says:

why don't you reopen your hotline ?

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:27 AM Anonymous Says:

I have to say, that the message needs to get out about abuse in our community, but because the messenger is someone like Mr. Rosenberg, the main issue falls to the side. We need someone serious to step forward and work this behind the scenes. The subject went from pedophilia to the hotline. That's not what this is about and if Mr. Rosenberg wants to do right with this issue, he should do this quietly and effectively, rather than creating a hotline where young people can listen to the most improper language and subjects. I wish him luck if his real quest to root out child abuse.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:40 AM Anonymous Says:

It’s sad to see how loosely the title Rabbi is being used. To call Nuchem a Rabbi is just like calling a pig, the king of all animals.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:39 AM Lookout parent Says:

I am appalled by all of you, the point is it's not Nuchem Rosenberg. He is just like a child that is screaming in middle of the night there is a fire burning inside the home. Rabosei, there is a fire burning unfortunately in our home- our community. Why don't we all wake up before you get burnt. Unfortunately, I know of a tzadikle of a young boy who became a victim because he trusted the ones that play with fire. What will this child grow up to be? How many more children have left our lifestyles because parents refuse to HEAR that a child has been victimized. We unfortunately don't want to believe that this "great man" was hurting your child. Parents it is all up to you, to take control of whats happening. Be there and listen and observe your child's behavior, be on a look out, address unusual behavior and if we all do our hishtadles then we won't need someone to do it for us. Instead of bashing let's take a moment and listen to the cry. May hashem all guide us what's right from wrong and lets all throw in an extra kapital tehillim that our pure and young neshomos should never have to feel the pain that they don't derserve only because HELP was not there for the unfortunate ones that so desperately would still need today.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM Anonymous Says:

Nuchem, we will overcome. Consider a conference for victims and family to hear a speaker on these issues. Call it an awareness speach for the general public so victims wont shy away. But advertise it heavily through robo calls and hotline. Make it outside the heimishe area and you wont get a flop like last time at the bikur cholim office.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM Anonymous Says:

Today there is help for victims. I just read about a new organization called Survivors for Justice. They will assist any and all victims get all the help they need. I think all parents should take note of this organiztion - they may need it someday.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM Anonymous Says:

We will release those names!

Nothing will stop me!

this is what we have been hearing from Nochum and now from Hikind.

All rethoric!!!

IT'S THE NAMES OF THE MOLESTERS THAT ARE NEEDED-NOT THE VICTIMS & DON'T CONFUSE THE TWO

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM HAPPY MAN Says:

"HE IS A BIG FAT LIAR"A "MENUVEL" AND CRAZY LIKE A DOG.
MANY OF THE STOREIS WAS WENT AFTER AND FOUND %95 OF THE STORY WAS "LIE"

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM Moyshe Zichmech Says:

This is the only "to the point" comment here.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:15 PM Anonymous Says:

Whether Nuchim Rosenberg is crazy or not is totally irrelevant. He has a right to have a hotline - crazy or not - and you have a right NOT TO LISTEN!!

This is free country not a closed minded shtetl!!!

To threaten him with his life or in any other way is DISGUSTING AND BULLYING AND HAS NO PLACE IN SOCIETY. PERIOD.

This is no different than the "mishmeres hatznius" bullying that is so despised by all of us.

As i said this is not to justify his hotline but rather criticize this boorish behavior.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM Zurech Says:

Open the hotline again: NUCHEM OPEN THE HOTLINE AGAIN

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:08 PM 888 not 2 late Says:

very funny i think you need a shrink

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM Anonymous Says:

I am the parent of child molested by a melamed. I went to the school administration to report. Guess what? My child is out and the melamed is still in the classroom, protected by the administration. Why? Because he is "a sheiner yid" with many years of teaching in the yeshiva - and the yeshiva itself doesn't want to look bad by sending him away. Also, he has many influential friends in the system who vouch for him!
Vouch for him? "Ein Apitropos L'Aroyos"

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:51 PM Anonymous Says:

can you prove you comment?

