New Jersey - Real Estate Broker Out Of A Job After Lakewood Vaad Calls On Employer To Take Action Following Anti-Jewish Facebook Comment

Published on: November 20, 2017 04:38 PM
Tony SloaneTony Sloane

Lakewood, NJ - A central New Jersey realtor is no longer affiliated with a major broker after a disparaging comment that he made on Facebook was brought to the attention of local media by the Lakewood Vaad.

Vaad spokesman Rabbi Moshe Zev Weisberg said that the group has been monitoring certain Facebook pages that often feature negative remarks about the Jewish community.

It was last week that a post written on the Jackson NJ Strong Facebook page by Tony Sloane, an employee of Weichert Realty, caught the attention of the Vaad.

The post in question questioned the constitutionality of the soon to be created Town of Palm Tree in upstate New York, prompting Sloane to post “Not so bad maybe they’ll all move back to New York.”

“There is a lot of stuff there every day that really crosses the line but in this particular case, we felt that since he was affiliated with a well known real estate company used extensively by members of the Orthodox community, it seemed appropriate to out him,” Rabbi Weisberg told VIN News.

The Vaad sent a release about the comment to several media outlets, including two local ones:  The Lakewood Scoop and the Asbury Park Press.

While the Asbury Park Press did not cover the story, The Lakewood Scoop ran with it, calling on Weichert to maintain its professional reputation by firing Sloane and distancing itself from his comments.

Weichert responded to the article within a day, said Rabbi Weisberg.

“I am told that they called him in and he didn’t change his tune so they asked him to leave the company,” said Rabbi Weisberg. “I don’t know if he resigned or fired him but I do know that they did the right thing and we were very pleased that they reacted appropriately.”

Sloane addressed the issue in several Facebook posts, saying that he resigned his position at Weichert because having his comment publicly posted by The Lakewood Scoop could be detrimental to the company and could hurt his co-workers, but that he would not be deterred from speaking his mind.

“So now that the lakewood scoop can’t take my job or my money there’s nothing left they can do I can speak freely and I’m going to keep on talking Lakewood Scoop,” wrote Sloane.

Defending his actions, Sloane noted that his comments were made on his personal account in forums that were unrelated to his employment and therefore had nothing to do with his job at Weichert.  He also took the Lakewood community to task for numerous other issues that he found problematic.

“My statement had nothing to do with religion more the fact that there’s many unfair things going on in Lakewood right now; misuse of housing associations to create same-gender swimming situations or people are fined and privatize busing that is costing the city Millions etc. My cousin is actually Jewish I could care less what religion people are.”

New York - Fox News Channel host Jeanine Pirro (juh-NEEN' PEER'-oh) has been issued a speeding ticket for driving 119 mph (192 kph) in a 65 mph (105 kph) zone in upstate... Detroit - An auto safety group is asking the government for a recall of Chrysler Pacifica minivans over complaints that the engines can stall without warning. The...

Nov 20, 2017 at 04:53 PM Willi boy Says:

Lakewood “Vaad” on Facebook, love it!!

Nov 20, 2017 at 05:07 PM Anonymous Says:

It's not anti semitic. It's perfectly accurate.

Nov 20, 2017 at 05:14 PM Phineas Says:

So now he really hates us and has nothing to lose.

Nov 20, 2017 at 05:16 PM anti semit Says:

doesnt he have a point though? lots of shihaza going on by certain people in that neighborhood, Also LOL as if frum people never talk derogatory about different socio economic groups, different racial groups. Also lots of nice people in lakewood.

Nov 20, 2017 at 05:35 PM jack-l Says:

It's not anti semitic. It's perfectly accurate.

accurately anti Semitic.
Oy is this guy gonna be ...........upset.

Nov 20, 2017 at 05:48 PM Anonymous Says:

jack-l Says:

accurately anti Semitic.
Oy is this guy gonna be ...........upset.

Orthodox Jews really do take over towns and turn them more like boro park.

Nov 20, 2017 at 06:34 PM ercsd Says:

He should sue Weichert. There are sites on the internet in which "religious" people are blogging using phony facebook pages because they don't want people to know who they are.(lohud) At least he wasn't being a hypocrite.

Nov 20, 2017 at 07:03 PM favish Says:

Orthodox Jews really do take over towns and turn them more like boro park.

whats wrong with boro park??

Nov 20, 2017 at 08:32 PM fat36 Says:

favish Says:

whats wrong with boro park??

You’re right when you live in a ghetto and you want to live on top of everybody else so you could know everyone else’s business there’s nothing wrong with it

Nov 20, 2017 at 08:40 PM Anonymous Says:

Not anitsemtic at all. He has a right to speak his mind. But kudos to the Vaad for going out there and fighting real crime and solving the world's problems.
Get a real job Vaad!!!

