Washington - Sanders Defends Trump's Praise Of Australian Healthcare System

Published on: May 7, 2017 12:30 AM
By: Reuters
FILE - U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) takes the stage after being introduced by U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (not pictured) at a Our Revolution rally in Boston, Massachusetts, U.S., March 31, 2017.     REUTERS/Mary Schwalm FILE - U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) takes the stage after being introduced by U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (not pictured) at a Our Revolution rally in Boston, Massachusetts, U.S., March 31, 2017.    REUTERS/Mary Schwalm

Washington - U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders said on Saturday that President Donald Trump was right to call Australia’s universal healthcare system better than the U.S. system.Sanders, a self-described democratic socialist who ran for the Democratic presidential nomination last year, also said the Senate should use the Australian system as a model while crafting an alternative to Republican healthcare legislation that Trump endorses.

“President Trump is right. The Australian healthcare system provides healthcare to all of its people at a fraction of the cost than we do,” Sanders commented on Twitter.

The tweet was accompanied by a short video that set out the virtues of Australia’s universal healthcare system, saying it guarantees better service to all Australians at about half the cost of U.S. healthcare. The video also noted that Australians can expect to live longer than Americans, on average.

Sanders’ tweet came two days after Trump told Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull in New York: “You have better healthcare than we do.”

The president’s comment raised eyebrows, coming just after the U.S. House of Representatives had approved a Trump-backed bill that would overturn much of former President Barack Obama’s signature healthcare law and move the U.S. system further away from universal coverage.

The White House later said Trump was simply being nice to an ally and does not think the United States should adopt Australia’s healthcare approach.

The healthcare legislation that Trump endorses would pare back insurance protections for the sick, and, according to nonpartisan congressional researchers, would lead to 24 million more Americans being without health coverage by 2026.

But the bill’s approval in the House on Thursday sent the legislation to the Senate, where it has little support.

“We will take this pathetic healthcare bill, throw it in the garbage can and do something that will work for ordinary Americans instead,” Sanders said in a second Saturday tweet.

A Vermont independent, Sanders has become more influential in the Senate since 2016, when he took his long-shot presidential bid and turned it into a political movement against inequality.

Jerusalem - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says the Palestinians are not educating their children toward peace. Netanyahu spoke Sunday at his weekly... Austin, TX - Parents seeking to adopt children in Texas could soon be rejected by state-funded or private agencies with religious objections to them being Jewish...

May 07, 2017 at 12:48 AM TrumpISprez4-8 Says:

Cheaper but better ?

1) how long are the lines there
2) can I get approved for experimental innovative treatments
3) Are Drs paid well ? If there is anyone that deserves a nice salary it's Drs way before wall St bankers . ( that's coming from a guy that likes wall st ) we need to keep the brightest and the best hard workers
4) what's end of life like there ? Can i keep a family member on life support even though it may cost 100k and they ain't waking up ?
5) is there early intervention and therapies programs as robust as here in the USA

May 07, 2017 at 01:09 AM grandbear Says:

If the complaint is that the socialist health care isn't working ,let's take it and make it better rather than just knock it.

May 07, 2017 at 11:04 AM TrumpISprez4-8 Says:

grandbear Says:

Yeah but the point is you can't fix socialized medicine . In order to deliver our second to none health care system you need a capitalist health care system . You need innovation and efficiency that don't exist via socialized government systems

May 07, 2017 at 02:32 PM Anonymous Says:

TrumpISprez4-8 Says:

Cheaper but better ?

1) how long are the lines there
2) can I get approved for experimental innovative treatments

1) Aren't
2) You mostly can't in the US, either, but you'll need to be specific. Your statement is too vague and broad to be honestly discussed and challenged with data. And, as an aside, much of the REAL experimental treatments are at the expense of the researchers.
3) Yes
4) Australians live longer than Americans (life expectancey) and better.
5) Haa! That's one the weaknesses of the US system. Socialized medicine is financially incentivized to stress preventive care and early intervention in order to reduce costs.

You seem to be a one-man misinformation campaign. Your agenda seems only to serve to willfully cause real and serious damage to VIN readers by planting misinformation and doubts in their heads. Instead of dealing in facts, your comment here and elsewhere just pose questions in the form of deniable inniuendo. "Oh, I was only asking a question!"

Which brings me to one of the most useful gematriot I was ever taught. Safek = Amalek, because that's how they spiritually attack and attempt to destroy us, by attempting to sow doubt and confusion (what goyim call "psychological warfare").

Personally, I think your record on VIN is long and clear, and you should be banned.

May 07, 2017 at 04:53 PM TrumpISprez4-8 Says:

1) Aren't
3) Yes
4) Australians live longer than Americans (life expectancey) and better.

Banned for expressing my opinion ?

If health care in Australia is so great why does everyone fly to the USA ?

1) so is it just Canada and Israel that have long lines ? What does Austria do better than them .
2) Again same questions Drs in Israel and Canada I know are Piad a plotury sum is Australia better and why ?
3) innovative treatment , means like a stem cell transplant . I had a family member that had that . It was tough but he was ultimately approved for a 500 k treatment
4) you missed my question . I was not asking who has a longer life span . I was asking, of Australia allows someone who will die in a month or two hence no real longer life span , are they allowed to go on life support even if there is no hope ?
5) similar to first two pointers , in Israel children do not recieves as much therapy as here in the USA . Does Australia differ ? Yes early intervention like well visits you get but how about childhood therapy likd speech , OT etc.. How about mental health ? In Israel I believe that's scarce too .

Yes perhaps Australia is better than Israel and Canada . But how come ? What's the secret ? How can government really provide all that in a more affordable manner than private sector ? After all I have seen the medicad office and I now have private insurance . The private sector is so much more efficient

May 07, 2017 at 05:50 PM gimmeabreak Says:

1) Aren't
3) Yes
4) Australians live longer than Americans (life expectancey) and better.

Zayer gut gezuckt.

May 07, 2017 at 09:04 PM I smell a hypocrite ... Says:

TrumpISprez4-8 Says:

Banned for expressing my opinion ?

If health care in Australia is so great why does everyone fly to the USA ?

Oppose socialized medicine, but fine with leeching 500k for experimental stem cell treatment? Unless, of course, you had pre-paid in that 500k.

May 08, 2017 at 11:31 AM TrumpISprez4-8 Says:

I smell a hypocrite ... Says:

Guess what that stem cell treatment worked. The patient recovered from it.

That's what we pay for and I would not trade that for nothing.

Exactly whats hypocritcal? I oppose socialized medicne because I want the option of buying a plan when healthy that will cover expansive treatments in case I am C"V sick. The government will never cover that. I don't see that as hypocritical.