I can. If you heard his hotline you would understand everything. According to "Rabbi Rosenberg" all Mikvahs are pusol, according to him all couples that go for infertillity treatments have mamzierim. This was part of his discussion on his hotline, he was saying on his hotline that all our chussivah rabbunim and people that work to help and support the childless couples have children will go to hell. On his hotline he openly disgraced one of the prominet rabbunim that waste endless hours to answer the sheilous from couples suffering on infertility. Now do you still believe that he is normal?

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:11 PM Anonymous Says:

fort lee Says:

Nuchem I'm disopointent of you,
I taught you are more powerfull
than crying in front of a police office,

as long as he knew he was safe, he could play "brave"... not anymore...

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:09 PM Lock & Load Says:

Its Ironic that Nucham cant walk the streets with out getting yelled at or threats of killing him.......
But the real Pedophiles could walk the streets with no one yelling at them or even threatening them........

Lock & Load

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:09 PM bigwheeel Says:

Duvid Says:

He wasn't shot on U-Tube! He claimed on U-Tube that he was shot in the forehead on the street!!! But, it's interesting. @ the same time (and in the same sentence) you deny that he was shot, but you wish he were dead!!! There's a [classical] story about one [old] lady who knocked on her neighbor's door and asked her to return the pot that she borrowed the day before. Her neighbor replied; First of all, I never borrowed a pot from you. Secondly, I returned it a long time ago!!!

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:08 PM yatzmich Says:

Nuchem we forgot about you we thought you are done thanx for giving us some geshmake news
P.s. By the way were did you get that COOL HAT?

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:28 PM Askipeh Hanidreses Says:

Let me try to put things in perspective. Basically everyone here has the best intentions, and that is to stop a problem which hasn’t been properly addressed until now. First I’ll talk about the problem. No one really knows if it is a big problem or a small problem. In the world on large it is a very big problem. Molestation, incest and even rape (depending on the definition) is the norm. Boruch Hashem by us it’s only the exception. The Gemora says that a Yid is NOT nechshed in three things and one of them is “mishkov zocher” and yes we are obligated to give every ehrlicha Yid the benefit of the doubt, “kabdeihu vechasdehu” is only on money matters but specifically not on this. So if someone wants to exaggerate, to him a few dozen cases (way too much) becomes a million, and to those who found an opportunity to bash Rabbonim, Melamdim and every “klei koidesh”; to them every Menahel, Melamed, Rov, is bad and becomes a “shill” (nothing less) for molesters. Let’s assume that Hikind has documented a thousand cases, the question is how many fall into the definition of pedophilia? Two bochurim is not pedophilia; it’s called “yener maaseh”. One perpetrator with multiple victims or one victim with multiple perpetrators, and many acts by the same perpetrator and the same victim might add up to hundreds if not thousands of documented cases. Honestly, I do not know how large this problem is, but I go to the mikvah basically every day and I have never ever seen any mischief there; therefore I come to the conclusion that this is a problem, but nowhere as large as it has been made out. Those who think that Nuchem is the “yeshuah” are gravely mistaken. They probably have no idea who Nuchem is nor have they heard his shtusim, yes SHTUSIM. Nuchem is not a meshugener, he is a freak, and he dresses freakish. No, not everyone who dresses like him is a freak; but because he is a freak he dresses like this. I have met him in person and don’t say these words lightly. He is first and foremost an attention seeker. His dressing is ALSO for attention. He is not a Rabbi but he is an expert in mikvo’es. Once he discovered that for pennies you can get you own hot line, and stand on your own SOAP BOX, he needed material to draw attention. So anything and everything which society feels wronged became grist for his mill. Until finally he hit GOLD which is the subject which has enveloped all of us for the last few months. Dov, not knowing who this (pardon my expression) meshugener is, grabbed onto this issue. I don’t fault Dov, and I’ll even compliment him for taking on this problem. BUT, here is the real problem, those that are egging him on are hungry for BLOOD, and if he won’t deliver them BLOOD, they will not be satisfied. It reminds me of the Ashe Sedoim (no pun intended) who demanded from “Lot” to deliver his guest over to them to do with them as they please; they also demanded BLOOD. Dov, once he got to know more about this problem, not from Nuchem but from those who banned him; he got a different picture. Contrary to what everybody thinks, this problem WAS taken care by many Menahelim, Rabbonim and Rebbes. Yes, maybe way too little, but after all they weren’t elected to be the “apitropes” of Klal Yisroel. Many healed this problem in their own midst. Look, if in the entire history of Satmar we only have “ONE” case, that must mean that Satmar has been taking care of this problem for the last fifty years. I am no apologist for Satmar, but the truth is the truth. The reason why our Rabbonim only work for their “Oilom” is simply because we DON’T have a Boro Paker Rov or a Flatbush Rov or a Williamsburger Rov or a Queens Rov, although some have tried to impose themselves as such; and based on the times it is impossible to have one Rov for all. Warsaw, Lemberg, Budopest, Lublin, Lodz, Vilna and many more big cities didn’t and couldn’t have a Rov for decades before WWII. Therefore the best we have, is for Dov to work hand in hand with the Rabbonim on the know, to solve this problem. The good news is that in this day and age with a little technology most opportunities for molestation can be solved. For starters let the Yeshiva’s install 24 hour surveillance cameras in EVERY room especially focused on the doors of every bathroom. For a few dollars, I think most if not 90% (maybe some wishful thinking) of the problem can be solved.