Nov 20, 2017 at 08:55 PM savtat Says:

Ay ay ay ay ay..... uncomfortable all around.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:52 PM Anonymous Says:

This phony realtor stated "My cousin is actually Jewish". Why didn't he also state "some of my best friends are Jewish".

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:22 AM Anonymous Says:

Because he doesn't have any friends.

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:23 AM Anonymous Says:

favish Says:

whats wrong with boro park??

Not everyone wants to live in boro park.

Nov 21, 2017 at 07:39 AM hernoor Says:

I hate when a big deal is made out of people commenting about these neighborhood issues concerning Jews. I think I would also be labeled an anti--Semite of I posted my opinions about the builders and neighbors who have taken away my privacy to the point that I have to keep my windowshades closed and all the building going on in Monsey/Spring Valley that turned this into a crowded and ugly looking place to live in.

Making a big deal and causing a person to lose his jobs over such comments causes more anti-Semitism all around. He didnt say gas Jews, Jews own all the banks, etc. He may be in the wrong regarding seperate hours for community swimming pools, but so what. People need to stop crying "wolf" every time someone says something they don't agree with. It is not anti-Semitism when someone has a different opinion about others changing the look and character of a neighborhood.

Nov 21, 2017 at 08:02 AM yamsar Says:

Probably because only his cousin is Jewish, but non of his best friends are Jewish.

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:18 AM The Professor Says:

hernoor Says:

Well spoken! Your remarks tie into a response to Poster #8, who asked what's wrong with Boro Park. Nothing - if you prefer that lifestyle, but it doesn't mean that observant Jews who don't value those particular neighborhood mores are heretics.
Some of us actually daven Ashkenaz, don't wear a gartel when we daven and still have kavonoh. Some of us believe that it is a worthwhile activity to pray for the safety of Israeli chayalim, even if you don't particularly believe in the country that they are defending. Some of us believe that there is nothing un-Jewish about a life of Torah im Derech Eretz, where college-educated men with employable skills can provide for their families and not be forced to resort to begging. However, the overwhelming pressure to conform in Boro Park so that grandchildren can be properly married is a reality that many observant Jews choose to avoid.

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:50 AM hernoor Says:

The Professor Says:

Being forced into a box is actually another negative of literally living in a box. You are under the watchful eyes of neighbors. Not that I do anything wrong, but I can't stand living in the chulant tup. I had people (some of whom I had no clue were my new neighbors) tell me that they saw me outside of my house. I kid you not. Many people dont know how to mind their own business. This is what Monsey/SV used to be, everyone minded their own business. Now people live so close to one another, their lives are exposed. It's ironic that we pray every day "mah toivy" and praise klal yosroel for the privacyof the tents in the midbar, while today frum Jews build and purchase houses that have windows are are exposed to their neighbors.

And believe it or not, many of us who want Monsey/Spring Valley to be what it was, are not Yekkish, MO, or even litvish. We are Chassidish. We are upset that our neighborhoods have become overcrowded, traffic congested, with ugly houses and ten families where they used to be one. I understand The communities are growing. I understand that taxes are high. So fine, one tenant, ok, but 2-8 tenants on a property that used to have one family houses?! Condos on what were residential properties?! Ridiculous!

I would love to move away from what people have made into what they call the "center" but unfortunately that is not an option for us at this point in time.

Nov 21, 2017 at 01:25 PM Anonymous Says:

Articles like this always bring out the anti semites and self hating Jews on VIN to spew their hate against frum Jews,

Nov 21, 2017 at 02:55 PM hernoor Says:

Yes because if we have to agree with the way you force people to live with overdevelepement and we can't even voice out objections because that means we are self hating Jews...No i dont hate myself nor other Jews, but I do hate what many Jews are doing regarding not respecting the characyer of the neighborhoods they move into.

Nov 21, 2017 at 03:57 PM Yiddishe Mama Says:

hernoor Says:

I don't see what he said was anti semitic or merited firing/resignation. How many really nasty comments have been addressed by this Vaad?

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:55 PM FactsRule Says:

A person has a right to express his hate. This Vaad could've asked for a meeting so that he could express what he thinks to representatives of the Lakewood community's different Jewish groups. I assume not everyone there is a Litvak as that is what I've heard. Jewish people are commanded to be a light, which is sometimes somewhat challenging.
I think that the Vaad should contact Weichert & ask that they contact this man in regard to a sit down.
If, after people explain to him why there's nothing wrong, or maybe some things, which could be improved, he apologizes, he could be reinstated as an agent, or whatever he was doing at Weichert.
Imagine that, making a bit of lemonade at the beginning of your Northeastern Winter season.
Oon, ich bin a id, in case someone has a shaaloh.

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:50 AM L-Chaim Says:

Because the horrible comments about non-Jews here are made by people hiding behind made-up names.