New York - Trump And First Lady Commemorate Sept. 11 Anniversary

Published on: September 11, 2017 09:21 AM
By: AP
President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump stand for a moment of silence to mark the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, on the South Lawn of the White House, Monday, Sept. 11, 2017, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump stand for a moment of silence to mark the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, on the South Lawn of the White House, Monday, Sept. 11, 2017, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

New York - President Donald Trump is leading a national moment of silence on the anniversary of the September 11th terror attacks, his first commemoration of the solemn anniversary in office.

Trump and first lady Melania Trump observed a moment of silence at the White House on Monday in remembrance of the nearly 3,000 people who were killed when hijackers flew commercial airplanes into New York’s World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

The Trumps bowed their heads and placed their hands over their hearts as “Taps” was played on the South Lawn during the somber ceremony with White House aides and other administration officials.

The morning remembrance was held at 8:46 a.m., the time the first plane struck one of the Twin Towers on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001.

Trump and his wife were also paying their respects at a Pentagon ceremony led by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The observances come as the U.S. grapples with the death and destruction caused by two hurricanes in three weeks.

Vice President Mike Pence was representing the administration at an observance at the 9/11 memorial in Shanksville.

A native New Yorker, Trump has a mixed history with 9/11. He frequently uses the terrorist strikes to praise the city’s response but also makes unsubstantiated claims about what he did and saw on that day.

Trump often lauds the bravery of New York police officers, firefighters and other emergency responders who rushed to the Twin Towers, in some cases knowing they probably wouldn’t make it out alive, as an example of the resilience of the city where he made a name for himself.

But Trump has criticized President George W. Bush’s handling of the attacks, accusing his fellow Republican of failing to keep Americans safe.

Trump has also made dubious claims about Sept. 11, particularly saying when talking about Muslims that “thousands of people were cheering” in Jersey City, New Jersey, across the Hudson River from lower Manhattan, as the towers collapsed. There is no evidence in news archives of mass celebrations there by Muslims.

Trump has also said he lost “hundreds of friends” in the attack and that he helped clear rubble afterward. Trump has not provided the names of those he knew who perished in the attack, but has mentioned knowing a Catholic priest who died while serving as a chaplain to the city’s fire department.

Miami, FL - Hurricane Irma knocked out power to about 5.8 million homes and businesses in Florida, even as the storm's power waned as it crept up the state's west coast... Atlanta - Delta Air Lines Inc said it would cancel about 800 flights on Monday as it braces for Tropical Storm Irma at its Atlanta hub. "Hurricane Irma is expected to...

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:19 PM CNN Says:

What color shoes did the first lady wear?

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:17 PM Cancer &ALS; Upon Muslims Says:

The AP at its best tryng to politicize a poignant moment. o very sad that they use 9/11 to bash trump.

But for the record, I can't tell you if thousands of muslims were dancing on roof tops in NY & NJ. However, thousands surely rejoiced inwardly. And here is what we do know. When you our jewish brothers get brutally murdered during a friday night seuda at a family simcha, millions of muslims "commend" it. We saw liberal countries like the arab league ,Jordan and Turkey commend such viscous attacks and they surely never denounced it ( not even to the extent that trump denounced nazis.)

Muslims glorify our deaths. But wait isn't it only a few extremists. And oh those countries commending such acts only did it for politics? Oh really what politics? Wasn't it representing a large portion of their population if not everyone. Ok so we at least we know its not "just a few extremists" rather there are many muslims that glorify terror.

So now why should we think they did not glorify 9/11?

Sep 11, 2017 at 02:30 PM yamsar Says:

Cancer &ALS; Upon Muslims Says:

So now why should we think they did not glorify 9/11?

Since you voluntarily commit acts (like your username) that place you squarely in the category of "rodfim" along with all other "mosrim" and kapos, it is hard to value any opinion of your's, as you exhibit very poor judgment. Remember.. a rodef is "morodin v'lo maalin" meaning that anybody who knows your identity probably doesn't have an obligation to save you should they see you drown. Consult your local Posek

Sep 11, 2017 at 03:06 PM Ignore Archie Says:

yamsar Says:

#2 is just Educated Archie, as usual frothing with ignorance and self-righteous hate...ignore him, as that seems to get his goat more than anything else.