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:21 PM SamTheManInBocaRatonFlorida Says:

Zurech Says:

Open the hotline again: NUCHEM OPEN THE HOTLINE AGAIN

KUDOS ! Please open hotline.

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:21 PM bigwheeel Says:

I totally disagree with you! None of the parents would deliberately ignore such a problem and casually go on with their lives! But you can't BUCK the system! (s'maint de zelbe of Yiddish! m'ken nisht zaan kan Buck in gayn akeygn dem system. Ein Mentsch allein!) Right or wrong, those individual parents were threatened, land they buckled under pressure!!!

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:19 PM SamTheManInBocaRatonFlorida Says:

nuchem, may hashem protect you. I

I 2nd that ! R' Nochum and your Rebbitizen are wonderful. May HaShem protect You & your family and May He Restore Your Honour. Your "work" is greatly needed & appreciated.

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:17 PM get to the root Says:

"Nuchem" may be wierd. Or not. Hikind may have real info. Or not. Everybody who screams "Wolf" may be telling the truth. Or not. But I personally know of several instances where an authority figure in a religious setting inappropriately spoke to or touched (or worse) another person, years younger than he.

So I say, let's focus on why that happens, how it can be allowed to happen, and most importantly, why many times the crime is ignored, if not squelched.

I think there’s more at play than isolated "sick" individuals.

To address all this in a coherent way would take a long essay with supporting footnotes and research, but for the illustrious purpose of posting on today's torah she-bal-peh called internet blog:

1. There’s a huge gap between in what is documented as criminal behavior, between the Shulchan Aruch and American law or current social acceptance.

2. Halacha requires that a male basically amputate his natural urges and hormones until he is married. Historical human behavior shows that this is beyond the capability of most. Somewhere, somehow, “cracks” will develop.

3. Halacha acknowledges the challenge of (and forbids) "Yichud" for humans - but only when discussing adults of the opposite gender.

4. There are all shades of natural tendencies ranging from 100% attraction to one gender and 0% to the other, to completely the opposite.

5. Many ortho circles include the daily ritual of mikva - which is, in certain ways, a lot more psychologically pervasive than society's "regular" locker room ambience.

Combining the dots above can create a setting with an older, frustrated, male alone with a trusting younger male who succumbs to urges. The authority figure of that closed circle in which this occurs might "understand" (perhaps he too had/has such "challenge") and feel bad for the perpetrator, and also feel "nothing really happened anyway - i.e. no real aveira occurred, no child will be born as the result, no physical pain, etc.. Additionally, given the probable shame, and the fact there is "only" the muted words of the minor on which to "mach ah tumult", there is little pressure on the authority to push against the built-in defense that might exist.

