Brooklyn, NY - VIN Video Interview: Trust, Honesty, Positivity And Communication Key To Election Win, Says Hikind

Published on: November 5, 2017 11:00 AM
 Yosef Rapaport (L), with City Council candidate Yoni Hikind at his RV Mobile campaign HQ. Yosef Rapaport (L), with City Council candidate Yoni Hikind at his RV Mobile campaign HQ.

Brooklyn, NY - In a pre-election interview with VIN News political correspondent Yosef Rapaport, City Council candidate Yoni Hikind discussed the importance of trust, his emphasis on running a positive campaign and his goal of becoming an effective voice for residents of the city’s 44th District.

Criticized by some for his lack of experience, Hikind noted that the single most important qualification for any elected official is trust, not the years they have spent in the political arena.

And while this may be his first foray into public office, Hikind cited a childhood that included frequent visitors such as former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Mayor Bill de Blasio, former Governor George Pataki, former Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former Senator Al D’Amato as the impetus for the significant amounts of time he has invested contemplating both the plusses and the minuses of being involved in the world of politics.

Asked if he intended to follow in his father’s footsteps if his bid for office is successful, Hikind assured Rabbi Rapaport that while he shares similar values with his father, he is very much his own person and that he is looking forward to sharing his own strengths with the community.

As a City Councilman, Hikind said he would make it his business to make sure that the next speaker would be made aware of the unique educational, funding and programming needs of the 44th District,  a particularly important move in today’s progressive climate.

“There needs to be a speaker that understands that and that’s number one,” said Hikind.

Hikind, who has spent much of his campaign hitting the streets and asking people to share their concerns with him,  emphasized the need for increased communication as a means of identifying solutions to complicated problems faced by area residents.

He said that his campaign has already been hard at work focusing on quality of life issues in the district, seeking out creative answers already in place elsewhere as possible solutions.

Addressing what has evolved into an extremely heated campaign, Hikind said that while he has no problem calling out a fellow candidate on mistruths, he was saddened to hear that there is any perception of negativity emanating from his camp.  He noted that he prides himself on his positivity, a trait acquired through much soul searching and hard work after seeing his father attacked by those with malicious intentions.

“When I was younger I had some in my heart ... I don’t like to use the ‘h’ word, the ‘hate’ word ... but I can’t deny that were parts of my heart that had feelings like that and I davened that I shouldn’t have that,” said Hikind. “I only davened that those people should not be in a position to hurt other people anymore. So I worked really hard on not having any of that.”

Asked by Rabbi Rapaport if he can expect the Hikind campaign to “call off the dogs,” for the remainder of the race, Hikind said that if there is any negativity, it was likely the work of passionate supporters buoyed by the excitement of a campaign that is “doing well”.

“There is a huge difference between ‘paid for by a campaign’ and people in What’s App that support you coming up with a funny cartoon,” said Hikind. “That is very different and I don’t support any of it, but I have nothing to do with that.”

watch below the entire 30 Min. interview with Yosef Rapaport.

Below video: Voters In Borough Park Sound Off On 2017 Council Race.

Washington - Newly released government documents regarding John F. Kennedy's assassination say allegations that Lee Harvey Oswald was connected to the CIA were "totally... New York - In a scathing editorial that appeared in today’s Daily News (http://nydn.us/2lPKdb6 ), the newspaper known for its liberal views came down hard on a...

Nov 05, 2017 at 11:36 AM Anonymous Says:

I don't know much about Kalmen Yeger, but the fact that he accepted the endorsement of the monopolistic Democratic machine tells me all I need to know about his politics, and not in a good way. I don't know much about Yoni Hikind either, but since he is not a candidate of the DeBozo party, he will get my vote!

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:46 PM wosup Says:

This interview says enough that we should all go out and vote for him

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:24 PM inNY Says:

I'm not sure I like the way he responds to the question about secular education, doesn't seem he really takes a stand, rather skirts the issue by giving advice that their should be communication.. Yoni, your a sincere and good guy, but you need to be more direct with your answers, and talk less.. you have my vote just because i'm upset at the other side.

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:27 PM triumphinwhitehouse Says:

Im voting yoni as is my mishpacha, since what the non district living yeger did by the dirty back room to get the nod is awful, plus yeger is a tool of the teachers union.

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:29 PM Yossi Says:

I am voting YONI..if he only has 10% heart like his father he will lead us the way his father did the last forty years. Burich asher Yoldesoy...

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:45 PM WeWork Says:

I'm sick and tired of the idea that we can only vote for people who are experienced, I see what those kinda political experts have accomplished in the past 8 years with all the experience they have.

