London - London Mayor Says Britain Should Not Host President Trump On State Visit

Published on: September 24, 2017 05:01 PM
By: Reuters
Sadiq Khan the Mayor of London attends a meeting in the office of David Davis, Britain's Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, in Downing Street, London, September 11, 2017. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls Sadiq Khan the Mayor of London attends a meeting in the office of David Davis, Britain's Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, in Downing Street, London, September 11, 2017. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

London - London Mayor Sadiq Khan said on Sunday that it would be wrong for Britain to host U.S. President Donald Trump on a state visit, describing some of the U.S. leader’s views on Islam as “ignorant”.

Khan and Trump have a history. During the U.S. presidential election campaign, Khan was among many people who spoke out against Trump’s proposed ban on Muslims entering the United States, an idea he said would play into the hands of extremists.

Trump has criticized Khan, accusing the mayor of making a “pathetic excuse” over his statement urging Londoners not to be alarmed by the presence of additional police on the streets in response to an attack in June.

At the annual conference of his opposition Labour Party, Khan told an audience with GuardianLive that he thought having a state visit, which Prime Minister Theresa May has said is still planned, was “wrong”.

“I sometimes think people are ignorant,” he said, adding that it was his job to educate them.

Washington - Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg told Rosh Hashanah worshipers at a Washington, D.C. synagogue that being Jewish has helped her have empathy for... Brussels - Jewish groups in Europe and the United States expressed alarm on Sunday at the far-right Alternative for Germany's success in Germany's parliamentary election...

Sep 24, 2017 at 05:50 PM Cancer &ALS; Upon Muslims Says:

"the U.S. leader’s views on Islam as “ignorant”.

Oh really? I think Mr. Kahn's views are naive. Or let me rephrase it, its purposely misleading to cover up the truth. The truth is that Islam is a hateful religion. Its kind of like when a reform jew reinterprets the torah to b accepting of gay marriage and other abominations and then claims thats true judiasm. Its a similar lie.

Sep 24, 2017 at 07:06 PM Anonymous Says:

I am really upset that he is our mayour; and it is not because he is a Moslem because I don't think he practice his religion. He a a liberal not. Every day coming out how to punish drivers, diesels, cars, more bike laanes, getting rid of the Beautiful Boris bus. He wants to tie up the city. The average speed in the city is under 11mph. Out bike lanes and beside walk lights bike lights. Keeping traffic tied up more shut up wacko

Sep 24, 2017 at 09:32 PM PaulinSaudi Says:

I would certainly not want to invite President Trump to my house. I would not want to spend any time with him.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:49 AM scy4851 Says:

PaulinSaudi Says:

He probably wouldn't want to be in the same room with you either...

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:51 AM Anonymous Says:

To #3- Your house is in Saudi Arabia, the country which had 15 of its fine, upstanding citizens, participate in the hijacking and crashing of four American commercial airliners, causing nearly 3,000 deaths.

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:31 PM Anonymous Says:

What a surprise coming from a muslim.

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:32 PM Anonymous Says:

PaulinSaudi Says:

But certainly you'd love hosting the London mayor, right? Gee, what a shock,