(A soft analogy might be the Crown Heights riots. There was much activity in those DAYS (not hours) that was abusive/criminal etc, yet it was unbelievably allowed to go unabated. Why? The crimes were perceived by the authority (who might have felt a type of kinship with the perpetrators) as "understandable venting" which would probably diffuse eventually “fast enough” on its own and not cause much “lasting harm”. Only with sufficient outside pressure, and probably because he personally got hit in the head, did the necessary quick stop orders get implemented).

Only if/when authority fully appreciates an act as a crime does he put resources to stop it and/or make those that commit it accountable.

Is it clear to every common person and to every person of authority exactly what constitutes sexual abuse of a minor?

I say no.

When does fair, understandable and appropriate speech and action end, and when does inappropriate and criminal behavior begin?

I say there will be many different answers.

Can a person of authority with an ortho circle be taught something as a truth if it comes from the "fremde velt"?

I say it depends on the specific person and circle.

So two things are pre-requisites to any true answer to this matter at hand:

1. Education: All members of a society (including especially its leadership) which thinks it writes its own rules (some of which may supersede the rules of the society in which it lives as a subset) must be taught current society's rules of engagement between its own members - the rules of in/appropriate/dis/allowed behavior between same/different gender/age parent/child teacher-leader/student-follower

2. Agreement: All members of a society (including especially its leadership) which thinks it writes its own rules (some of which may supersede the rules of the society in which it lives as a subset) must unanimously agree, absorb as truth to such rules of behavior and react to violation of such with prescribed consequence.

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:15 PM Anonymous Says:

718 Says:

nuchem please re start your hot line again

yes, we enjoy listening to it, and knowing what is definitely not true

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:31 PM Anonymous Says:

This is free country not a closed minded shtetl!!!

And you really believe that anybody is threatening this maniac?? are you naive, or you just don't know this man?

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:29 PM Anonymous Says:

Vouch for him? "Ein Apitropos L'Aroyos"

#70, is there something wrong if I don't believe a word of what you said???

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:14 PM Anonymous Says:

Sara Stern Says:

a respected rabbi....lol

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:13 PM Anonymous Says:

Keren Says:

KEREN, are you naive, wow! molestation issue is very important, and getting those vicious abusers off the street is critically important. but.
Nuchem Risenberg is not the person who is capable of doing it, neither does he have any interest in doing it. he is simply working on attention.
BTW, his most famous subject (one before his most favorable sex talks) is bashing all rabbonim and holy tzadikim.
Shame on him! and shame on those who support this evil!

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:52 PM Anonymous Says:

#70, is there something wrong if I don't believe a word of what you said???

Yes, you have your head firmly planted in the sand. Take your head out of the sand and think logically for a moment. All this noise must mean something - where there is smoke there is fire. If you have a problem believing my story, have a talk with Shlome Herzog of UTA.

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:46 PM ML Says:

Vouch for him? "Ein Apitropos L'Aroyos"

Can I know why you didn't go to the police? You are just as bad as the school administration that's sweeping it under the rug! PLEASE GO TO THE POLICE! By not reporting it you are an accessory to the crime. You know that he will continue doing this to other kids in the class...

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:41 PM Must Be Kidding Says:

Lock & Load Says:

Lock & Load

Lock & load
There are many "real" askonim dealing with abuse issues around here, but as a local I can tell you, I live not far from Nuchem, I see him almost every other day (I see him here even on the days he claims to be "down south" or in "South Carolina").. and NEVER have I seen one yelling at him, let alone physically or endangering his safety.
People just pass him and look him with pity as to say "what a meshigener"..
NO ONE IS YELLING AT HIM, NO ONE IS TOUCHING HIM, despite his wishes that it should happen.

Nov 18, 2008 at 02:00 PM Anonymous Says:

Please Reopen the hotline. 1 because of the entertainment you gave me each week listening to you thru traffic. 2 its time to stop the madness of pedophiles they have zero restrictions theres no one that cares, that is until one of there own gets molested then they wake up when its to late but they don't press charges because the kid wont get a shiddich or so they think, so the kids screwed because he got no professional help to deal with his trauma gets married and is miserable for the rest of his life. So I ask you did the molester win or not ?
The only one that took a stand was Mr. Rosenberg trying to save not his children but your own and you have the nerve to threaten him, You don't have to support him however don't interrupt his work in saving our current and future generations
Stay strong all of you that are fighting for all of us and our children.