Yoni, get someone to polish up your skills, your a good man, but like the other commenter here said, don't talk so much, get to your point without so many elaborations, it's makes you look insecure. but i like the fact that with you I see what I get, not polished, and no act your a real person..

Nov 05, 2017 at 03:31 PM Yakov Says:

I do agree that Yoni needs to improve some of his skills. However YONI has my and my family's vote regardless . Let the Greenfield era disappear once and for all. Dont like the way he plays politics, but i do wish him lots of luck whatever hes going to be doing.

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:02 PM Anonymous Says:

WeWork Says:

We have to vote for the candidate who seems best, not for the person who's most likely to win. That's the silliest fallacy of all: that we have to vote for whoever will win, regardless of anything else.

Nov 05, 2017 at 06:39 PM BP44 Says:

After watching the full interview, I'm reminded of a phrase: Just because you've cheered on the team, doesn't mean you can be team captain. Does Yoni expect to gain experience of osmosis? I'll vote for Kalman Yeger, because he has experience on the field, not in the stands.

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:04 PM shimy Says:

Just the fact that Yoni still stands strong despite being attacked, besmeared, poked fun off by the other candidate tells me he is real, I was sure he would drop out 2 weeks after he made the announcement, but I see he is standing firm on his ground.

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:59 PM Anonymous Says:

Yoni has stood tough for many causes, ans this speaks volumes for what he would do if elected. Yeger has a serious problem. He was not exposed to a role model of being a true עוסק בצרכי ציבור באמונה. Rather, he was raised to be a shyster, and to compromise the rigorous rules of truth and honesty to crush others to get rich and win. I fear that greatly. In fact, it is good reason to keep him away from public life.

Nov 05, 2017 at 09:23 PM Anonymous Says:

I was going to vote for Yoni, until I received a mass mailing, paid for by "friends of Yoni Hikind", that was basically a Yiddish rant against Yeger. Negative advertising strikes me as childish, so I'm voting for Tischler.

Nov 05, 2017 at 09:32 PM Anonymous Says:

BP44 Says:

Just because one has experience in the field does not necessarily make a good captain.

Nov 05, 2017 at 10:22 PM triumphinwhitehouse Says:

That's fine it's like those who voted for Johnson vs. Trump, just don't vote for the uft kalman yeger.

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:23 AM BP44 Says:

So you'd vote for a cheerleader over a quarterback? What are you, the owner of the Cleveland Browns? lol.

Nov 06, 2017 at 10:04 AM Anonymous Says:

BP44 Says:

Apparently, you've forgotten how nasty Greenfield's campaign was when he ran for councilman. And the the way Yeger was selected without a primary contest smacks of insider, backroom machine politics. If you're comfortable with that, then Yeger is your man. I, on the other hand, will vote for Yoni and take my chances with him.

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:10 PM Anonymous Says:

triumphinwhitehouse Says:

Yager is a great man. I have known him for years. he truly cares about causes and has helped my family out personally. I don't know what your beef with the man is. But Yager will make for a great council man. I am fully voting for yager

Nov 06, 2017 at 01:01 PM YITZCHOKLEVI Says:

I have known Yaeger for years as well. He has never been at the forefront of any issues of concern to the community. No one even thought about turning to him during difficult times. People always turned to Chaim Deutsch, Simcha Felder, and Dov Hikind. None of them are supporting Kalman.

Nov 06, 2017 at 01:31 PM triumphinwhitehouse Says:

is your last name Yeger, I have no beef with anyone just people trying to circumvent the democratic process.

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:11 PM Anonymous Says:

triumphinwhitehouse Says:

No I am just an individual not related at all who was helped by Yager.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:17 PM Anonymous Says:

Maybe your not aware of the nasty things that are being about Yoni in Yiddish as well. Most likely from Yeger or Tischler. All things being equal, I'm still voting for Yoni.

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:55 PM Anonymous Says:

At least they didn't mail that to me, a non-Yiddish speaker.

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:55 PM triumphinwhitehouse Says:

I wish there was a candidate who wasn't ignorant, crooked or gay.

Nov 06, 2017 at 08:41 PM Anonymous Says:

There is a boatload of schmutz on Yeger. I will not join his invitation to battle on who can throw more schmutz. The negative flavor in this campaign started from Yeger. Setting that tone is a horrible omen for what may come if he gets into office. Another site that is popular in the frum community has become the campaign manager for Yeger, or so it seems, and headlines another anti-Hikind story once or twice a day. It is so disgusting that I have considered boycotting that site on my computer. It certainly will not get my vote. My prediction is that Yeger will win, but that he will be forced to leave office during his first term because of problematic behavior.