Mendon, VT - GPS Tells Driver To Turn Around; Car Ends Up Almost Vertical

Published on: July 29, 2016 01:05 PM
By: AP
This Wednesday, July 27, 2016, photo provided by G. Ray Ault shows a vehicle on wires attached to a utility pole in Mendon, Vt. Police in Vermont say the car ended up almost vertical when the driver swerved quickly in response to her GPS ordering her to "turn around." (G. Ray Ault via AP)This Wednesday, July 27, 2016, photo provided by G. Ray Ault shows a vehicle on wires attached to a utility pole in Mendon, Vt. Police in Vermont say the car ended up almost vertical when the driver swerved quickly in response to her GPS ordering her to "turn around." (G. Ray Ault via AP)

Mendon, VT -Police in Vermont say a car ended up almost vertical when the driver swerved quickly in response to her GPS ordering her to “turn around.”

The car was suspended almost vertically on guy wires attached to a utility pole in Mendon on Wednesday night.

Police say 30-year-old Nabila Altahan of Dorchester, Massachusetts, was headed west on U.S. Route 4 when she passed her intended destination and the GPS gave sudden directions to turn around.

Police say Altahan reacted quickly to the instructions, leaving the road at a significant enough speed to propel the vehicle up the wires.

Neither Altahan nor her passenger was injured.

Toulon - Two people suspected of links to terrorism were arrested on Friday by armed police officers on a high-speed train in Toulon, in the south of France, and the... New York - More than half of newborn babies are not breastfed within the first hour of life, putting them at heightened risk of disease and death, the United Nations'...

Jul 29, 2016 at 01:31 PM Alex Says:

What if her passenger would tell her "jump in the lake?!"

Jul 29, 2016 at 01:49 PM Ptcha Says:

My GPS told me how drive to England! When I arrived at the Boston Harbor my dislike of following instructions got the better of me. I'm here to tell the tale because of that. GPS should be banned. They're dangerous and designed to destroy us.

Jul 29, 2016 at 03:30 PM Not about GPS Says:

I think this is a story that is not so much about GPS as being about a distracted driver.

Jul 29, 2016 at 03:38 PM StevenWright Says:

The screen probably displayed one of those arrows pointing diagonally upward.

Jul 29, 2016 at 04:07 PM Ptcha Says:

Jul 29, 2016 at 05:38 PM GenugShoin Says:

I know someone that ended up on train tracks because the GPS told him to turn. Hello! GPS doesn't mean auto drive! Some ppl will jump of bridge if told to do so

Jul 30, 2016 at 09:18 PM SammyPos Says:

Reminds me of the time my friend phones me to complain he can't see the road it's so foggy, so I said, not to worry, you've got gps!

Jul 31, 2016 at 10:53 AM Anonymous Says:

Another day, another case of blaming someone/something for her mistake or negligence. The gps wasn't driving the car. The driver was. Lucky she didn't kill someone.