Nov 18, 2008 at 01:57 PM Anonymous Says:

Well if he wasn't threatened - and as you claim he lvoes the attention - why did he close the hotline then????

He obviously WAS threatened and there's no excuse for that. Period.

Nov 18, 2008 at 02:24 PM Shulim Bayis Says:

Rabbi Nucham Rosenburg please re open your hot line it gave us much Sulam Bayis we spent countless hours listening to you avoiding fights between us

Nov 18, 2008 at 02:36 PM Kozak Hanigzal Says:

I agree with Rebetzin Stern, I can understand and feel the pain she has when seeing how sometimes we loose our boundaries and we go to the lowest level by calling a yid .meshuga! ” ...quote

I guess you never heard his damn hotline.. ha?? did you hear how this meshugener called all rabbonim?? what names did he call the holy skulener rebbe?? and so on..

shame on him!!

Nov 18, 2008 at 03:18 PM Anonymous Says:

HAPPY MAN Says:

"HE IS A BIG FAT LIAR"A "MENUVEL" AND CRAZY LIKE A DOG.
MANY OF THE STOREIS WAS WENT AFTER AND FOUND %95 OF THE STORY WAS "LIE"

it might not be true all the stories but your names that you are calling himare for sure not ideal

Nov 18, 2008 at 03:01 PM Anonymous Says:

we should of have nuchem 20 years ago then things would of been a lot different today

Nov 18, 2008 at 03:27 PM Anonymous Says:

A Must Read For Every Parent By Aish Re: Child Molestation

Nov 18, 2008 at 04:47 PM LIEBISH J Says:

Nuchem open back up the HOTLINE

Nov 18, 2008 at 05:17 PM Anonymous Says:

fort lee Says:

Nuchem I'm disopointent of you,
I taught you are more powerfull
than crying in front of a police office,

that was probably the only way for him to get press coverage and for the police to admit that he did complain but they did nothing ( as it says in the article)

Nov 18, 2008 at 05:13 PM Anonymous Says:

Duvid Says:

your probably one of the molesters too

Nov 18, 2008 at 05:12 PM MP Says:

I was talking about the molesters.

Every week Nochum came up with a new deadline.

I'm all for prosecuting these perpetrators, but making noise and getting publicity does no one any good.

Did he help anyone? other then telling these stories on his hotline in great detail?

Some people enjoy helping others while others revel in their misery

Nov 18, 2008 at 05:55 PM NUCHEM PLEASE OPEN YOUR HOTLINE Says:

Nuchem, please! we need your hotline open again! we all miss you!

Nov 18, 2008 at 06:20 PM Anonymous Says:

By looking at his picture, one could see how normal he looks.
By listening to his hot lline about Rosenberg times one could see where his ego is placed.
The Gerrer Rebbe OB"M used to rush through Viduy on Yom Kipur,because ' vie men trach dort ligt men'. I guess that applies to Nuchem too.
I don't dispute that he has a very big point, but who is representing us on it? Some very educated individual?
Had he done it anonymously he may have helped a few. The way he looks, sounds & behaves I would think twice before trusting him with my kids.
I hate to say that there is a saying it takes one to know one. We all know these problems exsist & would help to put out the fire, but such a rage is regretably suspicious, although I have no hard proof, just gutt feeling.
It may be time to run a real background check on this can of worms, and see what created this rage, he may be legit & clean, and real tzadik, or who knows.

Nov 18, 2008 at 06:10 PM Anonymous Says:

I'm on the road a whole day and I used to listen to him all the time it made traffic much easier time went fast still I think they did a good job by shutting him down.
for all the young bucherim who used to losten to him good job who ever did it.

Nov 18, 2008 at 06:06 PM Anonymous Says:

EVERYONE SHOULD SPEAK OUT AGAINST THE MOLESTERS THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR CHILDREN!! PERVERTS!!

