Washington - "It Is Time": Trump Recognizes Jerusalem As Israel's Capital

Published on: December 6, 2017 01:29 PM
By: AP
US Vice President Mike Pence (L) listens as US President Donald Trump (R) delivers his controversial decision to formally recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and his plan to relocate the US embassy to that city, in the Diplomatic Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA 06 December 2017. EPAUS Vice President Mike Pence (L) listens as US President Donald Trump (R) delivers his controversial decision to formally recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and his plan to relocate the US embassy to that city, in the Diplomatic Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA 06 December 2017. EPA

Washington - Defying dire, worldwide warnings, President Donald Trump on Wednesday broke with decades of U.S. and international policy by recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.

Despite urgent appeals from Arab and European leaders and the risk of anti-American protests and violence, Trump declared that he was ending an approach that for decades has failed to advance the prospects for peace. He also for the first time personally endorsed the concept of a “two-state solution” for Israel and the Palestinians, provided both sides agree to it.

“I have determined that it is time to officially recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel,” he said in a White House address, calling it “overdue” and in the best interests of the United States. He said recognition acknowledged the “obvious” that Jerusalem is the seat of Israel’s government despite the disputed status that is one of the key elements in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

“This is nothing more or less than the recognition of reality,” he said.

With Vice Pence Mike Pence looking on, U.S. President Donald Trump signs an executive order after he announced the U.S. would Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, in the Diplomatic Reception Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., December 6, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque   With Vice Pence Mike Pence looking on, U.S. President Donald Trump signs an executive order after he announced the U.S. would Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, in the Diplomatic Reception Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., December 6, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

Trump also directed that the State Department begin the process of moving the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem as required by U.S. law. Officials said, however, that the move will take years to complete.

Trump maintained that his decision would not compromise the city’s geographic and political borders, which will still be determined by Israel and the Palestinians.

Ahead of Trump’s speech, Arab and Muslim leaders spoke about the potential for violence. In Gaza, hundreds of Palestinian protesters burned American and Israeli flags. They also waved Palestinian flags and banners proclaiming Jerusalem as their “eternal capital,” language that Israelis similarly use for their nation.

Even America’s closest allies in Europe questioned the wisdom of Trump’s radical departure from the past U.S. position, which was studiously neutral over the sovereignty of the city.

Jerusalem includes the holiest ground in Judaism. It’s also home to Islam’s third-holiest shrine and major Christian sites, and any perceived harm to Muslim claims to the city has triggered protests in the past, in the Holy Land and beyond.

America’s consulate in Jerusalem has ordered U.S. personnel and their families to avoid visiting Jerusalem’s Old City or the West Bank, and urged American citizens in general to avoid places with increased police or military presence.

Palestinians watch a televised broadcast of U.S. President Donald Trump delivering an address where he is expected to announce that the United States recognises Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, in Jerusalem's Old City December 6, 2017. REUTERS/Ammar Awad Palestinians watch a televised broadcast of U.S. President Donald Trump delivering an address where he is expected to announce that the United States recognises Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, in Jerusalem's Old City December 6, 2017. REUTERS/Ammar Awad

Jerusalem - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday hailed U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital and move the... Jerusalem - The sufganiyah is the plump, shining star of Hanukkah in Israel. During the holiday season, the famed jelly doughnut poses in the windows of cafés and...

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:33 PM triumphinwhitehouse Says:

Tzadik may he have health and strength and see the demise of all the haters.

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:37 PM EMZEE Says:

Let this be a clear message to North Korea. When this president promises something, he delivers. Check your mailbox.

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:42 PM Anonymous Says:

What a wonderful and powerful speech! May Hashem continue to guide this great President on his courageous path. This is the best President the Jewish people and the State of Israel has ever had. Period.

פלגי מים לב מלך ביד ה' על כל אשר יחפוץ יטנו

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:46 PM MELECH Says:

MAZEL TOV! THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE BY PRIOR PRESIDENTS. HOWEVER, THEY ALL LACKED THE SPINE TO DO SO.

I'M CURIOUS TO KNOW WHAT THE TRUMP HATERS ON THIS SITE, HAVE TO SAY NOW?

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:50 PM YITZCHOKLEVI Says:

Can someone tell me, what we gained by this move? It seems to me that this will unite and incite Arabs to violence, which will result in an increase in Jewish deaths.
They want to destroy us anyway. This seems totally unnecessary.

Dec 06, 2017 at 02:46 PM Meloah Says:

Mr. President, thank you very much. However, this does not do much in regards to benefiting Israel more than before. I mean, the President is not recognizing the whole of Jerusalem as Israel's, only half. So the international status is the same. The question is if this will bring more pressure on Israel to make concessions...The world now could come to do the opposite, to recognize East Jerusalem and the whole West Bank as Palestinian and try to force Israel to comply with it. So, now we are in a lot more in danger than before...

Dec 06, 2017 at 02:50 PM yonasonw Says:

YITZCHOKLEVI Says:

They want to destroy us anyway. This seems totally unnecessary.

IY"H you are wrong...but I fear you may well be correct. After all is said and done it appears to be grandstanding without substance...I hope I am wrong.

That said, I suggest reasoning with most of your audience here is a losing proposition. If you disagree with them, you are their enemy.

I leave you with this historical tidbit:

Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto was commander-in-chief of the Combined Japanese Fleet until he was, in effect, assassinated in a USAAF ambush over New Guinea in 1943. As ordered, he conceived and directed the attack on Pearl Harbor, though he personally was opposed to starting a war with the United States. He said at the time:

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Dec 06, 2017 at 02:59 PM LionofZion Says:

Yay!