Sep 11, 2017 at 04:16 PM Cancer &ALS; Upon Muslims Says:

yamsar Says:

It must be soooo saddening to know that your PC ideas of how lovely billions of Muslims are wrong. I know its painful to admit. And so you resort to wierd lamm attacks that oh I am a rodef instead of admitting the truth. Just admit that there are hundreds of millions of muslims that hate you and me and would rejoice if chas vshalom we got hurt in any manner.

I stand with Pamela Geller!

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:00 PM Anonymous Says:

To this day, not one bureaucrat, either at the FAA, CIA, FBI, etc., was ever held personally liable for the negligence, malfeasance and incompetence, which led to 9/11/01. Nobody has been suspended, demoted, fined, or terminated. On the other hand, if 9/11/01 had occurred in South Korea, there would have been many incompetent government officials sent to jail.

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:13 PM Cancer &ALS; All Muslims? Archy Says:

Ignore Archie Says:

Liar

1) Its not ignorance. Its facts
2) Is not self righteous. Its common sense hatred. Modern day Islam is a religion of hate and they want you dead. Wake up and smell the coffee. Stop dreaming. All of Islam is feh. 9/11 should remind you of that.

And no I am not some white supremicst racist or bigot. I only hate muslims who want me and my people dead. I do not hate Latinos, Blacks LGBT's etc...

I don't mind if you choose to ignore me but I will continue to call out the truth as is.

Educated & Loving Archy

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:12 PM yamsar Says:

Cancer &ALS; All Muslims? Archy Says:

Liar

1) Its not ignorance. Its facts

Educated & Loving Archy

Hopefully you will do teshuva soon, or Hashem will shall silence you in other ways.. either way you won't "continue to call out.."

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:47 PM Anonymous Says:

yamsar Says:

So which rov/posek are u that u know he's a rodef?

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:50 PM Anonymous Says:

Every honest person admits that we all saw the news reports showing muslimes on rooftops dancing and celebrating on the eve of 9/11. No amount of political correctness idiocy denial changes that!

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:45 AM yamsar Says:

So which rov/posek are u that u know he's a rodef?

That he is a rodef is clear. No Posek needed for that. Rather, the question is only how to deal with a rodef in present times. That you would need to consult with your local rabbi.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:47 AM Anonymous Says:

CNN Says:

What color shoes did the first lady wear?

Melania Trump is wearing black shoes

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:57 AM Cancer& ALS Upon Muslims Says:

yamsar Says:

I"ll tell you what, admit that your PC nonsense is wrong. Face it . Admit that there are hundreds of millions of muslims who rejoice when jewish blood gets spilled. Stop dreaming . Cut the cra*. I lost a freind due to 9/11. And i have another friend that lost a baby nephew in a terror attack in israel. I personally have been spat upon by filthy muslim pigs in Yerushalim. This is not a matter of racism. Its common sense. My grandmother hated every German and rightfully so and I hate every muslim even more rightfully so since its part of their religon. I know what these animals are about. And so do you. So cut the nonsense.

Admit that Islam is a filthy hateful religion and that these guys are not humans. You admit that then for your sake I will personally stop using my user name.

I think this whole rodef thing is a distraction because the truth hurts.

Archy

Sep 12, 2017 at 01:03 PM yamsar Says:

Cancer& ALS Upon Muslims Says:

I think this whole rodef thing is a distraction because the truth hurts.

Archy

Now to address your inability to debate any issue at any level.

You keep on screaming and posting long rants about Muslims and PC. As I've said many times you aren't a rodef because your views are wrong. You are a rodef because of the way and medium you use to express your views. This can and will cause innocent Jewish blood to be spilled. Posting long rants about Muslims won't change anything.