Nov 18, 2008 at 06:06 PM Anonymous Says:

Stop being naive! the important issue of molestation has nothing to do with N.R.!!
his hotline was nothing but speeches of loshon hora, bizoyon talmidei chachomim and so on..
he used the lowest language on the biggest gedolei hador (not in relation to abuse etc) from the biggest to the smallest, if you wanna help those stopping abuse, talk to serious askonim like Rabbi Horowitz, not some phoney loshon hora shtussim sponsor.

Nov 18, 2008 at 05:54 PM allah hakeem saheed hussein Says:

R'NUCHAM WE LOVE U Y DID YOU WAKE UP SO LATE WHERE WERE U 20 YEARS AGO ANYWAY MAKE SURE YOU DONT SHOOT URSELF AGAIN IN THE HEAD

Nov 18, 2008 at 07:37 PM Library Lover Says:

Shame on all of you for vilifying someone who is trying to help our kids, and help US! He made do things differently, but I dont see any one of YOU who are calling him meshuga, stepping up to do anything..and even if he wants attention, I am SURE he has better stuff to do than to hang around police offices all day..he is just trying to HELP, unlike most of you...give him a break...and Mr Rosenberg, OPEN UP YOUR HOTLINE..we NEED it here in MONSEY...

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:08 PM Anonymous Says:

Can anyone tell me who N.R. Helped? And how?

Nov 18, 2008 at 07:54 PM Anonymous Says:

AuthenticSatmar Says:

I am neither fan nor enemy of Nuchem, but I am calling his bluff.

i personally know at least 10 kids who were molested in sleep away camp and the head staff just macht it avek. its about time something is done!

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:57 PM a gita mentch Says:

not even one Rabbi is on his side

Nov 18, 2008 at 09:12 PM 4merfrumnowshigetz Says:

I attended a satmer school in the 80s. It seems this school was designated for boys from disfunctional homes or parents, orphans and the like. I too was orphaned from my father at a very young age, and my mother just couln't cope. For this reason the staff felt they could get away with anything.
Let me tell you abot the 7th grade rebbe.
On Sunday all the boys would take their seats and he would start to recite the talmud to be covered that week. Naturally it was hard for young boys to concentrate on Sunday morning. He would call on a boy and ask him the place. If he didn't know he would be marked in his notebook. If was asked again & didn't know, another mark. By the 3rd time not knowing the place the criminal student was told to go to a certain wooden box in the back of the room that contained a variation of wooden paddles. He was told to get a paddle "for himself" and bring it to the rebbe. Now he would have to hold the paddle tight with both hands while rebbe proceeded to deliver him 4 smacks across the face, 2 on each cheek. If the boy would "pull away" making it impossible to give face smacks, then rebbe would ask him for the paddle. He would have to strtch out each palm which would be whacked with the paddle. Here also most boys would "pull away". The rebbe would warn: if I can't hit you on your hands you'll have get it "somewher else'". The mystery of where was this "somewhere else" would soon be solved. After a few unsuccessful atempts at the the hand paddling, the student would have to lie over rebbe's lap. Rebbe would take a minute or 2 to "fix the position", and then we would hear the shower of powerful whacks coming down on the poor victim's behind. After this pain and humiliation which are beyond any description the "punished" student would have to tearfully return the paddle to its box, and go to his seat.
On Thursdays he would always call 2 boys at a time to his desk, and they would have to recite portions of the covered talmud of the week. He always made sure to call a good student who knew his stuff together with a weak student whom he knew would do poorly and hence be punished. Again once thestudent was asked to recite and would "not know" the whole process would start. "Go fetch a "shteken" from the box 'for yourself'. Back to the rebbe,who would try face smacks, then hand paddling, and then when the 2 above didn't work the dumb student had to bend over rebbe's knee for a vicious paddling on his behind. Then he had to return the shteken.
This rebbe succeeded in breaking many of his students. Many of them have left the fold of Judaism on a 1-way ticket. I am trying with the help of some wonderful people from kiroov to take another look at Judaism. But when I open a book of the talmud it makes me shudder, as it brings back all those horrifying memories. This beast now lives in Monroe, and is one of the prominent members of that community, although not teaching anymore.
Once by recess he told me to stay with him, he had a certain matter he had to settle with me. After all the boys left the room he told me that he had "information" that I had made fun of him and said very disparaging things about him and about the things he does to the boys in the class. I couldn't deny it; it was true. I realized I had been snitched on. So I confessed. He told me the punishment for this would be very severe. I had to go to the box to get a shteken. He told me to give him the paddle and bend over his lap. I got a whacking, I thought I saw stars. Then he told me to get up, and put my hands over my head. He started to undo my belt and pulled down my pants and underwear. Hethen bent me over again and I now got an extremely painful spanking on my bare behind both with the shteken and his hands. I know he did this to most of the boys at different times.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:56 PM bigwheeel Says:

get to the root Says:

I think there’s more at play than isolated "sick" individuals.

I say no.

I say there will be many different answers.

I say it depends on the specific person and circle.

So two things are pre-requisites to any true answer to this matter at hand:

In Paragraph #5 of your otherwise wonderful essay, you probably meant "Invasive" instead of "Pervasive", which is out of context!!!

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:20 PM MOHAMED ABDUL RAKEEM Says:

WE LOVE U NUCHEM ROSENBERG GREAT JOB KEEP IT UP BUT STOP BASHING THE RABBIS ITS NOT NICE STOP TALKING ON THE RABBIS AND STOP THE ABBUSE REMEMBER DO NOT TALK BAD ON RABBI'S RESPECT THEM IF UL RESPECT THE RABBI'S U WONT GET SHOT IN THE HEAD BUT U CAN VOICE UR OPINION ABOUT CHILD ABUSE MOLESTERS, BUT STOP ALREADY KNOCKING THE RABBI'S

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:16 PM nuchemisdabestofdabessst Says:

rock on!.......

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:59 PM Anonymous Says:

Vouch for him? "Ein Apitropos L'Aroyos"

#70 MAKE THE REBBES NAME PUBLIC. IF NOT YOU MAY BE AN ACCOMPLICE TO A CRIME OF OTHER CHILDREN BEING MOLESTED BY HIM.. PLEASE PROTECT THE OTHER KIDS FROM THESE PERVERTS!!!

Nov 19, 2008 at 08:47 AM Anonymous Says:

I am no fan of Satmar Chasidim, they are for the most part uneducated goniff's. However, I met Mr. Rosenberg and I think he is a mentally ill buffoon. That story, in which he claims to have been shot in the forehead, is patently ridiculous.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:38 PM Askipeh Hanidreses Says:

4merfrumnowshigetz Says:

Let me tell you abot the 7th grade rebbe.

I never knew that Satmar has/had a school designated for boys from dysfunctional homes or parents, and for orphans and the like. I always thought that Satmar has/had one school for all types of children. What you are describing is what we call a "Rishesdiga Melamed. In "Der alter heim" before WWII, corporal punishment was the norm, a melamed and any non-Jewish teacher would hit his/her students with a stick, yes a stick. After WWII there were still Melamdim who remembered how to do it the old way, until all of these Melamdim were replaced by the new generation Melamdim, who only smacked and also with a cheshbon. Nowadays, in some Yeshiva's it is still acceptable because the parents know this and still agree to send their children there, because these parents have an understanding that smacking is done with a limit. What you described has nothing to do with the subject on hand; this Melamed didn't hit you for gratification, he did so, I assume because this is how he learned it from his father and/or Melamed. It is unfortunate that you had a Meshugener Melamed; but are you really saying that if not for this Melamed's rishess, you would have stayed Frum? It’s hard for me to believe it, because I have had another 10 good excuses not to be Frum, but B”H didn’t try to excuse myself. Think again of other reasons for becoming Frei, and you will see that this isn’t the real reason for it! I know many who went off the derech, and none of them who are over 40 are still smiling, seeing that all their taivohs and fantasies have never been reached, and never will be reached. It’s better to do teshuvah at 25 when your entire life can still be changed , then wait until 50, when teshuvah will still wipe you clean, but it will be too late to start life over again. Take advice from someone who knows, “vesti huben der velt un yener velt”.