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:13 PM stamm Says:

Hashem runs the world. Hopefully the Palestinians will do as they say in that they wont come to the bargaining table because of this. I never thought this was important either however I did get the chills as the president declared.. and signed etc. Dont forget that this has something to do with what is happening in shomayim, hopefully for the good!!

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:29 PM Educated Archy Says:

yonasonw Says:

I leave you with this historical tidbit:

I have never considered you my enemy and never resorted to name calling and other childish behaviors despite our grievances So thats just for the record..

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:34 PM Educated Archy Says:

yonasonw Says:

I leave you with this historical tidbit:

Yeah but the Palestinians were not sleeping. These are the same anaimls that kill us and then when we put my cameras to protect ourselves the cry foul and resort to violence. These wild dogs are just already out of control.

And what's wrong with declaring west Jerusalem our capital? Its undisputed anyhow.

Bottom line is this, the Palestinians want us dead no matter what.

Lest you argue well I want them dead too. Very funny but irrational argument. I want them dead because they are killing us left and right with no mercy. I want them dead because violence is their MO. The second they seriously denounce violence I am all for them. Stop killing us and I won't wish death upon them.

Until they stop killing us may they be smitten with Cancer & ALS (no violence only our prayers)

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:44 PM Anonymous Says:

"It is time" but a very sad time when Trump thinks hes giving into Jewish demands. Not a single Jew benefits ffrom this move only the Zionistic propoganda does. Jerusalem is NOT a political zone its a holy zone that shld be nobodys capital.
What are the Israelis gaining now other than promoting pure hate and spiking antisemitism around the world. But theydont give a hoot as long as they achieved Theyre political goal. Yes, a sad time for every real Jew.

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:53 PM anon6 Says:

Mazel tov, about time. Hillary would never have done it.

Dec 06, 2017 at 07:14 PM Anonymous Says:

To #7- I have no sympathy for Admiral Yamamoto. If he was against war with the United States (after all, he had lived in the USA and knew of its customs), then he should have bowed out of the Pearl Harbor project. He could not have used the defense (if he had lived and was tried after the war as a war criminal), that "I was just following orders", as that absurd defense was thrown out at Nurenberg. However, the term "assassinate" pertaining to killing Yamamoto, was wrong. Yamamoto was an enemy combatant. As such, the U.S. Army Air Corps was justified in shooting his plane down over New Guinea. Incidentally, after his plane was shot down, and he was killed, the Imperial Japanese War Council refused to reveal that news to their citizens.

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:41 PM Anonymous Says:

triumphinwhitehouse Says:

Tzadik may he have health and strength and see the demise of all the haters.

Amen Gd bless this amazing courageous president, the greatest we have ever had!

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:42 PM Anonymous Says:

YITZCHOKLEVI Says:

They want to destroy us anyway. This seems totally unnecessary.

And without this, we live in peace with them, riiiiiiight? Amazing how stupid some people are.

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:43 PM Anonymous Says:

Meloah Says:

No it won’t bring more pressure on Israel, it will bring less pressure, and it shows the muslims that if they ever decide to come to serious peace talks, they have to face reality, Jerusalem belongs to Israel and always will.

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:45 PM Anonymous Says:

yonasonw Says:

I leave you with this historical tidbit:

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:46 PM Anonymous Says:

You’re not. Areal Jew, you’re netirei karta Schmitz, feh,

Dec 07, 2017 at 01:54 AM Anonymous Says:

And your a real Jew. A zionist despicable shmutz wanna be Jew. Totally unaffilitated with NK but you are defntly a dirtbag of the despicable hostile rishesdige Medina. feh!

Dec 07, 2017 at 08:39 AM yonasonw Says:

You’re not. Areal Jew, you’re netirei karta Schmitz, feh,

I suggest you're being myopic.

One can fully defend and believe in the righteousness of our claim to Yerushalayim, while at the same time believe that recognizing Yerushalayim as Israel's capitol today is dangerous and not in our interests.

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:00 AM yonasonw Says:

Educated Archy Says:

So true Archy...I was not referring to you.

That said, would you like me to chronicle all the vile names I have had laid on me here, from anti-Semite and self-hating Jew to liberal scum?

Peace

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:03 AM yonasonw Says:

Educated Archy Says:

Case in point, Archy...this is what "Anonymous" has to say about me in #18:

"Oh everyone here is well aware that you HOPE for violence and that our president fails. Because you’re a sick liberal and a traitor to America, and a Jew hater."

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:07 AM Idiot Says:

yonasonw Says:

I leave you with this historical tidbit:

Looks like somebody read a Wikipedia article... Unfortunately you have literally no concept of context. These are two different times and examples that have no relation to one another. Next time read a book instead of a snippet from an article.

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:53 AM yonasonw Says:

Idiot Says:

Au contraire, wise guy...see, e.g., Neptune's inferno by James Hornfischer, Lightening Strike, by Donald Davis, or The Reluctant Admiral, by Hiroyuki Agawa.

Dec 07, 2017 at 10:02 AM yonasonw Says:

Idiot Says:

More substantively, there is nothing time-bound about distinguishing (i) the righteousness of a cause, from (ii) the prudence of acting on that cause.

In 1941 Yamamoto believed in the righteousness of Japan's Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, as the Argentine military believed in the righteousness of their claim to the Falklands in 1983.

I believe fully in the righteousness of the Jewish claim to Yerushalayim. I happen also to fear that acting on it now may prove to be a dangerous strategic mistake.