Albany, NY - New York Lawmakers Approve Free Middle Class College Tuition

Published on: April 10, 2017 10:00 AM
By: AP
Brooklyn College students walk between classes on campus, Wednesday Feb. 1, 2017, in New York.  APBrooklyn College students walk between classes on campus, Wednesday Feb. 1, 2017, in New York.  AP

Albany, NY -  New York is set to make tuition at public colleges and universities free for middle-class students.

The tuition initiative is part of a new state budget approved Sunday by the state Senate, a day after the Assembly approved it.

Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo (KWOH’-moh) proposed the tuition plan, which will cost an estimated $163 million.

In-state students whose families earn $125,000 or less will be eligible. Cuomo says the idea is to provide new economic opportunities for New Yorkers by making college more affordable.

The budget was due by April 1, but passage was delayed by difficulties in negotiations.

Moscow- - The Kremlin said on Monday that U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will not meet President Vladimir Putin when he visits Moscow on Wednesday, a move that... Janesville, WI - The hunt continues Monday for a man suspected of stealing firearms from a Wisconsin gun store who sent an anti-government manifesto to President Donald...

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM ercsd Says:

I think $125,000 was too high. I will be paying more tax so a family that makes more than me doesn't have to pay tuition for their child. On the other hand I think it's good for kids that had to work in order to pay for their tuition.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:48 AM Secular Says:

125000 is too low

Same arguement

Apr 10, 2017 at 01:26 PM Heeb Says:

ercsd Says:

If they're making more than you, then you too can qualify for free tuition.

Apr 10, 2017 at 01:39 PM TrumpISprez Says:

Its a great idea but should be limited to degrees that bring to meaningful employment. Free tuition for sociology is a waste.

Apr 10, 2017 at 01:50 PM Secular Says:

125000 is too low

Same arguement

Apr 10, 2017 at 02:07 PM yamsar Says:

ercsd Says:

The point isn't too high or too low. Either way, the taxpayer will be paying for this program. This is just another example of government sanctioned theft. Taking money from people under the threat of prison and calling it tax doesn't make it ok. The government doesn't have a mandate to take private property forcefully from people for whatever program they wish to provide.