Welcome, Guest! - or
Easy to remember!  »  VinNews.com

Jerusalem - Israeli Journalists Terminated For Using Fake News To Discredit Charedim

Published on: April 30, 2017 11:30 PM
By: Jerusalem Post
Change text size Text Size  

Jerusalem - Two employees of an Israeli television channel have been fired after posting a staged video to Facebook that supposedly showed Charedi residents of Bnei Brak attacking a news reporter carrying an Israeli flag.

According to Israeli news site Kol Hazman(http://www.kolhazman.co.il/206658), reporter Guy Hochman took to the streets of the Satmar section of Bnei Brak last Thursday waving an Israeli flag, allegedly hoping to elicit a negative response from area residents.

Four different witnesses said that after Hochman and his cameraman wandered through the Satmar neighborhood for half an hour without incident, they positioned themselves near Satmar shtiebels where they were ignored by those inside, even after they offered a loud rendition of the Israeli national anthem, Hatikvah.

Advertisement:

Undaunted, Hochman reportedly tried another approach, asking a Chasidic friend of his on a motorcycle to stage an attack.  According to eyewitnesses, it was clear that Hochman knew the man he was speaking with.

“The two of them hugged and spoke for several minutes,” said one person who observed the exchange.

The Chasidic biker returned, snatching the flag from Hochman’s hands, before breaking it and screaming at Hochman.  After leaving the scene, the motorcyclist returned once again, earning compliments from Hochman for his performance.

Activisit Shmulik Weinreich, one of those who witnessed the “attack,” said that he heard the man on the motorcycle ask Hochman “how did it come out?”

The biker later confessed that he had grabbed the flag as a favor to a Hochman, who told him he was filming a satirical video.

In the video, which was ultimately released to Reshet 2’s Facebook page, Hochman said that he had been spit on by locals, who also threw eggs at him, leaving him to fearing for his life.

After seeing the video, the motorcyclist said that he regretted taking part in the stunt.

“Had I thought about it, I would have understood that he was taking advantage of me to try to embarrass the people in the neighborhood,” said the motorcyclist.

After the Kol Hazman story broke saying that the video had been staged, Reshet 2 initially stood behind the foootage, but removed the video from Facebook on Friday according to Arutz Sheva (http://bit.ly/2oNzpf1).  A Reshet 2 reporter said that the video had been taken down in response to comments received and in order to be sensitive to the public.

Reshet 2 chose to terminate both Hochman and his video producer on Sunday, in addition to issuing a formal apology to the public.

“Reshet is taking this matter very seriously and working hard to prevent incidents of this nature in the future.  Whether this incident took place through human error or any other kind of mistake, everyone involved expresses their sincerest remorse.”



More of today's headlines

Washington - Congressional Republicans and Democrats have reached agreement on a huge $1 trillion-plus spending bill that would fund most government operations through... Jerusalem - In a move that could significantly bolster Israel’s historic bid to join the United Nations Security Council, the US is likely to “actively support”...

 

Total6

Read Comments (6)  —  Post Yours »

1

 May 01, 2017 at 12:18 AM lazy-boy Says:

they like to make the news that people will want to read....
instead of the boring facts that no one cares.....

2

 May 01, 2017 at 02:29 AM Mark Levin Says:

They should rot in the depths of gehenim.

3

 May 01, 2017 at 05:14 AM Petrishka Says:

Last time I checked this was suppose to be a YIDDISHE MEDINA, YES YES, ככל הגויים בית ישראל & even worse

4

 May 01, 2017 at 11:36 AM Adopt A Job Says:

Oh the chaerdim print fake news a whole day. Just read any charedi paper. Hapeeleg is better?

5

 May 01, 2017 at 11:39 AM Anonymous Says:

An incident like this happens there every few years. And it's not like it's a huge country with a very large number of journalists. If people want to turn this comment page into a stroll down memory lane, I'll start. A few years ago, some reporter created a fictional story of how an African immigrant worker raped a woman in a mikve in Bnei Brak, and claimed that because of the rape,her local beit din was forcing her to divorce her husband. This scandalized the entire country for a few days, until people poked around, and no one was able to find any trace of the family or the beit din. The reporter eventually admitted he concocted the entire story. Anyone else want to add their memories?

6

 May 01, 2017 at 11:40 AM NACHMAN Says:

Is there any way the producer can be sued????

7

Sign-in to post a comment

Click here to sign-in.

Scroll Up
Advertisements:
Sell your scrap gold and broken jewelry and earn hard cash sell gold today!